• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Did you name your XBL gamertag after Executive Director, Marketing, Unscripted & Alternative Television at Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies? Just asking

HAHA

18vzz4l0rrzp0gif.gif

Alright, so based on a steam forum post it is recommended to go to the .ini and:

1. Change max fps to 120, not 60
2. Turn off all motion blur settings including MobilePostProcessBlurAmount to 0.0 as motion blur is bugged
3. Possibly change Texture Resolution to 2, to make it look better.

Obviously YMMV and backup your .ini but I'm gonna try it now.

Edit: Ignore this, it fucks all the graphix.

Omega

Banned
demanding refund hours after a game is out cause performance issues is a bit cray

I mean, complaints SHOULD be loud and clear, but so far they are. I cant really delve deep into the game till tomorrow night and at this rate I expect SOMETHING to get better

I dont say this defending WB, I say it as the best outcome for us

I get what you're saying but honestly, go get your refunds. This game has been constantly delayed and to be in this state is a joke. Valve modified their refund policy for situations like this.

Looks like VRAM is an issue. When your minimum requirements specify 3GB minimum VRAM (2GB for Nvidia) you know VRAM usage is going to be off the charts.

Hitting your VRAM limit always causes stuttering like the stuttering most are describing.
I have a 6GB 980Ti and the framerate still fluctuates at random while driving around the city.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, visually, this sure is an Unreal Engine 3 game through and through. That vaseline sheen and texture pop-in...

The game looks pretty good, but outside of the DOF/bokeh effects, it doesn't seem like a huge jump from Arkham City. Maybe I just had my expectations too high.

Looks like VRAM is an issue. When your minimum requirements specify 3GB minimum VRAM (2GB for Nvidia) you know VRAM usage is going to be off the charts.

Hitting your VRAM limit always causes stuttering like the stuttering most are describing.

I think this might be it. I have 6 GB of VRAM and I'm not having many of the performance issues people are talking about. Especially not stuttering.

I have a 6GB 980Ti and the framerate still fluctuates at random while driving around the city.

Or not! This game is weird.

Salsa

A lot of people like to play day one. If it's broken for them and they would rather spend their money on something else right now, then so be it.

I just know its a risk during the first day when preordering something, and at this point figure most should. preorders suck.

not trying to do a 'shame on you' thing here as I actually did get the game cause I take experience from past entries in the series, so, shame on me too

I think the real nail for me is if / how they address this and how soon tho. thats mainly what im saying here and considering the push for the pc version from themselves and NVIDIA, im hopeful they will asap

Barely getting 60fps with 970 SLI, and even then it's only 60fps when I'm doing nothing or looking straight at the ground.

The game is great, but the performance is ruining it for me. I have a small urge to wait until they sort this nonsense out before continuing on.

npa189

Removed the FPS lock and I'm running at a solid 60 except for batmoblie driving. 970, 3570k and 16GB here. Turned off all of the nvidia stuff but smoke, wish we could turn off that film grain though.

demanding refund hours after a game is out cause performance issues is a bit cray

I mean, complaints SHOULD be loud and clear, but so far they are. I cant really delve deep into the game till tomorrow night and at this rate I expect SOMETHING to get better

I dont say this defending WB, I say it as the best outcome for us

nah im pretty sure someone asking for a refund on a product they purchase and are not satisfied with is the exact opposite of "a bit cray"

Dartastic

If I didn't get the game for free with my 970, I'd also ask for a refund so I could play it on my PS4.

...unfortunately, I can't do that.
Alright, so based on a steam forum post it is recommended to go to the .ini and:

1. Change max fps to 120, not 60
2. Turn off all motion blur settings including MobilePostProcessBlurAmount to 0.0 as motion blur is bugged
3. Possibly change Texture Resolution to 2, to make it look better.

Obviously YMMV and backup your .ini but I'm gonna try it now.
Report back pleaaaaaaaaaaaase. :)

Okay you guys, calm down and listen.

Do not defeat the 30 fps framerate lock. It's there for a reason it seems, however this game is designed, however the engine works, it gets really unhappy if you uncap the framerate. It's much much smoother running at 30 fps from what I've seen.

This game chews through VRAM like crazy. It's constantly capping my 980 Ti's 6 GB of VRAM at 5945 MB according to MSI Afterburner. It's literally using the entire framebuffer of my video card. This is probably what is causing some of you guys to stutter so much if you're running Normal textures and you don't have a lot of VRAM on your video card.

I really need to connect a gamepad for this game, playing with a mouse and keyboard is jank city. Why the hell is MIDDLE MOUSE mapped to firing the Batmobile's cannon. Also driving the Batmobile is kind of awful with mouse and keyboard, I hope Gotham City is okay with me gouging holes in every building I drive past as I bounce off the walls. In general the Goddamn Batmobile is pretty frustrating to control, I can't believe this is what they were hyping for over a year as the big new addition to Batman: Arkham Knight.

FWIW, on my 980 Ti it's mostly smooth, the framerate is basically locked at 30 fps in 4K res with all settings maxed and Gameworks On with my machine. If I pan the camera super fast or drive straight through Gotham as fast as I can, I do notice the occasional stutter which has to be asset streaming, either into memory or into VRAM, but it's not very often. My machine has 12 GB of RAM though in addition to the 980 Ti's 6 GB of VRAM.

This game seems to be quite resource intensive but it's certainly beautiful, it's not as if it's badly optimized. It's just that damn heavy on even high-end machines from what I can see. YMMV.

Karak

A lot of people like to play day one. If it's broken for them and they would rather spend their money on something else right now, then so be it.

Yep that makes total sense. It needs to work day one at least passably and for many its not.

Naite

I've only played the first half hour but so far I'm having better luck than everyone else. I've been playing it 1080p, maxed with all gameworks settings enabled and max framerate set to 120, and its been mostly smooth for me. It does feel like I'm getting really inconsistent framerates but I didn't have an fps counter on to confirm. Can't play the game again til tomorrow evening so the wait is killing me.

My rig:
i5 4690k
Evga 980ti superclocked+

Salsa

nah im pretty sure someone asking for a refund on a product they purchase and are not satisfied with is the exact opposite of "a bit cray"

I think its great that we can, I just think the best thing is to not pre-order and enforce that, and am somewhat hopeful theyll address this soon cause theres a lot in play

Boss Mog

Man everyone in here is a bunch of babies... Look, every game released now is going to have problems the day of launch. If you can't troubleshoot or can't deal with having a few issues here or there, you should probably just wait until about a week from now and a few patches will be out and all these little problems will be fixed.

Maybe from your ivory tower that's how things appear, but in the real world, when people buy something, particularly an entertainment product, they expect it to work. Would you be saying that if your employer released a movie on Blu-Ray that had a major defect which caused it to skip constantly, making it unwatchable; I highly doubt it. People just want to enjoy playing the game they bought, without having to wait for patches and such. I mean don't you guys do any testing? If the game isn't ready to go then just delay it a few weeks and get it right but don't release a broken piece of crap and tell people to stop complaining and just wait for patches.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I just know its a risk during the first day when preordering something, and at this point figure most should. preorders suck.

not trying to do a 'shame on you' thing here as I actually did get the game cause I take experience from past entries in the series, so, shame on me too

I think the real nail for me is if / how they address this and how soon tho. thats mainly what im saying here and considering the push for the pc version from themselves and NVIDIA, im hopeful they will asap

Yeah I get what you're saying but in this case the negative Steam reviews and refunds will push them harder to fix it. The game is supposedly really good outside of the performance issues, so the people getting refunds will most likely come back once it's fixed.

Chief Devin

Removed the FPS lock and I'm running at a solid 60 except for batmoblie driving. 970, 3570k and 16GB here. Turned off all of the nvidia stuff but smoke, wish we could turn off that film grain though.

Same, also wish I could turn off the chromatic aberration.

mjp2417

Banned
Running a healthily overclocked 980 ti and this game's kind of a hot mess right now. Game constantly stutters regardless of settings while my GPU usage is stuck at around 50%. Also, and this is probably due to the nasty CA and grain, but first impressions are that Arkham City looks noticeably better.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hey remember in the steam refunds thread how everyone was wondering what would happen the first time a really big, broken game out

let's find out tomorrow, together

This is an excellent precedent in the making indeed. Excited for the future with digital refunds being a thing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Got to the cutscene where the drone tanks first appear and the game froze on me.The stuttering is killing my 2GB 770

Good fucking night.

baphomet

Barely getting 60fps with 970 SLI, and even then it's only 60fps when I'm doing nothing or looking straight at the ground.

The game is great, but the performance is ruining it for me. I have a small urge to wait until they sort this nonsense out before continuing on.

The game doesn't benefit from sli currently. Disable sli and use your second 970 as a dedicated physx card in the control panel. You can turn on all the gameworks stuff and it doesn't really affect your performance. I'm in the same boat and, while framerate varies wildly, it hasn't dropped below 45 for me at any point.

jett

D-Member
AMD users should be aware that for now, the game has performance issues with AMD cards. No statements from AMD yet.

[EDIT] - New drivers from AMD out:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Yeah I have R9285, 4460, 8 Gb and Just fixed the frame prob. Are the drivers good?

I'm playing with the new drivers.

No, this game isn't good.

Somebody else played with the old drivers, shit was even worse.

BTW, this game always crashes when I exit. lol.

sorry if this is a dumb question. But I am trying to take screenshots, but anytime I hit prntscrn and then look at the picture, it shows that the game is paused. Ive admittedly never tried to take screenshots before. My game is 100% not paused when I am taking the shots, but the end result shows the game paused

Derpcrawler

Core i7 5960X, 32Gb of RAM, SLI Titan X, 18-26FPS with Nvidia Smoke and Fog. Is this real life? Even without it, game feels jittery sometimes, like there is a frame pacing issue, even though I can maintain 80FPS+ at 1440p.

TMONSTER

After an hour of play performance is better than I expected after reading this thread. 5960x with 3x titan X. SLI doesn't seem to be scaling very well but still staying mostly over 60fps at 1440p maxed. Afterburner OSD is not working in game but checking its log for vram usage it maxed out at 7.4GB.

Wait.... Please tell me that you're joking and that there is a a toggle for CA? Please :(

What's next? Forced black bars in PC games?
Nobody has found a CA toggle yet, I don't think. Also to turn it off apparently every other bit of processing would be turned off as well.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Okay you guys, calm down and listen.

Do not defeat the 30 fps framerate lock.[/b[ It's there for a reason it seems, however this game is designed, however the engine works, it gets really unhappy if you uncap the framerate. It's much much smoother running at 30 fps from what I've seen.

This game chews through VRAM like crazy. It's constantly capping my 980 Ti's 6 GB of VRAM at 5945 MB according to MSI Afterburner. It's literally using the entire framebuffer of my video card. This is probably what is causing some of you guys to stutter so much if you're running Normal textures and you don't have a lot of VRAM on your video card.

This is just insane. They should be ashamed for releasing a AAA game in this state.

Corpekata

Banned
sorry if this is a dumb question. But I am trying to take screenshots, but anytime I hit prntscrn and then look at the picture, it shows that the game is paused. Ive admittedly never tried to take screenshots before. My game is 100% not paused when I am taking the shots, but the end result shows the game paused

Use f12, it's the default Steam screenshot key (or rebind it in the settings).

SlickVic

Having a very strange issue

I try starting the game, it tries to go full screen for a second with a black screen, which it apparently doesn't like and then starts the game minimized. When I click the window the screen starts flickering with alternating a black screen and the game in a small window. Only thing I can do to getout is Ctrl-Alt-Del, click sign out to force close all the programs. Even Task Manager doesn't work once the game is clicked.

I am on the latest drivers. I've also tried playing with the ini file to set "defaultfullscreen" to false (as initially the problem seemed like a typical game set to full screen mode that doesn't like alt-tabbing) and adjusting the resolution in the ini to the native resolution of 1080p (wondering whether it didn't like full screen to a non-native res), neither of which actually did anything.

I just went to validate the files and Steam claimed the entire thing failed to validate and it's downloading it all over. I'm doubtful that will actually do anything because normally validating files on Steam takes a little bit of time, but this gave the fail message almost instantly, which makes me wonder if actually did a real check.

The game doesn't benefit from sli currently. Disable sli and use your second 970 as a dedicated physx card in the control panel. You can turn on all the gameworks stuff and it doesn't really affect your performance. I'm in the same boat and, while framerate varies wildly, it hasn't dropped below 45 for me at any point.

That helps a good amount, thanks!

I'm now only hitting 2 framerates - 30 and 60. Never anything else. Which is good, at this point.

Top Bottom