• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins PC [Team Green] Exclusive Features (video)

Sentenza

I need to know whether this game is worth buying.

Someone halp
I think I'll wait first impressions and possibly even a demo for this.
I can't exactly point my finger at the problem, but there's something slightly off in all those trailers I've seen so far that makes me a bit wary about this not being on par with the previous games.
More specifically I can't shake the impression that something about the smoothness of the combat system went lost in process.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Having the same feelings man, it isn't rocksteady and that's part of the problem.

And TXAA to me looks even worse then MSAA or SGSSAA for example even more washed out then FXAA.

Of all the post-process methods, SMAA is the pick of the bunch as far as my eyes are concerned, namely because it's comparable to FXAA in how well it reduces aliasing but manages to do its job without the texture blur associated with the latter.

Nokterian

Of all the post-process methods, SMAA is the pick of the bunch as far as my eyes are concerned, namely because it's comparable to FXAA in how well it reduces aliasing but manages to do its job without the texture blur associated with the latter.

SMAA or MSAA,but yeah for me it looks also better and sharper.

The definitive PC version will feature the following visual improvements:
- Soft Shadows
- TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive)
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive)
- Nvidia’s new DOF technique (???)
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive)
As well as the usual PC benefits: Higher resolution textures, smoother framerate, 1080p+ resolution, tessellation, etc...

That doesn't sound right. You are probably wrong.

Al I know you're fairly knowledgable on such things but my understanding was that SMAA (in its various iterations) really isn't similar to TXAA. Like, at all. TXAA seems heavily focused on on reducing aliasing artifacts caused by image motion.

Higher SMAA modes have a large temporal component similar to TXAA. THey do not have th e post resolve de-sharpening filter thing going though.

JaseC

That doesn't sound right. You are probably wrong.

It's not Nvidia-exclusive per se; although AMD has its own answer in the form of HDAO, either will work on the GPUs of the opposing manufacturer, but obviously HBAO is recommended for Nvidia GPUs and HDAO for AMD GPUs. If you have Far Cry 3, you can switch between them at leisure, although you may encounter some artefacting and presumably also a slight decrease in performance if you're using the the setting unintended for your card.

It's not Nvidia-exclusive per se; although AMD has its own answer in the form of HDAO, either will work on the GPUs of the opposing manufacturer, but obviously HBAO is recommended for Nvidia GPUs and HDAO for AMD GPUs. If you have Far Cry 3, you can switch between them at leisure, although you may encounter some artefacting and presumably also a slight decrease in performance if you're using the the setting unintended for your card.

But what we have here is HBAO+, not HBAO. nvidia claims it's radically different, and it should be the best looking AO technique developed so far and also have the best visuals/performance of all.

nvidia said:
To overcome these issues, NVIDIA’s Louis Bavoil has completely redeveloped and revamped Screen Space Ambient Occlusion to create HBAO+, a paradigm shift in the field of Screen Space Ambient Occlusion rendering. Its image quality far exceeds that of any other technique, it’s the first viable full-resolution AO option, the first to use DirectX 11 technology, the first to utilize new rendering processes, and the first to virtually eliminate flickering and artifacting.

Unless the option was unavailable in SC:Blacklist (I haven't followed the release of the game) for AMD cards or it performed poorly (compared to nvidia cards) there's no reason to believe it won't work just fine on Batman for both vendors. Or that it's exclusive.

JaseC

But what we have here is HBAO+, not HBAO. nvidia claims it's radically different, and it should be the best looking AO technique developed so far and also have the best visuals/performance of all.

Unless the option was unavailable in SC:Blacklist (I haven't followed the release of the game) for AMD cards or it performed poorly (compared to nvidia cards) there's no reason to believe it won't work just fine on Batman for both vendors. Or that it's exclusive.

Yes, I read the article. My point was that the HBAO family and HDAO are completely DX11-based and thus are not exclusive to either manufacturer, but there may be issues when running Nvidia/AMD's method on an AMD/Nvidia GPU as they were built with specific architectures in mind.

Same with ACIV and Watch Dogs, hopefully this is something that sticks around!

I was under the impression Ubi had stated ACIV would be out a few weeks after the console launch, maybe even December? If this has changed, I'll be a happy guy. Got a pre-order in for BF4 on that date instead right now, but I'd prefer ACIV if I get the choice.

Looking forward to Origins, only holding off on a pre-order because I'm waiting to see if GMG do another 25% off code soon.

Yes, I read the article. My point was that the HBAO family and HDAO are completely DX11-based and thus are not exclusive to either manufacturer, but there may be issues when running Nvidia/AMD's method on an AMD/Nvidia GPU as they were built with specific architectures in mind.

I did get you. Just saying since HBAO+ is supposed to be an entirely new thing it doesn't matter how HBAO behaved.

So anyone knows how did HBAO+ behave in SC:Blacklist on nvidia/AMD?

I did get you. Just saying since HBAO+ is supposed to be an entirely new thing it doesn't matter how HBAO behaved.

I was under the impression that HBAO+'s Compute usage made it actually run faster than some of the other technqiues whilst looking quite a bit better.
Not sure how it runs on AMD. Certainly some people on GAF have first hand XP.

Worked completely fine with on my nvidia card, I was able to run Blacklist everything max settings bar putting TXAA down at x2 instead of x4. 1080p with a 770.

JaseC

Of course it does. The effect isn't going to be Nvidia-exclusive when, like its predecessor, it's entirely based upon DX11 and doesn't utilise proprietary technology to achieve the results (i.e. CUDA).

HBAO+ on:

HBAO+ off:

Edit: Added another image for comparison.

iNvid02

i have fond memories of arkham city at launch

not. hope to god this runs better straight out the gate

Worked completely fine with on my nvidia card, I was able to run Blacklist everything max settings bar putting TXAA down at x2 instead of x4. 1080p with a 770.

The director stated it would come a few weeks later but then Ubisoft came around and said they still had it planned to launch on the 31st of October. Still very possible for it to be delayed I suppose, here's to hoping not!

The director stated it would come a few weeks later but then Ubisoft came around and said they still had it planned to launch on the 31st of October. Still very possible for it to be delayed I suppose, here's to hoping not!

Nice find! That's awesome, I hadn't seen that reported anywhere. Really looking forward to roaming the high seas and searching for buried treasure. hopefully there's a more piratey uniform for the main character that can be unlocked. Day 1 for sure!

JaseC

History is going to repeat itself, isn't it?

Ubi on AssCreed 3's PC release date (March 2012):
GameSpy: So when's the PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: October 30th.

GameSpy: Yeah, but when's the real PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: It's October 30th.

GameSpy: Uh huh. And can you say that with a straight face?

Ubisoft PR: You can ask me as many times as you like, but the answer will be the same.

GameSpy: Very well, let's move on. So, when will you announce the delay of the PC version?

Ubisoft PR: ...

Ubi on AssCreed 3's PC release date (August 2012):
I find this all terribly amusing. Ubisoft confirmed this morning that Assassin's Creed 3 will hit PC on November 20 -- three weeks after its console release (Nov. 23 in the UK). Shocker, I know. The delay isn't the amusing part, the fact that Ubisoft has repeatedly denied the PC version would ship sometime after its console brethren is what makes me chuckle.

velociraptor

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PC-Features.jpg

The definitive PC version will feature the following visual improvements:
- Soft Shadows
- TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive)
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive)
- Nvidia’s new DOF technique (???)
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive)
As well as the usual PC benefits: Higher resolution textures, smoother framerate, 1080p+ resolution, tessellation, etc...

Video Demonstration from PAX: http://www.twitch.tv//pax/b/455406939?utm_campaign=archive_embed_click&utm_source=www.dsogaming.com (Arkham Origins segment begins 36:20)

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was also demonstrated on PC and a few details were released as well...
- 4k textures on PC version
- TXAA support
Well that sucks. Nvidia only?

I find it odd that PC games have Nvidia exclusive features while the next-gen games are being made on AMD GPUs.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I find it odd that PC games have Nvidia exclusive features while the next-gen games are being made on AMD GPUs.

From what I've heard Nvidia is FAR more active in helping developers, pushing there features, and actually sending people out to show dev's how to use these things.

Atruvius

Black Ops 2 has TXAA and it looks really blurry. So AMD people aren't really missing out on that. I'd rather use FXAA than TXAA or rather just download SMAA injector.

That list is.. "wrong", I think. Only PhysX is really nvidia exclusive.

AFAIK TXAA requires specific nvidia hardware (eg a nvidia GTX460 canNOT enable it) so it's not fair to imply there's an artificial lock against AMD. There will be other types of AA to select for AMD or older nvidia cards.

In fact AMD cards have their own exclusive AA modes accessed through their drivers. One can't complain these aren't released for nvidia users; they are designed for AMD hardware. The only difference is that TXAA is accessed through the game menu, instead of through the nvidia drivers menu.

So here is the list "corrected":

- TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive) <- yes because it uses specific nvidia hardware, not an artificial lock
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive) <- yeah
- Nvidia&#8217;s new DOF technique (???) <- won't be exclusive
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive) <- wrong, it's not exclusive

Black Ops 2 has TXAA and it looks really blurry. So AMD people aren't really missing out on that. I'd rather use FXAA than TXAA or rather just download SMAA injector.

come on, no. TXAA is very heavy even for my GTX670, but this is the best solution in every condition, aliasing simply disappear and the detail is great.

Nocturno999

Most of these features are "nice to have" but I think most are superfluous and you'll do better by turning them off.

TXAA like FXAA, covers the jaggies with Vaseline and gives a very blurry look. 4K textures in AC4 is very nice though.

Most of these features are "nice to have" but I think most are superfluous and you'll do better by turning them off.

TXAA like FXAA, covers the jaggies with Vaseline and gives a very blurry look. 4K textures in AC4 is very nice though.

TXAA does not work like FXAA at all, but yes it does have a very blurry look, that's true.

But the truth is when I played Batman: AC with only dx9 and PhysX off it certainly made me think it was (and still is) the best looking UE3 game I've played! (BioShock: Infinite is somewhere around there as well).

So I am very excited for this, even if I don't have the horsepower to enable and max out every little graphic detail option.

I've never actually played a game with TXAA so I have't seen it, but can't the blur be countered by lumasharpen in SweetFX?

Works well when countering blur from SGSSAA atleast.

belmonkey

I've never actually played a game with TXAA so I have't seen it, but can't the blur be countered by lumasharpen in SweetFX?

Works well when countering blur from SGSAA atleast.

I did see a picture somewhere of Assassin's Creed 3 that compared TXAA to TXAA with sharpening, and it really did seem to bring back clarity.

Top Bottom