• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheech

Darklord said:
Holy shit @ the OP. So many things will get you banned.:lol Adblocker? Really? I've seen people admit to that and be fine.

Yeah, but it's a dick thing to do.

Not only are you depriving a forum of cash, you're advertising to other people how to do it.

It costs a shit ton of money to run a forum like this.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
iapetus said:
"Don't be a dickwad. If you're a dickwad, you might get banned. Yes, I know some other people were dickwads and didn't get banned. Sucks to be you."

This is the unwritten rule that got me my only ban. That's when I learned you don't make an off-the-cuff remark about a person being better off aborted than asking a presidential candidate a silly question.

I also deserved it.

levious said:
so permabans aren't actually permanent?
No, permabans are permanent... people are referencing when they get permanently made a "Junior Member" - perma juniored.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ooh, ooh , I know one. If you write about footballthread.com in the football thread it's quite likely you'll get banned. Go figure

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
El_TigroX said:
No, permabans are permanent... people are referencing when they get permanently made a "Junior Member" - perma juniored.

referring to Cheech's claim

Tobor

RubxQub said:
PC Gamers seem to get some kind of bye that bothers me.

I got banned for calling out some guy for gloating about some superior PC nonsense, and essentially eluded to the fact that tons of people pirate on the PC and got banned. :lol

I really need to stay away from the gaming side when it comes to console war nonsense and just stick to discussing the games themselves.

...I usually get banned maybe 2-3 times a year for something borderline...it just happens. I usually always send an e-mail to the mod that I think banned me with a "plead my case" and every now and then I get a response back.
The Nazi phrase they've appropriated for themselves honnestly bothers me, but what can you do? /shrugs

Also, I found out the hard way that even making a joke about a thread being closed with a movie quote can get you banned.

Kimosabae said:
If the consciousness of the community shifts towards intolerance regarding a hackneyed meme, the consequential outrage would be effective enough in eventually stamping out its use. I don't see any need for arbitration by moderators there. There's no mod rules against signing posts, because the moral outrage it engenders is abrasive enough to deter most people from doing it.

The subordinate community should be allowed to evolve more organically. When you have a small group of individuals deciding how people's subjective experiences should evolve on a forum - something's wrong. Power has become too centralized.

This forum is heavily moderated and it still has derails, overused memes and embarrassing flame wars all over the place. It would be completely unreadable without capricious, iron-fisted mods.

It's not about "freedom of expression", which is not a right on a message board. NeoGAF has fifty kabillion members and three hundred kabillion posts, clearly the restrictions aren't significantly hurting discussion or forum traffic.

My rule of thumb: Stay away from the gaming side. You're not as likely to get away with things there, as they need to cull the herd more on gaming.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:

I got banned for calling out some guy for gloating about some superior PC nonsense, and essentially eluded to the fact that tons of people pirate on the PC and got banned. :lol

That's where you went wrong.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
fanboi said:
true?

in the op it goes!

EDIT: ^ :lol

Fraud clicking them is definitely a no-no, however. Should be common sense, but a few people were silly enough to say they were doing it in the PoliGAF threads last year.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
levious said:
referring to Cheech's claim

Ah, my bad. Saw one of his posts, but not the others... yeah... no idea...

itxaka

Defeatist
Oh you might also get banned if your post start gaining agression and a mod sees them.

My only ban was with a guy on the gaming side after he insulted some developer and I told him to stop being a smartass, he got back to me and it started growing. Thankfully duckroll was there and banned both of us for 24 hours before we started plain insulting each other :D

Edit: Oh yeah, don't post sexual pictures with animals. It will get you banned and it's horrible and disgusting. ugh.

Edit2: missed in last page:

Actually IIRC kosma got banned for acusing a guy of pirating the pc versión of AC and the guy did have a review version. He even tried to lure him to say that he had the game and then accused him. Incredible.

Tetra-9

Idk how but my GAF track record for law mishaps is waaay better than my real life record... well done GAF I am your humble little ant.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shintoki said:
Since I started reading Gaf, These are some of the common things I've noticed about bannings.

1. If you're unsure, Avoid topics dealing with Racism, Homosexual relationships, Politics, Women, and Canada. They can turn quickly into whack'a'mole for a mod.
2. If you're past 3 posts arguing the same point, best to drop it.
3. Stay away from memes, and stuff that will become memes...better yet, if it sounds like a meme. Avoid it.
4. Just because someone else trolls and doesn't get in trouble, sure as hell does not give you the okay either. Mods may have missed that one, but they may notice yours.
5. System wars, Stay out of it. But if you must get into it. PC gaming, Handhelds, Home Consoles in that order. This also applies to the 3 posts, State your opinion. Don't spam it 3 times every page. Stay away from port begging and whining. Some times nothing will happen, other times(Like the Epic Mickey thread). A mod is going to earn a new High score.
6. This is not democracy, It's an empire. They run and pay for the server. You post on it for free
7. You're supposed to be at least 13 years if I recall. Act like it. When you start to say "but but but" or resort to name calling. It's not going to bold well. I guess, Treat others how you expect to be treated. Ignore is an easy way to avoid terrible posters if you get the urge to post after reading their stuff.
8. The most important one, and probably will avoid you 99% of possible trouble...READ BEFORE YOU POST or Don't post it at all. Ignorance is not an excuse. Saying I didn't know isn't going to get you out of trouble. Exact opposite, Normally it's going get you into more. This also helps with getting to know which posters are good ones, which are more likely to get you ban, what threads are looking for a clean up, and all that jazz.

When I see someone ban, I figure it's for one of the above. I can't say I agree with every single one either, but it covers the basics to keep people in check. I do miss quite a few people who are currently gone.

Posted in the last one of these a few months ago. It's everything I noticed over the past 4 years reading gaf.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
D4Danger said:
That's where you went wrong.
Oh I know...but it's true.

It's probably because I said it in a way that basically implied that the person making the statement probably pirated games themself (which he probably did) that bothered the mod.

/shrug

Lesson learned I guess (this was my only ban that I actually felt totally bothered by, but what can ya do).

Coverly

I thought saying the phrase "so basically, game X is better than game Y" because of a review score was ban worthy but I guess not, it's all over that famitsu thread where ff13 got a 39.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
neveeerrrrrr!

Harassing juniors is a cherished GAF tradition. :(

Yeah but some people don't know when to stop.

Those that do it as a joke, I would say that's fine and it goes on unchallenged all the time but it does get annoying when it just appears in a random thread as a way to belittle people.

It's properly a rule that falls under the "don't be a dickwad" umbrella more than anything specific.

Cyan

Banned
Wellington said:
I thought it was pretty funny that Madden-GAF would advise certain people what topics to stay out of so we could have everyone around to schedule games. :lol (Woman driver topic being the most recent one I think)
This is very smart. Should've maybe done that in the NaNo thread, we lost a few people there during the month. :/

Also, we still pour out a 40 hoist a glass once in a while for threeballz, over in the college football thread. I think he got perma'ed for posting in a NPD thread or some such. Which shows that the best rule of thumb to not get banned is this: never post on the gaming side.

Whoompthereitis said:
Thing I find the most annoying on GAF is the excessive use of puns in response to news stories in the Off-Topic section.

I guess a lot of people might find this funny, but I find myself reading the first two or three and then having to practically skip to the second page of replies before anyone actually says anything interesting.

Am I the only one here who finds this annoying? I have to imagine that if it continues to be such an epidemic, eventually it'll end up on the ban list.
Blame Dookkake. He started doing it, got some laughs because he's a fairly clever dude, and so others followed in his wake.

And yes, it does get annoying.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Coverly said:
I thought saying the phrase "so basically, game X is better than game Y" because of a review score was ban worthy but I guess not, it's all over that famitsu thread where ff13 got a 39.

saying it in a serious way is probably what will get you banned, and saying it in reference to review scores other than Famitsu is probably another key point.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be massively surprised if all mods go without an ad blocker on the internet.

I've exempted neogaf from my blocker as it's wished by the mods, that's fine the ads aren't too spammy here, but I think it's unrealistic for people to think that adblockers aren't extremely commonplace and just straightup sensible browsing at this point with all the viruses and trojans that try and sneak in via ads.

-Only troll Nintendo threads when Amir0x provides cover

-Dragona's iphone notifies her whenever any dumb comments about women are posted. Be warned

-Only troll Gran Turismo/GTA threads when an NHL game is on tv...

Follow those rules and you should be ok

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I got banned once a couple years ago for calling something gay. I don't really agree with the rule but it's the rule so I learned my lesson.

In general I think it's true that GAF can be inconsistent sometimes, but if you aren't an asshole you should avoid being banned. Sometimes somebody gets fucked over and that sucks, but it's rare enough.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Most of the time yeah, the bans are reasonable and the person was just being a dickwad or generally stupid. Only problem is it can be inconsistent when you see someone get away with the same thing.
EDIT: But yeah it's probably just because a mod didn't see it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
PhoenixDark said:
-Dragona's iphone notifies her whenever any dumb comments about women are posted. Be warned
Being fair, I think it's the two dozen or so people who quote that one comment and say, OMG Dragona is going to get you. Which keeps bumping the thread till she finally sees it :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cindres said:
Most of the time yeah, the bans are reasonable and the person was just being a dickwad or generally stupid. Only problem is it can be inconsistent when you see someone get away with the same thing.
EDIT: But yeah it's probably just because a mod didn't see it.
Yeah thats the deal with a big forum like GAF. Its almost impossible for the mods to check every thread and every post.

feel

Darklord said:
Holy shit @ the OP. So many things will get you banned.:lol Adblocker? Really? I've seen people admit to that and be fine.
It is bannable if you admit you block the ads on gaf, not other sites. Fair I think, since that ad revenue money is needed to keep the site going. Ok, maybe the mods don't care and let it slip, but the admins and especially Evilore do care, and I've seen them hand bans for it on more than one occasion. I was just giving an heads up, you guys can go ahead and remove that from the OP if you want.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DeathNote said:
watch out

it's a simpsons reference, guys. c'mon.

Marge: No, it's not the truth, Homer. It's well-documented that women are safer drivers than men.

Homer: Oh, Marge, cartoons don't have any deep meaning. They're just stupid drawings that give you a cheap laugh.

19.jpg

RubxQub

dogmaan said:
how does a mod get banned?

I have only seen mods get "demodded"
In my mind there is a secret forum where the mods have threads to discuss banning philosophy and controversial bans.

fanboi

Banned
See if I can find the time to add all to the op.

And yes, dont be a dick etc etc is a good rule, but this is about those small things that get you banned ;)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I love that outdated banned words/memes that will get you banned thread because it's basically all "don't ask 'where's the beef?'"

Just because a mod gets elevated doesn't mean they suddenly turn into angels. Mods can be dicks too, seen it often enough on other forums and GAF is no different. It can happen and either has or will.

MMaRsu

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

So true :lol

Cyan

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

-Never troll wrestling threads.

RubxQub

Megadrive said:
Just because a mod gets elevated doesn't mean they suddenly turn into angels. Mods can be dicks too, seen it often enough on other forums and GAF is no different. It can happen and either has or will.
I actually give our mod team a ton of credit.

They all come across very well in their general postings, and it's only very specific hot-button issues that really set people off...but even in those areas I feel they are pretty justified in their positions, and I've never seen one of them push their mod status in the conversation as a threat.

...but you do notice that if a mod says something in a thread, it'll get quoted a bunch and people will say "You summed it up perfectly" or "Great post" or something like that to brown nose :lol

Dabanton

RubxQub said:

I really need to stay away from the gaming side when it comes to console war nonsense and just stick to discussing the games themselves.

...I usually get banned maybe 2-3 times a year for something borderline...it just happens. I usually always send an e-mail to the mod that I think banned me with a "plead my case" and every now and then I get a response back.

You just got to know when to pick your battles with them,although it's died down now any Alan Wake thread used to be immediately derailed by a PC goon moaning about MS decision to 'cancel' the PC version.

Which does nothing for the actual discussion in the thread. And when you challenge these guys and tell them there are other threads discussing the PC version, they say their whole MO is to shit in the thread.

How is that fair?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It's ok to be an asshole. Just not a stupid asshole. Remember that and you'll be ok.

RubxQub said:
I actually give our mod team a ton of credit.

They all come across very well in their general postings, and it's only very specific hot-button issues that really set people off...but even in those areas I feel they are pretty justified in their positions, and I've never seen one of them push their mod status in the conversation as a threat.

...but you do notice that if a mod says something in a thread, it'll get quoted a bunch and people will say "You summed it up perfectly" or "Great post" or something like that to brown nose :lol

I'm not saying any of them are terrible, but the ones who come to mind (amir0x, EviLore, Dragona and Red Scarlet) are pretty cool from when I see them post. There's been no suspect bannings and to be honest, I rarely notice anyone's banned. I typically respond to posts, no matter who says them unless it's really ridiculous. Then I take notice.

RubxQub

Dabanton said:
You just got to know when to pick your battles with them,although it's died down now any Alan Wake thread used to be immediately derailed by a PC goon moaning about MS decision to 'cancel' the PC version.

Which does nothing for the actual discussion in the thread. And when you challenge these guys and tell them there are other threads discussing the PC version, they say their whole MO is to shit in the thread.

How is that fair?
I remember seeing Evilore's Dragon-Age OP and just walking the fuck away :lol

I have no intention of ever playing that game, but I can't see how any of us would have gotten away with posting something like that. I chalked it up to Evilore just having some fun with the overly sensitive gaming folks (which is almost definitely the case).

RubxQub said:
In my mind there is a secret forum where the mods have threads to discuss banning philosophy and controversial bans.

I bet you that forum has signatures, post counts and an emoticon for every emotion. Plus Dinosaurs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
RubxQub said:
I remember seeing Evilore's Dragon-Age OP and just walking the fuck away :lol

I have no intention of ever playing that game, but I can't see how any of us would have gotten away with posting something like that. I chalked it up to Evilore just having some fun with the overly sensitive gaming folks (which is almost definitely the case).

The questions are in the voice of the typical gaffer and the answers are in the voice of the pompous asshole noble from the gifs taking on the role of an elitist PC gamer. The noble gets hit over the head and knocked out at the end of the post after going overboard.

It's satire. I just have the luxury of not wanting or needing to explain these things too obviously for those who don't get it and take offense.

RubxQub

EviLore said:
The questions are in the voice of the typical gaffer and the answers are in the voice of the pompous asshole noble from the gifs taking on the role of an elitist PC gamer. The noble gets hit over the head and knocked out at the end of the post after going overboard.

It's satire. I just have the luxury of not wanting or needing to explain these things too obviously for those who don't get it and take offense.
Figured as much.

...holy fuck was I scared when I saw you replied in here :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom