• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amir0x said:
Doesn't everyone know by now I never ban people for arguing with me? Only exception is insult flinging.

This is true. I do not agree with much of what you post, and do think you can come across as extremely hotheaded much of the time, but I have never seen you lay the ban hammer down for anyone disagreeing with you.

BankaiZaraki said:
I think if I post safe, I won't get banned. At the same time, I get curious about it. I hear you're not officially a member of Gaf until you get banned.

That's what they tell juniors to get them permanently banned.

Replicant

PhoncipleBone said:
It took me nearly five years until my first ban, and damn did I learn my lesson. I posted a picture, but the site I linked from changed it to goatse a few weeks later. Yeah, that month ban was rough.

I got 1 month ban because I posted the "U mad" gif in Heavy Rain thread. Screw the haters. <3 U Heavy Rain.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
RustyNails said:
I thought every mod needed EviLore's approval for banning someone? Hmm.
I'm pretty sure they are made mods due to not needing to be looked over(Well, mostly true) and have shown appropriate judgement. That would kind of contradict that idea. Heh.

ZZMitch

I was reading through a random thread and noticed blame space has been banned again. Didn't he just get back like two weeks ago?

I disagree that dumb shit gets you short bannage. I will take to my grave my 3 month ban for jokingly requesting pics on some massacre of a thread. Luckily, that mod is no longer with us.

Good riddance.

ZZMitch said:
I was reading through a random thread and noticed blame space has been banned again. Didn't he just get back like two weeks ago?
blame space has been banned for awhile. He did come back though I'm not sure how he got banned again.

PhoncipleBone said:
Probably only for permabans.
So when mods approach EviLore for permabans, his usual reaction:

7epyZ.gif

Pollux

FunkyPajamas said:
Nothing wrong with asking. Here.

Basically we need to avoid posting content that goes against google advertisement policies. Since we don't pay for membership and the main (only?) revenue source the forum has is google ads, we need to play nice. Or that's what I understood anyway.
Your screen name and that avatar confuse me.

Thanks for the link btw...figured it was something like that.

BankaiZaraki said:
I think if I post safe, I won't get banned. At the same time, I get curious about it. I hear you're not officially a member of Gaf until you get banned.

i just became an official member a couple of days ago then

Laughing Banana said:
So who is the current record holder for the most amount of bans without getting perma'd?

I want to say Toxic Adams. Could have the wrong guy, but I think I remember him talking about getting a bunch of bans and even being perma-banned once.

MIMIC

Banned
Just got off of a 3-month ban, lol

PRO-TIP: when it comes to controversial threads, lurking is better than posting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've been thrice-banned and each time I wasn't expecting it and the ban was for some asshole off-hand trollpost I didn't give a second thought to. Ironically, there have been times in very high traffic threads where I was sure I was very near the "line" and nothing happened.

I'll admit, even thought it's just a forum, it's really jarring to log on to GAF, expecting to post whatever, but instead see the YOU'RE BANNED screen.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Angry Grimace said:
Ironically, there have been times in very high traffic threads where I was sure I was very near the "line" and nothing happened.
mods can't read every post. i'm sure there's plenty that are ban-worthy that're missed.

that's where community comes in. report particularly bad posts. i'm fairly tolerant so i almost never report anything.

Casp0r

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this.

However if a mod ever locks a thread, could they please post why? I've seen numerous threads that seemed perfectly reasonable get locked with op banned, yet I have no idea what they did wrong.

Just a simple 'blah blah breaks blah blah rule' post at the end before locking would be nice.

DonMigs85

Angry Grimace said:
I've been thrice-banned and each time I wasn't expecting it and the ban was for some asshole off-hand trollpost I didn't give a second thought to. Ironically, there have been times in very high traffic threads where I was sure I was very near the "line" and nothing happened.

I'll admit, even thought it's just a forum, it's really jarring to log on to GAF, expecting to post whatever, but instead see the YOU'RE BANNED screen.
Yeah I got banned due to the PSN Down thread for saying that many (not all) CFW users only started caring about OtherOS after it was taken away from them, even if they never used it or were unaware of its existence beforehand. Which is indeed true.
Now I've learned to tread very carefully.

Avoid any thread about Nintendo that could lead to something remotely negative unless a mod has already stated an opinion in the thread validating what you want to say.

I once saw a good thread and wanted to be the first one to reply, so I quickly posted a 'holding post' in order to grab the first reply spot. Then I went back and edited my post and tried to think of something funny.

I was severely punished for this.

SmokyDave

Your Excellency said:
I once saw a good thread and wanted to be the first one to reply, so I quickly posted a 'holding post' in order to grab the first reply spot. Then I went back and edited my post and tried to think of something funny.

I was severely punished for this.
Wit comes from the sleeve, not the notebook.

I just made that up, that's why it doesn't actually make sense.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Laughing Banana said:
So who is the current record holder for the most amount of bans without getting perma'd?
Off the top of my head, Twig got 10+ before being perma banned, Though he claims he isn't sure just what he did to get permaed when he did.

feel

BankaiZaraki said:
You know that nice and proud feeling of thinking you will be the one who makes it, the one that succeeds where others have failed, the one member who has been here for so many years without getting banned even once, well, until that feeling is brutally shattered, you're not truly a gaffer on the inside.

Amir0x

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Probably only for permabans.

We don't need approval from Evilore in the sense that we're like submitting reviews to him before we are able to pull the trigger. We ban at our discretion through interpretation of TOS and whatnot. You know how difficult it would be for Evilore to sit there going down a list of every ban we have before approving them? Dude has enough responsibilities.

We log our bans and he certainly looks over them and overturns them from time to time and gives us an explanation why he thought it was wrong or whatever, but the reason mods are mods is because there needs to be individuals around to police things when he isn't around. If he had to approve everything he might as well have a much smaller group doing things since the mechanics would move much slower here around GAF :p

Amir0x said:
We don't need approval from Evilore in the sense that we're like submitting reviews to him before we are able to pull the trigger. We ban at our discretion through interpretation of TOS and whatnot. You know how difficult it would be for Evilore to sit there going down a list of every ban we have before approving them? Dude has enough responsibilities.

We log our bans and he certainly looks over them and overturns them from time to time and gives us an explanation why he thought it was wrong or whatever, but the reason mods are mods is because there needs to be individuals around to police things when he isn't around. If he had to approve everything he might as well have a much smaller group doing things since the mechanics would move much slower here around GAF :p

If you're the police, who will police the police?

Amir0x

Banned
Trent Strong said:
If you're the police, who will police the police?

the watchmen watch the police.

and who watches the watchmen, you ask?

Why the Patrolmen watch the Watchmen. And who patrols the patrolmen?

The Nightguardsman.

After that it's probably God or some shit since the Nightsguardsman is preeeetty dapper.

I wish I could ban people in real life. Give Hannity a perma-ban. Or tag people. That would be fun. Or maybe it wouldn't be fun and I'm just tired from being up for 28+ hours. Either way, I wonder if there's a thread for tagging celebrities. /ramble

Amir0x

Banned
Bay Maximus said:
I wish I could ban people in real life. Give Hannity a perma-ban. Or tag people. That would be fun. Or maybe it wouldn't be fun and I'm just tired from being up for 28+ hours. Either way, I wonder if there's a thread for tagging celebrities. /ramble

If I could ban people from life the first person I'd ban is Grover Norquist.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
salva said:

You seem proud of it, hahaha.

A reverse question: who is the record-holder for longest time on GAF without getting banned whatsoever? I imagine he/she is not really active and always playing it safe most of the time, hahaha.

Being banned sucks, especially after you just finished subscribing to 100 threads. lol

My last ban was a failure on my part because I responded to a funny post that was at the top of a page. In the middle of that same page, a mod said not to bring up that funny post anymore. A minute later I was banned for a week. :(

Protip: Read EVERYTHING before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom