• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awful Accouncing: UFC REPORTEDLY BANS ARIEL HELWANI FOR LIFE AFTER DOING HIS JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who's covered pro sports for a specific team I will say this... there are things the team specifically will tell all the reporters NOT to tweet about or write about.

If you break those rules then you will get banned from the team facilities.

Messi

As someone who's covered pro sports for a specific team I will say this... there are things the team specifically will tell all the reporters NOT to tweet about or write about.

Thats not what happened here.

But they weren't told to not report this? They weren't told at all. There wasn't an embargo or a NDA or anything of the sort. Ariel used his own sources to report the story a few hours before the PPV went live. As a journalist that's his job and he didn't breach any rules by doing so. The UFC just didn't like that someone broke the story before they did, it's as simple as that. UFC spokesman Dave Sholler then said it was because Ariel "didn't reach out to comment" before posting the news. Apparently that warrants a lifetime ban for three people.

I think it's incredibly petty to ban three people for life from MMAFighting because they're pissed that one of them did their job.

Chesskid1

Banned
wow, i knew dana was immature but not this bad

rHRSvIW.png

TaterTots

Banned
No, he's good. There was talk of him fighting early last year, but Vince drove a dumptruck of money to his house to do a very limited number of wrestling dates, so he changed his plans.

I suspect it's always been in the back of his mind to fight one more time now he doesn't have the issues he was having with diverticulitis back then.

Yea I thought he retired due to some neck injury or something. I stopped following and I guess I received the wrong word. I doubt he'll put in the work for a one and down. He'll probably go on a small run again.

Yea I thought he retired due to some neck injury or something. I stopped following and I guess I received the wrong word. I doubt he'll put in the work for a one and down. He'll probably go on a small run again.

No, he's still under contract to the wwf. He'll be 40 when that ends. I would expect this to be his last fight.

I wasn't defending the UFC for kicking these people out, just wanted to point out it's common in pro sports for reporters to withhold certain info at the team/league request.

The UFC should have put out an internal message to reporters to not talk about Brock until after the announcement.

I mean let's be real here
It's their big stinger for UFC 200, Ariel's going to break that if he can just out of spite

He probably expected blowback but not getting 3 people bopped

Fox318

wow, i knew dana was immature but not this bad

rHRSvIW.png

nothing wrong with Dana yelling at employees for leaking the story but banning reporters is a wholly different matter.

I mean if Dana wants the sport could be like the WWE where there are no reporters following the product at all and you have to pay just for ESPN to put your stuff on tv.

nothing wrong with Dana yelling at employees for leaking the story but banning reporters is a wholly different matter.

I mean if Dana wants the sport could be like the WWE where there are no reporters following the product at all and you have to pay just for ESPN to put your stuff on tv.

That's exactly the problem. Dana wants the UFC to be treated like a legitimate sport, but doesn't want everything that comes with that.

I don't know shit about UFC but I know who Ariel Helwani is. This is some goddamn bullshit.

Sure as hell not supporting UFC after this.

Chesskid1

Banned

yeah you're right here. one of the reasons i hate dana is for always belittling fighters so that tweet really stuck out for me

Hycran

Banned
The more and more I learn about this situation, the more it seems Dana is trying to out carny Vince. I don't know if it's possible, but god bless him he is trying.

Unless he broke embargoed info received from Zuffa, breaking info from sources is what reporters do. Dana sounds like he's acting like a child.

Fox318

even wwe isn't this carny anymore

They recently featured a storyline where they brought up the fact that one of the performers brother overdosed on drugs and died alone in a motel room.

They also didn't bother to ask or tell their family about prior to using a drug overdose death to try and sell toys and tshirts to 4 year olds.

UFC is nowhere near WWE levels of carny

I mean let's be real here
It's their big stinger for UFC 200, Ariel's going to break that if he can just out of spite

He probably expected blowback but not getting 3 people bopped

Ariel takes his job seriously and really wouldn't be bitter like that. The UFC on the other hand has a history of this kind of crap. Firing fighters for not signing likeness rights away, banning them from wearing their own sponsors while forcing them to wear UFC's gear for pennies on the dollar of what their own sponsors paid, denying fighters HoF entrances due to Dana's personal issues with the fighters, etc...

UFC previously made Fox fire Ariel because he reported evenly on some of their Fighters essentially going with Free Agency to guage their value. It's scummy stuff.

Connor/Owens would the most interesting thing WWE can do if they that is the guy they get in return. Both guys know how to say thing right things at the right time to build a great rivalry.

No, the most interesting thing they can do is anything involving Ronda Rousey or maybe Conor battling Cena, not throwing Conor against the comic book clerk.

3N16MA

Banned
UFC has had it out for him for awhile now.

Wasn't Dana pissed that Ariel broke the Diaz/Conor fight for UFC 200?

dreamfall

This is so amateur. He's a great journalist and the way they've treated that team from MMA Fighting is trash. I hope he addresses it on the MMA hour because Sholler, White and all those other UFC execs that issued that order to get them out of the building should be fucking ashamed.

It also bothers me that the rest of the MMA community is silent. Where are the rest of the journalists asking about what happened? What about the fighters? Why is it okay that an entire organization can get uptight about a fight announcement and issue lifetime bans?

Hell, that entire crew I love. Lin's photgraphy is my favorite in the fight game. Just feel angered by the whole thing.

3N16MA

Banned
This is so amateur. He's a great journalist and the way they've treated that team from MMA Fighting is trash. I hope he addresses it on the MMA hour because Sholler, White and all those other UFC execs that issued that order to get them out of the building should be fucking ashamed.

It also bothers me that the rest of the MMA community is silent. Where are the rest of the journalists asking about what happened? What about the fighters? Why is it okay that an entire organization can get uptight about a fight announcement and issue lifetime bans?

Hell, that entire crew I love. Lin's photgraphy is my favorite in the fight game. Just feel angered by the whole thing.

No one wants to get banned. They want to continue to feed Dana puff pastry questions.

UberTag

No, the most interesting thing they can do is anything involving Ronda Rousey or maybe Conor battling Cena, not throwing Conor against the comic book clerk.
Ronda gets to fight (and possibly lose to) Stephanie McMahon at WrestleMania.

McGregor would win the first fight against Cena and lose the next so he can lift up Cena's arm and point to him as "the man".

Chesskid1

Banned
After initially declining to speak, an emotional Helwani spoke for about 15 minutes Sunday to Yahoo Sports.

“I was brought to the back by UFC [public relations] and told by Dana White that I had to leave the arena,” said Helwani, who said it happened just prior to the main event. “Dana mentioned that from what I recalled that Brock Lesnar was upset the news was released early and that this could have ruined their deal.

“He repeatedly said, ‘Go cover Bellator. We don’t want you here.’ … I said, ‘What did I do wrong?’ He said, ‘You’re too negative.’

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-s-...ds-to-be-fixed-immediately-001337459-mma.html

fauxtrot

Banned
Glad I've never given UFC a dime. I had decided I'd purchase 200 but I'll be using alternative means instead due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom