• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, best indie jrpg ever, getting a sequel!

demidar

Honestly they might have a lot of problems Kickstarting this. I know Kickstarter's purpose is to "donate" to a project but it's still quite murky law territory.

CHARLES-BARKLEY-CHAMPAGNE-SHOWER.gif

All over Barkley's and my face!

Trans Slam

this is the song that plays when slamsuna c. barklei fights lebrons almark

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I never got around to beating the original, totally forgot it existed for a while. Was funny but didn't like the mashup of all the sprites/tilesets from various RPGs, looked kinda cheap.

Best news ever. I'm shuffling around my room to the Space Jam remix while taking shots on the hoop hanging on the back of my door.

Shut up and Jam was a great parody of a joke of a genre, but that genre is now irrelevant and, thus, another parody is equally unnecessary and would be declawed before the project even begins.

iosef

Best possible gaming news. First game was excellent on many levels, from over-the-top satire to being a genuinely fun game to play.

But: Is anybody else worried about this being an action-RPG?

I never got around to beating the original, totally forgot it existed for a while. Was funny but didn't like the mashup of all the sprites/tilesets from various RPGs, looked kinda cheap.

That was one of the best jokes to me, how cheap it looked. One of the enemies is a badly compressed JPEG of Kratos stretched incorrectly horizontally from what I remember. Absolutely amazing.

N4Us

I love that Michael Jordan's battle sprite is just Michael Jackson, haha.

djtiesto

Shut up and Jam was a great parody of a joke of a genre, but that genre is now irrelevant and, thus, another parody is equally unnecessary and would be declawed before the project even begins.

And posts like this make you look like a joke of a poster. (or a great parody of a joke of a poster)

Threi

notag

So what you are saying is Shut up and Jam 2 should be a console shooter

So Chef(aka whatever new name he just thought up, but he is currently going by sludgelord apparently) says the kickstarter, originally planned for this week, will be happening next week. And they've apparently been working there asses off, on it.

As for the whole legal issues...
We are being very, very careful with this!!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Interview wat RPG Codex (with screenshots!)

Some notes:

-Game will be more WRPGish
-Combat will be like an ARPG
-Arcanum, among others, is a large influence
-Open world, with no level scaling (ala Gothic)
-Multiple solutions to quests
-Permanent character choices
-Save system like Dark Souls
-Kickstarter launching next week, $35,000 goal.

epmode

Interview wat RPG Codex (with screenshots!)

Some notes:

-Game will be more WRPGish
-Combat will be like an ARPG
-Arcanum, among others, is a large influence
-Open world, with no level scaling (ala Gothic)
-Multiple solutions to quests
-Permanent character choices
-Save system like Dark Souls
-Kickstarter launching next week, $35,000 goal.

Needs more in-game pro-JRPG rants.

I wonder how much they'll have to change now that they'll be making money from this game.

Kade

That was a pretty good interview and the guys over at Tales of Games Software seem like they know what they're doing. Really good list of games to be inspired by.

djtiesto

I'm not a fan of western RPGs in the slightest but it will be interesting to see where they go with this, the genre is certainly very ripe for parodying at this point.

Top Bottom