• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins PC [Team Green] Exclusive Features (video)

REV 09

looks fantastic. will probably run like ass though. it's amazing how these current gen games truly look next gen on pc.

AC4 also looked better to me than the next gen versions.

dEvAnGeL

I need to know whether this game is worth buying.

Someone halp

looks the same as past games and for that alone is worth buying, a lot of people were worried because rocksteady was not the team behind this game but with a foundation as strong as this one tech wise and gameplay wise you would really have to try really hard to fuck things up

so... whats the bulletpoint difference between this and the last one?

I know there are martial artists enemy types and a just cause 2 grapple gun. anything else?

What does your heart tell you?

My heart told me to preorder Aliens: Colonial Marines so we're no-longer on speaking terms.

looks the same as past games and for that alone is worth buying, a lot of people were worried because rocksteady was not the team behind this game but with a foundation as strong as this one tech wise and gameplay wise you would really have to try really hard to fuck things up

But do we have real impressions yet?

Can't wait till 6 mos. after release for these features to be optimized and work as they should. AC ran pretty poorly at launch with Tesselation. My 680 has more than enough juice for this, hopefully we'll see this optimized at release.

Derrick01

Banned

Someone halp

Seems like if you liked AC you have a strong chance of at least kind of liking this. It's being led by the Hulk Ultimate Destruction/Prototype guy and they're aiming to expand some of the weaker elements of the series a bit like investigations while keeping the rest at the level Rocksteady had it.

Plus it's steamworks so you can wait for a good GMG code and get it for $37 like I did.

Irobot82

Huh tress fx works very well on my nvidia card in tomb raider

I think he means, TressFX only happends on AMD Gaming Evolved titles. Like PhysX shows up on TWIMTBP titles. The difference being NV can run TressFX b/c it's not a stupid closed system.

so... whats the bulletpoint difference between this and the last one?

I know there are martial artists enemy types and a just cause 2 grapple gun. anything else?

Bigger city.
Thru trailer, it seems that WB Mont. is doing a good job with map design (a lot of Gotham/DC Universe detail).
New/good old villain that haven't been in the game.
Improve animation (that what I see, not really sure).
Wayne/Alfred relationship.
Batman/Gordon relationship.
Harvey Dent as Gotham DA (hinted).
New gadgets other than JC2 grapple gun
(shock gloves has been teased)

Also there is a gameplay video before the firefly battle:

The first thing I do when I play a game with Physx is shut it off immediately...

The only game that I left all that stuff on for was Mirror's Edge because they worked it in fantastically. Looks jank as hell in practically every other game, including the previous Batman games.

Seems like if you liked AC you have a strong chance of at least kind of liking this. It's being led by the Hulk Ultimate Destruction/Prototype guy and they're aiming to expand some of the weaker elements of the series a bit like investigations while keeping the rest at the level Rocksteady had it.

Plus it's steamworks so you can wait for a good GMG code and get it for $37 like I did.

I'm eyeing it on GMG already, I think I can get it 40 at the moment. Not sure if I can be arsed waiting for an extra 2.50 discount. But I've been holding off specifically because I didn't know if it was going to be junk. I did enjoy AC.

REV 09

The first thing I do when I play a game with Physx is shut it off immediately...

The only game that I left all that stuff on for was Mirror's Edge because they worked it in fantastically. Looks jank as hell in practically every other game, including the previous Batman games.

i think they over do it with the particles. too many leaves and flying newspapers. i wish physx was more subtle...that's when it works best. i also wish i could toggle each of these features on or off.

But will it actually work on day 1 this time? DX11 ran at 0fps for a while even with the unnecessary 2 week delay.

Wasn't it a month delay, followed by a one week delay that they didn't bother to announce (because they're ass holes)? I thought people just noticed the release date changed on Steam, WB/Rocksteady never said anything about it, original release date came and went at which point we knew it really was delayed? Then of course DX11 was completely broken.

That's how I recall it all playing out at least.

pa22word

Someone halp

Did you like Arkham City + do you want more with some minor improvements to the formula here and there plus a seemingly more coherent story?

If yes then I'd say it is. If not I'd stay away. Based on everything we've seen this game is screaming to be the BioShock 2 of the Arkham series, except imo there's really no reason for people to bitch on the story side of things due to it lacking "the creator" considering it's Batman and the series kinda thrives on continuous alternate takes on the story anyways. Not to mention the plot of AC was a complete fucking mess anyways, so maybe someone else taking a crack at it with (hopefully) an ounce of self control might result in a better game overall.

EDIT: Granted, I was able to snag it for basically nothing due to GMG code and credit shenanigans, so it's pretty much totally about what your feelings are on spending whatever it's currently priced for "A more polished AC and a seemingly more coherent story". If that's 40$, then I'd say go right on ahead. If you thought AC filled you up with enough batman goodness to wait out till Rocksteady's Arkham 3, then I'd say just go ahead and wait on that and get this at a discount down the line or whatever.

Will a GTX 760 run these effects well at 1080p/60fps, based on games with similar effects? I'm assuming not but it'd be cool since that's the card I'm getting in October most likely..

Derrick01

Banned
I'm eyeing it on GMG already, I think I can get it 40 at the moment. Not sure if I can be arsed waiting for an extra 2.50 discount. But I've been holding off specifically because I didn't know if it was going to be junk. I did enjoy AC.

Yeah I haven't seen too much of the game but it seems like they're going to play it safe with minor changes to things like combat and enemy types and change stuff that was useless in the other games like the investigations.

I'm interested in seeing how they plan on tackling the Riddler challenges and combat/predator rooms. I wonder if they're going to do the same thing as AC or maybe add another element to it.

Wasn't it a month delay, followed by a one week delay that they didn't bother to announce (because they're ass holes)? I thought people just noticed the release date changed on Steam, they never said anything about it, original release date came and went at which point we knew it really was delayed? Then of course DX11 was completely broken.

That's how I recall it all playing out at least.

Probably, it was a huge mess. Came with 3 different types of DRM too (Steam, GFWL, Securom).

pixlexic

Banned
Will a GTX 760 run these effects well at 1080p/60fps, based on games with similar effects? I'm assuming not but it'd be cool since that's the card I'm getting in October most likely..

Not sure but I know a 770 can run AC at 1080 with everything maxed easily .. This shouldn't be any more than that game.

Well I just preordered for 40 after I realized the Aussie dollar had made a slight recovery vs US dollar and am afraid it's only temporary.

I'm interested in seeing how they plan on tackling the Riddler challenges and combat/predator rooms. I wonder if they're going to do the same thing as AC or maybe add another element to it.

I don't mind if they change the Riddler stuff, but I hope they do less of it. I finished it all in AA but there was just too much in the sequel.

As long as I can get console quality performance while using the extra goodies I'll be happy enough. I might save up for a 770 instead though. Thanks.

Well the current gen performance of AC games has been terrible, especially on PS3 (sub 30fps). The 'next-gen' versions are supposed to be 60fps but we will have to wait and see about that. If you have a decent PC it's almost certainly going to be the superior version, though the Vita connectivity is a big plus for the PS4 if you're into that

Zornack

So should I just bite the bullet and get two 780s?

I'm planning to upgrade my rig for 1440p gaming and was waiting to see what AMD had for sale this October, but all the games I'm interested in have these deals with Nvidia so it seems like I should just go their card.

FLAguy954

- TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive)
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive)
- Nvidia’s new DOF technique (???)
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive)

Why the fuck do we still have to deal with all of this proprietary shit? At least Tress FX is based on the an open standard which works on both cards...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive)
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive)
- Nvidia’s new DOF technique (???)
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive)

sweet. my new 780 is ready for this.

hoping for Batffleck fan made skin as well.

As long as I can get console quality performance while using the extra goodies I'll be happy enough. I might save up for a 770 instead though. Thanks.

Well console performance would be 30FPS (I assume). A 670 and a decent CPU will certainly blow the 360/PS3 version away. You just won't be cranking PhysX and tessellation to the max and keeping 60FPS.

I had this pre-ordered on GMG months ago, because the Batman games are some of my favourite ever and, even if this doesn't live up to their quality, I'm still going to want it as soon as possible.

So far, though, what I've seen has been really promising. The lead designer on Arkham Origins was the director of Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which I absolutely loved, and the devs seem to be taking an 'if it ain't broke, etc etc' approach. They've added a couple of new enemy types to the fray (martial artists who'll counter your counters, and big armoured thugs who seem like a cross between Titans and Abramovicis), a few new gadgets (the JC2 tether, and more we've yet to see in action), and added a new section of Gotham to play around with in addition to the entirety of Arkham City (pre-sinking, because it's a prequel). The investigation segments are fleshed out, too; the Batcomputer constructs an augmented reality simulation of the crime that you can walk around in and scrub back and forth through. It sounds like they're really concentrating on the bossfights, too, with the Freeze bossfight from AC as their inspiration.

Really the only thing I haven't liked so far is the Shock Gloves we saw in some Gamescom footage. They're like the B.A.T. mode from the Wii U version of Arkham City, basically a Devil Trigger that makes Batman faster and stronger when you click the sticks. It lets Batman punch through riot shelds, stun batons and armour, so it's essentially just an 'I win' button that strips all the challenge out of the combat. I'm really hoping it's only there on Easy mode, or at least that it'll be disabled along with the Counter icons on the hardest difficulty.

Well console performance would be 30FPS (I assume). A 670 and a decent CPU will certainly blow the 360/PS3 version away. You just won't be cranking PhysX and tessellation to the max and keeping 60FPS.

That's perfectly fine by me, I probably won't even keep the advanced fluff on for any longer than to mess with it.

I did say 760 though, which from my understanding is less powerful than a 670. I might just splurge for the 770.

It should be fantastic, i didn't embrace the story of AC compared to the first game, but was still happy to plow through the game mechanics, enjoyed the boss fights and such.

Preferred it on pc over the console versions, but owning AA and AC across 360, ps3 and pc was a good excuse to play it over and over and over again.

Top Bottom