• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan299

The fallout from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice continues to ripple through Warner Bros.

The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films. Current exec vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's CCO who successfully launched the comics label's foray into television, will co-run DC Films, according to multiple sources. Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Further executive changes are anticipated, including a potential hire at the senior level.

Berg was already working on BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League. He also is the conduit to Ben Affleck, having worked with the actor-filmmaker on Argo and Live By Night, the crime thriller Affleck recently wrapped as director, writer and star for the studio.

With Berg and Johns, Warners is attempting to unify the disparate elements of the DC movies with a seasoned film exec and a comics veteran that together can hopefully emulate the way Marvel Studios has produced its films under the vision of president Kevin Feige. But sources also say Warners still wants to remain filmmaker-driven. As part of the new job, Berg and Johns will become producers on the Justice League movies.

More @ The Hollywood Reporter. Lock if old.

shingi70

Banned
Hal Jordan and Barry Allen everywhere.

DC really needs a Feige and I wouldn't mind Johns leaving comics to do it.

Was just about to post this myself. Anyway, this can only be a good thing.

It's a shame that they set such a stupidly early production start date for Justice League; I have little doubt that Snyder would be gone if they'd had a few months to course-correct.

SimleuqiR

They are shooked.
WB should have taken their time to expand the Man of Steel universe...or completely rebooted supes in a new JL universe. Too little too late.

Trago

Hope it's not too little too late. Undoing the damage Batman v Superman did to their cinematic universe will be interesting to see.

HowZatOZ

Banned
With how successful the TV segment of DC has been it was only a matter of time before they realised that talent needed to be captured for the big screen.

ryan299

Some Suicide Squad info.

And the studio is working to smooth out the third act of Suicide Squad, its big August movie from director David Ayer that could change the perception of its DC line. The movie’s trailers have generated massive positive interest in the all-star actioner that features DC villains and the studio wants to make sure audiences’ expectations are not only met but exceeded.

Squad recently went under major additional photography (multiple sources say it was not to add humor) to clear up the issues. Sources say that it was Squad that escalated Johns’ involvement in DC movies and that he is involved in the movie’s post-production.

Boke1879

I don't see how this is too late for them. They have to do something and they need a couple of movies to turn around perception. If SS and WW hit then they are fine. JL1 can come and go and they'll just go from there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sounds like a confirmation of the rumour that the film is a mess.

It's a mess because they're still working on a movie that's not released yet?

Nothing in that quote makes the movie sound like a 'mess'.

ZeroX03

Banned
Johns knows what he's doing, Barry and Hal aside.

I'm happy WB is committed to filmmaker driven projects, it's riskier, but I don't want Marvel Studios 2.0 and I think there's potentional for higher highs even if it comes with lower lows.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I dont think we ever got a rumor that said the film was a mess, we got a rumor that they were reshooting to add more humor, which turned out to be wrong

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
DC right now:
773572.gif

They better be careful.This could hurt them financially in the long run.

And the studio is working to smooth out the third act of Suicide Squad, its big August movie from director David Ayer that could change the perception of its DC line. The movie’s trailers have generated massive positive interest in the all-star actioner that features DC villains and the studio wants to make sure audiences’ expectations are not only met but exceeded..

TONS of movies have third act problems. Generally a studio is willing to just roll with it but WB realizes that this is a chance to recover some of the ground they lost with BvS. That doesn't = a mess.

Maddocks

Better choices, thank goodness they are finally realizing Zack is in over his head, been saying it for 10 damn years.

Boke1879

DC right now:
773572.gif

They better be careful.This could hurt them financially in the long run.

Not making any changes could hurt them even worse. It's clear they are actually having some oversight. Said it before if BvS has to be the sacrificial lamb then so be it.

MisterHero

WITHOUT DEBATING THE CRITICAL RECEPTION OF RELEASED DC MOVIES

Deadpool came out of X-Men Origins

so. To those who possess the Great Power, all things are possible.

11419093_160739554284pqu6g.jpg

Johns knows what he's doing, Barry and Hal aside.
the last thing he did to Superman was to give him the power to explode

Yup. This could prove to have been a fatal mistake.

At the very least, it's not too late to change the production schedules for Flash and Aquaman, which would currently leave them no time to course-correct based on how those characters are received in Justice League. Or probably even in Wonder Woman, which is the first real test of whether a film as widely disliked as BvS can nonetheless launch a viable spinoff (Suicide Squad, IMO, is distinct enough that it's less likely to be affected).

Anyway, we can only hope that whichever WB execs looked at MoS' highly polarized reception and decided it was a good idea to put Snyder in charge of an entire on-screen DCU, with an absurdly aggressive production schedule no less, are being kept far away from any future DC films.

Malvingt2

I was looking forward to SS but after BvS... I rather wait for the movie to hit cable... same for the rest of the coming movies.

J_Viper

But critics and fans ripped into the first pic and especially Snyder for perceived missteps, including its heroes' unheroic behavior and the dark tone

This triggers me.

I never understood why "dark tone" is considered a negative. Why is that not allowed?

pestul

Yes, it's a major reshoot, but it's action related, setpieces are getting extended, likely.in the third act. Ayer confirmed they are making the film "bigger" because the suits are loving it.
Yeah, that's we what we all hope. And yeah Tom Dagnino does have sources, but like with all leaks anything is possible. They certainly have time, but remember the WB suits all gave BvS a standing ovation.

Anth0ny

This triggers me.

I never understood why "dark tone" is considered a negative. Why is that not allowed?

people just don't know how to articulate why they didn't like a movie and go straight to "too goofy" or "too dark".

but if they were smart they'd delay Justice League a bit and replace Snyder. legitimately amazed they're still going forward with justice league as planned after the disaster that was bvs.

Yeah, that's we what we all hope. And yeah Tom Dagnino does have sources, but like with all leaks anything is possible. They certainly have time, but remember the WB suits all gave BvS a standing ovation.

He implied people should readjust their excitement because it's bad like Fury or some stupid shit like that on the SchmoesKnow show.

but if they were smart they'd delay Justice League a bit and replace Snyder. legitimately amazed they're still going forward with justice league as planned after the disaster that was bvs.

Cause preproduction was done and everyone was available. If you delay it, you now have to rework the shooting schedule and everyone involved. These actors are doing more than just JL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom