• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Park is Real (MK 8 DLC)

Coolwhip

Banned
Not sure if anyones already pointed this out but there's a Yarn Yoshi Amiibo in Ribbon Road

IGTOnov.jpg

Sorry if i'm as late as a release date for Zelda.

That track looks really nice 🙀

Kup

I realised I haven't played Mario Kart 8 since Christmas - looks like I'm going to next Thursday then.

Baby Park is going to be crazy in 200cc!

Ohhhh yes. Amazing new tracks, and the 200 cc!!!!

I love Babypark. I can't believe people calling it lazy. It's simple, yes. Just a round track. But the amount of chaos it causes is just soo much fun. To earn your high rank on this track time after time is really showing skill.
I guess it's a traumatic track for some people.

Griss

Other than Baby Park, that's another set of fantastic tracks. One of the best games of all time just got better - again.

Can't believe we're seeing Ribbon Road and Cheese Land again. Those two tracks always felt like something from a cheap Mario Kart knock-off in terms of theme and design - and that strangeness was a large part of their charm. Well, Cheese Land did anyway. But as racetracks they were excellent. So it's great to see Nintendo finally bring them back. Two of the most unique and original looking tracks in the series, and by the looks of it they've really done them justice. Ribbon Road looks spectacular.

Those music videos are incredible too, as usual. The talent at Nintendo is almost hard to believe. Just sad that I've been without my Wii U since the new year and will be until late July. Gah!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Did this just become the best Mario Kart ever made?

my thoughts as well. If they release battle mode DLC with stages from MK DS that would seal the deal

YES.
This will give Fzero a lot of exposure. It could mean "we won't make an Fzero game right now, but have this instead", but it also might be to introduce people to the world of Fzero.
I stand by my prediction that GX HD with online is coming at some point

Violet_0

Banned
someone educate me why MK8 gets better level environments than the mainline Mario games. These forest and ribbon tracks look so nice
You obviously haven't played this game.
Frantic+200cc will tear you apart. I can guarantee you that.

yeah, but ... it's just not the same without giant green shells

someone educate me why MK8 gets better level environments than the mainline Mario games. These forest and ribbon tracks look so nice

yeah, but ... it's just not the same without giant green shells

Probably because mainline Mario games have way, way, way more levels (obviously, since it's a completely different type of game) and so it wouldn't be feasible to put this much detail into every level.

And it's not supposed to be the same. It's a good thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Baby Park having more laps than the standard three does make me hope they'll allow flexible lap counts in VS mode one day.

Simbabbad

LOL @ all the people who said the rumour wasn't worth discussing. ALL the rumoured tracks are there:

3DS_NEOBOWSERCITY = 3DS Neo Bowser/Koopa City
GC_BABYPARK = GCN Baby Park
WU_ANIMAL = Animal Crossing
WU_METRO = Super Bell Subway
WU_WOODS = Wild Woods

For Baby Park... as said in the locked thread (because OMG fake), I loved it on Gamecube but I'm not sure the track makes sense with Mario Kart 8 items, even though the anti gravity bumping will probably make it quite fun. We'll see.

LAA

Oh wow the leak was right, what the hell. I read that the guy was supposed to have admitted he made it up?
In either case, Woo for neo bowser city and baby park looks awesome! Shame Metro wasn't about Metroid as was possible, looks like a good set of tracks though

sinxtanx

hnnnnggghhh these graphics
when Nintendo tries™

and the retro GBA stages might as well be brand new with the upgrade they're getting

I was really hoping for a Ridley Bike but the Bowser Trike will have to do and it is kind of purple I guess...

I stand by my prediction that GX HD with online is coming at some point
30 player online? In a racing game where contact is a thing and matters greatly. I don't think this a good idea. Will get mega salty as you get telekinetically get rammed off the course because one of your players decided to leave a torrent running[/itl] (p.s.note thread title was a modedit) while playing MK as the game doesn't lag like SSB by pausing the game every 2 seconds.

Part of me really wonders if difficulties in it working online in its current form are a reason why the franchise is shelved. In Mario Kart falling off the course is harder than in F-Zero where one good side attack usually does the trick and the consequences are greater.

LOL @ all the people who said the rumour wasn't worth discussing. ALL the rumoured tracks are there:
N3DSfanboy or whatever his name that was the source was said it was all made up a week ago...then continued discussing it anyway. The source was trash in that perspective which was why the rumor wasn't worth discussing. If it come from credilar, mr.bean (I totally spelled those names wrong) or someone else with reputation for hacking Wii U and datamining it would be worth discussing.

mclem

The last pack had Wario's Gold Mine, Yoshi Circuit and Rainbow Road. This one has Baby Park, Neo Bowser City, Ribbon Road and Cheese Land. Not all that much difference, and I'd argue that the upgrades in the second pack are far more impressive than those in the first.

Upgrades from Mode 7-style tracks - SNES and GBA ones - are much bigger overhauls than updates from polygonal tracks, so from my POV there's two classics, two overhauls and four new tracks this time around, and that's fine by me!

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'd say Neo Bowser City is the only weak pick, much rather it'd been Wario Colesuem, but a very good batch overall.

Simbabbad

N3DSfanboy or whatever his name that was the source was said it was all made up a week ago...then continued discussing it anyway. The source was trash in that perspective which was why the rumor wasn't worth discussing. If it come from credilar, mr.bean (I totally spelled those names wrong) or someone else with reputation for hacking Wii U and datamining it would be worth discussing.
But it all ended up being true. It really can't be a coincidence.

Robin64

But it all ended up being true. It really can't be a coincidence.

He sarcastically said it was all made up, writing what people wanted to hear all along, but then ended with "But no, seriously, it's real". People didn't quote the last part, sadly.

Note to every developer out there: this is how you do DLC. The amount of quality content versus the price you pay is absolutely mind-blowing. Time to get back to MK8, which is - dare I say it? - the best Mario Kart of all time.

TheJoRu

Not sure if anyones already pointed this out but there's a Yarn Yoshi Amiibo in Ribbon Road

IGTOnov.jpg

There's actually all three of them. The green one is on the left on top of the shelf, next to the green present.

The pink one is right in the middle. If you look at the white/red castle you're basically looking at it.

The light blue one is on the top right, just above the Japanese text.

So much greatness. I can't wait for everyone to be Isabelle online.

Baby Park looks the least interesting for me out of the eight. I feel like they could've taken it to the next level. If it was a circular quarterpipe without the wall in the middle, it could be truly something. As is, I'll need to spend some time with it. 200cc with a high lapcount could be fun.

Ugh, Baby Park. Thought we had a much better simplistic circuit with Excitebike Stadium, that's a bit of a downer. Looking forward to the rest though, especially Bell Subway. Reminds me a bit of Coconut Mall.

Man, I love the music for Neo Bowser City. I loved it in the original 3DS version, so as soon as that stage was confirmed for MK8, I was looking forward to hearing the remix. It's not too different, but that's a good thing.

Man, I love the music for Neo Bowser City. I loved it in the original 3DS version, so as soon as that stage was confirmed for MK8, I was looking forward to hearing the remix. It's not too different, but that's a good thing.

I just really hope they spiced the track itself up for this game. Always considered it one of the most boring tracks in the series. Thoroughly uneventful.

Griss

I just really hope they spiced the track itself up for this game. Always considered it one of the most boring tracks in the series. Thoroughly uneventful.

Agreed, and I didn't see too much interesting happening in the trailer either. They're going to need to give it a new 'hook', so to speak.

noshten

Lé Blade Runner;160200694 said:
Note to every developer out there: this is how you do DLC. The amount of quality content versus the price you pay is absolutely mind-blowing. Time to get back to MK8, which is - dare I say it? - the best Mario Kart of all time.

It's no wonder this game has about 50% attach rate on the Wii U.
If Nintendo keeps putting out content every half an year for this it will continue to sell.
Probably 5 million by it's one year release anniversary, wonder what the attach rate for the DLC is - Nintendo should release some figures after the second DLC comes out.

Those Polygon predictions

tumblr_mhgdh2sohV1rjfqvgo1_250.gif

Top Bottom