• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge 2 comes out TODAY on Switch

django-unchained-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar-leo.gif

I may just get that, even tho I never got to finish the first one (there is a boss I could not get through... then I lost my save and never got around to go all the way again).

Anyway, I had almost exclusively AAA for a while and I need something more pure to wash out the bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: Isa
Absolutely loved the first game but still feel a little nervous about this one due to the changes, I'm sure once I've watched/read a couple of reviews from reviewers I trust that I'll end up getting it. I had no idea that it was out today. I bought the first on PS4 so I'll stick with the PS4 for this too I think.
I have far too many games to play at the moment and not a lot of time to play them.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Never played these before is it important to play the first one? I need a good metroidvania
Then you don’t need Axiom Verge 1.

I’d say I’ll wait for people’s comments and reviews before trying AV2, but after the immense praise for the first game turned out to be totally unjustified in my opinion, I’ll skip this altogether until it’s literally €3 in a sale, however long that may take.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Doesn't sound to bad.

It does however seems to be a vastly different game in certain aspects than its predecessor.

I will definitely pick this up when i find the time to play it.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Picked it up immediately yesterday, because I adore the first game. Didn't start playing yet however, because I have shit ton of stuff to go through before the big games start coming next month :messenger_grinning:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Doesn't sound to bad.

It does however seems to be a vastly different game in certain aspects than its predecessor.

I will definitely pick this up when i find the time to play it.

Finished and enjoyed the first one so I bought it blindly this morning (PS4). Didn't even knew it was coming out so not sure what to expect lol. I'm balls deep in Nier Replicant and Zelda SS so I could've waited but it made a nice belated bday present for myself =P

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Played a lil bit, once you got more powers and become stronger its alright. I dont like the music in some places and the dialogue is cringe. She said what the hell 5 times in like the first hour.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Finished and enjoyed the first one so I bought it blindly this morning (PS4). Didn't even knew it was coming out so not sure what to expect lol. I'm balls deep in Nier Replicant and Zelda SS so I could've waited but it made a nice belated bday present for myself =P
Those damn first world problems and obligations.

I just started playing Metaloid: Origins and Hades comes out on friday. Not to mention all the other games i'm interested in.

And now this! :messenger_grinning:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
On the other hand i'm never out of games to play, whenever i have time to play.

Looking at it from that perspective i should go and buy Axiom Verge 2. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just accepted that my desire for new experiences ie games will never go away completely. With that said it's a rarity I buy games day one except for my must haves (Zelda, Resident Evil, Halo, etc) and pay full price, mostly sale because they're *old* and the odd sub 20€ indie like in this case Axiom Verge 2

So yeah..

do it jewish GIF

🙈

Last edited:

GymWolf

The more i look at av2 the more i lose interest, it really looks generic\dull as fuck.

I mean the last 4 indies game that i played (ender lilies, death door, ori 2, fist) all have some aesthetic element or gameplay element that catch the eyes in the trailers, but this one does absolutely nothing for me.

Leaving that aside, have fun guys.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Tell us more!

Are there at least different weapons? How is the moment to moment gameplay?
Yes there are weapons and gadgets. So far I have a melee weapon, projectile, drone weapon, and hacking weapon.

this one is a lot more focused on strategy and thinking than the first AV. It’s more difficult figuring out where you’re going and so far I’ve yet to come across any bosses, though there are more difficult and bigger enemy types.

SpiceRacz

I'm loving it so far. I think if you're a fan of the first, you'll really dig this. It has a similar vibe to the first, but feels like it's own thing. The combat is more difficult imo and requires a different approach to enemies, sometimes, but that's a welcome change. The first game was pretty easy and I found myself only using a handful of the different weapon power ups. Visually, I think it's gorgeous in spots. However, I can also see why some people will be turned off to the game from the trailers. Especially when held up against the first game.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

I cant get over how god awful the music is in some areas, that woman chanting. They even have her singing like shes underwater. I loved the music in 1. Also, the breach world is a joke.

I got the PS4 version, playing on the PS5. Here are my thoughts after about 30minutes of play:

1 - The soundtrack is still amazing
2 - I hope that the sound of the other weapons is different, because the pick we get at first gets annoying fast
3 - I am fairly certain that ranged weapon would be more fun, but let's see how it evolves... I would like at least a sword beam when I am 100% full
4 - Controls are generally great

You still have that sense of mystery going on, which is great for a game like this, but I would have likes graphics more in the range of 32–bit 2D Castlevania SOTN than that 16/8–bit hybrid they choose.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
did you end up getting it?
i am having issues with the art direction just like the first one :(

No I was planning on waiting longer than this, like a couple of weeks. I know someone who finished it however and he really liked it.

Fart Knight

Just finished it. Yeah, I liked the first more. The ending wtf. Boss fights and the world are forgettable imo. I do like the traversal as a drone.

Total time 9 and 40 minutes. Items 89% Map 99% Deaths 17

Peter303

I'm about ten hours in but nowhere near the end, I keep getting lost and not knowing what I'm supposed to do next. It's enjoyable though, mostly. It suffers the same problems as the first, annoying enemies that are just frustrating to fight and I end up running past most of them. It's like they are all based on Fleaman from Castlevania. The sound effects are awful and really grating, like the first game.
The additional breach world is a good addition.

Fart Knight

Youre not missing out on anything when running past enemies. You get skill points for defeating bosses. Invest skills in (drone) damage, health and level up your hacking abilities.

Last edited:
I'm stuck in a place called
The Filter(first time here)
and I can't interact with anything anymore. Is it a glitch or am I not seeing something?

Top Bottom