• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to summer in the US- high temperatures break records all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubricus

Got up to 95F at my house in Georgia. Cooling off the end of this week but still dry.

What happened to fall? Wednesday was another day of record heat across much of the central and eastern U.S., as temperatures soared into the 80s as far north as New England.

Record highs were set Wednesday in cities such as New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Baltimore, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh, N.C., the National Weather Service reported, some breaking decades-old measurements.

The cause of the heat is a strong area of high pressure over the Southeast, which is helping funnel very warm air northward, AccuWeather meteorologist Andy Mussoline said.

Even though it's from a separate weather pattern across the country, southern California is even getting in on the heat parade, with temperatures in the 90s and 100s forecast for the next few days, along with dry Santa Ana winds that could spark wildfires.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/10/19/record-heat-indian-summer/92404606/

On Monday, Dodge City, Kansas, reached 101 F, which smashed the previous record of 94 set in 1926. This is the first time the city has recorded a temperature at or above 100 during the month of October.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/record-breaking-heat-temperatures-central-eastern-us-fall-weather-foliage-viewing/60778588

But this guy was snow balling...

o-INHOFE-SNOWBALL-facebook.jpg

PillarEN

Jesus. I don't think I went through a 95 Fahrenheit day this entire year. Wouldn't be able to deal with that shit. Sweater mode is on where I'm at.
But this guy was snow balling...
Haha. One of my favorite sinister asshole moments in recent politics. So incredibly evil and stupid looking.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's 86 goddamn degrees here in the middle of October down here in NC. I spent three months looking forward to hoodies, scarves, jackets, and I get this shit? Thanks, humanity.

Gonna top out at 75-78 today, gonna be the same tomorrow... gonna drop to 53 on Friday. Nothing like 25 degree temperature swings.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Gonna top out at 75-78 today, gonna be the same tomorrow... gonna drop to 53 on Friday. Nothing like 25 degree temperature swings.

Same here. The high scraped 90 today and by this time tomorrow lows will be in the 50s.

But that's pretty much become the norm here in Southeast Texas. We don't have a fall anymore so much as a month or two of bipolar swings. Hell even during our dead winter months it's rarely consistently cold.

Davey Cakes

Boston area here.

Today just HAD to be the day that my AC started to lose charge. It truly felt like a summer day out today when I was out helping my mom find a new car.

The leaves are changing and look beautiful in spots, but it's weird to see that when the sun is shining so bright and warm, making it so I only have to wear shorts and a t-shirt.

Lime

How many times have the topic of climate change actually popped up during the presidential debates? One? Two? Zero?

Jayof9s

Luckily my condo association saw that it was dropping to 50 degrees 2 nights a few weeks ago and had the foresight to turn off the ac in the building. It's not 80+ degrees in my condo or anything now. Nope.

Spent like 6 weeks in the spring sweltering because they did the slowest conversion from heat to cool in the 5 years I've lived there. Looking like we'll get the same this fall at this rate.

Same here. The high scraped 90 today and by this time tomorrow lows will be in the 50s.

But that's pretty much become the norm here in Southeast Texas. We don't have a fall anymore so much as a month or two of bipolar swings. Hell even during our dead winter months it's rarely consistently cold.

Beaumont? Hometown GAFers represent

53 will be our high on Friday with lows in the mid to upper 30s. PA is becoming stranger with each passing year. Last December was abnormally warm and we didn't hit our average temps until the second week of January.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Houston here. It gets up to high 80s during the day. It usually doesn't cool down here until after November.

Jobbs

Banned
Using it being hot in october as an indicator of global climate change is not much better than using the existence of a snowball as a rebuttal to climate change.

Climate change is a trend, some hot or cold days in a given month aren't scientific indicators one way or another

Lol, and to think my local weather was all "we're totes getting a cold front on Wednesday!", and the temperature didn't move at all.

Moving to Perth confirmed
Lol I live in Perth, was definitely an interesting September. Over 4 deg Celsius under average. Even October has been under average so far although will be warming up Saturday and Sunday. Probably going to be an extra hot summer now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GA also checking in. Still running my AC on the drive home every night.

It's fucking crazy, but whatever.

SpecX

I just checked my phone and see it's 92 out. And here I was complaining about it being cold in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom