• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Red Scarlet: Busting up problematic OT cliques has a long and proud tradition. Don't know if anyone remembers the fallout after I deleted the thread dedicated to the original "OT Clique". Good times, good times.

Red Scarlet

Byakuya769 said:
here's something that I hope is not ban=worthy, but is it just me.. or does it seem like mods often have some of the lamest tags? Shouldn't they have the best? Whaddsup wit dat???

I couldn't think of anything cool so it's just a what I'm playing thing instead. Pretty bland I'm sure, but I really can't think of something better.

Wasn't around for the OT clique thing, must have been between the time periods when I was here. I remember a snowglobe clique though.

How did the OT clique thing go?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Byakuya769 said:
here's something that I hope is not ban=worthy, but is it just me.. or does it seem like mods often have some of the lamest tags? Shouldn't they have the best? Whaddsup wit dat???
I can't speak for other mods, but my tag is the best.

Red Scarlet said:
How did the OT clique thing go?
Group of posters started to feel like they owned the place, and had made this "first to 10,000" thread as their crowning achievement. Once it got deleted, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth, and their group was sent into disarray.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Byakuya769 said:

pardon me?

Hitokage's is the 2nd best..

I also pride myself on giving damn good tags. Bish might be the only other mod who rolls with me. Bish and I need to do another "ask for a tag" tag-team thread.

Rorschach

Blackace said:
pardon me?
Is the bear a burly gay guy or like a grizzly or something?

I also pride myself on giving damn good tags. Bish might be the only other mod who rolls with me. Bish and I need to do another "ask for a tag" tag-team thread.
Speaking of mod bait threads and blackace...

Don't post in threads that say "Anyone who posts in this thread will be banned."

Blackace

Rorschach said:
Is the bear a burly gay guy or like a grizzly or something?

Only you would equal bear to burly gay guy.. "when a fantasy about Ken goes wrong" might be your new tag before long.

Don't post in threads that say "Anyone who posts in this thread will be banned."

I thought the title explained everything. :lol

GAF ads are acceptable. Go upload a pic to tinypic, the image selection window covers an ad so if you arent precise when you double click a file, you head straight into adsville.

Rorschach

Blackace said:
I thought the title explained everything. :lol
Hey, I didn't fall for it, but I remember guys bitching for a while about it. I think Miguel is still pissed. :lol

Blackace said:
Only you would equal bear to burly gay guy.. "when a fantasy about Ken goes wrong" might be your new tag before long.
Hey, I'm just covering my bases here!

Cheerilee

Why For? said:
Maybe I'm just a PC noob, but I didn't even know you COULD block the ads on here.

But I'm not 100% sure why you would, you barely notice them (as in they're very unobtrusive) and half the time they add to the laughs of certain threads, so I'm not sure what the issue is with them.
Adblock doesn't know whose ads on the internet you might enjoy, which ones you find annoying, or which ones contain viruses and spyware. It just blocks everybody without question. The thing is, once you turn it on, you can make special exceptions for places you know, and tell the program to leave NeoGAF alone (for instance), that way NeoGAF can keep making money. But it takes a deliberate effort to do that, so not everybody does it. It's not much effort at all (just two clicks), but who ever goes out of their way to say "I want some ads"? Nobody, that's who. Not unless they've been asked nicely and assured by someone that the ads won't bite.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
pardon me?

I still wonder if it was you who really likes "Life of Brian", or if it was someone else behind the scenes. :lol

Rule: Never go into a Dragona tag thread, you will be disappoint.

I know it's in the OP, but don't be sexist.

I don't think I've laughed as hard as I have in a while when the "Woman driver" clip was posted, and people were posting "must be a woman" before it was confirmed. The trying-to-get-out of bannings through editting etc. was hilarious.

Metroidvania said:
I still wonder if it was you who really likes "Life of Brian", or if it was someone else behind the scenes. :lol

I know it's in the OP, but don't be sexist.

I don't think I've laughed as hard as I have in a while when the "Woman driver" clip was posted, and people were posting "must be a woman" before it was confirmed. The trying-to-get-out of bannings through editting etc. was hilarious.

Yes. That thread was epic.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Byakuya769 said:
Ha, I looked and was like, "awe gosh, I missed it." Then I saw the tags, and was like "hah, suckers."

True story.
Yeah, I once told Dragona her tags had no subtlety, to which she replied, "I'm not a subtle person."

Nizz

Blackace said:
pardon me?

That'd be awesome. ;)

Byakuya769 said:
Yes. That thread was epic.

The best part was there are tons of us who EXPLICITLY tell other members that what they are doing is going to get them in deep trouble... and they still go ahead and do it.

The funniest was when someone made the exact same comment as a bunch of other posters who were already banned for it in the first wave. I read it and couldnt help shaking my head. Cant save some people from themselves.

Same with the Epic Mickey thread for that matter. Now that thread is where people took stupidity to a whole new level. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Blackace said:
pardon me?

lol Im pretty sure my tag ended up getting tag teamed :lol

iamcool388 said:
The best part was there are tons of us who EXPLICITLY tell other members that what they are doing is going to get them in deep trouble... and they still go ahead and do it.

The funniest was when someone made the exact same comment as a bunch of other posters who were already banned for it in the first wave. I read it and couldnt help shaking my head. Cant save some people from themselves.

Same with the Epic Mickey thread for that matter. Now that thread is where people took stupidity to a whole new level. :lol

It's as if the name was created to become a clusterfuck thread!

Fox the Sly

You know what would be funny? If members could edit their tag and someone puts "Banned," a mod sees that with their account still active and actually bans them. :lol

I've seen it happen before. Funneh.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Byakuya769 said:
Don't have time for tag threads when you're a hardworking real American.
hardy har har. I wish the mod who gave me this tag would have linked to the post, at least then people would know it was in reference to everyone in the Blu-ray HD DVD thread saying Joe six pack all the damn time was annoying because it reminds me of the King of the Hill superbowl episode.

Dead Man

captive said:
hardy har har. I wish the mod who gave me this tag would have linked to the post, at least then people would know it was in reference to everyone in the Blu-ray HD DVD thread saying Joe six pack all the damn time was annoying because it reminds me of the King of the Hill superbowl episode.
Think that's bad? I have no idea what my tag is about, and neither did anyone I PM'd! :lol

Edit: Inb4 tag quote :D

Cheerilee

Blackace said:
pardon me?

Do you know the old saying "How do you find the best barber in town? Find the one with the second best haircut." :D

Of course, that's not foolproof because some people can make any haircut look good. Clothes don't always make the man, sometimes the man makes the clothes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Blueblur1 said:
I just read the OP. I didn't know plane.jpeg was a banned meme. Oh well.
It's not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18828825&postcount=369

EviLore said:
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about the plane meme being banned except by people in this thread. That said, memes in general should be used with caution.

Dragona Akehi said:
Like with most thoughts regarding moderation policy, this "rule" was based on hearsay and superstition. :p

Dead Man

Cyan said:
Really? I could've sworn I explained it to you in another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3xkMIMyfI

(Warning: do not watch more than once; will get stuck in your head!)
Yeah, and thanks for that, but I still don't know what it is in regards to. I looked at all my posts from the last couple weeks when I first noticed it and couldn't find anything or anyone saying I got owned, meh, just one of life's unanswerable questions!

Cyan

Banned
idahoblue said:
Yeah, and thanks for that, but I still don't know what it is in regards to. I looked at all my posts from the last couple weeks when I first noticed it and couldn't find anything or anyone saying I got owned, meh, just one of life's unanswerable questions!
Oh, ok. I was going to start speculating, but major deja vu dissuaded me. :lol

Maybe whoever gave it to you will pipe up. Or they might not even remember anymore. :O

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Let me ask something in regards to tags. This fellow forum poster made the best post I think I've ever read on GAF (in the "Portal Opens over Norway" thread):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18815185&postcount=429

...but did not get a proper tag of awesome. Is it because a bunch of users said, "OH MAN GIVE THAT GUY A TAG MODS!"? I always thought that when a lot of users say someone should be tagged, the mods do the exact opposite.

Dunno, just thought that was strange.

Dead Man

Cyan said:
Oh, ok. I was going to start speculating, but major deja vu dissuaded me. :lol

Maybe whoever gave it to you will pipe up. Or they might not even remember anymore. :O
Probably that one. For them it was Tuesday etc. Just one of lifes little mysteries! :lol

UFRA

SSGMUN10000 said:
I guess this thread is the best to ask this but if your banned who do you email to ask for un-banning?

You don't.

It tells you when (if) the ban will expire. You sit and wait patiently until then.

UFRA said:
You don't.

It tells you when (if) the ban will expire. You sit and wait patiently until then.

I'm sure there must be a way to appeal. Miscarriage of justice can happen, and if there was a definite misunderstanding, I am sure mods wouldnt mind unbanning the person.

Edit: Went through Terms of Service, found this link to contact admins.

fanboi

Banned
Ah, forgot to change the text in OP regarding plane.jpg... will do.

Questions mods:

1) Can you read users PM, or is it only the more powerful mods?

2) Can you see who gave me this tag? Always wondered. (Think it was Amir0x)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NetMapel said:
Hey, just noticed... why is Andrex banned !?
Whatever reason I hope it expires before the Nexus comes out, I don't think AndroidGAF would be the same without his amazing threads.

And when I'm finally interested in getting an Android phone too, ah well.

Rorschach said:

I have to say, depending on my mood, I am pretty likely to have posted in said thread with "for how long?"

Blackace

ruby_onix said:
Do you know the old saying "How do you find the best barber in town? Find the one with the second best haircut." :D

I gave myself my tag. So you pearls of wisdom are broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom