• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EatChildren said:
http://www.abload.de/img/1237977458_thumbsup-tezrir.gif

YOU'RE NOT BANNED! You're some... rouge molten steel mod now! *Terminator theme.mp3*

Aliam said:
i've been on Gaming for awhile. It's not half bad. When I was a junior I was always told Gaming side was a dangerous place.

You missed the Epic Mickey thread where Lyre/Dragona basically made a "port-begging after this post is banned for a year" and BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM because the thread was moving fast total graveyard?

AlimNassor said:
i've been on Gaming for awhile. It's not half bad. When I was a junior I was always told Gaming side was a dangerous place.

Gaming side is crazy. People keep getting angry about sales figures of portable consoles that I barely knew existed. I want to go in and calm them down but I am fearful that I may be banned alongside all the others and go down as an innocent passerby.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
spindashing said:
I got banned for saying something in gaming, but in hindsight I probably deserved it. Only one ban to my name so far.
Yeah, I've got two bans. One for trolling MGS4 when I was like brand new here. Nobody was paying attention to me so I made some big post about how I can't wait until its released and everyone finds out the disc is padded. I remember it used to bug me so much when people would piss themselves over how many gigs a ps3 game was.

Then I got the wrong end of a mass ban, in my opinion. Jason Mraz said something about rockband, and like 50 people got banned.

besada

Banned
CrankyJay said:
8000+ posts for me, 1 one-week ban, and have been re-juniored. Though I feel I have pushed the envelope a few times on this forum, I try to behave for the most part. There are just certain members that it's just too much fun not to argue with them.

And sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing at the wrong end of a mod. They're people, too, and they have bad days just like we do.

I think I've had three (maybe four) in the four years I've been posting. And I got juniored at one point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
TheSeks said:
You missed the Epic Mickey thread where Lyre/Dragona basically made a "port-begging after this post is banned for a year" and BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM because the thread was moving fast total graveyard?

More recently wasn't there a massacre in a thread about Donkey Kong Country?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A Human Becoming said:
More recently wasn't there a massacre in a thread about Donkey Kong Country?

Due to the discourse being "LOL NO DKC DOESN'T SUCK. YOU SUCK!" Yes. But that one I feel was slightly justified, compared to the Epic Mickey thread where most people wouldn't have seen the ultimatium and Lyre (who was a shit mod, BTW. Glad he's gone.) not updating the OP/thread title with his threat and giving people a 10 minute cooldown period to avoid mass banning.

Esch

Banned
I feel like the frequency of mass banning graveyard gaming side threads have kinda really dropped off in the past year or two. I suspect that the change has a lot to do with the new mods, actually, most of whom usually are pretty good about nudging a poster in the right direction or actually moderating discussion instead of dragonacausting anything or anyone who posted something objectionable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheSeks said:
Due to the discourse being "LOL NO DKC DOESN'T SUCK. YOU SUCK!" Yes. But that one I feel was slightly justified, compared to the Epic Mickey thread where most people wouldn't have seen the ultimatium and Lyre (who was a shit mod, BTW. Glad he's gone.) not updating the OP/thread title with his threat and giving people a 10 minute cooldown period to avoid mass banning.

It probably could have been handled better, but the Xbox/Sony trolls really needed to fuck off.

Meus Renaissance said:
It's still close enough to qualify calling it 'almost identical' imo

Fun fact: I got this tag way before I began posting about UFOs and such. I noticed it after my first ban, and assumed it to mean I was being watched by the mods or something. My first ban was caused by making two or three rage comments about the PSPGo's price when it was first announced. But since people associate with me UFO conspiracies, they assume it was given to me in response to those UFO threads. It was not. The motive behind it is more mysterious. I would like to know why I was given it, though.
You said same tag not 'almost identical'.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TheSeks said:
I'm taking a guess the one is okay since you didn't get banned in it. While the other one you did.

Going into a thread and seeing about 10-15 pages of, "Why is it on Wii, should be on HD consoles". Well I would probably respond similar.

TheSeks said:
YOU'RE NOT BANNED! You're some... rouge molten steel mod now! *Terminator theme.mp3*

How many lost their lives?

Your Excellency said:
Gaming side is crazy. People keep getting angry about sales figures of portable consoles that I barely knew existed. I want to go in and calm them down but I am fearful that I may be banned alongside all the others and go down as an innocent passerby.

I have the urge to do that too and sometimes I have. usually I just keep my mouth shut for fear of being flamed. It happened to me a lot on Gamefaqs :/ i try to be the voice of reason and just get flamed.

besada said:
And sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing at the wrong end of a mod. They're people, too, and they have bad days just like we do.

I think I've had three (maybe four) in the four years I've been posting. And I got juniored at one point.

That's what worries me. It'll probably happen too.

Suairyu

Banned
G-Fex said:
I don't remember, I think I've only been banned once, it was for a stupid sexist joke. Thanks a lot Dragona.
I actually miss this aspect of Dragona's stewardship of GAF. Yeah, it's just a joke, but when it's a joke that singles out a vulnerable extreme minority, sometimes you have to play hardball on judging it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AlimNassor said:

Gaming side is full of morons who just like to be contrarian. Things in OTs are generally fine, however.

G-Fex

Suairyu said:
I actually miss this aspect of Dragona's stewardship of GAF. Yeah, it's just a joke, but when it's a joke that singles out a vulnerable extreme minority, sometimes you have to play hardball on judging it.

I don't mind the ban. It's the stupid ass puns from other posters that comes afterwards, terrible puns they were.

I kinda have hated gaming forum since then.

G-Fex

commish said:
Gaming side is full of morons who just like to be contrarian. Things in OTs are generally fine, however.

I'm pretty glad since I went with classic gaming, I avoid a ton of shit of the "news" and "rumors" and just about all that needless drama.

commish

G-Fex said:
I'm pretty glad since I went with classic gaming, I avoid a ton of shit of the "news" and "rumors" and just about all that needless drama.

Yeah, that's exactly it - avoid the rumors and news threads, at least after the initial post to get the news.

jay

bangai-o said:
the gaming side is kind of boring. "should i buy ___" "Nitnedo is doomed" "steam 4 life" "screw Activision" etc

If getting so emotionally invested in the future of a corporation you don't work for that you end up banned, you should check your pulse.

UrbanRats

Why is port begging bannable? I mean i understand if it gets out of hand in a specific thread, like a lot of people going "bohooo, why won't this come out on X platform?!", that can be annoying; though sometimes it's just an innocent opinion, like wanting Red Dead Redemption on PC, or wanting X console game on handheld (or viceversa) for specific reasons (be it mod community or portability, or the possibility to play it on a 50").

G-Fex

commish said:
Yeah, that's exactly it - avoid the rumors and news threads, at least after the initial post to get the news.

Pretty much, if it a gaming appreciation thread.

Then again they screw that up with stupid squabbles.

It's kinda 50/50 on a good day.

G-Fex

UrbanRats said:
Why is port begging bannable? I mean i understand if it gets out of hand in a specific thread, like a lot of people going "bohooo, why won't this come out on X platform?!", that can be annoying; though sometimes it's just an innocent opinion, like wanting Red Dead Redemption on PC, or wanting X console game on handheld (or viceversa) for specific reasons (be it mod community or portability, or the possibility to play it on a 50").

I wish Begging That guy from Firefly to be the Uncharted guy was bannable ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UrbanRats said:

Because it always gets out of hand, and because it adds nothing to the conversation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trent Strong said:
If you're the police, who will police the police?
Evilore has actually been pretty decent about coming clean when he's had to break off mods or the moderation hasn't been up to snuff.

3N16MA

Banned
UrbanRats said:

What good does something like that add to the conversation? The developers/publisher made a choice and if they see fit to release their title on another platform they will. Port begging adds nothing.

I was banned by Stump one time for saying "/thread"

He totally misinterpreted what I was saying but it was just a 24-hour ban so no worries.

btw I want to be a mod. What does it take?

Nizz

G-Fex said:
I don't know his name. I'm no fan of him.
Nathan Fillion? Yeah, it always amuses me when there's talk of an Uncharted movie and then tons of posts like "Nathan Fillion or bust". I never watched Firefly so I guess it's one of those "had to be there" type situations to get his appeal.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I've been around for several (three or four, I think) years now and have yet to be banned, unless my banning happened to coincide with a self-imposed hiatus from the forums and I was none the wiser when I got back.

commish

The Lamonster said:
I was banned by Stump one time for saying "/thread"

He totally misinterpreted what I was saying but it was just a 24-hour ban so no worries.

btw I want to be a mod. What does it take?

I'll never understand the appeal of posting "/thread". What does that add to anything? I also hate when people quote someone else's post and just put a period, or "This."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
beat said:
Do you really lose your subscriptions when banned?

yes

salva said:
I think i have like 10 or so :\

commish said:
Might have been the case, though I don't use any referral links or services or whatever. If so, was accidental and a simple edit would have done the job.

yeah, it was a referral link. mods tend to be pretty harsh on the possibility of spam-related stuff including referral links but obviously it was a 1 week ban from like 4 years ago so...

UrbanRats said:

typically we don't ban for the idea of someone feeling a game would be better on another platform. obviously some would. it depends how out of hand things get, what kind of history the game has, what the given thread is like. i'm sure people can find examples of port begging bans in the past that were a little touchier than the standard i just described, but i'm just giving my insight on how i and most of the mods i talk to would judge okay versus not okay.

Neuromancer said:
Question:

If you get juniored, and then banned, will that be a perma ban? I know it's that way with 'regular' juniors.

we are able to tell the difference between perma-juniors and junior-juniors.

Laughing Banana said:
So who is the current record holder for the most amount of bans without getting perma'd?

two users have 17 bans and are not permed, i don't think we would disclose exactly who. fartblast is the all-time record-holder with 21 bans. i think we've gotten better at giving lower punishments for first-timers and harsher punishments for chronic pains in the ass and identifying people with long records of abuse--so i don't expect anyone will ever get near that number in the future.

CrankyJay

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Excellent, good to hear. Well there's that at least, CrankyJay.

LOL. Well, I guess I won't really miss not being able to make threads. But I thought not being a full member restricts other access on the site as well.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
commish said:
I'll never understand the appeal of posting "/thread". What does that add to anything? I also hate when people quote someone else's post and just put a period, or "This."

I can understand why they might be viewed as not adding anything substantial, but sometimes when I go into a thread I'll find someone has already replied with exactly what I was going to post, often worded more articulately. By quoting and saying "this" I signal I feel/think the same way. As for "/thread", I only like to see it when the OP asks a question with an obvious answer.

CrankyJay

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
I can understand why they might be viewed as not adding anything substantial, but sometimes when I go into a thread I'll find someone has already replied with exactly what I was going to post, sometime worded more articulately. By quoting and saying "this" I signal I feel/think the same way. As for "/thread", I only like to see it when the OP asked a question with an obvious answer.

That's why forums should have "Like" or "+1" buttons for posts. That way you can achieve the same thing but not take up extra space on the page. It would make reading through threads that much easier.

Zeliard

commish said:

The /thread thing is dumb. The "this" is understandable, though I don't do it. But if someone basically said exactly what you would have, and you don't have anything to add other than general agreement, seems okay. Dunno how the mods view it.

/thread is dumb because you're implicitly telling others they should stop posting.

ghibli99

^^^ I've always seen "/thread" as a challenge. It's like someone thinks the answer won't be topped, but it inevitably does, which can be surprising.

Stumpokapow said:
typically we don't ban for the idea of someone feeling a game would be better on another platform. obviously some would. it depends how out of hand things get, what kind of history the game has, what the given thread is like. i'm sure people can find examples of port begging bans in the past that were a little touchier than the standard i just described, but i'm just giving my insight on how i and most of the mods i talk to would judge okay versus not okay.
Yeah, I remember I brought up wanting Dragon Quest X on a handheld because of how great I thought DQ4-6&9 were as portable games.

I received several PMs over the next few hours saying that I was probably gonna get banned if I didn't edit my post, and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had to check the thread again, and one of the mods had mocked my post. It was during a time when I wasn't on GAF all that much, so it was a bit of a surprise. I'm usually very friendly and level-headed here and it wasn't like I posted, "Fuck this! Wii's for losers... put that shit on DS, son!" (and you have no idea how hard it was for me to type that just now :)).

Good thread here, though... quite a few things I never knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom