• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Aiming for identical Res/Framerate Across Xbox One and PS4

Mr_eX

You guys are acting like it would be bad if they're both 1080p. Which I'd all they're talking about here. Do you want the PS4 version to be 4k or something?

I'm just saying that if people are going to pass on a great gaming experience (or maybe just just refuse to support a studio who had given us some amazing games) because the PS4 version isn't significantly better then they probably have their priorities as a gamer out of whack. If graphics are someone's top priority they should probably be on PC anyway, which is sure to be the best version in terms of IQ.
That's not the point, it never was. People don't want the PS4 version to always be better, the problem is that words like "parity" make people think the PS4 is getting held back on purpose so the X1 doesn't look worse in comparison.

ZeroX03

Banned
Happens all the time.

Just recently:

Link

This was from EA's official Dragon Age twitter, they were diggin' at Ubisoft for their ridiculous "parity to avoid debate" nonsense. Guess what? I'm buying Dragon Age now on day one.

Gamers really should demand more from the companies in this industry. It's ridiculous at this point.

We were talking about last generation, and you quoted a post that was made a month ago in response to the Ubisoft parity debacle.

Jesus, no gives a fuck except PS4 fanbois who can only afford one console or PC elitists. 99% of the world doesn't care and couldn't tell the difference unless they were running next to each other on the exact same screens. Even then, the general gaming population is simply not visually savvy enough to see the difference.

#firstworldfuckingproblems

Oh, God...it's one of those comments.

Look around, we're on a gaming forum...on the internet...of-fucking-course it's going to be full of "first-world problems".

SilentFlyer

17EFymq.jpg

theDeeDubs

I love how people have fits over this. A lot of posts make me chuckle.

You would think that when there is "parity" people would realize it's most like NO attempt to make one version worse in any way.

These companies are probably targeting a certain res and framerate. That res and framerate is most likely easier on the PS4 vs the X1.

How many times does this have to be repeated?

Say the goal is 1080p/30 with 2xMSAA and VSync enabled. Lets say they end up with a PS4 version that runs 40-50fps @ those settings and and X1 build that runs at 30-40fps.

They want a solid performance, without big fluctuations, so they lock/cap both @30fps.

There, now you have "parity", although in the end...with the same res, you most likely have a lot more headroom on the PS4. Stop getting so hurt by the word "parity".

The sensible answer.

DrkSage

Jesus, no gives a fuck except PS4 fanbois who can only afford one console or PC elitists. 99% of the world doesn't care and couldn't tell the difference unless they were running next to each other on the exact same screens. Even then, the general gaming population is simply not visually savvy enough to see the difference.

You need to be more subtle on your post, basically everything gave it away. Nice try tho. ;)

Frog-fu

Banned
This news doesn't bother me in the slightest but, how is this going to be a thing when they've got a co-marketing agreement with Sony?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the Arkham games on PS3/360 here .. if so, then those games are some of the closest multiplatform releases of the last gen, with only minor differences.

i-e the Arkham series has always had a very close parity in all the games so far, so people blowing their lids off here is weird.

For the record I agree that some people are over reacting until we see the data and launch. I simply want to know why "parity" was not an issue last gen.

How often did devs admit prior to release that one platform was getting a shittier version than the other? Wait and see.

I'll buy this no matter what, it's Arkham and Rocksteady I'm not impartial

then why say anything then? how hard is it to just say: We are still working on resolution and framerate for all versions of the game. we will push all versions to be the best they can possibly be.

this isn't rocket science. don't shit on xbone, but also don't say you are gimping the ps4 version.

Harmen

I'm going to assume you're talking about the Arkham games on PS3/360 here .. if so, then those games are some of the closest multiplatform releases of the last gen, with only minor differences.

i-e the Arkham series has always had a very close parity in all the games so far, so people blowing their lids off here is weird.

Well, in potential the PS3 and 360 were very alike, depending on the engine and type of game. At the end of the generation, most developers were able to make PS3 versions with very minor differences. But the PS4 and One are of similar architecture with a significant difference in power. People expect those differences to show one way or another.

You would think that when there is "parity" people would realize it's most like NO attempt to make one version worse in any way.

These companies are probably targeting a certain res and framerate. That res and framerate is most likely easier on the PS4 vs the X1.

Say the goal is 1080p/30 with 2xMSAA and VSync enabled. Lets say they end up with a PS4 version that runs 40-50fps @ those settings and and X1 build that runs at 30-40fps.

They want a solid performance, without big fluctuations, so they lock/cap both @30fps.

There, now you have "parity", although in the end...with the same res, you most likely have a lot more headroom on the PS4. Stop getting so hurt by the word "parity".
the moment I take a game thats running at 40-50 FPS and lock it at 30FPS I realize I now have more room to do somethings. Why conform to some random goal, you got room to work with, add some more AF, try and bump the MSAA to 4x, maybe AO. You've just given yourself room to work with, use it.

Oni Jazar

Honestly, if I had to guess, marketing's trying to appease both ps4 and x1 owners.
And I don't know if it's that recent either, last generation you had publishers and developers like bethesda for example, who kept saying until the very last minute how both versions were the same (aka parity) and we ended up with Skyrim situations.

Just a new spin, I'd say :)

Yeah, last generation every dev was talking parity then too. But that wasn't the case. The proper response should be that they are using each system to their maximum ability. That's what people want.

You guys are acting like it would be bad if they're both 1080p. Which I'd all they're talking about here. Do you want the PS4 version to be 4k or something?

*Facepalm*

When will people learn that there are tons of other graphical settings that contribute towards graphical parity, not just resolution?

the moment I take a game thats running at 40-50 FPS and lock it at 30FPS I realize I now have more room to do somethings. Why conform to some random goal, you got room to work with, add some more AF, try and bump the MSAA to 4x, maybe AO. You've just given yourself room to work with, use it.

Steroyd

Basically this.

Hopefully it means One will be like PS4 and not the other way around.

Assassin's Creed Unity has everyone sceptical when they see the word "parity" now mainly because very often a Xbox One version of a game is lagging behind in resolution whether it's 900p or 720p.

Devs could be looking at it like "We are going to make the game the best it can be on both platforms" and in their minds, that is parity. Each platform will be the best it can be instead of one platform will be better than the other.

Aye, this is it.

Why not just say "we will make the game the best it can be on all plattforms"?

Because that's their definition of parity. This only blew up because of the Unity thing.

Wow, how come nobody catched that.

They did, it didn't mean anything until now, though.

THIS.

Well that escalated quickly.

Yes. If it weren't around or had a negligible market share, they wouldn't bother. Nobody is optimizing for Wii U parity.

Nobody is optimizing for Wii U parity because there is a dramatic difference between hardware there. With the Xbox One and PS4, it's closer. I don't support parity, in fact I'm very much against it because I believe that if someone pays for the higher-performing console that they should get the better end of the performance stick; folks buying Xbox Ones are surely comfortable with this as they're making that choice. Therefore developers/companies shouldn't worry about Xbox One owners being butthurt that there's not a few more p's in their games.

That's why, unless Microsoft is pulling some strings, developers shouldn't care either. They should care about doing the best they can for each platform, but they shouldn't be lessening another platforms' capabilities so that people with the other console are more psychologically comfortable. It's not up to the developer to babysit everyone's choice of platform. Do 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One. If Xbox One owners don't like that they can get a PS4 or gaming PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Considering that they mention res not being locked down yet, I hope they mean that both versions will have the same visual settings but different resolutions if they can't hit 1080p on XBO

Kerub

Banned

It's not about the practical difference, it's about the principle.

Audioboxer

THIS.

1388272948513.gif

Here we go again with parity circus folks. Come on in!

Some of you guys need to chill. They're trying to reach the maximum amount of people and make sure everyone gets the same experience. Nothing wrong with that.

''But the pixels and the blah bloo bloo, etc!''

Cornbread78

THIS.

Ok, so as long as your version is just as good everyone else shouldn't care? Dude, you're on a gaming forum, not AOL or Yahoo, damn. We care! Think for a minute on how gimping versions is bad for the industry and why people are pissed.

THIS.
It's a video game forum. All problems here would be first world problems, similar shit posts from people who say this to discount the issue. It's perfectly fine if people get pissed because a dev is not going to utilize a game fully so they can appease a company who didn't make a console as strong as its competitor, especially since this didn't happen last generation.

Calmine

While I'm annoyed by it. I hope its 1080p 30fps at least other wise it will be pissing xbone holding it back like Ass Creed.

Top Bottom