• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GoutPatrol said:
Are there more mods now that barely post? Most of the more higher-profile ones seem to be de-modded.
Duckroll and Teknopathetic post a lot on the gaming side.

numble

Whoompthereitis said:
Thing I find the most annoying on GAF is the excessive use of puns in response to news stories in the Off-Topic section.

I guess a lot of people might find this funny, but I find myself reading the first two or three and then having to practically skip to the second page of replies before anyone actually says anything interesting.

Am I the only one here who finds this annoying? I have to imagine that if it continues to be such an epidemic, eventually it'll end up on the ban list.

Oh, and the obiligatory 'In before' is kind of tired as well, IMHO.
I find it annoying, people use the same puns over and over, the first page becomes puns and "LOL at your pun" posts, and so its pointless to try to get a conversation going. I think its led to most stories not being actually commented on unless it has to do with certain subjects--politics, entertainment, technology, and BIG news,

ConfusingJazz said:
What else are you supposed to do in half of News Age? Do you really want to discuss the intricacies of a kid blowing their head open because they chewed a piece of gum coated with a low grade explosive, or make jokes about how his jaw dropped to the floor?
I feel like there was a time when Gaborn posted news threads and people would comment and talk about the stories, now a lot of stories don't get discussed outside of the puns.

numble said:
I find it annoying, people use the same puns over and over, the first page becomes puns and "LOL at your pun" posts, and so its pointless to try to get a conversation going. I think its led to most stories not being actually commented on unless it has to do with certain subjects--politics, entertainment, technology, and BIG news,

I feel like there was a time when Gaborn posted news threads and people would comment and talk about the stories, now a lot of stories don't get discussed outside of the puns.

Your memories betray you. Most Gaborn threads were less then 50 posts before Count Dookkake.

EDIT: Just did a search, they still are less then a page, even with pun gaf.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PC gamers are able to troll/request ports. Other platforms are off limits.

Avoid the sales-age threads.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I think one of the most important points not really touched on is, read the thread before you post. I'd say 80% of people don't do this and the bannings prove it. When you actually read the threads you post in, you can get a feel for what is kosher and what is not. I suppose I'm preaching to the choir, since most people won't read this!

Tarazet

Shit, I didn't get to use my pic. :lol

331ku95.jpg

Baker

Banned
numble said:
Gaborn threads always pissed me off for some reason. All he did was copy and paste five articles from Fark every day and maybe rewrite the headline if he felt like it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
numble said:

I'm sorry but what insight exactly are you looking to provide or receive in a "man fucks his own lawnmower" thread?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A good gaffer : M3wthr33 (Or something like that) was perma banned twice:
1º: He made a joke about Mexicans, then the admins removed the ban
2º: He said something about a GAF Chat or something... BAM! Perma banned.
(I dont know whats the deal with GAF Chat)
Any chance to get that guy back mods?

NYR said:
Wow. So awesome. I love GAF sometimes.
Sometimes? My life would be a living hell without GAF.

Leunam

Baker said:
Gaborn threads always pissed me off for some reason. All he did was copy and paste five articles from Fark every day and maybe rewrite the headline if he felt like it.

I used to do the same thing on another forum until I decided I didn't want to be lame anymore. This also reminds me of the time EviLore told Gaborn not to post so many threads.

I think it would be useful to have a list of currently banned members and reasons behind the ban, like SomethingAwful. Granted, they usually list their reasons in the form of bible verse or "bad poster, go away" but here it could serve as a warning to others.

Borgnine said:
I'm sorry but what insight exactly are you looking to provide or receive in a "man fucks his own lawnmower" thread?

Yeah, people forget, that before the puns, the responses they usually got were just this: :lol

At least puns try to get something out of them.

idahoblue said:
I don't mind those, it is just a shorthand for 'funny post'.
Yeah, but why do people need to notify the board of what they think is funny? It just takes up space in the thread. Plus there are some posters that use :lol as a counter-argument and it only serves to break down a debate or discussion. They're obnoxious.

numble

ConfusingJazz said:
EDIT: Just did a search, they still are less then a page, even with pun gaf.
Yeah, but the short number of posts about the news has been replaced by a short number of posts of puns and LOL@puns.

I don't mind the odd pun but its pretty annoying when they use the same ones. If it has to do with someone's ass, a dead body, or something that's happened in China, you can predict the puns before you even see them.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PantherLotus said:
Somebody quote my guide from the last page please.
I somehow knew when I saw you post again it was going to be about how no-one recognized your guide :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's actually quite difficult to draw a ban in Off-Topic on purpose. You only really "stumble" into them on accident in gaming because it's very strictly on topic and they don't tolerate obvious trolls nearly as much as OT.

numble said:
Yeah, but the short number of posts about the news has been replaced by a short number of posts of puns and LOL@puns.

I don't mind the odd pun but its pretty annoying when they use the same ones. If it has to do with someone's ass, a dead body, or something that's happened in China, you can predict the puns before you even see them.

Yeah, but when someone rips off a Real Genius reference out of no where, I'm more then happy to allow for 2 or 3 pages of terrible puns.

Az

When someone gets banned it would be nice to see the reason in their profile or something.

Don't request nude pix to be sent over PM. I did 3 months hard labor for that.

shinshero

iapetus said:
If you're putting everything people get banned for in the OP, it could get quite large. :D

I'd sum up most of the rules something like this:

"Don't be a dickwad. If you're a dickwad, you might get banned. Yes, I know some other people were dickwads and didn't get banned. Sucks to be you."

This really isn't the case. About a week ago I got banned for a week because I asked Firestorm why he would prefer multi-disk over a single disk for Final Fantasy XIII. I got banned for being off-topic, even though for the last two pages people were talking about how the Xbox 360 would have 720P movies etc.. etc...

The moral of the story: How the hell was I supposed to know that was off topic if the past two pages (100 Post Per Page) people were discussing said issue? Hell...I doubt it can even be considered off-topic at that point.

Fersis said:
Dude, edit your comment before Dragona see it!
EDIT: Beaten :(

Just want to add that Evilore is not a banhammer kind of guy, its a cool cat.

EviLore is untouchable seeing as he owns the site.

Dead Man

Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, but why do people need to notify the board of what they think is funny? It just takes up space in the thread. Plus there are some posters that use :lol as a counter-argument and it only serves to break down a debate or discussion. They're obnoxious.
Shit, sometimes you just want to let someone know they were funny. And I don't really recall there being massive space shortages in threads. If someone is using obnoxiously then that can be irritating, but that is no reason for genuine mirth to be frowned upon.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, but why do people need to notify the board of what they think is funny? It just takes up space in the thread.

Are you serious with this? They're notifying the person who said something funny that they said something funny. I'm guessing you've never said anything funny? Funny people live for laughing blue guy responses.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Borgnine said:

Exactly... they're posted because they are dumb. Often the stories turn into bad pun-threads... but sometimes they are actually funny, or morph into great photoshop threads.

I'll take the good with the bad.

Rorschach

Posting seizure inducing gifs. If the right mod sees them and you give him a migraine. :p

Am I allowed to hate drivers who put on makeup while driving? After that T-Dawg thread, it can be either gender!!

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Fersis said:
A good gaffer : M3wthr33 (Or something like that) was perma banned twice:
1º: He made a joke about Mexicans, then the admins removed the ban
2º: He said something about a GAF Chat or something... BAM! Perma banned.
(I dont know whats the deal with GAF Chat)
Any chance to get that guy back mods?

Sometimes? My life would be a living hell without GAF.

I thought m3wthr was banned once and for all for admitting to pirating something.

Rorschach

I think m3wthr33 was banned for being a dick and a drama queen. And then proceeded to burn that bridge, so I doubt he's coming back.

Fersis

GoutPatrol said:
I thought m3wthr was banned once and for all for admitting to pirating something.
Really? Didnt know that.

Rorschach said:
I think m3wthr33 was banned for being a dick and a drama queen. And then proceeded to burn that bridge, so I doubt he's coming back.
:lol

shinshero said:
EviLore is untouchable seeing as he owns the site.
Yeah, but he isnt banning people left and right. (Left and right is a common spanish phrase: A diestra y siniestra, dont know if it is used on the US/UK)

Probably the biggest advice is to actually read the thread you're posting in. I've never posted in a thread without reading at least the last 150-200 posts (if there are that many) as well as the first page. So many times people will ask something that's already been answered multiple times in the thread, or do something that got people banned.

The best example of this would be the epic mickey thread of awesome. There was a first wave of bannings over the console port questions and then people continued to ask for it and get banned when they could've just read the last 2 pages and seen what was going on.

It also generally makes you look like less of an idiot if you know what's going on in the thread.

No jokes about dead celebrities or relatives of dead celebrities.

GAF generally finds puns about deaths amusing, but if there is a hive mind of faux outrage against the joke, you're fucked.

Skittleguy came up with an epic pun when John Travolts's son died and he got banned for a while.

Also, just don't visit the Gaming forum. Ever.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Fersis said:
Really? Didnt know that.

:lol

Yeah, but he isnt banning people at left and right. (At left and right is a common spanish phrase: A diestra y siniestra, dont know if it is used on the US/UK)

Drop the a/at.

zon

RubxQub said:
...but you do notice that if a mod says something in a thread, it'll get quoted a bunch and people will say "You summed it up perfectly" or "Great post" or something like that to brown nose :lol

I agree, that can get tiresome.

RubxQub

Fersis said:
Yeah, but he isnt banning people at left and right. (At left and right is a common spanish phrase: A diestra y siniestra, dont know if it is used on the US/UK)
US: We just say "left and right", not "at left and right".

JDSN

Banned
I got banned for posting the first option when you search in youtube "Women know your place", its a funny video full of sarcasm, but aparently was enough to get a one month ban and the mod also accused me of being racist. :lol

Its pretty obvious who banned me after watching such overreaction.

Oh right, I made a permaban bet and I lost it, I bumped the thread and notified the winner, Evilore was awesome enough to only give me a two month ban. :D

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus' Guide for Juniors
1. Don't troll, regardless of who else is doing it. Some of them have a license to do so, some of them know how to do it appropriately, and some of them know how to make it funny. You don't have the clearance, you don't know how to do it appropriately, and you're not funny. Don't try it.

-PL[/I]

Did't know it was only people with 20,000 posts on neogaf could be funny , the hate Jr's get around here is unacceptable

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fersis said:

Yes, that is a common international English expression (though you don't have to use "at" in the sentence).

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I would love a ban on the: "I for one welcome our <noun> overlords" phrase.

It was a cute line from the Simpsons but it is way old and way overused. There are a few other phrases like this that bother me, but that one is by far the worst.

LosDaddie

Banned
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus' Guide for Juniors

7. If you want a tag, join and become a regular contributor to one of the -ages. It can take a long time and usually requires some memorable contribution. Remember though, there's a hairline difference between a tag and a permaban, so be careful. Best bets for tags are Sales-Age, PC-Age, AV-Age, SportsGAF, PoliGAF. Most of the time they're given for being stupid, so it's not some mark of glory but usually a mark of shame. Some can be a source of pride, though.

Not only that, but you'll also find that people will quote your shameful tag when they don't agree with you.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Avoid making jokes that could be interpreted as being in bad taste, even if you feel it's an obvious cinematic reference.

Who doesn't know Austin Powers quotes, honestly.

RubxQub

Tobor said:
For me it's the other way around. I see a mod have the exact opposite opinion of mine, and I have no idea if it's safe to continue the discussion. I've had a mod threaten to ban me if I didn't drop a discussion before, so now I feel like I have to tiptoe and see if it's ok to continue. Sometimes I wuss out and just preemptively drop it.
I actually got into a very heated debate with Red Scarlet (and others) about the use of headsets in gaming. I got pretty dickish (because in my mind the point was inarguable), and probably hurt the report I'd built with her up to that point.

Amri0x agreed with me with a long post, but generally it was left there because neither side would budge.

Sucked, because I'd had nothing but good interactions with Red Scarlet beforehand.
Kentpaul said:
Did't know it was only people with 20,000 posts on neogaf could be funny , the hate Jr's get around here is unacceptable
The point is that as a Junior, you should tippy toe with your commentary. Comments made by juniors get scrutinized by everyone, and if it comes across as demeaning, dickish or trolling, your tenure here will be extremely short.

It doesn't mean you can't "troll", but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't very very comfortable with where the boundaries are.

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't know if you really need written down rules for stuff. It just seems like use some common sense and you won't get a ban. The worst I've ever gotten was Bish pointing out something stupid I've said, which was fair because I said what I said in a really dumb manner.

Just don't be stupid. And if you're going to be stupid, at least present your stupidity in a valid manner where someone might be able to say "I can see how someone might come to that conclusion."

MMaRsu

Banned
I know that Bish banned my ass for saying something like "wanna bet that GTA VC Stories comes to PS2 this time?" after R* said that this would remain an exclusive for the PSP.

He basically banned me with the message to troll R* somewhere else. :lol

Ofcourse later GTAVC Stories came out for Ps2. Lol.

Procarbine said:
Avoid making jokes that could be interpreted as being in bad taste, even if you feel it's an obvious cinematic reference.

Who doesn't know Austin Powers quotes, honestly.

I used and altered "That's a man, baby?" to great effect in a thread about an ugly criminal named Bibi something or rather.

Should I be worried?

EDIT- And to the folks complaining about unoriginal puns: Yes, there are stand-bys that get used, but they are classics. However, let's not pretend that there are no original ones. I am most proud of my recent work in the exploding gum thread. Seriously, how did I come up with that one?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381843&highlight=exploding

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Count Dookkake said:
I used and altered "That's a man, baby?" to great effect in a thread about an ugly criminal named Bibi something or rather.

Should I be worried?

Probably not, I pushed it with an "other, other white meat" joke in a news thread about a child abuse case.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kentpaul said:

Quit whining. All Members had to go through the Junior-phase, hazing & all. It's part of being a GAFer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom