• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backwards compatibility: a mini-survey

iapetus said:
1) Will the presence or absence of backwards compatibility in any way sway your next console purchasing decision?
Well, it wouldn't make me change my mind about which console I'd want to get most. But since I don't have an Xbox, or plan to get one anytime soon, theoretically a back-compatible Xbox 2 would be a much better deal than without. PS2 and GCN games I can already play.

2) Is backwards compatibility more or less desirable on handhelds as opposed to TV-based consoles?
More. It's easier to have a table full of consoles than a pocket full of portables.

3) Assuming that backwards compatibility increases the price of a console (not always true), how much extra would you be willing to spend for that functionality?
Half the price of whatever the old console was currently going for, maybe?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
iapetus said:
1) Will the presence or absence of backwards compatibility in any way sway your next console purchasing decision?

Absolutely. If X2 plays Xbox1 games, I'll buy one at launch, and mod my existing Xbox into a media center and put it at my gf's apartment. If it doesn't play X1 games, I'll probably end up waiting until PS3 or Revolution launches or after the first price drop. Including backwards compatibility is as much a trust thing for me as anything else. It tells me that the console manufacturer is committed to the longevity of their platforms. And of course as a collector, I like knowing that my game library will be easily playable in the future as long as the brand exists, because console hardware becomes less and less durable as it becomes more complex.

2) Is backwards compatibility more or less desirable on handhelds as opposed to TV-based consoles?

Personally, I don't care about portable systems being backwards compatible since for me, portables are a minor diversion when I'm waiting in line, while my console library is much larger and gets the bulk of my playing time. Console backwards compatibility is much more important for me.

3) Assuming that backwards compatibility increases the price of a console (not always true), how much extra would you be willing to spend for that functionality?

Since I see backwards compatibility as an investment into the longevity of my software library, I'd be willing to pay whatever the market cost of the Xbox itself is on top of the Xbox2 price to ensure BC. Of course I am probably a very small fraction of the market. I think in general though, 20-50 dollars would be worthwhile, but with smart system design, there really shouldn't be a need for any extra costs.

Probably not, as I will most likely buy the console because I want it to play the games that will be available for it. Backwards compatibility obviously sweetens the deal considerably.

Again, the decision to buy for me (consoles or handhelds) is based more around price/games available. BC is a welcomed bonus.

No more than $50 more...at that point in the life cycle of the previous console this console would be replacing, anything more and I may as well buy the old console.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Figured, I'd tally up the answers to question 1 so far, since that's the most interesting question related to current events. Some people's answer are a little ambiguous, but I've tried to avoid personal bias in the interpretation. An answer like 6.8's, for example, qualifies as a "No". Feel free to spot check my tally:

Yes = 20
No = 18
Depends/Maybe = 5

Pimpbaa

iapetus said:
No. It's a nice feature but not necessary for me.

I don't buy handhelds.

maskrider

iapetus said:

Yes, pretty important to me.

iapetus said:

The same on handhelds and TV-based consoles.

iapetus said:

$50

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Yes.

It is equally desirable.

$49-69

i don't get why people want to play an additional (which seems like) $50 to play old XB1 games, when they probably could get a decent launch title. Not to mention XB1 would be pretty cheap by then if not discountinued by then.

The main arguments for BC seems like convience to play XB1 or cheap XB1 games, I'd imagine BC doesn't really help the XB2 as they're trying gain a larger market (most likely PS2 owners) and it would add to the increase of making XB1 titles instead of XB2 ones.
If you were too cheap or not interested in XB1 so you didn't buy it then why do you care about BC in XB2? (if anything it would cost more because of it)
And for convience sake you could just get a switcher.

I see good reasons why not to include an HD, hacking piracy etc as well as the revenue generated by selling memory cards. Although a small footprint HD sounds good imo.

I think the best bet is to go without HD/BC and have them as addons because not everyone wants it. Even the HD in XB1 isn't used by the majority of developers, heck if EA is any indication next gen were gonna get XB2 ports on all systems.

No. Launch titles and future outlook are far more important to me.

Neither but if I had to choose, less. I don't think I've played a single GB or GBC game on my GBA. I have played one or two PSX games on my PS2.

$20

If it costs more than $50 for the added BC, it may actually dissuade me from buying the console until the price drops.

Shompola

Banned
1) NO
2) Equal as in I don't care
3) 0 USD. I have yet to play gb games on my gba, and the PSX graphcis are IMO worse on PS2 than on the original console. It's too damn sharp looking even on my Philips tv with its soft image look.

iapetus said:

1) yes

2) Why would a feature be less desirable? If its there.. its a definitely PLUS

3) I would not want to pay a single extra cent. They should suck it up (SONY. NINTENDO. MS) they make their profits on their games. BC will help them sell old games and increase user base.

FightyF

Banned
1) Nope, I will buy a next gen console for it's next gen games. Note: I own all 3 current gen consoles, and that explains my opinion somewhat.

2) I think it's different because portable gaming doesn't have to be on the cutting edge of graphics, and games like Mario Golf and Tetris are still fun, despite using only 2 colours. For console games, the space saved, the enhanced loading times and enhanced graphics seem to be the biggest draw.

3) I would only pay $10 more for BC. I'd rather that an extra $20-90 that could be spent on BC be spent on more RAM, faster processors, or wireless technologies built in.

SaitoH

Absolutely. In fact it's affecting my purchasing right now. I'm buying PS2 versions of multiplatform games, because I know I'll be able to play them on the PS3. The generation has achieved the Snes level of 3D ... that is to say, it looks pretty darn good and will continue to look pretty darn good for years to come, so I actually want to keep my exsisting games AND be able to play them.

It's the same for me.

Hmmm ... $50.00

Top Bottom