• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender comic gets new creators, new designs

A-V-B

That's what everyone said about The Wire too.

What am I missing?

The fact that Nickelodeon lost every single cel of animation from The Last Airbender? We are stuck with DVD transfers until neural networks redraw the show for our great grandchildren.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He’s gotta find some other claim to fame after his predecessor saves the world 🌎 (a bunch).

Aang would probably try to talk Vaatuu down or some shit.

Aang creates cool techniques like this and the Air scooter.
102135-avatar-the-last-airbender-air.gif

Korra creates jack shit.

Pointless creatively deficient Avatar.

My ranking for the comics from best to not the best

The Rift
North and South
The Promise
Smoke and Shadow
The Search

Unlike a lot of people, I've really enjoyed the comics and I feel the writer and artist really nails the tone and characters, and especially the comedy. The Rift is my favorite since it tackles Aang's anxiety at his culture disappearing and being replaced by a Earth Refinery, lots of arguing between Aang and Toph, and also has some Yang Chen Flashbacks along with a battle with a spirit. Some real good Air Nomad-y goodness.

North and South tackles Katara fear of progress with the Southern Water Tribe expanding and mimicking the Northern Tribe along with her fear of her dad moving on and forgetting about her mother.

The Promise shows the tension between Aang and Zuko and what it means to restore balance to the world right after a war where cultures have mingled and mixed. Do you uproot Fire Nation settlers and send them back even when some have married Earth Kingdom people?

Smoke and Shadow tackles what the Fire Nation people think of Zuko, and whether he is an usurper to the throne.

The Search is Zuko finding his mom. It's kind of lame but still enjoyable enough. I think a lot of people thrown by a dumb fakeout the comic pulls.

All that is missing is a story focusing on Sokka. The one thing that made me sad when it seemed like the comics were being replaced with Korra ones. I want to see Sokka's epic journey to recover Space Sword.

Aang creates cool techniques like this and the Air scooter.
102135-avatar-the-last-airbender-air.gif

Korra creates jack shit.

Pointless creatively deficient Avatar.

Korra's fighting was WAY cooler than Aang. The TLA love and Korra hate is ridiculous. How people can want to see more of TLA world, aside from the characters, is crazy to me. We're talking about a world where only a handful of characters can perform bending feats outside of the basic elements and where there is little technological development vs one where we have all sorts of bending abilities and where there's bending combined with steampunk tech. LOK's world is vastly more interesting regardless of what you felt about the characters themselves

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Korra's fighting was WAY cooler than Aang. The TLA love and Korra hate is ridiculous. How people can want to see more of TLA world, aside from the characters, is crazy to me. We're talking about a world where only a handful of characters can perform bending feats outside of the basic elements and where there is little technological development vs one where we have all sorts of bending abilities and where there's bending combined with steampunk tech. LOK's world is vastly more interesting regardless of what you felt about the characters themselves

Korra used fire bending influenced MMA for all bending styles in all 4 seasons. That was litterally it.
There's absolutely no flavour to her "growth". The most notable thing she did was learned metal bending which the writers clearly tacked on due to how indistinct she actually is combat wise.

A-V-B

Korra's fighting was WAY cooler than Aang. The TLA love and Korra hate is ridiculous. How people can want to see more of TLA world, aside from the characters, is crazy to me. We're talking about a world where only a handful of characters can perform bending feats outside of the basic elements and where there is little technological development vs one where we have all sorts of bending abilities and where there's bending combined with steampunk tech.

Personally speaking, I enjoyed the more rarefied technological environment presented in the first show. Something about the heavy steampunk world in Korra kinda put me off, and I'm not entirely sure what it was. It's a cool idea but it didn't really jive for me. Might've just been down to execution.

Korra used fire bending influenced MMA for all bending styles in all 4 seasons. That was litterally it.
There's absolutely no flavour to her "growth". The most notable thing she did was learned metal bending which the writers clearly tacked on due to how indistinct she actually is combat wise.

You say MMA as if the "mixed" isn't there and that it doesn't incorporate a number of different styles. I prefer it to Aang's bending styles which were fairly indistinct aside from when air bending and his final fight with Ozai.

Personally speaking, I enjoyed the more rarefied technological environment presented in the first show. Something about the heavy steampunk world in Korra kinda put me off, and I'm not entirely sure what it was. It's a cool idea but it didn't really jive for me. Might've just been down to execution.

I personally don't. It's why a lot of fantasy that seems perpetually stuck in the middle ages turns me off and the ones that try to incorporate technology are vastly more interesting

So wait, are they STILL taking place in the "1-2 years after Sozin's Comet" time frame?

Legend of Korra raises a bunch of questions about Aang and his friends and their later lives, none of which are going to be answered in comics where the characters are 15 years old. We need to move forward.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You say MMA as if the "mixed" isn't there and that it doesn't incorporate a number of different styles. I prefer it to Aang's bending styles which were fairly indistinct aside from when air bending and his final fight with Ozai.

I personally don't. It's why a lot of fantasy that seems perpetually stuck in the middle ages turns me off and the ones that try to incorporate technology are vastly more interesting

How are they indistinct they're entirely different come on now.

Korra's fight choreography and direction doesn't compare to Avatar's, it doesn't have the same "umph".

Watched both shows fervently.

Will take more Avatar: The Last Airbender over Korra any day.

On topic I'm surprised that the comics are still going. I stopped researching them after getting into the confusing story of Zuko's mother.

Also, I guess the old adage is true: it is completely and utterly impossible to have a discussion about ATLA without someone in the first three posts derailing the thread to take a shit on Legend of Korra.

I will not hear anyone talking shit about my wife Korra
or her abs
in this thread.

Korra's fight choreography was entirely boring until season 3. Same goes for Korra's world.

ATLA's was interesting from day one since it was taking from the Jackie Chan school of fighting.

Takyon

How old are they meant to be in those designs?
I'm guessing Aang is 16 or so.
Also, funny thing about the original series: All of the main characters are ridiculously short. Katara isn't even five feet tall. Zuko, the tallest of the group is 5 foot 5 at sixteen years old.

EDIT:
This is useful for seeing the differences in design

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Korra as a series is mediocre compared to the last air bender, and korra didn't advance anywhere near as much as i'd have liked as a character..and plenty of the decisions made were just plain dumb. The legit best thing about the series is the win for LGBT romance in a popular series, but that's all i'd give it outside of general animation quality. it relied far too much on the original to draw people in to begin with

Chindogg

Like clockwork Korra stans gotta shit up yet another thread.

Glad the TLA comics are continuing and aging the characters.

VeeP

Yes more of the best Avatar group. The less of the other mentioned the better

Give me more Aang/Toph/Sokka/Katara/Zuko or more Wan pls.

Like clockwork Korra stans gotta shit up yet another thread.

Glad the TLA comics are continuing and aging the characters.

Maybe if they tell themselves LoK is better enough times it'll come true?
Even though it never will...

Top Bottom