• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wiggleb0t said:
Not to nit pick or pretend to play moderator however the discussion of keys from unauthorized resellers sites was banned which one would think also extends to ebay key resellers.

Look 11 posts up from your own.

The other thing being that if currency, motorbikes, rolex, etc can be made illegitimately and can look %100 legit, do you think it's too far fetched for a 'smart' fraudster with photoshop to whip together a perfectly legit looking photo of a serial number/box regardless of how many MP it is?

What does this have to do with... anything being discussed? I never once said nor implied there isn't the risk of being burned on eBay. Rather, my underlying point is that these are most assuredly not "grey market" keys - I was correcting your assumption to the contrary.

Chairhome

RivalCore said:
Maaan, I really want to cancel my preorder/prepurchase on GMG. Is that even possible? I won't have time to even download this until around Christmas, and even then I can get it cheaper.
You can. Email customer service.

wiggleb0t

Banned
JaseC said:
Look 11 posts up from your own.

What does this have to do with... anything being discussed? I never once said nor implied there isn't the risk of being burned on eBay.

Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. The relevance being that you mentioned a 3.1mp scan of the serial. Also an average joe on ebay and 'grey imports' is a grey area that's hardly drawing any clear line between distinguishing the two apart.

Anyhow, I've held off buying this on consoles and waiting to hear how it runs on ati hardware before making a purchase. As it is possibly one of those 'Nvidia the way you should have paid to properly play this game' kinda title.

JaseC said:
The game unlocks in the UK less than 6 hours from now, so it seems so.
Yeah I'm in the UK so that's why I asked.

angular graphics said:
25th, there's no earlier release.

https://twitter.com/WB_Games_UK/status/133925660589690881

edit: Wait there's 22 for US.

So.. it's not the 18th anymore even though Steam has an ETA of 6 hours? o_O

What the FUCK are they doing with this game? Talk about raping your own IP. Jesus Christ. So glad I bought this for dirt cheap. It's absolutely retarded.

Mupod

IronRinn said:
I wish Rocksteady would just come out and explain this Steamworks/GFWL thing already.

Seriously. If I hadn't got this game for free I wouldn't have bought it for this reason.

That said a lot of people must be buying nvidia cards. I can't get rid of my extra code short of just giving it to a friend, which I might end up doing.

JaseC

wiggleb0t said:
Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. The relevance being that you mentioned a 3.1mp scan of the serial. Also an average joe on ebay and 'grey imports' is a grey area that's hardly drawing any clear line between distinguishing the two apart.

I was merely mentioning the pleasant experience resulting from the use of a reputable seller; the post wasn't meant to be considered empirical evidence that everybody on eBay is a auctioneering saint. Also, I suggest you read the reseller ban thread as it very clearly refers to resold keys intended for lesser markets and thus carry inherent risk. I'd argue that doesn't apply to Arkham City Steam keys given they can only be sourced through the multinational nvidia promotion and are completely region-free.

We're beginning to drag this thread off the rails, so if you believe otherwise we'll have to agree to disagree.

Bumhead

Banned
Naively, im still hanging my hopes on the Steam timer. All the communication from WB has been at the start of November, and at least on the UK store the date has never changed from the 18th since then and until now, with just 4 hours left until it allegedly unlocks. Unless that Steam countdown changes im going to carry on hoping. Setting myself up for a fall but.. I dunno.

If this 4 hours passes without WB giving any update at all today then I will be buying Skyrim this evening, and Warner Brothers better hope I don't get so sucked into that that I cancel my pre-order.

DoctorWho said:
I think I might do this. I've already played the console version. I'll grab the Steam version on the cheap eventually.

And they've already cancelled my preorder and issued a refund. Very quick service from GMG.

JaseC

DennisK4 said:
Can I haz PC Batman today?

Or have the fuckers fucked PC gamers once again?

Every time you upgrade your PC, the game is pushed back a week. :p

RivalCore

DoctorWho said:
And they've already cancelled my preorder and issued a refund. Very quick service from GMG.

They couldn't refund my preorder due to the Paypal's refund window expiring. Pretty shitty, but I won't hold it against GMG.

Mat C said:
Naively, im still hanging my hopes on the Steam timer. All the communication from WB has been at the start of November, and at least on the UK store the date has never changed from the 18th since then and until now, with just 4 hours left until it allegedly unlocks. Unless that Steam countdown changes im going to carry on hoping. Setting myself up for a fall but.. I dunno.

If this 4 hours passes without WB giving any update at all today then I will be buying Skyrim this evening, and Warner Brothers better hope I don't get so sucked into that that I cancel my pre-order.

Hanging my hopes on the steam countdown as well.Pointless really, since it's come from the top (WB) that it won't be out today. But hopefully...HOPEFULLY, a lack of communication between the two will mean it'll somehow come out earlier.

Though I've got Alice Madness Returns, Skyrim, Adventures of Tintin, Devil May Cry 4, Dead Island, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, and another playthrough of AC: Brotherhood. So I can't really complain about lack of things to do during the wait. I certainly would still like to play Batman today though.

I've finished it twice on console, but on the PC...many screenshots to be had!

jett

D-Member
Asylum ran at 1080p@60fps on my PC, I hope this one runs well too. PC programmers have really been letting me down in terms of performance with goddamn console ports lately.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Kyaw said:
I thought it was 25th? Or so it says on my GreenManGaming page. o_O

Some here are willfully ignoring the most recent press release from WB that says the game will be available on the 22nd for North America and the 25th for Europe.

I don't blame them because WB's word is about as good as a metaphor about shit that I don't even give enough fucking shit to come up with god damn give me batman you sonsofbitches.

Sober

I would love it if Steam were right about B:AC for the UK being out today. Sadly we don't get a preload anyway, plus I don't feel like using a proxy just to unlock it.

Guess I'll have time to download it on the 22nd while I'm playing SS :)

morningbus

If WB had smart people at its helm, they would have made how they handled the PC release part of some evil Joker plan. That'd at least be kind of fun.

Damn, just picked up a Steam key for $25 in hopes it would magically unlock today. Oh well, I certainly have enough games to hold me over but I'm really curious as to how this looks on my PC. And I loved the shit out of it on 360.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY

morningbus said:
If WB had smart people at its helm, they would have made how they handled the PC release part of some evil Joker plan. That'd at least be kind of fun.
"Like" Arkham City's PC version on Facebook! Game unlocks after a million!

Kyaw

morningbus said:
Some here are willfully ignoring the most recent press release from WB that says the game will be available on the 22nd for North America and the 25th for Europe.

I don't blame them because WB's word is about as good as a metaphor about shit that I don't even give enough fucking shit to come up with god damn give me batman you sonsofbitches.

A title change would be... suitable.

inky

It still says 22 for me. Ugh. I'm not even hyped about this game anymore.

Be truthful guys... who bought it for consoles due to this? Because that is exactly what they wanted you to do.

Salaadin

inky said:

Be truthful guys... who bought it for consoles due to this? Because that is exactly what they wanted you to do.

I cancelled my preorder and am going to wait for a sale. SKyrim last week and Zelda next week..Batman has to wait.
I was so hyped for it too.

inky said:

Me. But I used Best Buy reward zone credit....so at least I didn't spend that much money.

morningbus

Choke on the Magic said:
Wait...what?......I thought I....wtf. Is there any reason for this?

No. No explanation given. WB issued another statement, further delaying the game to the 22nd/25th from its original 18th launch and didn't even recognize that they were delaying it further.

They probably delayed it because otherwise it would be going up against fairly big PC releases made by companies who actually don't jerk their customers around.

TDLink

Whenever it actually releases aside, have they said yet if the Catwoman stuff is going to be automatically part of the same download or will we have to do that separately like the console version?

Sober

JaseC said:
It uses Steamworks for achievements, but other than that we don't know.
I'm only getting the Steam version because mostly of the cloud for saves (even though I haven't had a disaster happen with GFWL and AA) as well as the expectation that the DLC is going to appear on Steam (as most recent GFWL titles have) so I can at least buy them if they ever get discounted, unlike GFWL/XBL Marketplace where it is pretty rare if at all.

Bumhead

Banned
Just read it can take 3-5 days to refund charges anyway, which doesn't really help me. I was going to use the funds to get Skyrim tonight but at this point I might just plunge on Skyrim and worry about it later.

Sigh, I'll manage with the disappointment.

JaseC

Mat C said:
Just read it can take 3-5 days to refund charges anyway, which doesn't really help me. I was going to use the funds to get Skyrim tonight but at this point I might just plunge on Skyrim and worry about it later.

Sigh, I'll manage with the disappointment.

You're doing the right thing.

Sober said:
I'm only getting the Steam version because mostly of the cloud for saves (even though I haven't had a disaster happen with GFWL and AA) as well as the expectation that the DLC is going to appear on Steam (as most recent GFWL titles have) so I can at least buy them if they ever get discounted, unlike GFWL/XBL Marketplace where it is pretty rare if at all.

If I didn't snag an nvidia key, I'd be waiting for the game to be half off... on Steam, because I prefer to have my games in one location.

Chesskid1

Banned

Derrick01

Banned
They couldn't have fucked up this release any more than they have. Not to mention the console release was ruined too by their DLC screw ups.

WB is a really shit company. I wish Wada wasn't equally awful and Rocksteady would have been bought by SE to be put under Eidos.

Yup, just checked the steam forum for Arkham Aslyum. This game is already in some peoples hands, but for those who've bought it online, WB don't seem to give a fuck.

Fuck you WB, that's not how you treat your customers.

Top Bottom