• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) impressions thread

john tv

Somehow I feel that the combat mechanics is a bit focused on speed running/time attack the stage.
Yeah, it's definitely more of a score/tech-oriented game. Try not to think of it like a traditional platformer. Just getting through the stages isn't going to be exceptionally hard, but really good players will be able to pull off some amazing shit.

Yeah, it's definitely more of a score/tech-oriented game. Try not to think of it like a traditional platformer. Just getting through the stages isn't going to be exceptionally hard, but really good players will be able to pull off some amazing shit.

So basically like MMZ?

John can you tells us what kind of text was removed?.

TnK

I don't think I am liking the impressions for this game.

I really wanted an MMZ style game, and apparently, it is nowhere near that game. Game is too easy and the combat is a bit dull? Uh oh..

So, how does it compare to MMZ? Judging by footage I'd imagine it's not as difficult, but is the level design up to par? I always loved how Inti knew exactly where you would try to jump over a chunk of the level and would have spikes right in your landing spot

Shinta

Banned
Does the gameplay add new and interesting things? Do you get more moves?

I'm interested in this, but it looked like you tag enemies then zap them, and that's all you do over and over.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So, how does it compare to MMZ? Judging by footage I'd imagine it's not as difficult, but is the level design up to par? I always loved how Inti knew exactly where you would try to jump over a chunk of the level and would have spikes right in your landing spot
The level design feels bland in comparison to mmz, even if there are some interesting gimmicks here and there. It might have something to do with how much time you spend standing around waiting while enemy health drains though.

Wasn't feeling great after the intro stage, but I've been digging all the others afterward. It doesn't actually play like the Zero games despite how it may look. It's more about how effectively you can get through the stage while manipulating your skills. It's actually pretty cool.

Alright just finished the intro.

...Eh.

There's nothing bad about it but there isn't anything good about it either.

First, the text. Yes, it is super obtrusive however it got much easier to deal with when I turned the 3D slightly up. If you play with it off, the text completely covers the stage terrain, characters and enemies but with 3D on it brings the text somewhat into the foreground which allows your eyes to focus on the stage because you're "looking past" the text. It's kinda like how when you wear glasses, you don't notice the glass as much. At least that's how it was for me. Still, there is that thankful option to disable it with the X button.

Next, the combat. Freaking. Boring. I've never felt IntiCreates had a very good understanding of how to design levels around a projectile based weapon, which is why they were much better playing to Zero's swordplay rather than Mega Man's buster. GV's buster has the tiniest shot possible and it is extremely hard to see which you use to tag enemies or items for a max of three tags that can also overlap. You then hold R or A to shoot lighting at the targets and overlapping tags take more damage. Simple...but boring. Here's the main problem: because of how tiny and limited the buster shot is, you tend to stop when you see an enemy, tag, and then wait for zap to kill him. That's because the buster is too weak to kill (does it even do damage??) and the electric attack doesn't deal damage at a sufficient speed so the gameplay at this point is functional, but slow and unengaging.

Compare that to, let's say, Mega Man X where you can be running a see an enemy coming toward you. Your natural response is to start shooting and sure enough, they'll be dead long before they reach you. Same thing with flying enemies as you can jump to deal with them. You are engaging the enemy without losing momentum which is satisfying and intuitive. The basic combat is too involved and requires too much of your attention to do so little.

The momentum is butchered by this system yet I can imagine something that could greatly help and that is allowing GV to fire the gun at an angle while moving as well as the ability to duck. The combat is too restrictive. I'm fine with zapping being the only way to kill, but you need to lighten the restriction on the buster if you're going to take away its effectiveness. Shooting in one direction worked with Mega Man because your objective was just shoot and dodge. This one is shoot, tag, zap, dodge, watch electric gauge and it really bogs things down. I can only imagine going faster though this game if I memorized the enemy placements, but only so I can avoid dealing with them. And that does not sound fun. Could you imagine Contra gun play being this complicated?

Lastly, I am optimistic. That is because you have the ability to change weapon equipment and get more skills by leveling up. You also can get items like rings and pendants that can give you tweaks to your attack properties as well as a shop where you can build items, although it does something I hate which is require you to gather miscellaneous junk that you use to craft the items. You can grind money, but these crafting items you can seemingly only get at the end of missions by drawing them from blank cards at the end of a mission. How well you did determines how many draws you get. This just screams padding to me. "Grind for money, but also grind for random drops".

I haven't beaten any bosses so I don't know what you get from them and just like past Mega Man titles, special weapons make the game. If Mega Man could only fight with his standard buster in his games, there is no way he'd have lasted as long as he did. So we better find that weapon set up that helps Azure Gunvolt, or he might not survive two weeks.

kiryogi

Banned
I spent more time on Mighty Gunvolt at first lol, cleared it with Gunvolt infact. It's 5 stages total, you face bosses with agility and patterns you'd never face in a Megaman, but it's still as Megaman as you get. Each character has different abilities, IE Gunvolt can double jump.

Moving on to Gunvolt itself though. . . This game is fast and frenetic as hell. If you're stopping to zap the enemies, you're doing it wrong. You should be dashing, tag'em and and jumping by as you zap them. I am always on the move while zapping unless I hit a wall or its a closed room confrontation. The gun is simply for tagging, don't play this like Megaman. The game play and design definitely lends itself to speed runs and whatnot.

DooD1234

Alright just finished the intro.

...Eh.

There's nothing bad about it but there isn't anything good about it either.

First, the text. Yes, it is super obtrusive however it got much easier to deal with when I turned the 3D slightly up. If you play with it off, the text completely covers the stage terrain, characters and enemies but with 3D on it brings the text somewhat into the foreground which allows your eyes to focus on the stage because you're "looking past" the text. It's kinda like how when you wear glasses, you don't notice the glass as much. At least that's how it was for me. Still, there is that thankful option to disable it with the X button.

Next, the combat. Freaking. Boring. I've never felt IntiCreates had a very good understanding of how to design levels around a projectile based weapon, which is why they were much better playing to Zero's swordplay rather than Mega Man's buster. GV's buster has the tiniest shot possible and it is extremely hard to see which you use to tag enemies or items for a max of three tags that can also overlap. You then hold R or A to shoot lighting at the targets and overlapping tags take more damage. Simple...but boring. Here's the main problem: because of how tiny and limited the buster shot is, you tend to stop when you see an enemy, tag, and then wait for zap to kill him. That's because the buster is too weak to kill (does it even do damage??) and the electric attack doesn't deal damage at a sufficient speed so the gameplay at this point is functional, but slow and unengaging.

Compare that to, let's say, Mega Man X where you can be running a see an enemy coming toward you. Your natural response is to start shooting and sure enough, they'll be dead long before they reach you. Same thing with flying enemies as you can jump to deal with them. You are engaging the enemy without losing momentum which is satisfying and intuitive. The basic combat is too involved and requires too much of your attention to do so little.

The momentum is butchered by this system yet I can imagine something that could greatly help and that is allowing GV to fire the gun at an angle while moving as well as the ability to duck. The combat is too restrictive. I'm fine with zapping being the only way to kill, but you need to lighten the restriction on the buster if you're going to take away its effectiveness. Shooting in one direction worked with Mega Man because your objective was just shoot and dodge. This one is shoot, tag, zap, dodge, watch electric gauge and it really bogs things down. I can only imagine going faster though this game if I memorized the enemy placements, but only so I can avoid dealing with them. And that does not sound fun. Could you imagine Contra gun play being this complicated?

Lastly, I am optimistic. That is because you have the ability to change weapon equipment and get more skills by leveling up. You also can get items like rings and pendants that can give you tweaks to your attack properties as well as a shop where you can build items, although it does something I hate which is require you to gather miscellaneous junk that you use to craft the items. You can grind money, but these crafting items you can seemingly only get at the end of missions by drawing them from blank cards at the end of a mission. How well you did determines how many draws you get. This just screams padding to me. "Grind for money, but also grind for random drops".

I haven't beaten any bosses so I don't know what you get from them and just like past Mega Man titles, special weapons make the game. If Mega Man could only fight with his standard buster in his games, there is no way he'd have lasted as long as he did. So we better find that weapon set up that helps Azure Gunvolt, or he might not survive two weeks.

Man, I was hoping for something very fast paced like the MMZ series. I been playing a bunch of Zero games too and just started playing Shinobi 3DS, while fun and hard is a little too slow for my taste. Hmm, I may still get this anyway and hope Inticreates knows how to improve in the sequel.

Greenzxy

I thought Inafune-kin was all about western appeal? The games he's been making lately is as anti-western as you can get.

kiryogi

Banned
Magnet Man isn't playing it properly to say. As John mentioned, the game is very speed/time based for score attack. You can move while zapping which actually keeps the momentum going.

This isn't Megaman, this is Gunvolt.

DooD1234

Magnet Man isn't playing it properly to say. As John mentioned, the game is very speed/time based for score attack. You can move while zapping which actually keeps the momentum going.

This isn't Megaman, this is Gunvolt.
How does the boss battles hold up? Is there a ranking system for how well you play?

kiryogi

Banned
How does the boss battles hold up? Is there a ranking system for how well you play?

Only done the intro stage, although Aeana mentions above there's lots of dodging involved. And yes, there are rankings for each stage. Literally as you start each stage, there's a timer the entire time. This game will be amazing to watch in score attacks or speedruns.

Oh one disappointment in Mighty Gunvolt. . . Spikes are not instadeath.

Aru

Are you really taking Famitsu's scores seriously? Famitsu

No. That's why I said I would wait for better reviews. But usually when a game gets a low score in Famitsu, it gets low scores almost everywhere. There are exceptions, like Demon's Souls.

john tv

John can you tells us what kind of text was removed?.
Not sure what is OK to talk about (there are embargoes and stuff), but story related cutscenes are intact. It's more the fluff stuff that got in the way of the action that they cut, which IMO is a good thing (and I understand/respect that opinions may be divided on this).

kiryogi

Banned
Aw sheeet. I love when the vocal theme kicks in while your electrocuting fools left and right. That crescendo of badassery.

It also means you completely suck D: It's the equivalent of getting the gold racoon leaf in Super Mario 3D World/Land or getting thrown into Ninja Dog in Ninja Gaiden Black. Great song otherwise. Is there anyway to turn that off?

john tv

It also means you completely suck D: It's the equivalent of getting the gold racoon leaf in Super Mario 3D World/Land or getting thrown into Ninja Dog in Ninja Gaiden Black. Great song otherwise. Is there anyway to turn that off?
Hah - no no no. It also kicks in if you are doing AMAZINGLY badass. ;)

Not sure what is OK to talk about (there are embargoes and stuff), but story related cutscenes are intact. It's more the fluff stuff that got in the way of the action that they cut, which IMO is a good thing (and I understand/respect that opinions may be divided on this).

Thanks John, I know that probably is a hard thing to talk, the developer should be the one explaining. Are you guys going to talk about the game in the next podcast? ;)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The song or the Song of the Diva powerup?

Talking about the one that plays when you hit 1000 kudos, which is pretty awesome.

Decided to go back to do the intro stage and play it like I'm speedrunning it after finishing my fourth boss stage. Yeah, playing it like you're speedrunning it makes the intro stage much better. but I do feel like it's not a very good first impression if you're playing the game normally. The game has a lot of cool level gimmicks in the boss stages, so it does get better past the intro stage.

john tv

Thanks John, I know that probably is a hard thing to talk, the developer should be the one explaining. Are you guys going to talk about the game in the next podcast? ;)
Good question! Not sure if it'd be the next one, or the one after that, but I imagine we'll be talking about it plenty soon!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Talking about the one that plays when you hit 1000 kudos, which is pretty awesome.

Decided to go back to do the intro stage and play it like I'm speedrunning it after finishing my fourth boss stage. Yeah, playing it like you're speedrunning it makes the intro stage much better. but I do feel like it's not a very good first impression if you're playing the game normally. The game has a lot of cool level gimmicks in the boss stages, so it does get better past the intro stage.

There are actually several different songs that play. I think there are 8 in total or something like that. All vocal tracks.

Beckx

Potentially really stupid question: how do you get Mighty Gunvolt? I didn't get prompted for a second download.

john tv

Potentially really stupid question: how do you get Mighty Gunvolt? I didn't get prompted for a second download.
Go to the eShop account activity bit in menu -> settings/other and you can find your MGV download code on the receipt.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mighty Gunvolt is already out? Can't wait to try it out...looks better than Gunvolt does!

Top Bottom