• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
this is why im extremely careful when posting on gaf and why i avoid sales age threads among others like the plague :lol

neoism

fanboi said:
Regarding mods, here is an list of who are Class Omega and who are Class 3 mods.

Forum Administrators
Account Approvals
bishoptl
Blackace
Dragona Akehi
john tv
maharg
Shouta
Vennt

Moderators
Amir0x
BuddyC
duckroll
Hyoushi
Jim
lyre
maharg
Red Scarlet
sonycowboy
Teknopathetic
White Man

System Administrators

EviLore
gaadmin
Hitokage
iapetus
maharg
WasabiKing
So what's the difference from System, and forum admins, I always thought Bish was the number two or something.
Also great thread fanboi..

daw840 said:
That was by far the most horrible thing I have ever seen on youtube. I don't know if I could possibly be more annoyed.

I actually love that video, because it basically encapsulates everything I hate about the Internet. Terrible song, terrible spelling, a piss poor argument and 12 years old with a sense of entitlement. Only thing that could have made it worse is if it was also a FMV.

Plus, it sounds like he is crying at the end of it, its fantastic.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dark Stalkers said:
Yeah that one!
The guy went bananas

ConfusingJazz said:
I actually love that video, because it basically encapsulates everything I hate about the Internet. Terrible song, terrible spelling, a piss poor argument and 12 years old with a sense of entitlement. Only thing that could have made it worse is if it was also a FMV.

Plus, it sounds like he is crying at the end of it, its fantastic.
You forgot the : 'EEEEEH EEEEH' that doesnt make any sense at all.

I got banned for posting "I hate games that have "Chrono" in the title and have nothing to do with Chrono Trigger." in a thread about some game called "Chronometer".

So, I guess don't do that.

hertog

7. WEEKEND GAF LOL (and ALL its variants. If you call weekend GAF on a thread to dismiss or derail it, you will be banned. Let mods and admins decide what is not worthy of a thread)

I don't get this one :(

Brannon

Never been banned, but don't make ban bets with another person. It only ends up with both parties getting the shaft.

Use common sense, and you'll even be able to post a thread within the first few minutes of registering at Something Awful and not be flamed. Truly, GAF has taught me well.

numble

hertog said:
7. WEEKEND GAF LOL (and ALL its variants. If you call weekend GAF on a thread to dismiss or derail it, you will be banned. Let mods and admins decide what is not worthy of a thread)

It doesn't happen anymore.

NYR

hertog said:

People used to post a thread on the weekends, it would normally be silly or old news, because it was slow for news on weekends. People would reply with "Weekend GAF LOL", just leading to a general derail of a thread with various pics and memes.

It got to the point that almost any thread posted on the weekend had these replies...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hertog said:

there is an idea--quite a prevalent one from what i can tell--that on weekends the forum gets more profoundly dumb. hence, when a thread posted on the weekend is perceived to be of a particularly dumb quality or a poster wants to dismiss it outright as silly, "weekend gaf" is brought up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If a mod took it upon themselves to ban the plane pic, they never told anyone else. That said, please don't post anything like that just for the sake of posting it, be it plane pics, puns, photoshops, or otherwise. Please try to express a modicum of creativity and you should be A-OK. That's what made this thread enjoyable: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381423

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hitokage said:
If a mod took it upon themselves to ban the plane pic, they never told anyone else. That said, please don't post anything like that just for the sake of posting it, be it plane pics, puns, photoshops, or otherwise. Please try to express a modicum of creativity and you should be A-OK. That's what made this thread enjoyable: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381423

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about the plane meme being banned except by people in this thread. That said, memes in general should be used with caution.

EviLore said:
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about the plane meme being banned except by people in this thread. That said, memes in general should be used with caution.

Like with most thoughts regarding moderation policy, this "rule" was based on hearsay and superstition. :p

I miss weekend gaf and caturday. Generally, a weekend gaf thread would turn into Caturday. Occasionally the OP and others would desperately try to steer the ship right but it'd just make it worse/more awesome.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kentpaul said:
Did't know it was only people with 20,000 posts on neogaf could be funny , the hate Jr's get around here is unacceptable

1. Learn to fucking read. I never said only people with 20k posts could be funny. I said you're not.

2. The hate Juniors get around here is completely acceptable when you make a dumbass post like that. Juniors need to prove themselves, not because it takes 200 posts to make a genius, but because there's little context to illuminate their posts.

3. Jesus FUCK I'm trying to help your dumb ass.

4. People that say "lol junior" should be banned on the spot anyway, but that's just my opinion.

ccbfan

Evilore frequents the Memphis Tigers board on NCAABBS and I'm always tempted to get into an arguement with him.

I fear retribution though.

We at least have something in common now though.

we both hate Calipari

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ccbfan said:
Evilore frequents the Memphis Tigers board on NCAABBS and I'm always tempted to get into an arguement with him.

I fear retribution though.

We at least have something in common now though.

we both hate Calipari

...I've never heard of the NCAABBS
or the Memphis Tigers
. Not me.

Ultimo hombre said:
I miss weekend gaf and caturday. Generally, a weekend gaf thread would turn into Caturday. Occasionally the OP and others would desperately try to steer the ship right but it'd just make it worse/more awesome.

Not sure what Caturday is. If its a lolcat thread, then i'm all for it, but if its being used to derail other threads, then its a problem and i'm glad its banned, as it can get quite annoying.

What happens if someone starts a caturday thread though... no derailment there, and people can post funny cat pictures! :lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I've heard that the mods are all really just Evilore alt-accounts, each one representing a different facet of his personality. Hito is his intellect, Bish his rage, Dragona his femininity.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I got a ban for die-in-a-fire as well in the Blue Dragon music thread. I think many of us did. Red Scarlet was more red than scarlet that day.

Borgnine said:
I've heard that the mods are all really just Evilore alt-accounts, each one representing a different facet of his personality. Hito is his intellect, Bish his rage, Dragona his femininity.

What about amir0x and duckroll? They were fighting yesterday. It was epic.

Never say that custom firmware is for pirating games.

This was why dfyb was perma'd, and he was pointing to it as a reason the psp is failing iirc.

All in all, great thread Fanboi. This should get stickied or something equivalent.

These are pretty much the two biggest unwritten rules:

1) Don't insinuate women are bad at driving
1a) Don't diss Card RPGs

I may be wrong about this, but I hear posting pictures of Nicole Bass raises your reputation rating.

Nelo Ice said:
this is why im extremely careful when posting on gaf and why i avoid sales age threads among others like the plague :lol

NDP threads can be chaos but I wouldn't have it any other way. All the info is in the OP and the rest open for gifs and memes. Its a spectacle of sorts. A day later the dust settles and users are free to discuss and speculate without the spam. Its a good cycle in my opinion.

charsace said:
Don't make fun of the grizzlies or Big Country.
roynelson1.jpg

Him?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tobor said:
For me it's the other way around. I see a mod have the exact opposite opinion of mine, and I have no idea if it's safe to continue the discussion. I've had a mod threaten to ban me if I didn't drop a discussion before, so now I feel like I have to tiptoe and see if it's ok to continue. Sometimes I wuss out and just preemptively drop it.

Quoted for truth. You should count yourself lucky that you were warned though. I've been banned for expressing an opinion about a game in a thread explicitly dedicated to "things you hate about certain games". The mod apparently REALLY liked the game.

Borgnine said:
No. Though I've always wondered if anyone has tried to re-up their avatar with a new image but the same file name to try and communicate from beyond the grave. I'm sure it'd be taken down as soon as a mod saw it though, or would result in a perm if it's only a temporary ban.
Crushed turned a temp ban into a permaban by doing precisely this. It was one of the most creative account suicides I have been witness to.

charsace

polyh3dron said:
http://midwesternidiot.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/roynelson1.jpg

Him?[/QUOTE]
Big Country Reeves is who I meant. Used to play center for the Vancouver Girzzlies and stole their money.[spoiler]Joking[/spoiler]

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
PantherLotus said:
1. Learn to fucking read. I never said only people with 20k posts could be funny. I said you're not.

2. The hate Juniors get around here is completely acceptable when you make a dumbass post like that. Juniors need to prove themselves, not because it takes 200 posts to make a genius, but because there's little context to illuminate their posts.

3. Jesus FUCK I'm trying to help your dumb ass.

4. People that say "lol junior" should be banned on the spot anyway, but that's just my opinion.

Chill man that was pretty harsh i was only saying

Why For?

Banned
From what I've noticed, saying anything negative about Sony exclusives is bannable now.

But trolling Wii60 games is still pretty sweet unless it's over the top.

what about locked threads? i made a thread the other day and it got locked within five posts for no reason that i could see. (it was asking if anyone had a criminal record though....)

Axion22

I think we'd all be better off if everyone took it upon themselves to refrain from using memes for as long as humanly possible.

It's okay to slip, damn things get stuck in your head, but really - respect your fellow GAFers.

Kentpaul

Axion22 said:
I think we'd all be better off if everyone took it upon themselves to refrain from using memes for as long as humanly possible.

It's okay to slip, damn things get stuck in your head, but really - respect your fellow GAFers.

Memes make the internet what is man , what separates the hardcore from the casualcore

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If you go into a post or thread thinking "I'll probably get banned for this...but,"

You'll probably get banned for it.

It does seem like there are a lot of "bannable" things that are like "Really? Who gives a shit?"

But it is what it is.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MThanded said:
1. If you only have an arcade stick for two of the current gen consoles and suggest that it would be nice to have a port of a game onto one of them consoles you will get banned. Even if you own the console that the game is originally on and you do not bad mouth it at all....

2. Don't joke about seeing pics if someone says that have pics of some chick they were once with. Even if its a joke you run the risk of getting banned

3. Don't social engineer someone to post their password...

These are the three ways i got banned
THIS. Seiously, don't even joke about it. Don't even lecture someone not to do it in the same post.
Just don't.

In general, I am trying to learn (reconcile?) these two rules of life:
1. Tone doesn't come across on the internet
2. Any funny post becomes less funny when you follow it with jk, ;), lol or anything else that makes it clear your joking.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
charsace said:
Don't make fun of the grizzlies or Big Country.
Steve Francis is fair game though.
Staccat0 said:
THIS. Seiously, don't even joke about it. Don't even lecture someone not to do it in the same post.
Just don't.
QFT

3 month ban - first offense.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what about locked threads? i made a thread the other day and it got locked within five posts for no reason that i could see. (it was asking if anyone had a criminal record though....)

Yeah I was so hyped to see what criminal shit GAF had done.

Kentpaul

Milk Lizard said:
Yeah I was so hyped to see what criminal shit GAF had done.

Yeh that woulda been a good thread

everyones done one thing another and been cought id assume

Serenity

I would say to avoid being banned make sure you root for the right team.

It seems as if your ability to troll or be a raging fanboy is directly porportional to the sales of the company you are siding with.

Baker

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
One of my first threads on gaf was exactly like this one (called Bannage or something) and it was locked after four posts. :lol

AMUSIX

Another to add to the OP:

I posted a thread asking where GAF's ToS were (had searched the FAQ forum) and got banned for a week. Yes, it was a stupid question, but I had honestly always glossed over that blue bar at the top of the screen (something explained in the thread pre-ban). My ban reason was "sheer stupidity".

So, yes, being stupid and/or unobservant is bannable.

There are two things that we've been told were bannable that aren't enforced though:
-Not reading the first post of a thread
This seems not to apply anymore...was enforced in a single thread, IIRC.

-FHUTA
When the ban-worthy memes thread was put up in the FAQ, it originally included this, stating that it was offensive and sexist. It has since been removed, and I don't believe it was ever enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom