• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Park is Real (MK 8 DLC)

Lé Blade Runner;160200694 said:
Note to every developer out there: this is how you do DLC. The amount of quality content versus the price you pay is absolutely mind-blowing. Time to get back to MK8, which is - dare I say it? - the best Mario Kart of all time.

It's especially hilarious if you compare this to Destiny's "expansions".

Overdelivering on value indeed.

plank

Note to every developer out there: this is how you do DLC. The amount of quality content versus the price you pay is absolutely mind-blowing. Time to get back to MK8, which is - dare I say it? - the best Mario Kart of all time.

With the digital deluxe promotion I paid nothing.

oatmeal

Banned
One thing I love about this baby park is that it's all antigravity so it will be even more chaotic as people are slamming each other.

Baby Park looks great, it will be really hectic. Even moreso than the Excitebike track (which is one of my faves).

That metro track also looks awesome, woah. And Ribbon Road is so cute!

E-phonk

Banned
What made Baby Park fun on GC for me was that you could play it with friends who weren't that good at mario kart thanks to the easy lay-out.

I can't even handle Ribbon Road, it's so damn glorious.

What made Baby Park fun on GC for me was that you could play it with friends who weren't that good at mario kart thanks to the easy lay-out.

Exactly, I have family and friends who like playing, but cannot handle roads that have you falling off all the time. So I am always happy to see new tracks like that. Plus Baby Park is a nice quick race to have in the middle of long sets, and can get really frantic.

i knew my whining would pay off one day

image.php

Well done!

I can't even handle Ribbon Road, it's so damn glorious.

Exactly, I have family and friends who like playing, but cannot handle roads that have you falling off all the time. So I am always happy to see new tracks like that. Plus Baby Park is a nice quick race to have in the middle of long sets, and can get really frantic.

Heh, maybe I'll try to play Baby Park with my mom. She played a game with me once. That was Mario Kart on the SNES. She was so happy that she was doing well until I pointed out she was playing on the bottom screen. She was standing still for a good 20 seconds.

Davey Cakes

I prefer to live a lie rather than acknowledge this abhorrent truth.
Baby Park is controversial.

It's most definitely a love it or hate it kind of deal.

At least it's not a boring ring in the same sense as, say, Yoshi Falls. It's a course that's based around pure chaos. It's like Mario Kart's version of bumper cars.

It adds variety to the game since there are no other similar courses.

Ugh, Baby Park. Thought we had a much better simplistic circuit with Excitebike Stadium, that's a bit of a downer. Looking forward to the rest though, especially Bell Subway. Reminds me a bit of Coconut Mall.
I think Excitebike is weak, honestly. The random layouts aren't random enough and going over bumps over and over again is not that fun in my opinion.

The simple-but-chaotic approach of Baby Park is preferable.

Chaos17

I hope that XenobladeX will have also some DLCS and good as MK8 :)
Fire Emblem If too, please

Yoshi88

Just managed to watch the trailer in acceptable quality. It's pure madness. It's insane, how detailed each and every one of these courses is. There are so many design quirks and details everywhere. (Graffitis on the walls in the subway track? :D) This whole game looks way more than a generational leap compared to MKWii.

Sometimes i'm beyond words for HD-age-Nintendo. Top notch design.

Oh my god, Big Blue with that godly sax, I would have never imagined it, that looks so good along with Nature Road and the rest! I can't for next week :D Now all I need is a 200ii (as in Wii) mode patched it so my friends finally stop want to play Mario Kart Wii and all will be well :p They dislike Mario Kart 8 for being too slow on 150cc, lack of bike-indrift and missing wheelies plus stage hazards being removed like the minecart in Wario's Mine which boosts you now.

I hope that 200cc alone will make things better for them, next week will tell :p

Banned
I nearly shit parrots when baby park popped up. About bloody time!! Now let me just race that with friends all the time.

And to anyone shitting on Baby Park, you've obviously not played it multiplayer, especially with no items. Racing line perfection or die.

Lunar15

I woke up this morning and turned on that Big Blue remix. What a way to start your day.

I want this sax player and David Wise to team up for something. Just pure sax bliss.

MicH

I hope they increase the amount of laps (of all tracks, but especially Baby Park) when you select 200cc

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic DLC pack. Baby Park is the only retro course that isn't going to be new for me.

Big Blue though... that track, that music. I don't even have words for it.

Edit: I wonder if it's one lap? Editedit: Yep.

ffdgh

Heads up. Gamexplain has starting uploading full races to youtube.

Big blue has a certain throwback that f-zero fans will love...and hate :p

MicH

Big Blue is one lap
Baby Park is seven laps

(according to GameXplain)

Good to hear Baby Park is back at the oriinal seven laps :D

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wow. The big blue music is amazing. somehow both an awesome arrangement of the original well also sounding like a jazzy Mario Kart 8 track. simply spectacular

clav

Now the question is the track 5 laps or 3 laps?

If it's 5 laps, then make all the SNES tracks 5 laps.

Also make rainbow road N64 3 laps.

Leatherface

All we need is one more DLC to put this over the top. Legit BATTLE MODE ARENAS. Block Fort damn it! Otherwise, why even have battle mode?! It doesn't work as well as it should by using the existing tracks. We need some battle arenas damn it!

12 player Block Fort battle arena. C'mon Nintendo. SO CLOSE to perfection! Seal the deal!

As amazing as all the DLC is (and holy hell it totally is), I'm surprised they haven't even touched on the complaints of multi-player battle mode.

Don't get me wrong, racing with friends locally and online on the new tracks is gonna be great. It's just surprising to me that something that made the SNES, 64, and GC versions of Kart so fun is going completely untouched. Especially since, IMHO, Nintendo has been amazing at providing couch co-op experiences in the past.

Or maybe I'm just wearing rose-tinted nostalgia glasses again. I dunno.

TL;DR version: Battle mode still stinks and I would gladly pay for a classic, local (and/or online), properly-enclosed Battle arena DLC.

Davey Cakes

I wouldn't be surprised if the next DLC (if there is one) addresses Battle Mode.

There's no way Nintendo hasn't gotten plenty of negative feedback about that.

And honestly, the solution isn't even necessarily adding brand new courses that take months to develop, but rather fixing the current ones to be more like actual arenas.

I honestly consider it an "easy fix" in comparison to what we get with full racing courses or even things like the balancing of items/characters/karts.

PSqueak

Banned
Two F-Zero tracks in MK8 means that they are either using Mario Kart as a launching platform for a new F-Zero, or that Mario Kart is now the unofficial defacto Nintendo racer.

They're prepping up to launch Nintendo All stars racers, these crossover tracks are for padding up the "retro" tracks, believe!

Top Bottom