• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Is this the first speed run you've watched?

Yes, and I'm slightly offended that they call them "runs."

I once ran a race in 105*F weather. It was a 5k, and the dude in front me passed out. I was instructed by my coach to jump over his body and continue the race. An ambulance ended up driving on the course to pick up the dude. Apparently he had a heart attack. We were still required to race and run around the ambulance. At the end of the race about half of the runners vomited at the finish line and passed out. Comparing video games to sports is an insult. Apparently you have no idea what goes into real sports.

I love speedruns and have been watching AGDQ since 2011.

Oh, vehicle sections...

Rs9hAW3.gif

Revven

How exactly is he getting through the walls? I'd like to try and master it so i can blow my friends minds lol

Back up against a wall, hold up and left with the analogue stick with the camera facing away from the wall (so Drake is looking down at the floor) then L1 + Select + L2 (I think?) repeatedly and I think you'll clip through. That's sorta what I thought I heard them say on the stream.

RagnarokX

For comparison, there are 5 human enemies in all of Tomb Raider 1/Anniversary.

This section needs a sword fight between two vehicles, balls jokes, swinging on vines with monkeys, and killer ants.

Surprised how well this game holds up graphically. Must have been pretty mind blowing at the time.

Really? I was about to post about the complete opposite. When they started playing I assumed that it was the Vita version until I realized that Drake's Fortune was the subtitle for the first game. I remember playing it and it looking pretty good but seeing it now I think it looks really awful. The textures are terrible, the lighting seems really flat along with jaggies galore. I also don't remember the animation looking so odd. Could it be the capture hardware they're using? Or Twitch encoding. It really doesn't look very good on stream, and I'm running it on source quality.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Really? I was about to post about the complete opposite. When they started playing I assumed that it was the Vita version until I realized that Drake's Fortune was the subtitle for the first game. I remember playing it and it looking pretty good but seeing it now I think it looks really awful. The textures are terrible, the lighting seems really flat along with jaggies galore. I also don't remember the animation looking so odd. Could it be the capture hardware they're using? Or Twitch encoding. It really doesn't look very good on stream, and I'm running it on source quality.

Lighting is superb in certain levels such as the submarine early in the game and textures were really good back then. Sometimes textures dont load right away though. The character models are bad compared to later games.

Flipyap

"My dad was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and I think it's really awesome... that things like AGDQ exist."

That was some dramatic pause, announcer man.

antibolo

Banned
Drake backing his ass through walls is the real treat here. This has been a ton of fun so far.

"Ah man, how are we getting inside this place"

"Oh that's easy, I'll just shake my ass against this wall..."

"Yeah I don't think I'll ever get used to this, Nate"

dmr87

Time to recharge for tomorrow, gonna be some good shit.

F-Zero
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II
Quake II
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Descent

The ultimate in "Holy shit this game is broken" runs is Blasto. By far my favorite run last year because I just couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously broken it is.

Top Bottom