• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
bjork said:
People ask for "lamp" to get linked to free streams of pay per views while they're going on. Usually like justin tv or whatever that site is. But the wrestling thread will turn into 30 guys talking about "it's dark" or whatever over and over.
Are they doing it because they think they are being clever using some code word to hide their true intentions, or has that just kind of become the term you use when you're looking for some kind of streaming source?

...sound really weird :lol

Dabanton

abstract alien said:
I was also banned for saying Itagaki looked like a dragon. Although he is an asshole at times(an entertaining one), I guess I can understand that one. Someone did call him an oatmeal cookie though, and they were untouched.

:lol A dragon.

EYEL1NER

Kurtofan said:
you need to post 300 posts, now.
the faq is outdated.
Thanks...I had heard that a couple times, but since the FAQ is outdated, I couldn't be sure.
I guess not everyone knows it is outdated though, if people are linking to it as a source of information...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bjork said:
I'm assuming it's no different than asking for a PM in some photo thread or nsfw thread, which is generally not ok. Plus it's technically piracy, isn't it?
I can't really comment on whether it is or isn't. But are there certain circumstances, for example Fersis can't watch PPV's where he lives or not every Gaffer has a cable/satellite provider. Not that I'm advocating it. But I know that someone had posted right on the OP of a MMA event a link to two lamps and he went unbanned.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Plywood said:
I can't really comment on whether it is or isn't. But are there certain circumstances, for example Fersis can't watch PPV's where he lives or not every Gaffer has a cable/satellite provider. Not that I'm advocating it. But I know that someone had posted right on the OP of a MMA event a link to two lamps and he went unbanned.
Evilore did it in a MMA thread. (Then again he is Evilore :lol )
But maybe it wasnt a PPV, dont know really.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fersis said:
Evilore did it in a MMA thread. (Then again he is Evilore :lol )
But maybe it wasnt a PPV, dont know really.
Well I wasn't talking about Evilore. (I didn't even know he did this.) I was talking about some guy with a Stewie(Family Guy) avatar.

Ganhyun

EYEL1NER said:
Thanks...I had heard that a couple times, but since the FAQ is outdated, I couldn't be sure.
I guess not everyone knows it is outdated though, if people are linking to it as a source of information...

Weird. You'd think a FAQ on a subject like Junior Member status would be kept updated...

Purkake4

Banned
Zero Hero said:
I seem to have been left behind for some reason. *shrugs*
Where is your Darwin now?
11auwya.jpg

Firestorm

I had no idea about the adblock thing or that plane was now banned.

EatChildren said:
I got banned for posting "die in a fire". It was in jest, but obviously was taken the wrong way. I didnt even know what I was banned for, as the statement just stated "diaf". I didn't consider the post notable nor had used 'diaf' as an abbreviation before, and had to look it up before I worked out why I got a ban.
I believe it was just that one thread where there was a mass banning.

shinshero said:
This really isn't the case. About a week ago I got banned for a week because I asked Firestorm why he would prefer multi-disk over a single disk for Final Fantasy XIII. I got banned for being off-topic, even though for the last two pages people were talking about how the Xbox 360 would have 720P movies etc.. etc...

The moral of the story: How the hell was I supposed to know that was off topic if the past two pages (100 Post Per Page) people were discussing said issue? Hell...I doubt it can even be considered off-topic at that point.
You were banned for talking about the Xbox 360 vs PS3 version discussion less than 10 posts after duckroll said to shut the hell up or he'd ban. Also, that was before that information was confirmed I believe. So it was all speculation.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Zero Hero said:
I have over 1100 posts which is my point.
Perhaps you were forcibly junior'd or something?

krae_man

Plywood said:
So does this $50 thing work on every perma'd member?
I don't want to find out on me.
Also what is the policy on lamps?

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also this thread has kept me entertained at work for a couple hours inbetween calls:D

P.S. I dont use lamps
very often

Zero Hero said:
If I was, I have no idea what for.

Normally it's for starting an incredibly stupid thread, but as far as I can tell, you never started any threads. Unless it was so bad that it got deleted, rather than locked, but then you'd probably have been banned instead.

So yeah, I've got nothing.

Karakand

numble said:
But what did they say?
Something about Italians being dirty, which in the context of international football discussion is a 100% factual statement. Marco Materazzi got my back on this one.

Nizz

Fersis said:
So mine means that im an idiot who posted in a thread without knowing that it was a 'tag fishing thread' ?
I prefer the database :(
Hey, at least you're even more noticeable and the tag isn't bad. ;) LTTP but wow at fistful. Any Natalie Portman threads won't be the same.

Ads here are so unobtrusive imo. I barely notice them, and some are pretty funny. They're harmless in my book. I've dealt with far worse, like ads where just scrolling over them proceed to open up a whole new window. Annoying...

Ganhyun

usually you don't know if they are perma-banned or a timed ban unless they post on other forums and mention it or a mod mentions it.

Nizz

SteelAttack said:
Well, people who get permed, don't come back.
:p
Sometimes it's hard to tell. Wasn't that dude bjork banned for like a year? Anyone would have thought he was perma-banned.

Dre

missbreedsiddx said:
:lol That was such a pathetic incident, a bunch of babies crying about not being able to break the TOS anymore. Gotta respect Red Scarlet for that one, despite getting shit left and right from the posters and with little backup from other mods within the thread, she stuck to her guns and did her job.
She did indeed.

... after a 9 month hiatus.
2q3op76.png

fps fanatic said:
Sometimes it's hard to tell. Wasn't that dude bjork banned for like a year? Anyone would have thought he was perma-banned.
Yeah, you're right. A year? Holy crap. I wonder what's the longest banning in GAF's history. With a comeback, of course.

Jtwo said:
The Google ads have hilarious results on threads pretty often.

Usually I have been getting this ad for supporting a kid in africa, with my fucking aunt on it as a spokes person. Creeps me out to see her on GAF.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I honestly hope fistful comes back at some point. He was entertaining and good at trolling.

I'm sure his mom will give him the 50$ to get him in again.

WJD

missbreedsiddx said:
:lol That was such a pathetic incident, a bunch of babies crying about not being able to break the TOS anymore. Gotta respect Red Scarlet for that one, despite getting shit left and right from the posters and with little backup from other mods within the thread, she stuck to her guns and did her job.

hughes_smug_smilie_1.png

edit: Damn you, Dre.

Red Scarlet

Crunched said:
Are we allowed to request a temporary ban? I've found myself wasting a lot of time just sitting at home F5ing GAF lately and would be much less tempted to check the site if I couldn't post for a month or so. I haven't been very busy the past few weeks, but I think I'd be more motivated to do something if I eliminated what's become a huge distraction.

Just PM a mod or admin for how long you want to be away.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Red Scarlet said:
Just PM a mod or admin for how long you want to be away.

Unban me when you finish reading the football thread. It's your job, it shouldn't take long.

Falch

missbreedsiddx said:

Yeah Red Scarlet is our
1zv4gfk.png

Boogie9IGN

Damn, I had no idea about the ads generating all the revenue. I'll make sure to take off adblock when I get home. I leave it off here at work and the ads are pretty funny sometimes :lol

Red Scarlet

QVT said:
Unban me when you finish reading the football thread. It's your job, it shouldn't take long.

I closed it, read the first 1000 or 3000 posts, then was told others would take care of the thread, then merged them and took those that said they were going to monitor it to their word. No one is assigned any threads, it isn't anyone's "duty" or "job" to look at a specific thread. I never understood why it was my personal "job" to look at, out of all threads on this forum, a thread about a sport I watch a couple times a year.

It also seemed pretty pointless to read all the posts when you guys had already made your own forum to talk about soccer (and call me a cunt, red harlot, stupid bitch, etc etc).

Supahblah got what he asked for. You guys had it good, and decided to blow it by telling me off.

Red Scarlet

I only watch the World Cup and if I'm told about a big tournament (like the Euro one earlier this year). Baseball is the only sport I really watch. I stopped looking at the forum you guys made a couple days after it started, I really doubt I'd be welcome there ever. You guys probably enjoy the freedom you have there anyway, too. Maybe it was was a blessing in disguise.

And I don't have any cat ears or weird crap like that, I haven't watched anime since the 90's. 99.9% of my avatars are not from anime.

Blablurn

Red Scarlet said:
I only watch the World Cup and if I'm told about a big tournament (like the Euro one earlier this year). Baseball is the only sport I really watch. I stopped looking at the forum you guys made a couple days after it started, I really doubt I'd be welcome there ever. You guys probably enjoy the freedom you have there anyway, too. Maybe it was was a blessing in disguise.

And I don't have any cat ears or weird crap like that, I haven't watched anime since the 90's. 99.9% of my avatars are not from anime.

BUT WAS IS REALLY WORTH IT?

hs6f69.jpg

we didn't harm anybody.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
The first thing I did was to make clear that we're not going to tolerate comments like those.

Everyone is welcome.

Red Scarlet

Blablurn said:
BUT WAS IS REALLY WORTH IT?

hs6f69.jpg

we didn't harm anybody.

You guys got the better end of it, your own forum without worry from evil ol' me.

QVT said:
The first thing I did was to make clear that we're not going to tolerate comments like those.

Everyone is welcome.

The first 70+ pages say a different story, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm glad you guys still have the same camaraderie over there that you had here.

Why For?

Banned
EviLore said:
It's not ad revenue I'm touchy about.

Before I took over in 2004, we were being hosted on the Gamesquad network, given a box to use in exchange for their banner ads. They ran anything and everything through those banners for the best financial outcome: pop-ups and malware galore, to the point where I couldn't bear to even come to GAF (as a goddamn admin) without editing my hosts file.

When I took responsibility for GAF, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. So since then GAF hasn't been overrun with advertisements or popups or malware, everything is unobtrusive and user-friendly, but there are also no burdens placed on the community to keep the site afloat, either. Play within the rules and all's well.

I don't particularly care if you decide to be an asshole and adblock privately, but flaunting the fact that you do it and/or suggesting that other members do it I take personally considering the aforementioned efforts taken and that the ads are the only source of revenue for the site. It's worse than piracy, and anyone who enjoys coming here should be ashamed to do it.

Maybe I'm just a PC noob, but I didn't even know you COULD block the ads on here.

But I'm not 100% sure why you would, you barely notice them (as in they're very unobtrusive) and half the time they add to the laughs of certain threads, so I'm not sure what the issue is with them.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
missbreedsiddx said:
kiss more ass.

here's something that I hope is not ban=worthy, but is it just me.. or does it seem like mods often have some of the lamest tags? Shouldn't they have the best? Whaddsup wit dat???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom