• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Knight PC re-release Oct. 28th

And it'll still be $59.99, and no compensation will be given for the wait. We should all be thankful it got fixed at all, really. That's their gift to us.

It's really not a very good game, so I don't think they've missed out on much this whole time.

I loved it. Second best game in the series behind Asylum.

Phinor

Played it and beat it back at original release.

I did that as well. For me the biggest problem, even bigger than the technical issues because I didn't have any major issues, is that I barely remember playing AK. Arkham Asylum and City were both great but AK didn't innovate enough, it was even more of the same with a car that wasn't implemented very well. Not bad, but not very memorable either.

Even more glad I refunded my season pass from GMG though it's still active on my account, I imagine it'll finally be deactivated by the 28th.

SURGEdude

A game in a shippable state is all we are entitled to ask for.

The contract is clear, I don't believe WB "owe" us anything aside from a working product in exchange for a sum of money.

Owe? Sure. But this has been a huge PR black eye so they should have offered something. Lucky they have a few brave souls like you to set their customers straight about how little they care about us.

Kezen

Banned
Owe? Sure. But this has been a huge PR black eye so they should have offered something. Lucky they have a few brave souls like you to set their customers straight about how little they care about us.
They do care, as evidenced by this re-release. Not caring would have meant not bothering to fix the game at all, or even not to make a PC version.

Manifestly there is profit to be made on the PC platform and they do care about their potential customers.

dex3108

They do care, as evidenced by this re-release. Not caring would have meant not bothering to fix the game at all, or even not to make a PC version.

Manifestly there is profit to be made on the PC platform and they do care about their potential customers.

No they had to fix it or they were risking huge lawsuit.

KingV

They offered a full refund. If they offered a season pass then what do the original season pass holders get? A refund was enough. I dont understand this logic at all.

And then there are the many people that got it for "free" with their graphics card.

No refund for them.

Mifec

Finished it last month with the first patch, the game is far from awesome, the story is so bad it drags the whole game down too much.

CHC

Yeah yeah yeah DLC is good, but it's kind of worrying they haven't said anything about fixing bugs that have persisted since the initial, disastrous PC launch.

Azzanadra

I actually got it for free when I got my GTX 970, so its been in my Steam library ever since. At least I did not feel like my money was wasted :p How is Arkham Knight in general, though? I was never a crazy fan of the series, But I did play and enjoy City and Asylum, so can I expect a reasonably enjoyable experience?

pahamrick

I love people saying that WB's compensation was the ability to refund, when SimCity was completely broken at launch for weeks (weeks, not months mind you) people were able to refund and EA offered a free game as compensation.

Kezen

Banned
I hope they optimize the VRAM usage a bit.

What's wrong with the current VRAM usage ? It uses as much as you give it, like any well optimized software should. It uses all my GPU's 4gb of video memory and quite a lot of system memory as well but if I have some hardware ressources to spare the game might as well use them.

So wait. Are they fixing it or are they just re-releasing it broken with all the DLC?
Jury's not out yet on the "fixed" part but they're re-releasing the game and making available the entire DLC stack, for those willing to pay for it of course.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A game in a shippable state is all we are entitled to ask for.

The contract is clear, I don't believe WB "owe" us anything aside from a working product in exchange for a sum of money.
Thank you. Those who bought the game at launch should get something, but those who never bought it aren't entitled to anything. If you've waited this long and are unhappy about the price why not wait until it's cheaper?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love people saying that WB's compensation was the ability to refund, when SimCity was completely broken at launch for weeks (weeks, not months mind you) people were able to refund and EA offered a free game as compensation.
EA did more than they were required to. That doesn't mean WB is entitled to do the same.

Kezen

Banned
Thank you. Those who bought the game at launch should get something, but those who never bought it aren't entitled to anything. If you've waited this long and are unhappy about the price why not wait until it's cheaper?

To be fair I don't see how even those who got the game at launch should be entitled to anything, if they want a refund they could get one (aside from free copies..).

I would not say no to free content of course but I don't feel "cheated" considering I could easily have gotten my game refunded. I chose not to, because I liked the game very much in spite of its unpredictable performance.

pahamrick

EA did more than they were required to. That doesn't mean WB is entitled to do the same.

Course not, but considering how they also went out of their way to remove the Steam pre-order bonuses from the Nvidia promo copies mere hours before the game launched on Steam even so much as a free DLC or something would have gone a long way towards some good will.

Let's look at it this way, of the three major launch fuck ups that I can recall from the past two years:

EA: SimCity - Free Game

Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed Unity - Free DLC for Base Game Holders, Free Game for Season Pass Owners

WB: Arkham Knight - Game is coming back out, DON'T FORGET TO BUY THE SEASON PASS!

Which of these do you think is going to garner the least good will? Considering every thread for this game I see, either here or reddit or elsewhere, there's always the same basic flow which ends in "What, no compensation? Give me a break." You could argue it as being gamer entitlement, of course.

As for me? I'll be far more likely to put more of my money towards an EA or even Ubisoft game in the future versus a WB published one, is all.

-Edit-

Oh, I forgot Mortal Kombat X. Another WB published game with a less than stellar PC port at launch. That said though, when a patch was released that killed people's saves, Netherrealm gave out the DLC unlocker for free to make up for it.

Corpekata

Banned
What's wrong with the current VRAM usage ? It uses as much as you give it, like any well optimized software should. It uses all my GPU's 4gb of video memory and quite a lot of system memory as well but if I have some hardware ressources to spare the game might as well use them.

Jury's not out yet on the "fixed" part but they're re-releasing the game and making available the entire DLC stack, for those willing to pay for it of course.

It's not using it like it shouild. It uses up all your resources but gets no benefit from it whether it is using 6 GB or 4 GB of VRAM. Given the widespread stuttering people have had, VRAM swapping is very likely the cause, especially on 970s with their 3.5 issues.

Well optimized software does not use as much as you give it, otherwise like every game on the planet is not well optimized. No other games use as much VRAM by default. You'd need to downsample most games from like 4k to get them to hog as much as Batman does.

Red Hood

Banned
I've only read the OP so apologies if I'm unaware, but so there won't be any compensation whatsoever for current PC owners? Like, none at all?

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Not too surprised by their lack of anything for people who bought the game. This is the same publisher that decided to focus on DLC for arkham origins than fixing the game.

Sami+

Pretty gross that this isn't free for people who already bought the game

I also still feel salty and ripped off for buying this game on PS4, couldn't even get through the main story. Hated it

Arkham Episodes Story Packs
• Batgirl: A Matter of Family
• Red Hood Story Pack
• Harley Quinn Story Pack
• GCPD Lockdown starring Nightwing

Is that's all the DLC story content for the game, or is there more coming?

Kezen

Banned
It's not using it like it shouild. It uses up all your resources but gets no benefit from it whether it is using 6 GB or 4 GB of VRAM. Given the widespread stuttering people have had, VRAM swapping is very likely the cause, especially on 970s with their 3.5 issues.
Before the patch the game would periodically stutter with the "normal" textures, but after the September patch no stuttering with the high texture option in my case. So VRAM usage has been optimized, I tested the game on a single 970 and no stuttering so as long as you select the right texture setting "normal".
It's totally possible the game does not benefit from 6gb at 1080p without it being unoptimized.

Well optimized software does not use as much as you give it, otherwise like every game on the planet is not well optimized. No other games use as much VRAM by default. You'd need to downsample most games from like 4k to get them to hog as much as Batman does.
Lords of the Fallen use 4+gb of VRAM to cache textures, like AK I suppose.

Thanks.

I'm the worst with this game. It was a total disaster on PC but since the patch I've been playing it non stop. And I'm actually considering the season pass if there's more good story content coming.

They so have me by the balls when it comes to the Arkham games.

Blitzhex

I'm using semi high settings and have a lot of headroom on increasing graphics options, as the game only uses about 50% gpu on my 970gtx at a 30 fps lock @ 3440x1440, but the vram is riding along 3.6gb. The problem here is the 970's vram issue, but no other game currently uses this much vram on my card, even at this resolution, except for Assassin's Creed Unity.

Kezen

Banned
I'm using semi high settings have a lot of headroom on increasing graphics options as the game only uses about 50% gpu, on my 970gtx at a 30 fps lock @ 3440x1440, but the vram is riding along 3.6gb. The problem here is the 970's vram issue, but no other game currently uses this much vram on my card, even at this resolution, except for Assassin's Creed Unity.
Actually there are games which use as much VRAM as you have and I consider that a very good thing, Lords of the Fallen, Shadow of Mordor.

Blitzhex

Actually there are games which use as much VRAM as you have and I consider that a very good thing, Lords of the Fallen, Shadow of Mordor.

Oh yeah SoM is one. I haven't actually tested if Arkham Knight stutters when riding near the vram cap, but it doesn't stutter at 3.6gb so far and I've been wary of increasing the graphics. Going to test it out right now.

Kezen

Banned
Wasn't that confirmed bs? Ultra textures were said to require 6gb but apparently people with 2gb were running it fine.
2gb with ultra textures ? I find this hard to believe. "Ultra" require between 4-6 depending on the scene.

Oh yeah SoM is one. I haven't actually tested if Arkham Knight stutters when riding near the vram cap, but it doesn't stutter at 3.6gb so far and I've been wary of increasing the graphics. Going to test it out right now.
Chances are it will.

Some people waited more than 2 weeks to see if they will fix game and Steam didn;t allow some of them to refund their purchase.

Also while we are not entitled to anything it would be nice gesture to make up for this huge f-up by them. To show that they care.

By them releasing the game in the state that it was kinda proves that they don't care.

AEREC

Cant believe there's no compensation for people who bought it on launch day.

I cant complain too much as it came with my video card (along with Witcher 3) and Newegg later gave people (including myself) copies of MGSV to make up for the Arkham Knight debacle.

Top Bottom