• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands not singing in English that more people should know

Status
Not open for further replies.

megateto

Well, many of you are not from where most bands manage to get some kind of "worldwide" recognition (UK & USA). I'm sure that in your country there is that special band, it might be even HUGE there, but nobody outside from there seems to have heard about them.

Well, tell us about them.

Here is mine:

Los Planetas (Spain) (just a part of their discography):

Pop
33007.jpg

Unidad de desplazamiento
33011.jpg

Encuentros con entidades
33012.jpg

Great band, they began when "noise pop" was trendy, but they became much more than just that. I've read comments in which they are compared with Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips or The Jesus And Mary Chain, or Joy Division.
Don't know, but they are really special.

If you have some spare time, give them a chance.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
TTC (Experimental/Underground french rap)
covr_PasUnDisque.jpg

Remember hip hop in New York back in 1995? Puffy was at the height of his commercial dominance, mainstream rap had never seen so lacking in fresh ideas and there seemed no alternative. Then, within a year, Mos Def, Company Flow, the Arsonists, J-Live and many more exploded onto the scene, the New York Underground was born and attitudes were changed forever.

Fast forward to Paris in 2002. The situation might look familiar. Despite its commercial successes, French hip hop seems short on ideas and creativity, is dominated by two camps and apparently has nowhere left to go. Live shows have been stymied by the threat and fear of violence. Of vision, humour or integrity there seems very little sign. What better time, then, for the small Paris Underground to stand up and be counted? Artists like La Caution, James Delleck and, yes, TTC. While too many minds restrict themselves to rapping about how they "cut you like a knife", institutionalised censure or the effects of globalisation, Tido Berman, Teki Latex and Cuizinier have chosen the path of originality. Or, more precisely, they have not had to choose. The three MCs of TTC don?t try to be original, they simple aspire to be honest. Or kind of honest, anyway.
"Tido has a funny haircut and likes spending his days re-inventing the French syntax, Cuizinier is all thugged out," explains the rubber-faced Teki, "and I'm that old funny dude obsessed with lesbianism!"

http://www.bigdada.com/release.php?id=582

Leon

Not a band, but Francis Cabrel singlehandedly destroys most of everything that's coming out these days.

tt_deeb

TM Network is one Japanese pop band I've really been digging lately.

Oh, and Little By Little who just came out wiht another single today. She's a little too quirky for most as far as the voice is concerned though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom