• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Spiritual successor revealed on this month's EDGE

I honestly don't understand this mindset at all. I'm reading the same thing on their forums now too - that Wii U would just feel right. What does that even mean? Who cares what platform you're playing on just so long as you're playing it. Does the game become more fun because you see Nintendo logos before booting the game?

It should be on as many platforms as possible for the most exposure.

I don't know how a spiritual successor to me would feel but BK and BT never felt right to me on the XBLA.

Anth0ny

Wait what?

During the Q&A they mentioned a kickstarter tier for people who wanted to voice act a character. All you have to do is "mumble your way through". I'm fairly sure that means the return of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie "voice acting", unless they want to risk bringing in some Resident Evil-esque voice actors.

Neiteio

This all looks fantastic. The worlds, the art direction, the fact it's a character-driven 3D platformer collect-a-thon. So good.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread, but it seems that a late 2016 release is the absolute earliest this game could release, while something like 2017 (perhaps even late 2017/early 2018) seems more likely. Personally, that's when I expect a new Nintendo home console to be released. Anyone else hoping that this gets moved to Wii U's successor or gets a new gen port? I hope Nintendo is working closely with them... I worry a Kickstarter will obligate them to specific platforms that are less relevant by the time this releases. My vote for platforms goes to PC/newNintendo/PS4/X1/WiiU.

Javier

I would rather not need to buy toys to get content either way. I just question how much overlap there is between older gamers who just want an old school 3D platformer because of the way they played, not necessarily because they fell in love with a universe of fairly generic furry cartoon characters, and building a universe based on said characters that spans multiple games and (potentially) toys and merch. I hope those two things don't get in each other's way is all. Still really excited for their first game though don't get me wrong.
Everything amiibo related will be exclusive to the Wii U version (and/or 3DS if that's viable), so if you go with Steam or PS4 or XB1 you don't have to worry about buying anything extra anyway.

Sponge

Banned
Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread, but it seems that a late 2016 release is the absolute earliest this game could release, while something like 2017 (perhaps even late 2017/early 2018) seems more likely. Personally, that's when I expect a new Nintendo home console to be released. Anyone else hoping that this gets moved to Wii U's successor or gets a new gen port? I hope Nintendo is working closely with them... I worry a Kickstarter will obligate them to specific platforms that are less relevant by the time this releases. My vote for platforms goes to PC/newNintendo/PS4/X1/WiiU.

Despite Playtonic needing to put this game on everything they can, I'm sure Nintendo is keeping an eye them. Some of Ninty's employees are following Playtonic on Twitter at the very least.

Xieldos

Absolutely can't wait for this, must've played through the original Banjo Kazooie upwards of ten times since it was released. Never backed a kickstarter before either but for me this is worth them getting the early money.

I don't know how a spiritual successor to me would feel but BK and BT never felt right to me on the XBLA.

I could see something like that assuming you played enough on the N64 that switching over to the 360 and using a different controller would feel off (I've had some similar experiences with the VC). But this? Doesn't make sense to me.

Kacho

This looks incredible. With the talent involved this game will no doubt deliver. Definitely going to kickstart this project.

I hope they don't allow too much fan input. I don't want the game to be filled with not-so-talented people because they paid $10,000.

Hopefully they put only the best for the game in. And I would prefer if they kept the people involved with the game itself to as many Rare vets as possible, but I would not say no to someone uber talented not from Rare joining it, and they do have the most important spots filled by vets; Art, Director, and Music, with the other key spots also seemingly filled by vets.

I just hope they know what they're doing with the KS. I am glad it's being made with or without it, hence they meant it when they said they had the funding already,

Platy

Loved the Shared World idea .... kinda like they did with Diddy Kong Racing ... introducing characters that would receive their own games later

Speaking of, it'd be awesome if Seavor would consider maybe having Rusty Pup pop in at some point and vice versa for cross promotion. Wonder if he'd be up for that.

Crayolan

So this will be a kickstarter? This is weird for me, but honestly I'm not sold on it yet. I don't like the design of the concept art, it's too blocky for me. Maybe it'd look softer if it was cell shaded.

I really want this to be good, but I don't think I'll back this unless they can show some gameplay prior to the KS. They revealed this a little too early IMO.

blacksark

I hope they don't allow too much fan input. I don't want the game to be filled with not-so-talented people because they paid $10,000.

Hopefully they put only the best for the game in. And I would prefer if they kept the people involved with the game itself to as many Rare vets as possible, but I would not say no to someone uber talented not from Rare joining it, and they do have the most important spots filled by vets; Art, Director, and Music, with the other key spots also seemingly filled by vets.

I just hope they know what they're doing with the KS. I am glad it's being made with or without it, hence they meant it when they said they had the funding already,

If they put both real voices and grunts and you can select which one you prefer it won't be a problem for me.

pixelation

I hope they're brave enough to skip the consoles where it won't be a big hit, For instance, I really don't see it getting that "THEY'RE BACK!" reception on PlayStation.. Go Wii U exclusive and push the system to its limits, like Rare used to with N64. That's part of the old Rare magic for me, and a spiritual continuation of that collaboration where the Nintendo version isn't the version, just feels wrong. Xbox and PlayStation gamers are too likely to ignore it in favour of Destiny 2 or whatever else is hot then. If this is as good as they obviously want it to be, then it deseves full attention, and that will only happen as a Nintendo exclusive game. They're welcome to prove me wrong, but I feel the potiential lack of appeal on PS4/XBO might hurt the overall reception and maybe even change how Playtonic continue with future projects.

Do you know anyone excited about this, that isn't also a Nintendo fan?

???

That is a dumb post... i take it you know each and every single person that owns a PS4/XBO and you also checked their physical/digital libraries and found out that not one of them is interested in platformers, also... none of them own more than one system and if they do they certainly wouldn't get the game on the more capable system...

And forget about profits, just release the game on the console with the smallest installed base because... nostalgia or something... why bother potentially expanding your reach to other consoles with a bigger audience and potentially get more revenue...

zroid

Banned
I like the look of this, so consider me intrigued, but I'm not quite on the hype train yet. Kickstarter always burns you.

Snakeyes

I honestly don't understand this mindset at all. I'm reading the same thing on their forums now too - that Wii U would just feel right. What does that even mean? Who cares what platform you're playing on just so long as you're playing it. Does the game become more fun because you see Nintendo logos before booting the game?

It should be on as many platforms as possible for the most exposure.

Agreed, and this is coming from a pretty big Nintendo fan. It rubs me the wrong way when some of the more vocal Sony fans try to pull this argument ("Final Fantasy/Metal Gear/Persona only feel right if they're exclusive to PlayStation!"), and it's equally nonsensical and annoying the other way around.

I'm incredibly surprised by how the hell someone did this and be so accurate only seeing the eyes image: http://blue-paint-sea.deviantart.com/art/Just-a-Little-Something-for-PlaytonicGames-513328199

Right?????
pCGsu8r.png

wnYe4Ra.png

That's several weeks old, look at the comments. I also remember the guy who made that posting it a while back on this thread.

? He knows it's old. He's just saying he's surprised how accurate it ended up being to official character based on the glimpse we've seen of him/her today.

I hope they're brave enough to skip the consoles where it won't be a big hit, For instance, I really don't see it getting that "THEY'RE BACK!" reception on PlayStation.. Go Wii U exclusive and push the system to its limits, like Rare used to with N64. That's part of the old Rare magic for me, and a spiritual continuation of that collaboration where the Nintendo version isn't the version, just feels wrong. Xbox and PlayStation gamers are too likely to ignore it in favour of Destiny 2 or whatever else is hot then. If this is as good as they obviously want it to be, then it deseves full attention, and that will only happen as a Nintendo exclusive game. They're welcome to prove me wrong, but I feel the potiential lack of appeal on PS4/XBO might hurt the overall reception and maybe even change how Playtonic continue with future projects.

It's already coming to PC, so Wii U is the only other essential platform really.

This is fanboy nonsense.

thefro

I'll be shocked if it's out before late 2017 given the stage they seem to be at in the project.

Shovel Knight was a well-managed Kickstarter of a 2D game that had a demo already and that took 15 months to get the base game out the door.

So yeah, they probably ought to keep in mind that Nintendo might have a new console coming out and surely will have a handheld capable of running Unity games by that point.

It's already coming to PC, so Wii U is the only other essential platform really.

Oh boy, these two posts. Nauseating fanoby drivel. You would think that you would want this to be exposed on as many platforms as it can to bring life back in to the 3D platformer genre.

"But but, my childhood!" People who care more about corporations and branding logos over games will never make sense to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Absolutely. It's the epitome of fanboy nonsense. You don't get any more pure, unadulterated fanboy crap as this.

I hope they dont release the game at all! Just develop it! But no one deserves it!!!
Good thing Playtonic expressed interest in bringing the game to as many platforms as they are able to :). People acting like there's no market for these kind of games on the PS4 and Xbone, didn't the HD ports of Banjo 1 and 2 sell well?

Platy

Plot twist: Putting eyes in a black hole and waiting for some awesome fanart was their intention from from the start.

So they didn't actualy had the design .... they waited for fanarts to come up as a "work for us for freee" stuff ?

M I N D B L O W N

Top Bottom