• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I have also tried emailing the support@neogaf email but never get any type of response. If its not abandoned why no response?

Ganhyun

SSGMUN10000 said:
I have also tried emailing the support@neogaf email but never get any type of response. If its not abandoned why no response?

Its probably spammed to hell and back, thus rendering it difficult to see the actual requests from the spam.

Just a guess.

EviLore said:
You're absolutely right. Paypal me $50 to have your account re-enabled.
Was browsing another thread, came upon a post of Fist's and see that he has been banned. Look at his post history to discover this. Holy crap.:lol

Hitokage said:
People have asked me not to change it. :(
If you change it, you have my support. Whatever that's worth.

Hitokage said:
I can't speak for other mods, but my tag is the best.
I dunno... I think Blackace's is the best. It's short and witty: perfection. Though, I guess it helps that I don't know what "setec" astronomer is.:lol

Cheerilee

Dax01 said:
I dunno... I think Blackace's is the best. It's short and witty: perfection. Though, I guess it helps that I don't know what "setec" astronomer is.:lol
We could tell you what it's about.
But then, of course, we would have to kill you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
HylianTom said:
I have learned of another rule this evening.

Hitokage said:
Maybe not every damn thread needs to be filled with pun posts.

Just a heads-up. Count Dookkake found-out the hard way.
There's a time and a place for everything and reading that post... yeah, it was not the time nor the place.
Despite how spot on Dookkake can be.

HylianTom

Banned
Plywood said:
There's a time and a place for everything and reading that post... yeah, it was not the time nor the place.
Despite how spot on Dookkake can be.

So the lesson, if this apparently new "bad taste" rule is really in effect, is to avoid such humor.

That's quite a dramatic change for the OT.

fanboi

Banned
HylianTom said:
So the lesson, if this apparently new "bad taste" rule is really in effect, is to avoid such humor.

Yes, I have seen quite a few that has "Banned" after a pun... hum

Zenith

Banned
so I have a question, despite being very vitriolic against video game piracy the mods are very lax with movie piracy, to the extent that people openly talk about downloading screeners and I've seen mods asking for hints as to where to view stuff. Where's the line exactly? Is it providing links and "enabling" people to pirate?

SSGMUN10000 said:
I guess I can see the logic in that. I have been trying forever to get my topic creating privileges back :(

They're probably too annoyed with you to respond hence why you're a junior again.

Have some pride and take it like a man.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
fanboi said:
Ah, forgot to change the text in OP regarding plane.jpg... will do.

Questions mods:

1) Can you read users PM, or is it only the more powerful mods?

2) Can you see who gave me this tag? Always wondered. (Think it was Amir0x)
It's still there. There are still lots of posters who think it's banned.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Zenith said:
so I have a question, despite being very vitriolic against video game piracy the mods are very lax with movie piracy, to the extent that people openly talk about downloading screeners and I've seen mods asking for hints as to where to view stuff. Where's the line exactly? Is it providing links and "enabling" people to pirate?
I haven't seen that kind of discussion so I couldn't tell you.

Zenith said:

I have yet to see it as well, but if true, I'd think it is because this is primarily a gaming forum so the talk of pirating games is not seen as anything to be bold about. Movies on the other hand may be seen as open because we as a community weren't led here by films but for the gaming related info we seek, learn, and discuss about everyday. Just speculating here of course-differing levels of association.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HylianTom said:

If there's a rule against bad taste there isn't going to be an OT for much longer.

tokkun

Zenith said:

If you want a logical disconnect about piracy, just look at the way people here treat anime fansubs. There are threads dedicated to them, and I think one or more mods are members of fansubbing groups. Yet at the same time, if you suggested that you had the right to download and play any new Japanese release that hadn't yet been announced for US release, you would be banned in an instant.

R2D4

Banned
tokkun said:
If you want a logical disconnect about piracy, just look at the way people here treat anime fansubs. There are threads dedicated to them, and I think one or more mods are members of fansubbing groups. Yet at the same time, if you suggested that you had the right to download and play any new Japanese release that hadn't yet been announced for US release, you would be banned in an instant.

Not to mention threads on torrent sites. Why aren't those locked?

MIMIC

Banned
Saying that Game X should be on Console Y can get you banned on the gaming-side? I didn't know that.

I would go to the gaming side and say that I wished that the MGS series would come to the 360 (only because Substance was on the original Xbox). I never intended to start a console war or anything.

Guess I know now. :-/

Aske

Zenith said:

The community is strengthened by the game developers who choose to post here - it's no surprise that there's a zero tolerance policy on game piracy. However, the issue isn't one of GAF admins/mods imposing an ethical stance on board members; it's about maintaining respect for developers who visit and contribute to the forum. Having said that, from what I've seen, piracy is generally frowned upon across the board, even when it doesn't relate to games. I think the lax threads you're describing are the exception rather than the rule. General forum policy seems to be that it's fine to discuss the positives of copyright infringement up to a point, especially if it's impossible for one to obtain specific content in one's country legally; but no matter how lax a given topic may be the line is always drawn at direct links.

HylianTom said:

I love this thread :lol

It continues to amaze me how many people on this board don't have any basic common-sense when it comes to their posts. Dookkake always posts puns, but the threads that he puns about are news threads; i.e. the subject-matter doesn't directly involve another poster. The pun he was banned for crossed the line because it was making light of a tragic event that actually involved the OP.

How is this hard to understand? There are no unwritten laws of GAF. There is only common-sense and those who lack it.

numble

jim-jam bongs said:
Funny, that looks like the same interpretation to me ;)
There was another banning today for a pun in a news thread that had nothing to do with the OP (who was MTHanded, who is almost never personally involved in the threads he posts).

Kurtofan

numble said:
There was another banning today for a pun in a news thread that had nothing to do with the OP (who was MTHanded, who is almost never personally involved in the threads he posts).
it was about the death of a famous people.
About puns I think the rules are:
-don't make pun about dead celebrities
-don't make pun about dead children
-don't make pun if the OP is involved

It could also be that mods are applying the "don't shit up threads with useless posts" rule, another common-sense one. The pun-maker gang has been getting so large that the first page of more than half the OT threads is puns and quotes of puns.

feel

Kurtofan said:
it was about the death of a famous people.
About puns I think the rules are:
-don't make pun about dead celebrities
-don't make pun about dead children
-don't make pun if the OP is involved
I dunno, I'm actually hoping these last few days the mods have changed the way they see this issue... making stupid jokes about ANY dead person should be frowned upon on a respectable place like GAF.

edit- nm...

jim-jam bongs said:
It could also be that mods are applying the "don't shit up threads with useless posts" rule, another common-sense one. The pun-maker gang has been getting so large that the first page of more than half the OT threads is puns and quotes of puns.

The Bill Hicks joke about pigeons and the JFK assassination is STILL the best damn pun I've ever heard. GAF's pun-makers can't compare and get really tiresome really quickly.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Meus Renaissance said:
Out of interest, do you answer PM's?

Do you think $50 is anything to a man who lives like this

Gameistobesold.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To clarify, the bans made recently over puns haven't necessarily been because it was about dead people, but because in yet another thread they come storming in because they feel they have to and everyone else follows suit. Maybe Mutfox actually wanted to talk about his house? With random news it's not so bad, but it's so horribly played out at this point I'd rather people shy away from it unless they have both the joke and the timing and not just to show everyone you too can make a pun.

EviLore said:
No, I'm not taking your money to unban fistful.
g-ent-080314-joker-6awidec.jpg

"It's not about money, it's about sending a message."

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Blackace said:
Do you think $50 is anything to a man who lives like this

Gameistobesold.jpg

IM A NO LIMIT SOLDIER!!!!

they always had the best album covers.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MIMIC said:
Saying that Game X should be on Console Y can get you banned on the gaming-side? I didn't know that.

I would go to the gaming side and say that I wished that the MGS series would come to the 360 (only because Substance was on the original Xbox). I never intended to start a console war or anything.

Guess I know now. :-/
I guess it's annoying, repetitive, and pointless on various levels.

A month or so ago I said I wished 360's magic the gathering game was on the ps3. Didn't get banned. I think understandable. It's not a AAA exclusive that causes rage and if it can run on the console debates. Simply wanting to get introduced to a card game that is very popular outside of video games is reasonable.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeathNote said:
I guess it's annoying, repetitive, and pointless on various levels.

A month or so ago I said I wished 360's magic the gathering game was on the ps3. Didn't get banned. I think understandable. It's not a AAA exclusive that causes rage and if it can run on the console debates. Simply wanting to get introduced to a card game that is very popular outside of video games is reasonable.

The original purpose of that specific unwritten rule was because of the dueling Wii vs. HD trolls. It was ridiculous to see everybody in a Wii thread saying that game X should be in HD, and it was similarly retarded to see the other side say that some game should come to the Wii.

I don't think it was ever a specific rule that "YOU CAN NEVER HOPE A GAME COMES TO ANOTHER CONSOLE" but rather a method of preventing the spam from the inevitable systemwarz crowd in every god damned thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom