• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

scitek

Ahahaha as soon as I press start in the menu with it in DX11 mode it just freezes. I'll try it in DX9 and if that doesn't work, fuck it.

EDIT: This is WITH the 11.11a hotfix, BTW.

demolitio

Not for me. Can barely break 30 FPS even on lowest settings at lowest resolution. AMD is my issue, though. PC issues are starting to bum me out.

Same. Even with the latest AMD profile for it, driving turns the game into a slideshow. Their forums are plagued with it so I'd hardly say it's a well optimized game but rather runs well for some and runs like shit for others (with powerful hardware I mean).

All I can hope for is that this game isn't the same but I'll hold off on judging it until GMG allows me to download it.

inky

Fucking crash to desktop Batman. Twice in a row no less. I also love the N-n-n-n-vi-i-i-d-d-d-i-i-i-a logo and the constant reminder that, while I bought the game -and had to enter my serial twice to prove it- I might actually be a pirate so better not activate my game too many times.

Hopefully the game will be good at least, gee. I think I need some rest. =/

Saint's Row 3 runs like butter in DX11 mode. Very well optimized game.

It does run smoothly, but the framerates are still considerably lower than in DX9. DX11 in AC is causing both low average framerates and horrible stuttery drops all the time (even the NVIDIA logo lags when launching the game). Turning it off is a fine solution for me as I barely notice it anyway and I can still pack around 80-100 FPS average with max everything and 4x AA.

milesdm

Jumped over to Cali. a la vpn to effectively pre-load it.

Steam is so confused:

Ec0iI.png

Zimbardo

It does run smoothly, but the framerates are still considerably lower than in DX9. DX11 in AC is causing both low average framerates and horrible stuttery drops all the time (even the NVIDIA logo lags when launching the game). Turning it off is a fine solution for me as I barely notice it anyway and I can still pack around 80-100 FPS average with max everything and 4x AA.

i never had a problem with the Nvidia logo yet.

at least that's been smooth for me.

changing settings with DX11 doesn't seem to do much ...ie, changing Tessellation from high, normal, off, hardly makes any difference for me.

gonna try it with DX11 off now.

sheesh.

Sectus

Anyone with the steam version, how is GFWL implemented? Do you get dual achievement notifications for both steam and GFWL? Are savegames stored on the cloud or on harddrive?

inky

Anyone with the steam version, how is GFWL implemented? Do you get dual achievement notifications for both steam and GFWL? Are savegames stored on the cloud or on harddrive?

You get both notifications and it does have cloud storage. Just right click icon and go to properties>updates to make sure it is activated.

Zimbardo

Update

DirectX11 is indeed the culprit, at least combined with MSAA. With DX11 and MSAA on, the minimum FPS shoots up from 2-3 at times to 45.

Runs sooooooo much smoother in DX10 mode.

WTF, Rocksteady. Seriously!?

Benchmarks with DX11 off
Settings: Max settings, 1080p, PhysX: HIGH, Vsync OFF, 32x CSAA

Minimum: 27
Maximum: 99
Avg: 54

just tried it with DX11 off.

i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 regular gtx560 1gig (1 dedicated to physx)

settings = everything maxed, 1080p, physx=high, vsync on, 4x msaa.

min = 26
max = 62
average = 53

ya, DX11 seems kinda messed up in this game.

UrbanRats

bmancode.jpg

not sure if that's a voucher or an email...

I don't want hear it lol. I am barely getting 1 mb/s. I've got 8 hours to go. It's free, but I'm sharing it, and the router is way away from my pc.

LOL.
In the good days, on steam i get, like, 760kb/s.

scitek

batmanac.exe_2011-11-qvend.png

Everything max in DX11 with just FXAA on High.

Phenom II x4 @ 3.5GHz
4GB RAM
2GB Radeon 6950

The Unreal Texture Streaming [TM] is what's killing the performance. Happens in every game.

I'm gonna try DX9 now.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm in the UK and already bought and paid for this on Steam, but it's not out until Friday over here.

Are there any loop holes or other such hijinks that mean I can play this now?

just tried it with DX11 off.

i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 regular gtx560 1gig (1 dedicated to physx)

settings = everything maxed, 1080p, physx=high, vsync on, 4x msaa.

min = 26
max = 62
average = 53

ya, DX11 seems kinda messed up in this game.

Amazing. So even with a GTX 560 as a PhysX card, you still get same/less performance than I do with the GTX 570 handling PhysX by itself.

So much for needing a dedicated card I guess?

Thoughts on the game:

Looks amazing, even in DX9 mode. Definitely one of the best looking PC games out. PhysX effects on the cape are AWESOME, and the game runs 60+ FPS while gliding through the city.

Looks like Rocksteady has some explaining to do on the performance, though.

I'm in the UK and already bought and paid for this on Steam, but it's not out until Friday over here.

Are there any loop holes or other such hijinks that mean I can play this now?

Yes, use a VPN in California/USA to get it.

Micerider

Would it be possible that DX11 is there only as place-holder because they received the updated UE3 version with the DX11 API available and that they did only really focus on DX9. No excuse, but that would make sense and would certainly call for later patches to improve DX11 perfs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would it be possible that DX11 is there only as place-holder because they received the updated UE3 version with the DX11 API available and that they did only really focus on DX9. No excuse, but that would make sense and would certainly call for later patches to improve DX11 perfs.

No. Rocksteady have talked about DX11 support in the past, particularly the utilisation of tessellation. Suffice to say, they've been working on the DX11 renderer for quite some time.

Micerider

And for the sake of comparison, what's the "gut feeling" about Image quality differences between DX9 and DX11 for those who tested both?

And for the sake of comparison, what's the "gut feeling" about Image quality differences between DX9 and DX11 for those who tested both?

I'm sure there's some differences, maybe like how Dirt 2 had way better colors/contrast/look with DX11 renderer, but it's really hard to tell. The performance with DX11 is so poor that I don't even want to go and do comparisons, it really does perform like shit.

Nvidia logo stutters and lags in DX9 too.

Turn on PhysX High if you want to trade some of that wasted performance for awesome physics effects.

Zimbardo

Amazing. So even with a GTX 560 as a PhysX card, you still get same/less performance than I do with the GTX 570 handling PhysX by itself.

So much for needing a dedicated card I guess?

Thoughts on the game:

Looks amazing, even in DX9 mode. Definitely one of the best looking PC games out. PhysX effects on the cape are AWESOME, and the game runs 60+ FPS while gliding through the city.

Looks like Rocksteady has some explaining to do on the performance, though.

just tried it with the same settings but with Physx High set to use just the primary GTX560.

min = 21
max = 61
average = 46

not much of a difference over using the 2nd card as a dedicated Physx card.

gonna try it with sli enabled now. probably wont matter much.

just tried it with the same settings but with Physx High set to use just the primary GTX560.

min = 21
max = 61
average = 46

not much of a difference over using the 2nd card as a dedicated Physx card.

gonna try it with sli enabled now. probably wont matter much.

I lol'd. Wow. 5-7 FPS difference. Guess I'm not gonna throw my 8800GT in because it won't do shit. So much for needing a dedicated PhysX card I guess!

I bet you could gain back the lost performance just by overclocking both cards.

scitek

My AMD card in DX9 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-ufdsk.jpg

in DX11 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-rtc16.jpg

Something's just borked in DX11 mode. There's no reason for me to be getting 60fps less on average than in DX9. I'll limit Crysis 2 to 30fps for DX11 because in DX9 I was barely getting 50fps as it was. I'll just stick with DX9 and wait for a patch.

Zimbardo

I lol'd. Wow. 5-7 FPS difference. Guess I'm not gonna throw my 8800GT in because it won't do shit. So much for needing a dedicated PhysX card I guess!

I bet you could gain back the lost performance just by overclocking both cards.

just tried with sli enabled ...

min 23
max 61
average 50

ya i could overclock them for sure. might do that sometime.

i'll probably stick with the 2nd card dedicated to physx tho. my minimum framerate was better/higher with that setup.

man i hope they patch this for better DX11 performance ...and/or nvidia gets better drivers for it.

kinda neat how both xbox and steam achievements pop up at the same time. i kinda like seeing that. :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is it possible to use a VPN to start a download on Steam and then switch out to download the rest of it?

demolitio

I'm beginning to wrap my head around what their rationalization for this is going to be ......and I don't like it.

"We wanted to focus on a great game on all platforms, but we aren't a large team so we can't focus on building a game for 1% of our audience, blah, blah, blah."

Something like that? I'd hope not but it seems to be the norm lately...lol

Wow

Glad I opted for the PS3 version instead.

Like someone else said, PC issues are REALLY starting to bum me out and I find myself NOT wanting to buy them anymore.
I mean, it's hard not to feel a bit guilty when you dropped $1500 on a gaming laptop and your average performance in these mega-releases is barely ahead of 5+ year old hardware.

SlickVic

Yay ... so have to use capsule to download ... is it decent? Do I need to keep it open to run the game everytime?

They said in the past that you just need Capsule to download the game. Don't know what the dl speeds are like, although it seems a bit annoying that I have a key but it's still telling I have to wait another hour before I can start the download.

Jtrizzy

LOL.
In the good days, on steam i get, like, 760kb/s.

To be honest, it's closer to that. And because it's so far from the router (I guess) it fluctuates like crazy it was at like 20kb/s a minute ago.

Is there a way to tell how much bandwidth other people on your network are using? I'm wondering if this person is just d/ling shit all the time or something. It's supposed to be a 3mb/s connection. I don't pay anything for it, so I don't really want to raise a stink about it.

"We wanted to focus on a great game on all platforms, but we aren't a large team so we can't focus on building a game for 1% of our audience, blah, blah, blah."

Something like that? I'd hope not but it seems to be the norm lately...lol

That's what they may say as PR, but the reality may be something like this:

"High end PC users are less likely to pirate. (If they can afford a high-end system, they can afford the game). Low-end PC users can play it on the consoles."

That's my hunch. Rocksteady, more than most developers, are obsessed with piracy prevention.

Chesskid1

Banned
Wow

Like someone else said, PC issues are REALLY starting to bum me out and I find myself NOT wanting to buy them anymore.
I mean, it's hard not to feel a bit guilty when you dropped $1500 on a gaming laptop and your average performance in these mega-releases is barely ahead of 5+ year old hardware.

if they released this without DX11 everyone would be happy about this port and would be praising the hell out of it. it also blows aways console in DX9.

but they didn't and released it with terrible DX11 performance, so there are complaints.

just played the first 25 min. that music. that catwoman animations. so good!

if they released this without DX11 everyone would be happy about this port and would be praising the hell out of it.

but they didn't and released it with terrible DX11 performance, so there are complaints.

just played the first 25 min. that music. that catwoman animations. so good!

Oh so it's just DX11 support then?
So those running DX9 should expect Batman:AA kinds of performance then?

Zimbardo

Wow

pc on its lowest settings is probably still better than ps3/xbox, tho.

Smash88

Banned
THERE IS ZERO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DX11 and the Non-DX11 VERSION OF BATMAN:

With DX11:
dx11-1.jpg

Without DX11:
notdx11-1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

With DX11:
dx11-2.jpg

Without DX11:
notdx11-2.jpg

So they needed a whole month for this? What a joke.

Also in case someone is worried, terrible frames in DX11.

Jtrizzy

Wow

Believe me, I know. I spent that amount on my pc, and it's been nothing but nightmares from day one. DXHR was my first game---ran like shit at launch. Crysis 2, next game. DL all the texture packs/DX11...crashes, can't get past a certain point. Same with BF3, although I finally got past the area by turning it to medium, then back to Ultra.

Don't even get me started on 3DTV. It's looks great on PC, especially compared to PS3, but the amount of tweaking and forum researching is insane.

Generally DX11 games seem to crash a lot for me...Metro 2013 does it as well.

comrade

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
GPUs: 2x AMD 6950s @ 900/1350

DX9
- 2048x1152 - 8xMSAA - Everything maxed - Physx off
4M3oh.jpg

DX11 - 2048x1152 - 8xMSAA - Tessellation Normal - Everything maxed - Physx off
v5x4E.jpg

SlickVic

LOL, just needed to change my time zone to Eastern in Windows, restart Capsule, and now it's downloading. 3 hours and 10 minutes to go!

Damn, game runs incredibly well on DX9 with 8x MSAA. 70-90 FPS constant outside in Arkham City, even with PhysX on high.

I think I'm going to switch to 32x CSAA just because I have so much performance to spare. Game looks incredible too.

If only DX11 mode ran as well as DX9. Ah well.

Edit: Just turned on 32x CSAA. Max settings +16x Anisotropic Filtering + PhysX High = 60 FPS locked. Awesome

Top Bottom