• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

The Nature Roy said:
Call me cynical but I still believe it was a Ubi-style strategic maneuver in the attempt to side-step piracy in order to push console sales.

Of course it is. "Needed more time" is code for "fuck PC gamers" these days.

Nelo Ice

Banned

This game would've been perfect as a reward for finishing my 2nd anatomy midterm today. Now arkham city will mock my steam list for another month =(.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sober said:
I think someone said it showed up on Steam's registry for preorder, so it should be up within the month?

In 1-2 weeks, I imagine. I think it was said that there's also a registry entry for an Arkham City and Lego Batman bundle (should have included an Arkham Asylum and City bundle, WB).

Sober said:
I think someone said it showed up on Steam's registry for preorder, so it should be up within the month?

Those of us who got it for free for buying nvidia cards already have it on our steam lists, so I would think it's been in the registry for a while. There was something weird about an early access or some such shit popping up in the steam registry, though.

Spike

Stumpokapow said:
Right, but if you want to play on Wii U, you'll have to wait even longer to get it for $20, like PS3 BioShock, Mass Effect 2, or any other year late port :p

Except that when it lauches it will most likely be the GOTY version, and if WB follows suit like they did with the AA GOTY, it will be a fulll price game on all three consoles again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Crunched said:
Wasn't PC reported as the lead?

Yet the lead platform needs more time than the other platforms...

The plot thickens.

*Turns on detective mode, doesn't turn it off for the rest of the game*

Scipius

No PC gamer who truly values the PC as a gaming platform would buy this game anyway.

It's a GFWL game, people. Don't buy it. Not even at a discount.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Scipius said:
No PC gamer who truly values the PC as a gaming platform would buy this game anyway.
Which is why we got it for free when we got a new GeForce card, duh.

Refreshment.01 said:
Holy shit at some of guys, you don't have much self control. Getting a version you didn't want and then double dipping even. So willingly falling into the trap, WB loves you at least.
For me it's simply down to the fact that I have between now and November 11 to play not much. After November 11 it's going to be crazy with Skyrim, AC Revelations, Halo CE Anniversary and other games so might as well get Arkham City out of the way.

Skilletor

Scipius said:

I don't even know what this means.

I'm buying it on PC because I built a PC to play multiplatform games. I want the best version. AC on GFWL will be the best version. Since that's the only way to play it on PC, that's how I'll do it.

Derrick01

Banned
Scipius said:

I'm pretty sure I can buy this without starting a GFWL revolution. This is pretty much the only big AAA game left using it.

Besides this game's too good to ignore on PC, which makes the wait all the more difficult.

Scipius said:

Lol, what kind of reasoning is that? Should I have also avoided Dawn of War II because it was GFWL?

I am going to be patient and wait, unlike a lot of people in this thread, for many reasons. Better framerate, resolution, graphics, physics and all at a much cheaper price make this the version to go with for me. In the meantime, I have Gears of War 3, Dark Souls, and Dead Rising: Off the Record to play. Battlefield 3 and Skyrim will also keep me more than busy until Batman and eventually Saint's Row 3 comes out.

LQX said:
Have to say some of you seem so...not angry that there is a delay. Odd thing to see considering what some rage about

Whats next? Not buying PC ports of console games?

No reason to rage when there are plenty of other games out there to play right now. Patience is a virtue my friend.

LQX

Have to say some of you seem so...not angry that there is a delay. Odd thing to see considering what some rage about

Scipius said:

Scipius said:

Considering even MS has abandoned it, I wouldn't be too worried.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Of course it is. "Needed more time" is code for "fuck PC gamers" these days.

Pretty much. I'm almost positive that the PC version was done first/along with the other two versions. Yet releasing it in the middle of a AAA shitstorm is just stupid.

Scipius

Derrick01 said:
I'm pretty sure I can buy this without starting a GFWL revolution. This is pretty much the only big AAA game left using it.

Besides this game's too good to ignore on PC, which makes the wait all the more difficult.

What you're doing is validating GFWL as a valid platform, especially now that it is not very popular and its deserved eradication might just be possible. You're proving that employing a platform from a company that is fundamentally hostile to PC gaming is not an impediment to selling a title on the PC platform and that perverting a poor PC to function as merely a degenerate XBox-like bastard is acceptable.

Don't buy this game if you like PC gaming, people. Not even at a discount. Stop the rot.

Yes. What the PC needs is PC exclusives that make use of the platform's strengths. Not crappy console ports.

Derrick01

Banned
LQX said:

That's because we've known about the November delay for a while now, this was just the specific date. I'm willing to bet we weren't so civil in the old thread. I know I felt like a truck hit me when I learned of the delay, this has been my most wanted game all year.

Skilletor

Scipius said:
What you're doing is validating GFWL as a valid platform, especially now that it is not very popular and its deserved eradication might just be possible. You're proving that employing a platform from a company that is fundamentally hostile to PC gaming is not an impediment to selling a title on the PC platform and that perverting a poor PC to function as merely a degenerate XBox-like bastard is acceptable.

Don't buy this game if you like PC gaming, people. Not even at a discount. Stop the rot.

Yes. What the PC needs is PC exclusives that make use of the platform's strengths. Not crappy console ports.

I like gaming. Fuck your labels.

Dambrosi

Banned
Buying it for cheap beforehand off a GAFfer did have its benefits. Means I can now buy UMvC3 without any worries. Thanks, WB
for nothing, you screwups

scipius: your reasoning is somewhat paranoid, but GFWL is nearly dead. Batman is the only game still using it yet to be released, with no other PC games on the horizon using it. Hell, even Microsoft have abandoned it. I wouldn't be too worried. (Gah. Gully State, great minds think alike, I see. Sorry for quoting you almost verbatim, my bad.)

Besides, despite all the complaints about it, GFWL wasn't even that bad - at least you didn't have to pay to play online through it! What next - boycott all Xbox 360 games that use Live? A little too late for that.

Dipswitch

Scipius said:

I see the hyperbole surrounding GFWL is alive and well. Despite the heinous problems some people had with earlier GFWL titles, I think it's safe to assume the vast preponderance of people will have zero problems with the game or GFWL. Hell, wait for a day or two after launch to make sure there aren't any problems if needs be.

But don't swear off the game, sight unseen, just because it happens to include GFWL. It's not fair to the developers or the publisher.

Dipswitch

Scipius said:
You're looking at it the wrong way. Using GFWL is not fair to the customer.

It's not a problem for me - I've had sod all issues with GFWL and I like the benefits. As do many other people I suspect.

Anyway, I don't intend to shit up the thread with GFWL talk. Just wanted people to see that other people have run GFWL titles with no problems and that I wouldn't let it dissuade you from buying what is probably the definitive version of the game.

Scipius said:
You're looking at it the wrong way. Using GFWL is not fair to the customer.
Me not buying a game that I am interested in because of GFWL is not fair to me. I am not going to spend more money on a console version that won't perform as well as the PC version, just because you don't like GFWL.

Scipius said:
Lol.

Scipius

Darkshier said:
Me not buying a game that I am interested in because of GFWL is not fair to me. I am not going to spend more money on a console version that won't perform as well as the PC version, just because you don't like GFWL.

You shouldn't refuse to buy it to please me. You should refuse to buy it because it's in your own best interest as a PC gamer. Unfortunately many PC gamers just don't understand that an open and free platform is the opposite of what GFWL represents.

"Put Simply the delay was because the game was not ready, the PC version truly looks incredible and has alot of kick butt features and it meant that it took a little longer to complete.

We truly are sorry about the delay but trust me it is 100% worth it when you see how the game looks on pc
" -SarahWellock

Cpt.Underpants said:
"Put Simply the delay was because the game was not ready, the PC version truly looks incredible and has alot of kick butt features and it meant that it took a little longer to complete.

We truly are sorry about the delay but trust me it is 100% worth it when you see how the game looks on pc
" -SarahWellock

CM continually avoids the topic of DLC on PC...sigh...

morningbus

Easy_D said:
Oh dammit..I hope the delay turns out to be "Well, we switched from GFWL to Steamworks! Sorry for the delay guys!"

It's nice to dream

All is forgiven if they say that. I know it would be a lie, but I would accept it and all would be forgiven.

Sober

morningbus said:
All is forgiven if they say that. I know it would be a lie, but I would accept it and all would be forgiven.
It could just be that the Steam version has achievements, kinda like how The Witcher 2 on Steam had them but wasn't necessarily Steamworks anywhere else.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Dipswitch

Sober said:
It could just be that the Steam version has achievements, kinda like how The Witcher 2 on Steam had them but wasn't necessarily Steamworks anywhere else.

Well, that would be a good compromise then. Good on Rocksteady if that is indeed what they've done.

morningbus

Sober said:

I imagine you may be right, but not having GFWL anywhere near my Steam version is cause of celebration.

Sober

morningbus said:
I imagine you may be right, but not having GFWL anywhere near my Steam version is cause of celebration.
Yeah, same. If it ditches GFWL on Steam I'll gladly pick it up if that's the case. Otherwise if it did I couldn't care less if I had it on Steam or not but this is a nice incentive if so.

edit: hmm, still securom though, that's a strange decision again.

Top Bottom