• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baffling The Dark Knight Rises moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Talia and Bruce are actually into each other in the comics yet their situations make them enemies. That's what makes them interesting. She could have been anyone in this.

The problem with the Talia/Bruce relationship in TDKR, was that it was hamfisted. There was no depth to the relationship, because Nolan had spent the first two movies with the Bruce/Rachel relationship.

As a result, we don't get any sense of a real relationship between the two. Why does this matter?

Well, Talia sleeps with Bruce in the movie. So what is her motivation to do so? I mean, after all, this is the man that she's built up her entire convoluted revenge plot around. So the only motivation is: she wanted it to hurt Bruce when the betrayal was revealed. Okay. But thing is, Bruce wasn't in love with her. After his one night stand/fling - he was already moving on to Cat Woman. In fact, Selena Kyle was the first person he comes to see in the City (that relationship also felt forced though tbh).

Now, had Bruce and Talia's relationship been established, and Bruce actually cared about her - then her betrayal would have actually had an impact (both on Bruce and the audience). Her motivation for sleeping with him would have made sense. Instead, it doesn't. Talia basically fucks the dude she hates so much, she's putting on this scooby-doo ruse.

The only way I could make sense of this was - she slept with Bruce to get the company from him. Because that was part of the plan. But didn't she sleep with him after he handed over the company? (This I forget). I suppose that would clear up the motivation aspect.

Still, I just found all the relationships in the TDKR to feel contrived. The movie was cramming in so much stuff, that I never felt like any of them had any depth, so I didn't really care about them. I also have a hard tim believing that in such a short time, Bruce and Selina would fall in love. And he would run off to Paris with her. But whatever, that's just me.

jaxword

Uh I have no problem with the delivery of the line, just the entire damn idea. Batman shows up at the end and gives her the Clean Slate magic USB thumbstick.

The Clean Slate never existed in the real world. Wayne Tech probably invented it, realized its flaws, then put it into storage like many other inventions. So for all the corporate world knows, it's just yet another Wayne Enterprises failure.

Which was likely just a cover story for Wayne to keep it from being abused, just like he did with other inventions. Of course he'd have the only real working prototype.

effzee

The problem with the Talia/Bruce relationship in TDKR, was that it was hamfisted. There was no depth to the relationship, because Nolan had spent the first two movies with the Bruce/Rachel relationship.

As a result, we don't get any sense of a real relationship between the two. Why does this matter?

Well, Talia sleeps with Bruce in the movie. So what is her motivation to do so? I mean, after all, this is the man that she's built up her entire convoluted revenge plot around. So the only motivation is: she wanted it to hurt Bruce when the betrayal was revealed. Okay. But thing is, Bruce wasn't in love with her. After his one night stand/fling - he was already moving on to Cat Woman. In fact, Selena Kyle was the first person he comes to see in the City (that relationship also felt forced though tbh).

How was he already moving on to Catwoman? The scenes literally go from sleeping with Miranda to meeting Catwoman in the subway tunnels to go find bane.

And after he comes back to the city she is the first person he goes to see because at this point he doesn't know where Miranda is but he knows Catwoman works for Bane. He asks her to help him get caught so he can reach Fox. Not because he is now in love with Catwoman.

Now, had Bruce and Talia's relationship been established, and Bruce actually cared about her - then her betrayal would have actually had an impact (both on Bruce and the audience). Her motivation for sleeping with him would have made sense. Instead, it doesn't. Talia basically fucks the dude she hates so much, she's putting on this scooby-doo ruse.

The only way I could make sense of this was - she slept with Bruce to get the company from him. Because that was part of the plan. But didn't she sleep with him after he handed over the company? (This I forget). I suppose that would clear up the motivation aspect.

Still, I just found all the relationships in the TDKR to feel contrived. The movie was cramming in so much stuff, that I never felt like any of them had any depth, so I didn't really care about them. I also have a hard tim believing that in such a short time, Bruce and Selina would fall in love. And he would run off to Paris with her. But whatever, that's just me.

The whole point is that at that point he was at his weakest. Lost his company, wealth, and Alfred. Miranda was the only one he trusted. He ends up sleeping with her. It isn't anything more than that. He isn't in love with her but he is attracted to her and trusts her. He hands over the reactor her and trusts her to do the right thing. Her sleeping with him leads him to believe there might be something more there, but that is a part of her plan. To have him open up completely and hand over anything and everything.

Bruce and Selina don't fall in love over a short period of time. We don't know how long after the burial scene we find Alfred sitting at that cafe. And do we really need to see every step of the way or how they fell in love? I think its implied that after saving him two times and helping him save the city by getting the bomb over the bay, he would feel completely different towards her.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Clean Slate never existed in the real world. Wayne Tech probably invented it, realized its flaws, then put it into storage like many other inventions. So for all the corporate world knows, it's just yet another Wayne Enterprises failure.

Which was likely just a cover story for Wayne to keep it from being abused, just like he did with other inventions. Of course he'd have the only real working prototype.

The entire idea behind it is laughable.

.GqueB.

Banned

She wanted some dick! YEESH. Whenever GAF starts over thinking things they conveniently remove the human element. She was horny and wanted a penis inside of her. Only other guy in her life was Bane for fucks sake.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Did you laugh at the magic sonar in DK?
Or the Microwave Emitter in BB?

I take more issue with it (even though the others are stupid too) because it seems even dumber. EVERY database in the ENTIRE world? All firewalls? What about archives? Offline backups? Why would Wayne Industries/bought corp even attempt the project when it's clearly illegal? You think the gov't would be A-OK with an individual wiping out their records at will?

Bat-sonar is typical comics stuff and the microwave emitter had a semi-cogent explanation ("focused" microwaves), but the clean slate just makes me wretch.

jaxword

I take more issue with it (even though the others are stupid too) because it seems even dumber. EVERY database in the ENTIRE world? All firewalls? What about archives? Offline backups? Why would Wayne Industries/bought corp even attempt the project when it's clearly illegal? You think the gov't would be A-OK with an individual wiping out their records at will?

Bat-sonar is typical comics stuff and the microwave emitter had a semi-cogent explanation ("focused" microwaves), but the clean slate just makes me wretch.

There's also the fact the cold fusion Nuclear Bomb defies the currently known laws of physics.

It probably made any physicist wretch.

Mononoke

Banned
She wanted some dick! YEESH. Whenever GAF starts over thinking things they conveniently remove the human element. She was horny and wanted a penis inside of her. Only other guy in her life was Bane for fucks sake.

Meh. I could buy that. But again, she supposedly hated Bruce so much - she was willing to take on this convoluted plan for revenge.

Not buying it.

Mononoke

Banned
How was he already moving on to Catwoman? The scenes literally go from sleeping with Miranda to meeting Catwoman in the subway tunnels to go find bane.

And after he comes back to the city she is the first person he goes to see because at this point he doesn't know where Miranda is but he knows Catwoman works for Bane. He asks her to help him get caught so he can reach Fox. Not because he is now in love with Catwoman.

The whole point is that at that point he was at his weakest. Lost his company, wealth, and Alfred. Miranda was the only one he trusted. He ends up sleeping with her. It isn't anything more than that. He isn't in love with her but he is attracted to her and trusts her. He hands over the reactor her and trusts her to do the right thing. Her sleeping with him leads him to believe there might be something more there, but that is a part of her plan. To have him open up completely and hand over anything and everything.

Bruce and Selina don't fall in love over a short period of time. We don't know how long after the burial scene we find Alfred sitting at that cafe. And do we really need to see every step of the way or how they fell in love? I think its implied that after saving him two times and helping him save the city by getting the bomb over the bay, he would feel completely different towards her.

I guess I shouldn't have said fallen in love. But at the same time, if Bruce is willing to run away with Selina at the end - that's kind of saying something. But as you said, who knows how long that was after the event. So it's not that unbelievable that over time, they got together.

So fair enough points.

way more

I'm seeing the pattern here. Everything in DKR is either not comic book enough or it's too crazy.

Of course the McGuffin or implausible tech in the first two are Just the right amount of comic book.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm seeing the pattern here. Everything in DKR is either not comic book enough or it's too crazy.

Of course the McGuffin or implausible tech in the first two are Just the right amount of comic book.

Well yes, just like Batman 60's show was just the right kind of camp while B&R descended into absurd territory.

Maybe it's also because the previous two movies felt comic booky on the whole. Begins felt like Year One and TDK felt like The Long Halloween.

TDKR did not feel like Knightfall at all, nor really even No Man's Land. It was trying to be its own darker, grittier thing and that's why the clean slate stands out for being laughable.

I like the movie overall, but I don't know why I have to qualify this with that. You don't have to kneejerk into defensive mode just because I bring up a problem with the movie.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Why did the whole Gotham police force go down the sewers to get trapped again? It's like a bad comedy moment and kinda ruined the movie.

The original TDK with an amazing Heath Ledger is one of the best movies I ever seen but TDKR doesn't even come close. I am sorry, but it is almost like going from the original Jurassic Park to Lost World.

Things to remember:

Batman Begins - Giant microwave laid above ground boils water in the sewer before boiling water in human bodies.

Dark Knight Returns - Fucking awesome. Bit silly in places.

Dark Knight Rises - What the fucking fuckflaps did I just watch.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The majority of GCPD went into the sewer in a massive raid attempt to find and take down a supposed criminal organization. It's likely that there were plenty of cops still above ground, but it can be assumed that Bane's crew quickly dealt with most of them, and any that they didn't kill had no way of organizing to fight back. The fact that Blake and Foley were still above ground support this.

Bruce returned to Gotham by employing criminal networks he had made connections with during his time as a thief in Batman Begins. They were able to take him to an undisclosed cache outside of Gotham where he had stored emergency equipment to sneak back into Gotham.

Nobody in the city threw the rope into the pit because they feared retribution from Bane.

Before his meeting with Selina, Batman used a nozzle on the front of The Bat to quickly spray jet fuel into a giant bat symbol on the bridge, and then trail a line to the ground.

Having planned to fake his death, Bruce snuck into the records office and altered his will, not changing it to reflect his poverty in order to avoid suspicion.

Faking his death worked because Bruce Wayne is not as public of a figure in the Nolan-verse as he is in the comics. He's recognized more by name than his face. Known more by his charitable contributions, and mostly just recognized by the similar Gotham elite that would have direct interaction with him. Thus, giving no reason for the people of Italy to recognize him.

Talia's plan was not a direct one, because she wanted it to be an emotional torture on Bruce Wayne, as well as a dramatic showing to the rest of the world what decadence and moral decay would bring to the rest of them.

Selina was able to expertly drive the Batpod because during the 90s she became obsessed with the Star Wars: Podracer arcade game, and the controls are surprisingly similar.

It doesn't get mentioned, but Gordon has two false eyes, and is completely blind. He's just very good at hiding it. It's a vanity thing. The mustache isn't real either, but that's another matter.

The capital of Bolivia is Sucre.

I think I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom