• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

SliChillax

I hope they don't offer the season pass for free since I already bought it, or just give the people who bought it something else.

Urthor

I want to play the game so much....but the PC issues are just holding me back.

And I'm not going to pick up the PS4 version and give Rocksteady/WB even more money. Even if they didn't do the port, they still have responsibility and don't deserve anymore of my cash. They let the PC port go out in this state after all. It doesn't matter what they do now to try and rectify it, they still have just as much responsibility as Iron Galaxy in my opinion, and don't deserve a single penny more of my money.

Ironically, I have the exact same opinion here and I totally agree

LAA

Bizarre why I'm not getting most of the issues posted here... I havent seen a blurry texture yet, don't get stutters (At least no where near as regular as others on here), installed on my HDD too. Obviously I'm missing the visual features. Fps could do with being more stable though for sure, usually when gliding it's around 25fps, on ground usually 30fps, but can lower if theres more enemies around.
I think it's still pretty much playable for me so far and hoping to beat it by the weekend, but I'm still very eager for the update to actually just have a better looking batman and hopefully, better performing, but most of all for the people who have it in an unplayable state or in some cases, can't even boot it.

CUD

Banned
I really hope they give us the ability to disable motion blur, chromatic aberration and film grain. They're just so excessive that I really wish it weren't there.

The issue I have with external post-process methods is that they, understandably, affect UI elements. I wish more devs bothered to support SMAA in addition/lieu of FXAA. Crytek is about the only studio that does so with any regularity.

The AO from Reshade also currently applies rather incorrectly to the world. At the best it is very inconsistent. :/

KingBroly

Banned
Part of me wonders when this re-releases if it's going to be above the PS4 version or not. I know people are expecting it, because they basically owe purchasers a mint by releasing it in such a poor state, but another part of me says those recommended specs are not going to enthuse people at the end of the day.

b0bbyJ03

I got fucked and can't return the game cause I didn't purchase from Steam or GMG. Any word on anything at all? Like is there a timeline for a fix/patch? Are they offering anything up to the people who kept it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Even without all the problems, I'm pretty sure we'd still see slow texture streaming.

I mean, this IS a UE3 game.

Lime

The issue I have with external post-process methods is that they, understandably, affect UI elements. I wish more devs bothered to support SMAA in addition to/lieu of FXAA. Crytek is about the only studio that does so with any regularity.

I don't mind SMAA being applied to UI elements. I totally agree about FXAA being a much inferior solution and I don't know why developers are so oblivious to the advantages of SMAA over FXAA.

Then again, some developers are of the opinion that chromatic abberation is an aesthetically good effect, so what do I know.

jim2011

Beat the initial main story last night on an i3 Alienware alpha. Game was surprisingly very playable at 900p with everything on normal/high with vsync and game works turned off. 1080p was a chug fest so don't even try.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got fucked and can't return the game cause I didn't purchase from Steam or GMG. Any word on anything at all? Like is there a timeline for a fix/patch? Are they offering anything up to the people who kept it?

I gather you purchased from a reseller? If they won't budge, just do a chargeback. You won't lose your game because the reseller can't provide proof of purchase as it's just repurposed wholesale stock.

I don't mind SMAA being applied to UI elements. I totally agree about FXAA being a much inferior solution and I don't know why developers are so oblivious to the advantages of SMAA over FXAA.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely something that bothers me more than it should.

MaLDo

I can't understand a pc gamer that it's ok with the 30 fps cap, being already a part of the tittle (I mean, is an important 'fuck you' from the dev in my book).

Same way, I can't understand a console gamer, abbetting people in this thread (about PC performance) to buy the ps4 version instead that it's obviously limited to 30 fps too.

Mindblowing.

pa22word

I can't understand a pc gamer that it's ok with the 30 fps cap, being already a part of the tittle (I mean, is an important 'fuck you' from the dev in my book).

Same way, I can't understand a console gamer, abbetting people in this thread (about PC performance) to buy the ps4 version instead that it's obviously limited to 30 fps too.

Mindblowing.

It honestly reminds me of the unity or dead rising 3 situation where people were advocating to buy it on consoles because they couldn't get a solid 60 they wanted so were willing to sacrifice literally everything else being better just to "spite the publishers".

"Dead Rising 3 can only run an average of 45 fps at 1080p on my PC? Fuck capcom, I'll buy the xbone version and play it at 720p and 25 fps!"

or

"Unity can't run 1080p60 on my rig? Fuck ubi, I'll buy it on PS4 and play it at 900p30!"

Just stupid, silly shit that's been going on /constantly/ this gen.

Zakalwe

Banned

Mindblowing.

The lock was poor game, sure, but PC gaming doesn't mean you're restricted to the platform or allergic to 30fps.

The ps4 version is excellent, many PC users have refunded their game and bought it on their console instead.

It honestly reminds me of the unity or dead rising 3 situation where people were advocating to buy it on consoles because they couldn't get a solid 60 they wanted so were willing to sacrifice literally everything else being better just to spite the publishers.

"Dead Rising 3 can only run an average of 45 fps at 1080p on my PC? Fuck capcom, I'll buy the xbone version and play it at 720p and 25 fps!"

or

"Unity can't run 1080p60 on my rig? Fuck ubi, I'll buy it on PS4 and play it at 900p30!"

This is nothing like those. This port is absolutely broken for some, and a mess in general. It's not just about the frame rates.

It honestly reminds me of the unity or dead rising 3 situation where people were advocating to buy it on consoles because they couldn't get a solid 60 they wanted so were willing to sacrifice literally everything else being better just to spite the publishers.

or

Glad to see somebody making sense

or

Those poor publishers though, getting all those sales.

pa22word

The ps4 version is excellent, many PC users have refunded their game and bought it on their console instead.

A lot of others have spines and got a refund then proceeded to not reward dumbfuckery with silliness by buying another copy of the game they just refunded for being garbage on arrival.

Zakalwe

Banned
A lot of others have spines and got a refund then proceeded to not reward dumbfuckery with silliness by buying another copy of the game they just refunded for being garbage on arrival.

People aren't spineless because they bought it again on console.

pa22word

This is nothing like those. This port is absolutely broken for some, and a mess in general. It's not just about the frame rates.

I'm speaking generally with my post. Which is why I used different games and specifically not Batman Arkham.

Those poor publishers though, getting all those sales.

I had meant to put that last bit in quotation marks but slipped up and forgot. Alas, I'm pretty sure the point I was trying to make is pretty clear :p

People aren't spineless because they bought it again on console.

That's up for debate, in my personal opinion.

Nibiru

Banned
I got my gmg refund so now I will wait for the Apology Edition with all the dlc for a super discount.

I have a 760 and did get it to run but frame rate drops were too frequent. I never had it crash on me but tbh I didn't play it that much.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm speaking generally with my post. Which is why I used different games and specifically not Batman Arkham.

You said it reminds you of those situations, when it's nothing like them.

This isn't just people complaining about fps, and "everything else" isn't better in this PC version. It's actually broken for many, unplayable, memory leaks and stuttering and crashes.

Nothing alike.

Irobot82

Is the chromatic abberation and film grain one of the Nvidia seetings? I swear I don't have those in my game. I wish I was home so I could post some screen shots.

Gumbie

You seem to be really upset about this. Honestly I don't give a shit about taking some moral high ground against WB or Rocksteady or whoever you're talking about. I just want to play the game I've been waiting for so I can do that on PS4. Calling people who bought it on console "spineless" seems a little over the top.

MaLDo

This isn't just people complaining about fps, and "everything else" isn't better in this PC version. It's actually broken for many, unplayable, memory leaks and stuttering and crashes.

Nothing alike.

Doesn't change the point people that spend money in pc usually goes that way because they want unlocked framerate and unlocked resolution.

Buying the game in another platform only to fix half the problems the pc version has is not a real solution.

I have locked frametimes in my rig without stuttering but I prefer to avoid the game than having to "play" at 30 fps.

kinggroin

Banned

Mindblowing.

Because the PS4 version is 30fps without the annoying hitches that's present on PC (on my rig, Batman runs about the same as the PS4 version, but those half second hitches take you out the experience). Plus its not missing stock graphical features (though it has no gameworks stuff).

And no one is fine with a PC gaming locking a title to 30fps with no way to change it outside ini tweaks. However there are some that find the 30fps cap more than tolerable enough to play and finish the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Doesn't change the point people that spend money in pc usually goes that way because they want unlocked framerate and unlocked resolution.

Buying the game in another platform only to fix half the problems the pc version has is not a real solution.

I have locked frametimes in my rig without stuttering but I prefer to avoid the game than having to "play" at 30 fps.

It is solution when you consider two things:

1. The game is broken for many on PC
2. Many people who own high end rigs also own consoles and don't mind 30fps.

You not liking 30fps doesn't make his post more relevant here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

When did you start PC gaming exactly?

I've seen sentiments around here suggesting that people want to see super high-end PC games that push rigs to the limits. Which company would be foolish enough to do that? A game where even the highest of the high-end could not deliver 60fps would be amazing indeed but I'd imagine most people would flip out over the fact that they couldn't hit the target frame-rate. Would the market support such a game? Seems to me that the majority of "modern" PC gamers actually just prefer enhanced console ports that run at high frame-rates. Nobody wants a true PC game in the classic sense. Who's willing to pull an Origin circa 1995 and release something that just destroys every PC on the market?

I only changed these settings within BMengine and damn, huge difference!

PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

I was not getting the huge stutters I was before, instead I just get frame drops that range from 60- high 40's when flying around or in the batmobile. This game is now enjoyable.

specs: i7 980x @ 4ghz, 780ti, 8gb ram. The game is on an Crucial Mx100 ssd drive.

b0bbyJ03

I gather you purchased from a reseller? If they won't budge, just do a chargeback. You won't lose your game because the reseller can't provide proof of purchase as it's just repurposed wholesale stock.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely something that bothers me more than it should.

I purchased from Nuuvem. I use them a lot so I don't want to lock out my account with them.

GMG refunded my season pass. Can't refund the game since i bough it on ebay but $20 isn't the end of the world. The PS4 version is really amazing though. Even with the FPS dips the game is fun as fuck.

Hopefully Rocksteady took over to fix this shit. I need to play this at a smooth 60FPS Ultra settings. .

pa22word

Nothing alike.

Maldo's post had two parts. I was obviously responding to the second part where he's scratching his head at people going out and buying the console versions of games in general when they don't meet their expectations. I responded by pointing out similar responses by gamers to other games this gen, like Dead Rising 3 or AC Unity.

That part of my post wasn't even about BAK at all, hence me never mentioning it.

I just want to play the game I've been waiting for so I can do that on PS4.

And as long as warner knows they'll get your money either way shit like this will keep happening.
Calling people who bought it on console "spineless" seems a little over the top.

Spineless is exactly how I would describe this behavior. I don't go out and buy the same chair from another retailer when the one I bought from walmart was of shit quality. I just don't buy that brand of chair again as it's clear that the manufacturer doesn't really give a shit about quality, and the burden of changing my opinion on them as a manufacturer would be for them to prove to me they started giving a shit.

Throwing more money at them while wagging your finger doesn't change a thing.

Zakalwe

Banned
Maldo's post had two parts. I was obviously responding to the second part where he's scratching his head at people going out and buying the console versions of games in general when they don't meet their expectations. I responded by pointing out similar responses by gamers to other games this gen, like Dead Rising 3 or AC Unity.

That part of my post wasn't even about BAK at all, hence me never mentioning it.

You said this reminds you of those other times, but it's nothing like them as I reasoned above.

People buying console versions here because the game is broken is nothing like people buying console versions because they can't hit a certain frame rate.

This game is a mess.

What you wrote has nothing to do with this.

T.O.P

Banned
"They fucked up the pc version, i'll show my outrage buying the game again on consoles!"

Seems legit

Game is already bloody cheap on pc (keys go for 17$ now) i'll just wait until they fix their shit up and buy it at the cheapest possible price, i'm no hurry to give them money :)

jorimt

Can you force any other type of AA?

As a couple others have mentioned, you can inject SMAA via SweetFX/Reshade without impacting the lighting like the in-game AA does. Thankfully, It also has very little UI distortion in this particular game.

Another comparison of in-game AA vs default SweetFX injected SMAA (it almost looks like the difference between a high and ultra LOD/draw-distance setting):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132579

I did try forcing Nvidia FXAA, and it also avoids the lighting issue, but it distorts the game's UI a lot more than SMAA, and it is much blurrier, which is to be expected.

As for those having texture streaming issues, there is an old UE3 trick that skips all texture LOD levels when used. It's called "NumStreamedMips."

Simply place "NumStreamedMips" in the "TEXTUREGROUP_World" line (other texture groups are usually unnecessary) like so in the BMSystemSettings.ini file:

TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Linear,NumStreamedMips=0,MipGenSettings=TMGS_Sharpen6)

And you'll have zero world texture streaming. However, there's a massive catch. See, while this was great for last-gen UE3 games that used tiny amounts of VRAM, Arkham Knight will instantly use up all available video memory (like the 4GB on my 770), which could undoubtedly cause serious performance issues.

So it's much less of a "fix," (I'd suggest raising your Poolsize and keeping MaxFPS to 30 to diminish texture pop-in) and much more of a something interesting to mess with. But I thought I'd mention it nonetheless, seeing as no one else in this thread did.

angrylamp

Neo Member
We have no idea what they are doing (WB, RS, or IS) however the game been taken off sale.

Not even a quick fix or anything all week. Give us something for the weekend you assholes

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I purchased from Nuuvem. I use them a lot so I don't want to lock out my account with them.

That'd only happen if you issued a chargeback. A refund is something Nuuvem itself would have to -- and will, in this rather unique case -- approve.

Top Bottom