• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 Delayed Till December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, they should just release Avatar 2 in 2029. Release it on the twenty year anniversary

Maybe Cameron has just run out of steam? It's not impossible. He's rich as fuck at this point and maybe he just doesn't have the passion for it anymore.

Remember all the talk of Battle Angel being a passion project for him and then he goes and gives it to the guy that directed Spy Kids.

It's very possible that the spark has gone out for the man and now he's just funding his crazy adventurous lifestyle.
Is Spy Kids really the first thing you associate with Rodriguez?

Jarmel

Banned
I legit don't understand who is even excited for Avatar 2. The first one was groundbreaking for its 3D and visuals, the second one would need some other gimmick. The story by itself kind of sucked.

It's a goddamn Cameron movie. That's a good enough reason by itself.

how does this even happen?

Shitty producing.
Wasteful preproduction process.
Producers and execs over-indulging JC because he's JC. I'm sure there's nobody left on the planet willing to tell the man 'no'.

My money's on 'all of the above'.

What is this now, six years of expensive-as-fuck delays? That would have torpedoed the career of any other director/producer long ago.

For some reason SCULLIBUNDO was very certain that Disney would move Star Wars out of the way in December 2019 and Avatar 2 would not budge from December 2019 (despite the long history of moving).

Isn't the Han Solo movie in May 2018 now?

I think they moved that so they wouldn't get in the way of Avatar but then he kept fuckin' up

So when is the studio going to pull the rug under Cameron like Konami did to Kojima?

Kojima didn't make the two highest grossing movies of all time

I am confused. Star Wars isn't stopping in 2019. Bob Iger said they have a plan for a decade and a half of more movies. The yearly Star Wars train isn't stopping in 3 years....

2017 - Episode 8
2018 - Han Solo movie
2019 - Episode 9 aka end of new trilogy
2020 - Some unannounced side story

The key thing is the new trilogy will have ended.

Kremzeek

Grampaw JC ain't gettin any younger.

They'd better hurry up, because with JC's rep of throwing tantrums he may have a stroke or heart attack.

cyba89

Nobody will remember what the first movie was about by the time the second one will be in cinemas. Not that this is a bad thing anyhow.

Don't worry about that.
The first movie will probably get a re-release in cinemas shortly before the sequel.

kswiston

Miller and Scott. Scott works non-stop and he's 79, but he's a freak.

I very much disagree with Ridley Scott as an example. He's very prolific, but his best stuff wasn't recent.

George Miller is a good pick, if a bit of a cheat since he was done shooting Fury Road before the big 70 :p

Eastwood had some of his best stuff after 70, so he's the best example. However, few directors are Clint Eastwood in terms of prolificness or consistency (even if I wouldn't put good Eastwood in the top tier of filmmaking).

Zombine

Banned
Me saying that we are going to get 12 of the 14 Transformers films before Avatar 2 is looking more and more likely.

It's a goddamn Cameron movie. That's a good enough reason by itself.
Guy hasn't made a movie since Avatar

It's like Kickstarter. Name isn't enough. Why should one be excited because it's a "goddamn Cameron move"? The movie itself should earn your excitement, not some amorphous trust based on past works.

gamz

I very much disagree with Ridley Scott as an example. He's very prolific, but his best stuff wasn't recent.

George Miller is a good pick, if a bit of a cheat since he was done shooting Fury Road before the big 70 :p

Eastwood had some of his best stuff after 70, so he's the best example. However, few directors are Clint Eastwood in terms of prolificness or consistency (even if I wouldn't put good Eastwood in the top tier of filmmaking).

Scott just makes a movie every year like Woody Allen, but he still hits on some good stuff. The Martian was very good.

I have such trouble imagining any sequel getting close to the first movie's money. I mean, I saw it, I thought it was fine, but it being the highest-grossing movie ever just feels like a shared delusion that everyone has agreed to kind of sheepishly forget about. I'll be fascinated to see if there's still hype for a sequel to that movie about the blue people from eleven years ago in 2020.

Sesha

He dropped Battle Angel Alita and then delayed Avatar 2 anyway. Wow. Just, wow. I sure hope all that exciting new tech is revolutionary and that Avatar 2 makes $2.5-3bn or something after all these delays.

shira

In 2020 people won't be going to theatres for big movies

Shit's going to be all Netflix and Apple/Disney streaming

Manu

He's probably delaying them while trying to come up with a good reason for anyone to give a shit about Avatar.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What if 2020 the 3D Hype has already ended? Nobody wants 3D at this point already, I dont think it will survive another 3 years.

Jarmel

Banned
Guy hasn't made a movie since Avatar

It's like Kickstarter. Name isn't enough. Why should one be excited because it's a "goddamn Cameron move"? The movie itself should earn your excitement, not some amorphous trust based on past works.

Well considering they haven't released any production material yet, there's really nothing to comment on in regards to how the movie itself is going to look like. However that's the case for most movie sequels that are early in pre-production. I would be excited for any Brad Bird film just on the notion that he's a great director. I'm looking forward to Incredibles 2 not just due to the fact that it's a sequel to the Incredibles but because Brad Bird is directing it.

Names alone are definitely worth paying attention to and worthy of being interested in a project.

gamz

He dropped Battle Angel Alita and then delayed Avatar 2 anyway. Wow. Just, wow. I sure hope all that exciting new tech is revolutionary and that Avatar 2 makes $2.5-3bn or something after all these delays.

He's not just sitting at home. He's still working on Avatar.

I bet you'll see some of his new tech he's working on in Battle Angel. Just a hunch.

31 years ago was Aliens, which is insinuating that Terminator 2 wasn't a good movie, which is an "opinion invalidated" level statement.

I have issues with Edward Furlong's performance that really prevent me from loving that movie. But even forgiving that, 26 years isn't exactly a hot streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom