• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

RubxQub said:
I actually give our mod team a ton of credit.

They all come across very well in their general postings, and it's only very specific hot-button issues that really set people off...but even in those areas I feel they are pretty justified in their positions, and I've never seen one of them push their mod status in the conversation as a threat.

...but you do notice that if a mod says something in a thread, it'll get quoted a bunch and people will say "You summed it up perfectly" or "Great post" or something like that to brown nose :lol

For me it's the other way around. I see a mod have the exact opposite opinion of mine, and I have no idea if it's safe to continue the discussion. I've had a mod threaten to ban me if I didn't drop a discussion before, so now I feel like I have to tiptoe and see if it's ok to continue. Sometimes I wuss out and just preemptively drop it.

Dabanton

RubxQub said:
I remember seeing Evilore's Dragon-Age OP and just walking the fuck away :lol

I have no intention of ever playing that game, but I can't see how any of us would have gotten away with posting something like that. I chalked it up to Evilore just having some fun with the overly sensitive gaming folks (which is almost definitely the case).

:lol That was pretty good.

fanboi

Banned
Tobor said:
For me it's the other way around. I see a mod have the exact opposite opinion of mine, and I have no idea if it's safe to continue the discussion. I've had a mod threaten to ban me if I didn't drop a discussion before, so now I feel like I have to tiptoe and see if it's ok to continue. Sometimes I wuss out and just preemptively drop it.

You got threaten due to diffrent views?
Or you being a prick?

If not, going in the op!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but to further discuss the limits of trolling: don't reverse troll or troll ironically.

My own ban story is that I was reverse trolling a Nintendo thread (the thread itself was about a homoerotic WiiWare game in Japan made by Konami). My trolling included comments about how this is yet another game NOA will refuse to release and also interpolations of the world "fail" into various spots within "Nintendo" (I won't repeat them as that is specifically what got me banned).

In my ban message I was told that it was one of the worst trolling attempts the mod had ever seen, serious or not. And I agree.

Also, I should add that any "unspoken rules" can be cast out the window if you're a GAF Allstar poster. However, it should be noted that your rise and fall can be lightning quick, so don't completely bank on your history to save you.

devilhawk

One of the funnies nights on GAF before some took it too far:

Having a thread to discuss the trolling of live webcam strippers is NOT a bannable offense.

Tobor

fanboi said:
You got threaten due to diffrent views?
Or you being a prick?

If not, going in the op!

I was specifically told to drop a particular argument or take a ban. It was in an NPD thread, which is the GAF equivalent of The Deadliest Catch, so who knows. I don't think I was being a prick, I'm fairly self aware of when I'm being a prick. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
morningbus said:
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but to further discuss the limits of trolling: don't reverse troll or troll ironically.

My own ban story is that I was reverse trolling a Nintendo thread (the thread itself was about a homoerotic WiiWare game in Japan made by Konami). My trolling included comments about how this is yet another game NOA will refuse to release and also interpolations of the world "fail" into various spots within "Nintendo" (I won't repeat them as that is specifically what got me banned).

In my ban message I was told that it was one of the worst trolling attempts the mod had ever seen, serious or not. And I agree.

Also, I should add that any "unspoken rules" can be cast out the window if you're a GAF Allstar poster. However, it should be noted that your rise and fall can be lightning quick, so don't completely bank on your history to save you.
I miss Wollan and Seiken :(
Private Hoffman was another All Star

fanboi

Banned
Tobor said:
I was specifically told to drop a particular argument or take a ban. It was in an NPD thread, which is the GAF equivalent of The Deadliest Catch, so who knows. I don't think I was being a prick, I'm fairly self aware of when I'm being a prick. :lol

If someone can't have an civilized discussion... thats sad...

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was it on GAF that Australian IPs were banned?

Also I remember "bitch" being banned for a period of time.

Maybe i'm confused with another forum..

Tobor

fanboi said:
If someone can't have an civilized discussion... thats sad...

I'm not worried about it, it just makes me think twice before continuing with a discussion once a mod voices dissent. If anyone asks, I fell down the stairs. :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anecdotally, 100% of the near-crash experiences I've had while driving normally were caused by female drivers either distracted by their cell phone or through sheer incompetence. Usually they're driving a huge SUV, which means I get crunched in my sport compact if it ever escalates out of "near."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
purg3 said:
not just about female drivers, but sexist comments in general. just found that thread again, looks like most of them are still banned, must have been perma'd.

woman driver thread
Any juniors that were banned were likely perma'd.

...random question: If someone is "junior'd", do they get perma'd if they get banned?

Tarazet

Incognito said:
admittedly, the mods have become a lot better over time. the list of questionable mods is down to 1 or 2.

I don't have a problem with the moderating team on an individual basis. I have noticed the posting pool has suffered because of the herd-thinning, though. The people that pushed the envelope too far are exactly the sort of people that you want to have around, just because they do push buttons and get people excited. If you let that go, then you have the homogenized colloid that is today's GAF. The "combo" threads are the most vivid example of this unblinking hivemind. It makes me sick. I think that the forum would benefit massively from undoing some of those permabans.

fanboi

Banned
EviLore said:
Anecdotally, 100% of the near-crash experiences I've had while driving normally were caused by female drivers either distracted by their cell phone or through sheer incompetence. Usually they're driving a huge SUV, which means I get crunched in my sport compact if it ever escalates out of "near."

I would edit that before ba....

uuuhh... carry on

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EviLore said:
Dude, edit your comment before Dragona see it!
EDIT: Beaten :(

Just want to add that Evilore is not a banhammer kind of guy, its a cool cat.

Woffls

So the moral of the story is act like everyone else does and you'll be okay?

I just find it easier to avoid gaming, OT is much more forgiving and you're less likely to be misinterpreted and... okay I'll stop there, I can feel a rant approaching.

NYR

I was really glad when they got rid of the "weekend GAF" comments and/or the "caturday" meme - it was literally in every thread on the weekends. Back in the day when I only had time to surf on weekends, it was brutal to read threads because of that.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kimosabae said:
GAF is looking quite draconian, here. Harmless GIFs banned because of their popularity? Really? I can understand hackneyed memes becoming incredibly irritating to look at if you're more than 12, but it harms the subjective experience of many posters (I love seeing the airplane GIF, personally. Even though it's often overused, it was often used appropriately).

How much do mods really want to impose their own standards, here? Seems like a slippery slope to me. Soon, GIFs will be banned all together - and we all know this wouldn't be GAF without the GIFs. Nothing's perfect, let's not get caught up in trying to make GAF represent some unachievable ideal? Or maybe I'm missing something...

Hopefully, criticizing moderator decisions isn't a ban-able offense either.

:lol

GAF is actually very lenient. As long as you're not an asshole who trolls constantly and don't post NSFW stuff, you'll be fine. I mean, you can even be a complete fuckwit, like Woodsy, and still be allowed to post here.

If you want to see some Draconian bullshit, head over to GameSpot's forums. The effort by their mods to keep that place "Safe for 13yr olds" borders on lunacy.

Forkball said:
For the love of god, don't make a joke about what console Epic Mickey is coming to.

God, that was hilarious. That thread needed bloodstains with hints attached for people wandering in after a thousand posts.

Stitch

Gold Member
hm let's see

i got banned for saying that i don't like Ubisoft but i will rent Red Steel 2

and then i got banned for writing DinoGAF?

i still don't get it.

RubxQub

Woffls said:
So the moral of the story is act like everyone else does and you'll be okay?
Hopefully you don't mean "don't act like yourself".

I'm disappointed that Internet private detectives are now banned. We've been robbed of some epic threads.

If somebody is stupid enough to post all their shit online in the public domain, then they deserve to get burned.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
RubxQub said:
In my mind there is a secret forum where the mods have threads to discuss banning philosophy and controversial bans.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm a moderator over at GS, and there are private forums there for the kind of stuff you are talking about, as well as a purgatory board where all of the SPAM and deleted threads end up. It makes for entertaining reading.:lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Still waiting for a ban on "cool story bro". It did lead to the most epic gaming thread of the year but it's still incredibly annoying. At first it was somewhat amusing when it was used appropriately within context, but now it's just another way of saying tldr, or "I dont care enough to come up with a response of value."

methane47

I have been banned for...

Dont ever suggest that bill Gates is gay... Yes I know we've all seen the picture of him posing on the desk.. But dont put that here in gaf

Suggesting that Housewives play the Wii..... However innocent the comment might be.... Dont do it.

-----------------------------------

I had NO IDEA the plane.jpg was banned :(

LosDaddie

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:
Still waiting for a ban on "cool story bro". It did lead to the most epic gaming thread of the year but it's still incredibly annoying. At first it was somewhat amusing when it was used appropriately within context, but now it's just another way of saying tldr, or "I dont care enough to come up with a response of value."

It's annoying, but not as bad as the " :lol "-only posts.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
liquid_gears said:
I'm disappointed that Internet private detectives are now banned. We've been robbed of some epic threads.

If somebody is stupid enough to post all their shit online in the public domain, then they deserve to get burned.

I think in practice, that one is on a per-case basis. The rule seems to be dropped when there is legitimate concern about the poster's credibility (e.g. suspected viral marketers). Rummaging through a user's photobucket account to find an embarrassing photo, posting his Facebook info, or dragging other websites into the discussion for no other reason than to discredit someone is behavior that is usually not acceptable.

liquid_gears said:

Until it happens to you. People make mistakes or often don't know enough to protect certain aspect of their identity, does not mean it's ok to to torment and possibly cause some kind of harm to a person in some manner. Someone left their door unlocked, they deserve to get robbed? Just because someone screwed up doesn't make it ok for the internet to shit on a person. May seem funny and harmless, but I bet you won't be laughing anymore if it happened to you.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
We need a "Suspended (until x)" instead of "Banned" for all bannings/suspensions. I need to see the perma-bans.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
idahoblue said:
I don't mind those, it is just a shorthand for 'funny post'.

Yeah i don't mind this.
But get rid of "Cool Story Bro", i'm good with that.

There is a private forum. I know this because for his birthday, Wilco or someone was made a mod and proceeded to ban people left and right. Wasabi King told him to get into the private mod board immediately, and Wilco banned him instead.

RubxQub

Cindres said:
Yeah i don't mind this.
Basically any meme that gets used over and over instead of people actually contributing to a thread bother me.

"Cool story, bro" seems to be the biggest offender lately.
ConfusingJazz said:
There is a private forum. I know this because for his birthday, Wilco or someone was made a mod and proceeded to ban people left and right. Wasabi King told him to get into the private mod board immediately, and Wilco banned him instead.
:lol What the hell?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Incognito said:
admittedly, the mods have become a lot better over time. the list of questionable mods is down to 1 or 2.

Are there more mods now that barely post? Most of the more higher-profile ones seem to be de-modded.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BattleMonkey said:
Someone left their door unlocked, they deserve to get robbed?

Actually it does according to GAF! That one thread where a gaffer's friend was attacked while asleep in his apartment by a guy on PCP trying to kill him, and he used his BJJ training to choke the guy out and escape with his life despite severe injuries turned into 100% "OMG WHY DIDN'T HE LOCK HIS DOOR HOW COULD HE BE SO STUPID I WOULD NEVER NOT LOCK MY DOOR" by page 2.

NYR

LosDaddie said:
It's annoying, but not as bad as the " :lol "-only posts.
I don't mind those, they can be in context a lot of the time.

On that concept though, I can see how it can be annoying. One of the things that gets pepople on my ignore list are the posters who post in EVERY thread and have to be within the first 10-15 responses of every thread, but they are less then 5 word responses or whatever. Their avatars are like Logos for "ignore" to me. Oh well, it honestly doesn't bother me too much, but I wish they had more to say then "oh Cool" or "yes!".

Also, I want to take the time here to remember one of the greatest posters/memes this year:

"goddam"

That guy was classic.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus' Guide for Juniors
1. Don't troll, regardless of who else is doing it. Some of them have a license to do so, some of them know how to do it appropriately, and some of them know how to make it funny. You don't have the clearance, you don't know how to do it appropriately, and you're not funny. Don't try it.

2. Gaming side is a minefield but can be fun if you know what you're doing. It's probably best for you to stick to topics that you're familiar with, games you intend on playing, or systems/games you already own. If you enter a topic outside of your familiarity, refer back to #1.

3. Memes are best avoided. Enjoy them while they last and laugh all you want, but they're all eventually banned.

4. Off-Topic is a more relaxed atmosphere but can be dangerous if you suck at posting. In a weird paradox, OT has fewer stupid posters which makes it easier for mods to patrol the area. A good rule of thumb is to post to threads you like. Basically, don't troll and don't go into topics you're not interested in.

5. Challenge Mods at your own risk. Some of them are fantastic at the back-and-forth debate while others leave zero room for discussion. The best strategy is to be respectful of all of them at all times, regardless of their current behavior. Everything they post is an opinion but should be treated like a fact that only the boldest and most confident posters with evidence should challenge. In any situation where their behavior is being questioned, they are correct and the topic should be avoided.

6. No matter the topic, if you make a blanket statement--especially criticism--back it up with evidence. You won't always get banned for not doing so, but it's always a good practice and will go a long way towards building your recognition and respect.

7. If you want a tag, join and become a regular contributor to one of the -ages. It can take a long time and usually requires some memorable contribution. Remember though, there's a hairline difference between a tag and a permaban, so be careful. Best bets for tags are Sales-Age, PC-Age, AV-Age, SportsGAF, PoliGAF. Most of the time they're given for being stupid, so it's not some mark of glory but usually a mark of shame. Some can be a source of pride, though.

8. Don't be dumb when starting a new thread. Search before you post! If it's news and happened more than 30 minutes ago, it's probably old. If it's sales-age, you or the source are probably misinterpreting the evidence. If it's girl-age, you're probably going to be embarrassed. If it's PoliGAF, you're probably going to show how little you know. If it's about your culture, religion, country, language, philosophy, or any preference, be prepared to defend your beliefs. If it's about sports, there's four sticky threads at the top of the OT that probably covers it. And whatever you do, don't start a thread with a link with a comment that says, "discuss." If you have nothing to say about the topic, don't post it.

9. Correct people's grammar/spelling at your own risk. Not only did you probably make a similar typo on the exact same page, but we have many foreign and non-native English speakers here on GAF, so you're probably just making an ass out of yourself.

10. Last piece of advice: Treat people like they're in the same room with you. If you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, it's a 50/50 chance that you're saying something offensive and bannable. Other than that, it's just a good policy for approaching internet discussion and culture.

Other things to remember:
Read the FAQs; don't ask for tags; make sure your avatar is the right size and completely work safe; never post NSFW stuff; never talk about, ask about, or refer to piracy; no console-wars bullshit; don't be a bigot (racist, sexist, classist, et al); rants are fun but dangerous and often embarassing; be nice and don't be stupid.

Note from the author:
It's taken some years and several bans to learn all of these unwritten rules, and there's probably some that still need to be added. It's possible that one could follow this and still be banned, but this should be a handy guide that will assist you in your junior journey.

-PL

LosDaddie

Banned
Cindres said:
Yeah i don't mind this.

TBH, I don't mind them either. It's really the complete lack of effort in contributing to the thread that annoys me, albeit slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom