• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
liquid_gears said:
No jokes about dead celebrities or relatives of dead celebrities.

GAF generally finds puns about deaths amusing, but if there is a hive mind of faux outrage against the joke, you're fucked.

This is big one just because it's so treacherous, it really seems to depend on which tier the celebrity is on.

Also avoid SERIOS BUSINESS threads like "man pokes out babies eye sockets and then skullfucks it then throws it in acid" because what do you even say to that?

MMaRsu

Banned
Borgnine said:
This is big one just because it's so treacherous, it really seems to depend on which tier the celebrity is on.

Also avoid SERIOS BUSINESS threads like "man pokes out babies eye sockets and then skullfucks it then throws it in acid" because what do you even say to that?

:lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Borgnine said:
I got banned in a thread where a mother stuck her baby in a microwave. Some guy made a picture of the baby in the microwave with Slippy from StarFox saying "This baby can take temperatures up to x degrees." I quoted it and responded with a laughing smiley. Banned for "encouraging." Weak.

You'll have something like that and then you'll have another offensive topic that will produce similar posts and yet no bans. Therefore, it's best to just avoid something that may be construed as offensive. Hedge your bets.

Tarazet

Also, duplicate threads is kind of a gray area. If you post a thread that duplicates another story from the past day, it'll get locked, never mind that it's probably on page 25 by the time the second thread pops up (OT moves so fast these days). If it's from last week, it's older than Jesus. If it's from last month, then you can't really bump the old thread or post a new one, so you're kind of stuck.

numble

I think it's a ban to go internet detective on another gaffer. I remember somebody got banned for talking about a folder full of information he had on another gaffer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
numble said:
I think it's a ban to go internet detective on another gaffer. I remember somebody got banned for talking about a folder full of information he had on another gaffer.
This is correct and for good reason. However, it was cool when AlphaSnake did it.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Bboy AJ said:
I got banned in a thread where a mother stuck her baby in a microwave. Some guy made a picture of the baby in the microwave with Slippy from StarFox saying "This baby can take temperatures up to x degrees." I quoted it and responded with a laughing smiley. Banned for "encouraging." Weak.

You'll have something like that and then you'll have another offensive topic that will produce similar posts and yet no bans. Therefore, it's best to just avoid something that may be construed as offensive. Hedge your bets.

I got banned in the same thread! Someone was sensitive on that one.

fanboi

Banned
AlexMogil said:
Where have you been?

Well, I don't follow NHL or Hockey that much (never been in the thread).
Thats why!

EDIT: But I do like em when I see them (Näslund was/is a great player, also the Sedin brothers)

MMaRsu

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Holy shit! Well I sure wasn't trying to encourage anything by laughing about what Chars just posted.. I love babies man :(.

MrPliskin

Banned
I've always wondered...can you appeal a ban? Like, if you get banned, but then you see the error in your ways, can you sacrifice anything to the greek gods of GAF?

fanboi

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I've always wondered...can you appeal a ban? Like, if you get banned, but then you see the error in your ways, can you sacrifice anything to the greek gods of GAF?

Everyone that gets a perm gets an account no.
If you deposit enough you will get back.

Or thats what I have heard

EDIT: Serious note, no... I can't imagine that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MrPliskin said:
I've tried sending an e-mail to the address at the mainpage, but as you can imagine it didn't really matter.

If it's a temp ban, I don't think it matters in the long run anyways.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MrPliskin said:
You can mail them and explain 'your ways'.

Jayge

I got banned when I responded to (I think an MTHanded thread) this thread with a picture of two fat white women hugging it out in the middle of a circular crowd of random black people at what appeared to be a party by saying "White bitches." :lol learned my lesson.

RobertM

You can get banned for supporting a bigoted experiment. XBL, GayBoy (in pink), "he should have seen it coming", banned.

MrPliskin

Banned
fanboi said:
Everyone that gets a perm gets an account no.
If you deposit enough you will get back.

Or thats what I have heard

EDIT: Serious note, no... I can't imagine that.

:lol

I was just curious. I mean, Forums aren't exactly serious business, so it's not a big deal, but I know some folks on my PSN list have had some long bans and / or perm bans, so I always wondered if they ever did anything / could do anything to get those nuked accounts back.

Still, I think the mods on GAF do a pretty good job. Sure, sometimes personal opinion / thoughts can get in the way, but seriously they're just human and it's the internet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kentpaul said:
Did't know it was only people with 20,000 posts on neogaf could be funny , the hate Jr's get around here is unacceptable
STFU n00b

amirite guyz

No, serously:

sprsk said:
Q: Why do I get made fun of?
A: Because you are a Junior Member. LURK. READ THE FAQS. USE SEARCH.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
MrPliskin said:

No. Though I've always wondered if anyone has tried to re-up their avatar with a new image but the same file name to try and communicate from beyond the grave. I'm sure it'd be taken down as soon as a mod saw it though, or would result in a perm if it's only a temporary ban.

Borgnine said:
No. Though I've always wondered if anyone has tried to re-up their avatar with a new image but the same file name to try and communicate from beyond the grave. I'm sure it'd be taken down as soon as a mod saw it though, or would result in a perm if it's only a temporary ban.

I think that's what happened to that clown Crushed.

RubxQub

MMaRsu said:
Crushed was an idiot anyway.
A funny idiot, though.

Some of his posts were very clever.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So the plane meme is banned? Oh man...

And yeah, the cool story bro one is annoying, as much as the tl;dr one.

daw840

Make sure not to oppose banning peanut products in schools. 2 month ban for that one, even when I thought I was being fairly cordial in presenting my stance whilst being called everything from idiot to moron.

Overall though, this place is pretty fair and balanced.

edit: Although, I did receive a one week ban for the thread that was talking about InBevs takeover of Budweiser. I mentioned that they will probably lay people off, but in the article it stated that they had promised not to. Guess what happened a few months later? They started laying people off.:lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bernardobri said:
So the plane meme is banned? Oh man...

And yeah, the cool story bro one is annoying, as much as the tl;dr one.
Most non-substantial posts are annoying. People just post them to stay visible (despite having nothing to actually say.)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RubxQub said:
A funny idiot, though.

Some of his posts were very clever.
Never heard or read anything about Crushed.

By the way, there is a hip hop song about GAF from a banned member on youtube.
Dont know the name sadly

fanboi

Banned
Regarding mods, here is an list of who are Class Omega and who are Class 3 mods.

Forum Administrators
Account Approvals
bishoptl
Blackace
Dragona Akehi
john tv
maharg
Shouta
Vennt

Moderators
Amir0x
BuddyC
duckroll
Hyoushi
Jim
lyre
maharg
Red Scarlet
sonycowboy
Teknopathetic
White Man

System Administrators

EviLore
gaadmin
Hitokage
iapetus
maharg
WasabiKing

At one point, not spoiler tagging spoilers in official TV threads (including the official preview) was bannable.

I hope that returns.

If not, I will continue my discouragement campaign.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Contributions:

* Dont make fun of people's weight! (Even innocent photoshops that imply weight issue are bannable!)
* Dont brag about being a jerk to someone, not only will GAF eat you up, you will probably end up being banned for being a dick and defending your position.
* Critiquing PC gaming is like cursing out mohammed
peace be upon him
in Pakistan to a certain mod, you will be beheaded even when its only light criticism...
* Offending a MOD is death. Maybe he wont ban you on the spot but he'll get you...
* Avoid being racist, you racist bastards.
* Avoid being a bigot
* Dont say you have secret information when you dont. Dont BS GAF, these people search the interwebs of information for a living and have time to spare.
* Dont critique game systems, it comes off as trolling no matter how you do it.
* Games are easier to critique but avoid being caught as a person who is basing his whole argument on the name of the title or a trailer.
* Dont post pictures that offend people or make gaffers want to hurl.
* Remember Mods are bias like all human beings, try to avoid offending what they like. This is not a democracy. Its a complete dictatorship so bend over and take it. We are all the better for it since it keeps so many jerks out.
Have I done well my masters

And don't forget the golden rule, treat others as you would like to be treated. Being a cynical jerk will not get you ban (GAF wouldn't exist) but it makes for a better community and stops threads from becoming a spectacle of insults, defense, spin, followed by more insults and post history embarrassing everyone involved.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Fersis said:
Never heard or read anything about Crushed.

By the way, there is a hip hop song about GAF from a banned member on youtube.
Dont know the name sadly

Crushed eventually got all his posts erased from the board. There are a few others I remember having that happening to them. Maybe Matlock? or MAF.

EDIT: looking at topics that had Crushed I see his posted aren't erased. Coulda sworn they were at one point. Oh well.

And I actually made a topic about a NeoGAF youtube diss 2 years ago.

I was banned once in a Girl-Age thread for "Asking for pics and being an asshole", when I specifically told the OP NOT to be an douchebag and not post pics of his ex-girlfriend.

Ganhyun

GoutPatrol said:
Crushed eventually got all his posts erased from the board. There are a few others I remember having that happening to them. Maybe Matlock? or MAF.

And I actually made a topic about a NeoGAF youtube diss 2 years ago.

IIRC Crushed got banned for getting into it deeply with Amirox. Then he did it again and went crazy and they removed all his posts?

RubxQub

hectorse said:
I was banned once in a Girl-Age thread for "Asking for pics and being an asshole", when I specifically told the OP NOT to be an douchebag and not post pics of his ex-girlfriend.
What kind of asshole tells someone not to post pictures of their girlfriend?

You should be thankful you aren't perm'd with that attitude!

RubxQub said:
What kind of asshole tells someone not to post pictures of their girlfriend?

You should be thankful you aren't perm'd with that attitude!

Read again?

This guy had broken up with his girlfriend and was being a douchebag about it, he was teasing GAF with the idea of posting pics of his EX girlfriend naked.

I told him not to be a douchebag and NOT post those pics because that is just being lame.

i would really love to see "cool story, bro" banned. it adds absolutely nothing to anything, and it's in so many threads lately.

me saying I want something banned reminds me, backseat modding is bannable. Which I may have just been doing.
Please don't ban me :(

Tarazet

hectorse said:

I'm pretty sure I remember that. If you go "Hey, please DON'T PM me pix! And DON'T POST them for everyone either! *wink*" it's clear what you're actually saying.

Tarazet said:
I'm pretty sure I remember that. If you go "Hey, please DON'T PM me pix! And DON'T POST them for everyone either! *wink*" it's clear what you're actually saying.

I didn't post anything like that though, but maybe the mod confused the intent, oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom