• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The Brave And The Bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Sorry for a necro bump, but I'm just catching up on this thanks to Netflix. Fuck, it is awesome. The first few episodes were kind of iffy (although the episode with the Waynes getting shot was probably the saddest version in all Batman cartoons), it kicked into awesome around episode 8 or 9. Just straight up ludicrous.

I love episodes that have references to Adam West era, Batman89, The Dark Knight Returns, BTAS, and the 40s serials all within the span of about 2 minutes. I can't believe I didn't give this show a chance while it was on. It's probably the most fun of any DC cartoon ever put out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Been watching this recently because I'd heard good things about it.

Its really great so far. Some fun writing, excellent visual direction, a whole lot of creativity.

But man, fuck that Christmas episode. I did not see that coming. No wonder he's hung up on Christmas. The goddamn guilt there has to be there.

"Worlds Greatest Detective" mug is one of the most heartwarmingly saccharine things I've seen in ages though

G-Fex

Where's the episode where it shows him going into the alley with his parents then shows two flashes of light?

I had no idea they'd ever show that on a childrens cartoon.

The Technomancer

Where's the episode where it shows him going into the alley with his parents then shows two flashes of light?

I had no idea they'd ever show that on a childrens cartoon.
Same one I'm talking about I'm pretty sure. As cliche as it is "bratty kid hurts parents by not appreciating christmas present" hits me in the gut every time I see it, because I empathize with the parents so hard. Its just about the only sure-fire way to get an emotional reaction out of me actually.

Pau

Been watching this recently because I'd heard good things about it.

Its really great so far. Some fun writing, excellent visual direction, a whole lot of creativity.

But man, fuck that Christmas episode. I did not see that coming. No wonder he's hung up on Christmas. The goddamn guilt there has to be there.

"Worlds Greatest Detective" mug is one of the most heartwarmingly saccharine things I've seen in ages though
The best part of that episode is how Alfred re-gifts it. I love when Bruce appreciates Alfred as his parent. That man is a saint and probably the best parent in all of fiction. :3

The Technomancer

You know what I think I like most? I think I like what this represents (although it helps that its very good)

Sometimes Batman doesn't need to be an angsty tormented soul consumed with the pathological obsession with his parents deaths. sometimes Batman can be a hero who's powers are being clever and super rich who decides to have some *fun* with life

The original Batman cartoon was good at this as well. Yes it was more serious but it also showed Bruce having actual functional relationships with other people. Going out for dinner with Harvey Dent because Dent was his friend and thats what you do

Thought the recent bump was about the upcoming Blu-ray of Season 1 coming out. Definitely plan on picking that up and rewarding this awesome series. Hopefully they'll release Season 2 and 3, gotta see that Joe Chill episode.

My daughter and I have just discovered this on Netflix and she's obsessed with it now-it's replaced My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop for her. It's so great seeing all the random DC characters. Plastic Man and Blue Beetle rock.

I hope your daughter likes cliff hangers. I'm still mad that Netflix cut off their streaming in the middle of a two part episode in season two.

Sciz

I just caught up with the final few episodes of season 3, having missed them when they aired.

Son of a bitch made me cry, after sixty-five straight episodes of making me laugh.

Best Batman. Period.

I just caught up with the final few episodes of season 3, having missed them when they aired.

Son of a bitch made me cry, after sixty-five straight episodes of making me laugh.

Best Batman. Period.

It really does have one of the best closing monologues ever. Just amazing.

The Technomancer

Huh...I'm on the Sidekick episode in season 2. I'm kind of disappointed that after the excellent episode with Robin earlier that shows him off as being his own hero they've brought him and the others back as "sidekicks" again. Unless I missed something and this episode takes place "in the past" also

Huh...I'm on the Sidekick episode in season 2. I'm kind of disappointed that after the excellent episode with Robin earlier that shows him off as being his own hero they've brought him and the others back as "sidekicks" again. Unless I missed something and this episode takes place "in the past" also
My memory's a little rusty, but isn't that the episode where
Robin quits being Robin and becomes Nightwing?

The Technomancer

Okay the way they took down Starro was really clever, but I still feel like as a villain he felt kind of weak. I mean, like six zaps of lightning and he's dead? This is the guy being hyped up as the eater of worlds? No-one he conquered ever had a significant artillery or something?

Thought the recent bump was about the upcoming Blu-ray of Season 1 coming out. Definitely plan on picking that up and rewarding this awesome series. Hopefully they'll release Season 2 and 3, gotta see that Joe Chill episode.

Woah really? That's awesome! Outrageous!

Penguin

I wish Netflix would get with it and add the rest of the series, this is/was such a fun show.

It is weird to only have season 1 and for half the year now.

figured maybe roll it out later, but nope.

And don't think have done full season sets, just those half seasons!

The Technomancer

So do we actually get a good reason why Superman and Wonder Woman never show up? I mean, we get Aquaman all the time, Flash has shown up more then once, we're shown that Hal is off being some higher-up in the Corp, and I'm on the episode now where Martian Manhunter shows back up. Given that this show does seem to care somewhat about its own continuity and its connections to the DC comics universe is it going to turn out that Superman was off earth for years for some reason? Or when/if he does show up is it just going to be like "oh hey Supes"?

ReiGun

So do we actually get a good reason why Superman and Wonder Woman never show up? I mean, we get Aquaman all the time, Flash has shown up more then once, we're shown that Hal is off being some higher-up in the Corp, and I'm on the episode now where Martian Manhunter shows back up. Given that this show does seem to care somewhat about its own continuity and its connections to the DC comics universe is it going to turn out that Superman was off earth for years for some reason? Or when/if he does show up is it just going to be like "oh hey Supes"?
Not really. The show focuses on lesser known or appreciated characters, and trust that you won't ask why the big ones (namely Supes and Wondy) are never around because you'll like everyone else so much.

For what it's worth, when they do show up, the episodes are great.

Pachinko

I actually started watching this thanks to gaf, someone had linked to This and I decided I had to watch it.

I guess I should add that I enjoy it quite a bit... probably more than I should in fact. It's just the right mix of cheesy 60's batman and D list characters while somehow also having some pretty good moments that don't just rely upon high jinks.

They never say. DC has been known to lord over and tell the show runners who they can and can not use. For the longest time there was a really weird clause regarding TV rights for Wonder Woman where she can't be used unless she's in her own series or it's Justice League. Characters like Wonder Girl were also subject to this clause. They finally appear in Season 3 when I think DC stopped caring and were okay with it.

The Technomancer

Oh I'm definitely loving all of the other characters, especially Booster Gold, I'm just wondering why, in a show that cares as much as this one about being part of a coherent DC universe, there wasn't even a throwaway line explaining why Superman didn't feel Starro or Darkseid were threats worth helping with.

Pau

Oh I'm definitely loving all of the other characters, especially Booster Gold, I'm just wondering why, in a show that cares as much as this one about being part of a coherent DC universe, there wasn't even a throwaway line explaining why Superman didn't feel Starro or Darkseid were threats worth helping with.
Superman was too busy being a jerk.

(Best episode ever.)

And it's official! Season 1 Blu-ray is out November 5th!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-Brave-Bold-Season-1/19066

BatmanTheBraveAndTheBold_S1_BLU_f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom