• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2: First look at sequel's next generation cast.

robotrock

Banned
You mean the very only exceptions to a general rule.

Also, one is an R rated horror movie (That unexpectedly blew up) and the other a niche unrated netflix thriller.

If you think James "Blockbuster" Cameron is doing an interesting, risky endeavour with the PG 12 sequel to the highest box office performer ever, I don't know what to tell you.

You think Stranger Things is niche? Also I think it's rated TV-14.

Lord Fagan

You'd think that in a post-IT/Stranger Things world, people wouldn't have such intense knee-jerk reactions to the mere presence of children in a film.

Just because those projects were successes, that doesn't mean that projects with children are any better than they have been in the history of film. For every Goonies, there's dozens and dozens of sunset girls from the Matrix. This Swiss family Robinson noise feels like an attempt to broaden the demographic palette of a film that didn't really need it in the first place.

I think there's justifiable reason to be concerned, but I'll reserve full judgment until release, I spose.

CloudWolf

The real question is which one won't.
Exactly, the Avatar franchise hasn't exactly turned out to be a career maker. I can't name anyone who wasn't already well-known that has had a significant career after Avatar except for Zoe Saldana, but I feel that that one doesn't really count. Before Marvel cast her, her career was also going nowhere fast.

Which is weird when you think about it, considering Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time. You'd think that some of this would reflect back on the actors.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Exactly, the Avatar franchise hasn't exactly turned out to be a career maker. I can't name anyone who wasn't already well-known that has had a significant career after Avatar except for Zoe Saldana, but I feel that that one doesn't really count. Before Marvel cast her, her career was also going nowhere fast.

This is nonsense.

You'd think that in a post-IT/Stranger Things world, people wouldn't have such intense knee-jerk reactions to the mere presence of children in a film.
You'd also think the fact this is directed by James Cameron, who's managed to get some fairly decent kid actors from Aliens and T2, would give them a little assurance. Of course, this is still very much a wait and see ordeal, but there's absolutely nothing worthy of eliciting all these "not seeing it anymore" comments.

SeanC

Not sure why people automatically shit on kid actors when there's been more great child actors and performances in the past decade or so than there have been five decades before that. Kid actors are awesome.

TACPhilly

Banned
so it has a handful of kids. is anyone here actually thinking thats the whole cast?? lots of movies had kids but werent the focus, they just add a critical element. the first film didnt really highlight the day to day life as much as i wanted, especially from the human side, so its good to see theyre doing a lot to expand and dive into this world and all of its elements. im sure these kids will have critical moments but the adults are still the focus. im actually really interested in seeing this because he was raised so much different and will have some interest things to flesh out. how he raises his kids may be controversial to the tribe and naytiri

Furlong single-handedly holds T2 back from GOAT status

Oh well, the main characters all being kids sounds fucking terrible, but we'll see.

Those are exceptions though.

You mean the very only exceptions to a general rule.

Also, one is an R rated horror movie (That unexpectedly blew up) and the other a niche unrated netflix thriller.

If you think James "Blockbuster" Cameron is doing an interesting, risky endeavour with the PG 12 sequel to the highest box office performer ever, I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, sure. There's no shortage of bad movies with kids in them. There's also no shortage of bad movies in general. There's also any number of great films that star kids. ET, A Christmas Story, Pan's Labyrinth, Jurassic Park, The Sixth Sense, Harry Potter, True Grit, Paper Moon, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stand By Me, Taxi Driver, The Professional, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Empire of the Sun... The list goes on and on.

Do I expect Avatar 2 to join the ranks of some of those films? Eh. I dunno. Do I think the fact that children are in the film means anything for the film's final quality? Eh. Not really.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Aside from Star Trek (which was the same year as Avatar), what notable roles did she have exactly?

Salanda worked on a wide variety of movies since Avatar came out, and as an actress remained very much in demand which led to her landing the Marvel gig. Just because she hadn't played a role as wildly "notable" as Nety'ri until she got Gamora doesn't mean her career was going "nowhere fast" by absolutely any stretch of the imagination, especially considering she was continuing to play Uhura in the Star Trek movies, which were wildly seen and subsequently made a lot of money.

If a film actor isn't starring in a new, big budget franchise every year, that doesn't automatically mean their career is floundering. Not every actor can be Tom Cruise, but at the same time, even if they aren't they can still lead a healthy and successful career where they're regularly getting hired for films with comparatively few breaks in-between, as did Salanda. To claim Salanda's career was in such dire straights at that time is ridiculous to the extreme.

TACPhilly

Banned
You'd also think the fact this is directed by James Cameron, who's managed to get some fairly decent kid actors from Aliens and T2, would give them a little assurance. Of course, this is still very much a wait and see ordeal, but there's absolutely nothing worthy of eliciting all these "not seeing it anymore" comments.

even in Titanic the small moments higkighting the kids were very effective ie when jack was dancing with the little girl it was subtle and the scenes where they showed the poor kids being put to bed were gut wrenching) needless to say, Cameron knows how to use kids in highly effective ways.

Surfinn

Not sure why people automatically shit on kid actors when there's been more great child actors and performances in the past decade or so than there have been five decades before that. Kid actors are awesome.

It also depends on how they're used in the films.

I think the outrage here is pretty ridiculous. I mean I don't blame people for being skeptical but we have almost no information about or vision of what this is going to turn out to be.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I mean, they did open a theme park at Disney. Lol, you gotta expect them to try to have a hook for kids with that in mind.

Trust the process. Trust Cameron.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wonder if this means the time jump between 1 and 2 is now longer than 8 years. Maybe we’ll see the new human ship in A2?

Enilced2

Honestly my bigger issue is he hasn't made anything in almost a decade and hasn't made anything good in over 2 decades. If this was James Cameron in the 80s/90s no worries

So it's about kids, is it? Hopefully the Avatar: Next Generation business is kept to a minimum. I want some more pandora action and CGI spectacle, Jim. Give me a better more interesting story that explores the mythology, this time too. That can't be hard, right?

Imagine the torture James Cameron is going to inflict on these poor children.

I can imagine they'll quit acting after Avatar.

Honestly my bigger issue is he hasn't made anything in almost a decade and hasn't made anything good in over 2 decades. If this was James Cameron in the 80s/90s no worries

He's only made two films in the past twenty years, discounting documentaries. One of those films (Titanic), I love. I'm not worried.

SeanC

I mean, they did open a theme park at Disney. Lol, you gotta expect them to try to have a hook for kids with that in mind.

The lack of something appealing to kids is one of the reasons Avatar really didn't have a big penetration in the pop culture world and kids clamoring for toys or games - nothing really "cute" or "cool" like an awesome droid or something fluffy. Yeah, this is absolutely surgical in a way and I'm sure producers, financiers and studios are happy.

So obviously kids are part of these films. Nobody is saying they are the focus of these films.

I don't see how they could be more irksome than Joel Moore's character in the first film. And he didn't ruin the movie.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
All those tween boys need to be edgy and brooding.. no smiling.

Ugh.

Why would they choose this to be the first cast photo?

SpaceWolf

Banned

Trust the process. Trust Cameron.

While this may be true, I feel the enduring myth that kids automatically responding to franchises just because they might happen to have other kids in them is probably one of the greatest fallacies in Hollywood from a studio perspective. A lot of the series that have always been the most popular with children rarely have kids in them (Star Wars, for example) and subsequently, it's never affected any kid's ability to engage with the material. I don't think it makes the story any more immersive for them. If the characters and the world around them is compelling enough, they'll respond regardless.

robotrock

Banned
While this may be true, I feel the enduring myth that kids automatically responding to franchises just because they might happen to have other kids in them is probably one of the greatest fallacies in Hollywood from a studio perspective. A lot of the series that have always been the most popular with children rarely have kids in them (Star Wars, for example) and subsequently, it's never affected any kid's ability to engage with the material. I don't think it makes the story any more immersive for them.
I have never met a kid that likes Star Wars, only Five Nights at Freddy's and The Fast and the Furious

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I have a very fleeting memory of the exact details of the original avatar, but i'm guessing all these kids are Jake and Zoe's offspring, and we'll follow them through their time at Na'grassi Jr. High...

Some character names and descriptions

Jamie Flatters plays Neteyam, the eldest child, while Britain Dalton plays second born Lo'ak and Trinity Bliss rounds out the family as the youngest, Tuktirey.

There are also three young members of the Metkayina clan of reef people, with Bailey Bass playing a skilled freediver named Tsireya (described as like a young Neytiri of the ocean). Filip Geljo is playing Aonung, a hunter/free diver and son of his people's Olo'eyktan (that's clan leader in Na'vi speak), while Duane Evans Jr. plays Rotxo, another free diver and hunter.

Meanwhile, Jack Champion is playing a human — teenager named Javier "Spider" Socorro who was born at the Hell's Gate facility on Pandora, but who has more interest in the nature of the planet than spending time at the human facility.

robotrock

Banned
Some character names and descriptions

Jamie Flatters plays Neteyam, the eldest child, while Britain Dalton plays second born Lo'ak and Trinity Bliss rounds out the family as the youngest, Tuktirey.

There are also three young members of the Metkayina clan of reef people, with Bailey Bass playing a skilled freediver named Tsireya (described as like a young Neytiri of the ocean). Filip Geljo is playing Aonung, a hunter/free diver and son of his people's Olo'eyktan (that's clan leader in Na'vi speak), while Duane Evans Jr. plays Rotxo, another free diver and hunter.

Meanwhile, Jack Champion is playing a human — teenager named Javier "Spider" Socorro who was born at the Hell's Gate facility on Pandora, but who has more interest in the nature of the planet than spending time at the human facility.

Already forgot everything in your post. Goddamn why is this franchise so forgettable

overcast

Holy shit the negativity is insane in here. I even cringed at that shot of the kids but it's literally nothing man. Kids are in the movie, chill.

I hate when they introduce a new generation of characters for a sequel.

...except when I don't give a flying fuck about any of the original characters.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I didn’t like the original, but the special effects helped me pusj through. A kid centric story might make the sequel unsalvageable.

Top Bottom