• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ballpoint Universe - Creativity beating Logic in a GORGEOUS shmup

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
9IUgaIU.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Main Developer Website
Desura - 5$
Greenlight Page
Browser Demo (Full game is not browser based and has better textures)

Release Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mn__OW4j4L4#at=34
Soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/docprop/sets/ballpoint-universe-original

Windows/ Mac/ WiiU (releasing at some point in 2013 on WiiU)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| What is this game? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A shmup with a highly unique and most of all gorgeous artstyle. The game only came to life through Kickstarter. On top of being stunningly pretty due to the nature of the hand drawn ballpoint art, the game also uses some light exploration elements in between the levels to have you collecting some art work and parts for your ship. These parts can also be found as rewards in levels to further upgrade/customize your own ship which is also represented on your ship design you see ingame. The levels are also rather replayable since you probably wont be able to finish every level on the highest score, and you will need the highest scores to unlock everything. On the shmup side of things it definitely is no Ikaruga, but the art and upgrading are making this a delightful experience I heartily recommend anyway.

Sooo beautiful to look at with a great soundtrack. Make sure to raise the graphics level to the highest, "beautiful". The soundtrack doesnt start of strongly ingame, but checkout the Soundcloud link I posted above, these tracks are definitely great too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Impressions |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures speak more than a thousand words:
url
zGB0uGj.jpg

screen21.jpg
Capture1.jpg

Gifs courtesy of Messofanego:
ibviCfDFkGxNi.gif
ib0ON9GlQ21mry.gif

Wow, finally checked out Ballpoint Universe. This game looks ridiculously good with several moving layers and has a a great soundtrack. Its a shmup where you collect upgrade parts by walking around in the world and beating the scores in the levels. Certainly more than worth the $4 the dev is asking for it.

That looks incredible. Love how super-detailed everything looks, and so smooth too.
Also, the shmup levels rip their mechanics from Einhander, it seems, Coooooooool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Other stuff |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indie Game thread series, currently June:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572913

In the same thread, we are currently prototype-testing a program to rate Indie games and write impressions that can be read out and analysed with that program. For more information, see this post:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364

Also, CHECK OUT SENTINEL:

I've had a USB with the game on it from the Kickstarter for, like, three months now and haven't check it out yet, haha. I really need to get around to it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've had a USB with the game on it from the Kickstarter for, like, three months now and haven't check it out yet, haha. I really need to get around to it.

I heard someone else saying something similar in the Indie Games thread. The game was definitely worth the money spent on it. The art is really unique and incredibly unique. Guess it doesnt hurt that the game you bought and didnt try yet is actually a good one ;p

I heard someone else saying something similar in the Indie Games thread. The game was definitely worth the money spent on it. The art is really unique and incredibly unique. Guess it doesnt hurt that the game you bought and didnt try yet is actually a good one ;p

Well at the time of the Kickstarter the developer had an early version of it as a free Flash game that was fun and between that and the beautiful art I was sold.

Toma

Well at the time of the Kickstarter the developer had an early version of it as a free Flash game that was fun and between that and the beautiful art I was sold.

Was that version the same as the "demo"? Or is the demo already more advanced? Just curious.

popyea

I've known Leo (the artist) for a long time. His strength has always been ridiculously cool fantasy backgrounds and designs. It's awesome to see his stuff getting out there.

Was that version the same as the "demo"? Or is the demo already more advanced? Just curious.

It was this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/592452

I've known Leo (the artist) for a long time. His strength has always been ridiculously cool fantasy backgrounds and designs. It's awesome to see his stuff getting out there.

You should see if he'll join GAF. I'm sure once this game gets around more, and on Steam, it'll get a good fan base on here.

Toma

Someone link Shahid to this.

Someone link Shahid to the Indie Games thread series which has countless of these great Indies. Sigh.

So many good Indies that get mostly undeservedly ignored.

kick51

Banned
Someone link Shahid to the Indie Games thread series which has countless of these great Indies. Sigh.

So many good Indies that get mostly undeservedly ignored.

I am sorry that I did not go off topic and list every single indie game that deserves to be on the Vita in my post, thus taking away the spotlight from the game that this thread is about.

Toma

I am sorry that I did not go off topic and list every single indie game that deserves to be on the Vita in my post, thus taking away the spotlight from the game that this thread is about.

That wasnt directed directly at you, and more a complaint in regard to how many Indies are ignored all the time (because I love complaining about that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523680). But anyway, I am not sure he can even possibly keep up with all those games that people want to tell him about anymore. Wouldnt be surprised if he actually ignored these Twitter recommendations by now :p

Toma

Just played another level .Such a charming art style. Man, more games should stop using the standard art styles we have way too much anyway and try new and unique things.

Reminds me a bit of "And yet it moves" in that regard, which also had a very interesting and unique art style. In fact, I played through the game solely for the art style, even though it was rather repetetive at times.

Dambrosi

Banned
That looks incredible. Love how super-detailed everything looks, and so smooth too.

Also, the shmup levels rip their mechanics from Einhander, it seems, Coooooooool.

Toma

Which mechanics do you mean?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, saw this game recently in that Wii U game trailer. Really looking forward to this.

Toma

Yep, saw this game recently in that Wii U game trailer. Really looking forward to this.

Just curious, its not going to have any additional features or something, right? Too tired to research atm, will probably hop into bed now. Maybe the thread gets a few more posts until I get up again.

qko

Someone link Shahid to this.
Will this become the new port begging?

"Someone get Shahid/Dan Adelman/Matt Booty on this" should be considered the same as "Put this on Playstation/XBone/WiiU" before it begins to get out of hand.

Toma

Proud backer of this. Played a near finishih build, it was gorgeous, need to play more.

It kinda surprises me to see it had so many backers but never a thread on here.

Haunted

Certainly looks nice!

Weird that I've never seen the Greenlight page, must've clicked on YES though the game never really registered in my mind.

Toma

Certainly looks nice!

Weird that I've never seen the Greenlight page, must've clicked on YES though the game never really registered in my mind.

It looks even better in motion on fullscreen. So pretty.

Acosta

It kinda surprises me to see it had so many backers but never a thread on here.

If I remember right, it came with the first generation of the KS explosion with Double Fine Adventure. It was a really small project and I think the few of us that discussed about it did in some general KS thread that was created in that moment.

SmokyDave

You weren't kidding, that is indeed block-caps gorgeous. The copper in the second shot reminds me of Machinarium.

"Someone get Shahid/Dan Adelman/Matt Booty on this" should be considered the same as "Put this on Playstation/XBone/WiiU" before it begins to get out of hand.

If port begging was still bannable, every iOS thread would be a graveyard.

Toma

I'd buy it but the paypal link on his site leads to a paypal nitification that his account needs to be verified.

Not a good look. I'll pop back in a few days as i can't be bothered creating a Desura account at the moment.

Contacted him on that mail address you posted. Hopefully, he gets around to fixing it.

Oh wow, that looks incredible. Thanks for the thread, Toma.

Now if I can find some free time play this.

A great looking game deserves GIFs:
ibviCfDFkGxNi.gif

ib0ON9GlQ21mry.gif

British constable police!

The artist, Leo Dasso, has his own Tumblr, here are GIFs from there:
tumblr_mlfvvhIinA1qlf9wno1_250.gif

tumblr_mngyb3rCLE1qbpa45o1_250.gif

Toma

Oh wow, that looks incredible. Thanks for the thread, Toma.

Now if I can find some free time play this.

A great looking game deserves GIFs:
http://i.minus.com/ibviCfDFkGxNi.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib0ON9GlQ21mry.gif[IMG]
British constable police!

The artist, [B]Leo Dasso[/B], has his own [URL="http://zodiacleo.tumblr.com/"]Tumblr[/URL], here are GIFs from there:
[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/717fbf1cce9785d97db23180dd81c056/tumblr_mlfvvhIinA1qlf9wno1_250.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/26725e2f808b1680ed814b4136d17145/tumblr_mngyb3rCLE1qbpa45o1_250.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Put the two gifs in the OP.

kick51

Banned
And bought...both versions! and any future version!

Seems like people don't like port begging because it derails the thread, but the only people derailing the thread over my "port begging" are the ones complaining about port begging. I have to edit my thoughts because some people can't handle reading about other people wanting a game on another system? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toma

And bought...both versions! and any future version!

Seems like people don't like port begging because it derails the thread, but the only people derailing the thread over my "port begging" are the ones complaining about port begging. I have to edit my thoughts because some people can't handle reading about other people wanting a game on another system? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eh, its not really derailing the thread since it doesnt shift the conversation to a completely different topic or annoying the other posters who want to talk about the main topic, in this thread at least. I am fine with any bump I can get :p

Even though it strictly speaking IS port begging and not permitted. But considering that kind of "port beggin" also had its advantages in the past.. *shrug*

Dambrosi

Banned
Which mechanics do you mean?

Sorry, went to bed.

What I meant was that the game has weapons that "clip" onto the top or bottom of the ship, like Einhander had. Some similar enemy wave patterns too, IIRC.

This is just going off the trailer, btw. I'll try the demo later, though I hate playing shmups with keyboard controls.

Toma

Thanks, I did. New impressions:

Cool art, game is boring.

Fair enough, at least you played it now. I only played it for about 30-40 minutes myself but I think the game will get more interesting when they introduce more enemy patterns and variations. It may not be all that representative for the overall game to judge it after 10 minutes in which you probably havent even seen the second level.

Although to be fair, I did notice that the game seemed to be a bit simple in that first level too, but it certainly has a lot of potential from what I saw in the trailer and some YT videos (like enemies carrying giant shields that you need to dismantle before shooting at the enemies). So we'll see how much it improves gameplay variation wise.

Fair enough, at least you played it now. I only played it for about 30-40 minutes myself but I think the game will get more interesting when they introduce more enemy patterns and variations. It may not be all that representative for the overall game to judge it after 10 minutes in which you probably havent even seen the second level.

Although to be fair, I did notice that the game seemed to be a bit simple in that first level too, but it certainly has a lot of potential from what I saw in the trailer and some YT videos (like enemies carrying giant shields that you need to dismantle before shooting at the enemies). So we'll see how much it improves gameplay variation wise.

Fair enough. To be more constructive, I found the levels and mechanics to be overly simplistic. But again, I was basically playing the tutorial part of the game.

Toma

Fair enough. To be more constructive, I found the levels and mechanics to be overly simplistic. But again, I was basically playing the tutorial part of the game.

Yeah, I'll see what they have in store later. I played way worse games only because I liked their art style (And yet it moves). This is definitely enjoyable enough that I wont need to force myself through it.

Capitol City is fucking impossible! lol Can't even beat the stage with a melee weapon and burst machinegun.

Any suggestions?

Incredible art style and world so far. Doodles. Idea Spring. Logicians are the enemy ruining all creativity. Yeah, take it tyrannical mathematicians!

Getting used to the platforming. Need to teach myself that for short gaps, jump first then use aerial movement and for big gaps, do a forward jump.

Top Bottom