• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham delayed / no new release date

• Thread starter Deleted member 471617
  • Start date

Warablo

I would rather just buy a collection. Including Arkham Knight and Origins. This is a no buy for me. Especially since the port looks worse.

It would be nice to have all the dlc and wear the skins at the start. Glad that they seem to have included that.

HotHamBoy

Porting the game to a Unreal Engine 4 probably had a lot to do with it.
It probably would of been way easier to port the UE3 PC version with all settings maxed out to consoles.

But WHY change engines if it's going to look WORSE? It looks really bad, man. I would have rather just had 1080p60 straight ports of the PS360 version with anti-aliasing. Insane.

But WHY change engines if it's going to look WORSE? It looks really bad, man. I would have rather just had 1080p60 straight ports of the PS360 version with anti-aliasing. Insane.

they probably had 2 weeks to do the port, so they just had to dump in the lowest quality assets to get it running at an acceptable framerate :/

Bluth54

Probably some WB exec thought that "The first Arkham games on UE4" would be a good selling point for the game.

Wow, WB actually taking the initiative and making sure the product isn't a total train wreck like it seemed. Another reminder of how bad this port was looking:
7wQVAsM.jpg

gueIm13.png
That said, I highly doubt they're adding Origins because of the state they left that game in (they gave up on patching it at a certain point).

Neff

How does that even happen? *sigh*

At a guess, I'd say that the first two games' cutscenes aren't usable for a remaster since they were FMV, and that they don't exist in a higher resolution than 720p, so they're trying to recreate them in real time in 1080p, only they're not doing a great job of it.

I can appreciate that remasters and ports often have to make sacrifices and adjustments, even when going to theoretically more powerful hardware, but I was shocked by how bad the ports looked, and offering comparisons themselves really didn't do them any favours.

They should just continue whatever they're doing with this remaster and give Origins to Bluepoint since that's the only Batman game that truly deserves a remaster/rerelease.

zt2be4.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, WB actually taking the initiative and making sure the product isn't a total train wreck like it seemed. Another reminder of how bad this port was looking:

That said, I highly doubt they're adding Origins because of the state they left that game in (they gave up on patching it at a certain point).

What the hell?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Add in Origins and make it look better. I doubt that'll happen though.

Speaking of the PC versions, is there any way to add mods? Texture mods, extreme grasphic mods, etc?

Still shocked at the level of praise that Origins gets around here. Other then the boss fights, everything else about it was just a low quality carbon copy of Arkham City.

Despite my strong dislike for that game, I think it's lame to not include it. $50 is pretty damn pricey for two old games.

Spinky

...I swear to God, NeoGAF is the only place where Arkham Origins is a masterpiece.

Regarding the lack of support for that game, I'm pretty sure the multiplayer doesn't even work anymore because they stopped updating it or something. At least on PC. Not that anyone plays it anyway, but...

Neff

Still shocked at the level of praise that Origins gets around here. Other then the boss fights, everything else about it was just a low quality carbon copy of Arkham City.

Some people greatly prioritise story over gameplay and design in videogames these days. Origins' story was a significant step over Asylum and City, even if everything else (detective scenes and maybe character designs aside) was a significant step under.

ZeroX03

Banned

Despite my strong dislike for that game, I think it's lame to not include it. $50 is pretty damn pricey for two old games.

If we're including DLC, the Mr. Freeze fight is also a low quality carbon copy of Arkham City.

I don't thin I've ever played Arkham Origins. Is it as bad as people claim it is?

If you're about that gameplay, yes, it is that bad.

bunkitz

I don't think I've ever played Arkham Origins. Is it as bad as people claim it is?

Nope. It's my least-liked entry in the Arkham franchise because of the poor level and puzzle designs, bugs, and some other things, but it's not bad bad. It's like pizza. Even if it's not good, it's still kind of good. To me, it's got the best story, boss fights, character designs, and score. They introduced some cool things too, such as the Case File system (although they screwed it up with one little red triangle) and the Bat Cave.

Kinyou

Hope they can turn this into a proper graphical update now, but honestly we can probably be happy if they can achieve the same look as the UE3 games again.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I ain't buying shit from WB thanks to the cancellation of my Arkham Knight Batmobile CE. That left such a foul taste in my mouth simply because of how it was handled.

I don't think I've ever played Arkham Origins. Is it as bad as people claim it is?
I wouldn't say so. I think it's roughly on par with City, maybe just a tad beneath it, and I liked it a lot more than Knight (Asylum is still my fave).

But it just felt like an unnecessary stop-gap between City and Knight. It just didn't do enough new or different from City. I don't think that makes it a bad game in its own right, but its existence feels entirely redundant.

I'm seeing literally nothing that isn't actively worse in that comparison. Holy shit.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Good chance to do it right this time.

Regginator

Arkham Aslyum remastered looked amazing, but the Arkham City one looked terrible compared to their PS360/PC counterparts. It makes you wonder what exactly it is from AC that doesn't sit very well with UE4...

Yarbskoo

It looks worse in almost every possible way.

Someone needs to compare it to low settings on PC.

If Arkham Origins was the only Arkham game, it would be praised as the single greatest Batman game of all time... but unfortunately, it's not. It's a bloated expansion pack for City that was charged retail for... and never had all of the bugs fixed on it. That's the only reason it really gets hate... not that that isn't a good reason.

eshwaaz

That's my guess as well. The 360 version had a bug that erased your save file, and they never fixed it. If they didn't address such a huge problem at the time, I can't imagine they'd spend the time to address all the issues now.

I'm ok with this. I was itching for a remaster of these games on PS4, but not like this.

Really hoping they add Origins as doing so would guarantee a buy from me.

I enjoyed AO a lot, but they should do the other two justice first, before adding a third one to the collection.

Neff

No, it's a reasonably solid game.

It lacks the density, smarts and polish of Rocksteady's titles. It's rough around the edges, there's far fewer puzzles, it's buggy, and is by and large more repetitive then Asylum, City and Knight. But it does build on City's crime scene analysis mechanic significantly, and as is often mentioned, the story is very compelling, with novel twists on classic characters. The DLC is very good, although the Wii U version (the most polished version ironically) doesn't have it. Thing is, Rocksteady made such a good formula that even when someone else comes in without the experience or talent, a good game still comes out of it.

Yeah, it's decent. A fair 8 compared to the effortless 9s (and I'd even give Knight a 10) in the rest of the franchise.

No, it's a reasonably solid game.

It lacks the density, smarts and polish of Rocksteady's titles. It's rough around the edges, there's far fewer puzzles, it's buggy, and is by and large more repetitive then Asylum, City and Knight. But it does build on City's crime scene analysis mechanic significantly, and as is often mentioned, the story is very compelling, with novel twists on classic characters. The DLC is very good, although the Wii U version (the most polished version ironically) doesn't have it. Thing is, Rocksteady made such a good formula that even when someone else comes in without the experience or talent, a good game still comes out of it.

Yeah, it's decent. A fair 8 compared to the effortless 9s (and I'd even give Knight a 10) in the rest of the franchise.

Some people hate the tweaks to the combat, but as a vet of the first 2 the added challenge was very welcome in Origins. You had to relearn some of the timings and perform better in the base game, whereas the other two you could sort of sleep walk through them and only got tested in the challenge levels mostly.

Neff

Some people hate the tweaks to the combat, but as a vet of the first 2 the added challenge was very welcome in Origins. You had to relearn some of the timings and perform better in the base game, whereas the other two you could sort of sleep walk through them and only got tested in the challenge levels mostly.

I agree. I probably prefer Knight's combat now because it adds so much, but at the time, Origins was a real sink or swim moment on hard setting. The stricter timing for the counters alone and the faster pace of the fights in general was refreshing after Asylum and City.

enemy2k

This remaster looked really bad. It is a shame how bad WB has mismanaged the Batman games over the past couple years.

Top Bottom