• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2016: January 3rd - 10th.

BY2K

Membero Americo
dYRumsu.png

Starting with Splatoon this year!

Games Done Quick is a series of charity video game marathons. These events feature high-level play by speedrunners raising money for charity. Games Done Quick has teamed up with several charities in its five-year history, such as Doctors Without Borders and the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Other big runs featured: Bloodborne, Super Metroid (Reverse Boss Order), Final Fantasy IV, Brain Age TAS vs Human Competition, Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest, Pokémon Yellow, Diablo II, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out Blindfolded (with possibility of a blindfolded race), Super Mario Maker custom levels blind race, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, the A Hat in Time Beta, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix, Transformers Devastation,

VODS: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/3z9fyi/agdq_vod_thread_2016/

DONATION LINKS:

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donate/17
https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/17

And remember, don't get banned before a big event you had to start the thread for!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Nice.

New games I spotted this year that I can imagine will be entertaining:
Splatoon
Transformers: Devastation
Axiom Verge
Bloodborne

Regiruler

Splatoon's campaign I would assume? It's kinda difficult to speedrun multiplayer
unless you're playing rainmaker

Tizoc

Can we please get Ys games into these events already please? I don't think they've ever been featured :X

JazzmanZ

I've seen a reverse boss Super Metroid run before, it's seriously amazing and nerve wracking.
Looking foward to it and the weird Super Mario Maker run.

gnexus

Schedule this years looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing:
The Talos Principle
Axiom Verge
SOMA
Splatoon

Plus there's a donation incentive for a blindfolded turbo tunnel run in Battletoads. Lol. Should be a great marathon.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
CTRL+F "werster" = No results found

CTFL+F "shenanagans" = just as a bonus

Worst GDQ ever confirmed.

Sykotik

I'm happy this year isn't just the same games as the past marathons. It was getting stale.

Quite a few new games this year, actually. I'll definitely check it out.

Sesha

Line-up looks great. Feels fresher than last year.

Hope the DMC3/4 run isn't a complete abortion like last time. For a truly great DMC4SE run they should get an extremely skilled player to go through Bloody Palace by styling the entire way through, Donguri-style. Sadly that won't happen.

SJRB

Gold Member
Awesome, I absolutely love AGDQ. Will try to watch as many hours as I can.

Edit: yooo Sinister and Zallard doing the blindfolded Mike Tyson's PunchOut again, HYPE.

Kumubou

I'm mainly up for some of the smaller games getting run. Iji getting added is a surprise (but a pleasant one), the Cloudbuilt run should be absolutely nuts given how fast that game can get, and Snapshot's mechanics all seem to be designed for people to find the goofiest (and finickiest) shortcuts ever. That and there are a couple of runs that I don't think will ever get old for me, like Blast Corps or blindfolded Punch-Out.

And someone's running Lagoon? Ugh.
Can we please get Ys games into these events already please? I don't think they've ever been featured :X
They've been submitted multiple times, but it's never accepted and the main issue is how long it would take. Felghana takes a bit over two hours and Origin can be just under three (depending on the character), which is a lot of time for a single game. There really aren't many games on the schedule that are allocated more than 90 minutes (and most of the ones that are tend to be classic Nintendo games). That and for some events, there may just be no one who is able to run them at an acceptable pace.

Honestly, the lack of a cutscene skip really hurts those games. You could probably finish Felghana in under 90 minutes if you could just cancel all of the cutscenes in the game, but it's something the series has never had (even Celceta just lets you fast forward through them, not skip them outright -- and that game and 7 are way too long to ever be considered).

SM race not happening? wut
If it was a reverse bosses Super Metroid run, that race would probably end in tragedy as it's really easy to take an L in that run. The solo run is probably going to have a couple of safety saves, due to how frequently runners wipe out in that category (especially early on).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Let's see if this AGDQ manages to rekindle the fun that was lost since summer of 2014

It won't

Nanashrew

Banned
Sweeeet can't wait!

Ethan Stockton of Nintendo will be attending. Last stream he had he showed off donation prizes that he'll be giving out and some gifts for his favorite speed runners. He's volunteering to do stuff too, so you might see him translate for JP speed runners during interviews and maybe even donation readings.

Revven

Sweeeet can't wait!

Ethan Stockton of Nintendo will be attending. Last stream he had he showed off donation prizes that he'll be giving out and some gifts for his favorite speed runners. He's volunteering to do stuff too, so you might see him translate for JP speed runners during interviews and maybe even donation readings.

Oooh, cool, nice to see Nintendo involvement finally! I suppose it was only a matter of time after the NWC though.

These events have not been too much fun to watch after they banned touhous and randoms on the couch. I'd like to be proven wrong this time.

42 minute bloodborne run? how

Pre 1.05 skips. You get to the Forbidden Woods right after the clinic, glitch the Shadows of Yharnam boss, rush Rom, The One Reborn and Mergo's Wet Nurse and get the 'wake up' ending.

It's pretty dull imo. And I'm not one of those loonies who hates on glitched runs. It's just that that particular run isn't very interesting.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oooh, cool, nice to see Nintendo involvement finally! I suppose it was only a matter of time after the NWC though.

Well, this is not really on behalf of Nintendo. For Ethan, this is personal trip because he genuinely loves speed runs and getting to meet speed runners, he's even learning speed run a game himself.

EDIT: Though for all we know, we could still see Nintendo involvement through donation prizes like Wii U's. Some of the prizes Ethan is giving away come from overstock at Nintendo and his own personal collection.

Top Bottom