• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Letters said:
You know that nice and proud feeling of thinking you will be the one who makes it, the one that succeeds where others have failed, the one member who has been here for so many years without getting banned even once, well, until that feeling is brutally shattered, you're not truly a gaffer on the inside.

“It is not the moderator who counts; not the poster who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the maker of threads could have done them better. The credit belongs to the member who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and is banned again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to provide the lulz; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause of trolling, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he gets banned, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Evilore
"Citizenship in Neogaf"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Rapstah

Laughing Banana said:
You seem proud of it, hahaha.

A reverse question: who is the record-holder for longest time on GAF without getting banned whatsoever? I imagine he/she is not really active and always playing it safe most of the time, hahaha.
GAadmin. But that account may not qualify for your question.

beat

Laughing Banana said:
You seem proud of it, hahaha.

A reverse question: who is the record-holder for longest time on GAF without getting banned whatsoever? I imagine he/she is not really active and always playing it safe most of the time, hahaha.
I've never been banned so far, knock on wood. (EDIT: and I'm definitely not stealth asking for one.) Probably not a record holder though; I joined in 2006.

Do you really lose your subscriptions when banned?

Your Excellency said:
“It is not the moderator who counts; not the poster who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the maker of threads could have done them better. The credit belongs to the member who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and is banned again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to provide the lulz; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause of trolling, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he gets banned, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Evilore
"Citizenship in Neogaf"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Haha great

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I was banned once for posting a link to an Amazon sale for a game. Pokemon, I think. Still not sure why I was banned for it, to be honest, but that's the last time I ever make a thread about a game deal I've come across!

Leunam

CrankyJay said:
I'm still trying to figure out why I was juniored. Do any mods know the circumstances?

Did you make fun of a Junior Member by referring to him as such in a derogatory manner? That might do it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Leunam said:
Did you make fun of a Junior Member by referring to him as such in a derogatory manner? That might do it.

Possibly, but this is done all the time on GAF (particularly in the gaming section) and not everyone is juniored as a result. If I did, tell me so I know not to be a shitbag in the future.

I've only made like 3 threads recently. None were locked and weren't particularly shitty. All of them made it to at least page 2.

SmokyDave

Meus Renaissance said:
An admin gave me and Kermit the same tag. Does that qualify one of the two getting their tag changed? I don't think this has happened before
I'm going to guess that you probably don't want your tag changing. I suspect the new one would resemble the title of an X-Files episode.

Ooccoo

commish said:
I was banned once for posting a link to an Amazon sale for a game. Pokemon, I think. Still not sure why I was banned for it, to be honest, but that's the last time I ever make a thread about a game deal I've come across!

Was it an affiliate link?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
commish said:

it may have been a referral link?

besada

Banned
Trip Warhawkins said:
I disagree that dumb shit gets you short bannage. I will take to my grave my 3 month ban for jokingly requesting pics on some massacre of a thread.

That was a blood bath and many good men went down that day.

I got a month ban for calling princess diana a cunt.

ZY8W3.gif

besada

Banned
Devolution said:
What was this GAF d-day you guys speak of?

I barely remember the original thread, but it involved some guy and some girl, and a bunch of people jokingly suggested putting her pictures up somewhere. And most of us really were joking. It started early in the thread and we were doing that thing where people repeat a ridiculous request. And Dragona came through the thread like a deadly cyclone and something like 30+ people found themselves banned for a full three months. It was fugly.

In my case, I'd barely read the thread, and was just fucking around. Maybe one of the other casualties can remember enough about it to dig it up. For most people, it wasn't the ban that stung, it was the three month aspect of it. We'd engaged in a fairly minor infraction of the rules, and the punishment was WAY over the top.

Unlike a lot of people, it didn't make me hate Dragona. I could see her perspective. GAF can be a tough place for women, and she spent a lot of time trying to create a safe space for women here, and I'm sure that thread looked like a giant misogyny-fest if one entered it with a diminished sense of humor.

It's not so hard to stay unbanned. Just read the rules and use common sense, the rules are a bit more strict on flaming/trolling, but, yeah that's a good thing.

AlimNassor said:
It's not so hard to stay unbanned. Just read the rules and use common sense, the rules are a bit more strict on flaming/trolling, but, yeah that's a good thing.

OT is easymode. Gaming side, I dunno I've seen some funny shit go down.

AlimNassor said:

This applies for OT. Gaming has all sorts of fluctuating rules, thus I avoid it as much as possible.

teruterubozu said:
This applies for OT. Gaming has all sorts of fluctuating rules, thus I avoid it as much as possible.

General overarching rule is still 'don't be a prick'. (My only ban thus far was from Gaming, lol)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Qwomo said:
I got a two-week ban once for giving a blowjob with teeth.

teruterubozu said:

Gaming's not that bad. It's gotten somewhat better since some mods have left to where the "walking on eggshells" comparison about the arbitrary bans have lessened.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's not the same, there is no "is" in Kermit's tag.

It's still close enough to qualify calling it 'almost identical' imo

SmokyDave said:
I'm going to guess that you probably don't want your tag changing. I suspect the new one would resemble the title of an X-Files episode.

Fun fact: I got this tag way before I began posting about UFOs and such. I noticed it after my first ban, and assumed it to mean I was being watched by the mods or something. My first ban was caused by making two or three rage comments about the PSPGo's price when it was first announced. But since people associate with me UFO conspiracies, they assume it was given to me in response to those UFO threads. It was not. The motive behind it is more mysterious. I would like to know why I was given it, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bans suck. DOWN WITH BANS.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
levious said:
it may have been a referral link?

Might have been the case, though I don't use any referral links or services or whatever. If so, was accidental and a simple edit would have done the job.

besada

Banned
AlimNassor said:

When you've been here since February and only have five hundred posts, it is easy not to get banned. Revisit this when you've been here for several years and have thousands of posts to your name.

jay

Amir0x said:
Doesn't everyone know by now I never ban people for arguing with me? Only exception is insult flinging!

If I remember correctly, you banned me for saying you made something up in an argument. I guess I was questioning your character by implying you would lie?

You thought I was failing at reading comprehension and or being stupid. Which is fine, but I think saying you don't ban for arguing is misleading if you do ban for arguments you find stupid.

CrankyJay

Banned
besada said:
When you've been here since February and only have five hundred posts, it is easy not to get banned. Revisit this when you've been here for several years and have thousands of posts to your name.

8000+ posts for me, 1 one-week ban, and have been re-juniored. Though I feel I have pushed the envelope a few times on this forum, I try to behave for the most part. There are just certain members that it's just too much fun not to argue with them.

Devolution said:
OT is easymode. Gaming side, I dunno I've seen some funny shit go down.

i've been on Gaming for awhile. It's not half bad. When I was a junior I was always told Gaming side was a dangerous place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom