• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk will finally make his UFC debut at UFC 203 in September

Status
Not open for further replies.
cm-punk-ufc-182-qa-1.jpg

Well this should be interesting. The long wait to finally see CM Punk in the Octagon is almost over.

CM Punk announced Thursday morning on the new UFC Unfiltered podcast that he will be facing Mickey Gall at UFC 203 on Sept. 10 in Cleveland. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani had previously reported that debuting at UFC 203 was the plan for Punk.

"I think there's probably something seriously wrong with me," Punk said with a laugh. "Everyone is trying to figure out why I would want to do this. I'm a guy who gets bored easily and I have goals and there's things in life I enjoy. It's not about the destination; it's about the journey."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/2...fc-debut-will-come-against-mickey-gall-at-ufc

cirrhosis

he's gonna destroy the other guy and become the next Andersen Silva by tapping into that mystic + wild WWE energy that catapulted him to fame and glory originally

If Punk manages to win this fight the levels of salt coming from WrassleGAF will be legendary

Punk winning would certainly be shocking considering the reports that have come from the gym that well, he's not doing well.

If I care at all about this fight, it's in a negative way. CM Punk isn't qualified to fight in the UFC.

Oh no doubt. Its just a side show attraction and you have to look at it for the fun of it. The odds are Punk is gonna get beat down

Punk's UFC debut is going to be in the very same arena where he originally walked out of the WWE just before an episode of Raw on January 27, 2014.

UberTag

dude should have just gone to NJPW.
You're probably right. But he had something to prove to himself. He knows he could have flourished in NJPW because the likes of Michael Elgin have gone over there and flourished. Punk wanted to challenge himself by attempting something he wasn't sure he could do. Frankly, this is more the UFC's fault for giving him a blank check endorsement all these years than Punk's for testing his limits.

Of course, I'm an oddball when it comes to my thinking. I also don't believe there's a chance in hell we see Punk back in the WWE before 2020 at the absolute earliest and I would still put money on him NEVER going back. It's not like he needs the money. He might... however... need the attention. But he's, frankly, shown he can get that in countless ways from other companies. He doesn't need to get it from the WWE - and they'd just job him out anyway. He would make Roman - who isn't exactly straight edge, as we now know - look strong.

I know Punk has always been kinda of a dick but why is he so hated in the WrassleGAF circles?
Wrestling fans tend to care more about the corporation than individual wrestlers. They would prefer to watch a person suffer an oppressive work environment than to admit that there are problems with the business. Punk had the gall to defy that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I know Punk has always been kinda of a dick but why is he so hated in the WrassleGAF circles?

I don't hate CM Punk. I hate people who cheer his name in arenas in 2016. Dude was fine, last couple years were pretty lousy but thats understandable. I'd rather not ever see him back in a WWE ring because they're better off without him but I think it'll eventually happen after he gets clobbered in this fight.

Levito

Banned
The CM Punk signing is a total embarrassment for the rest of the UFC roster, and the sport of MMA in general. It's not because he was a pro wrestler; Brock Lesnar, Ken Shamrock, and many other MMA fighters have been a part of pro wrestling. Pro wrestling is one of if not *the* hardest things to in entertain and sports. It's not about that.

What's embarrassing is the UFC is the no#1 MMA promotion in the world, every athlete there worked years and years to get there. The roster is made up of Olympians, BJJ world champions, NCAA champions, and more. CM Punk has no experience in competitive martial arts, he's only there due to marketability. It brings the whole roster down and makes things look carny. They might as well sign Chris Evans while they're at it. Nate Diaz was candid about this.

Since I know it's bound to come up: Lesnar had decades of amateur wrestling experience and became a NCAA champion before he was brought to the WWE, so that comparison holds no weight.

So yeah, I hope Mickey Gall sends him packing.

What's embarrassing is the UFC is the no#1 MMA promotion in the world, every athlete there worked years and years to get there. The roster is made up of Olympians, BJJ world champions, NCAA champions, and more. CM Punk has no experience in competitive martial arts, he's only there due to marketability. It brings the whole roster down and makes things look carny. They might as well sign Chris Evans while they're at it. Nate Diaz was candid about this.
The greatest trick the UFC ever pulled was convincing their fans that MMA ever had integrity.

Heel

The greatest trick the UFC ever pulled was convincing their fans that MMA ever had integrity.

Modern MMA sports purists are the worst. It's almost like they forget the very basis of the UFC is a hapkido guy fighting a sumo wrestler, or something.

Hell, it was originally supposed to be surrounded by an alligator-infested moat. This shit is carny to the core.

Levito

Banned
Modern MMA sports purists are the worst. It's almost like they forget the very basis of the UFC is a hapkido guy fighting a sumo wrestler, or something.

It's almost like it's been 23 years since UFC 1, and that there are different owners than in 1993, and that what was once a basically human cock fighting as evolved into an actual sport.

I mean, if it's just carny--why is CM Punk fighting a hand picked opponent with only 2 pro fights? It's almost like there's a gargantuan skill separation from him and the rest of the roster, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom