• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Lmao you don't think kids know Superman?

Honestly, who knows? I mean, they'll likely know of him, but enough to be excited and want to see a movie?

With Marvel, the mere mention of a hero like Iron Man is going to get a kid hyped. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I'd have LOVED a trailer tonight, it was not to be. Even a 10 second teaser would've done.

Penguin

Batman is the only thing the general public cares about, DC wise. A teaser would make waves, especially in a market Marvel dominates in.

It's a good thing this movie has Batman in it then! :p

I honestly don't think people will care a year out

We'll get something by month's end for sure, but expect it to be a glorified teaser
I imagine they have two teasers

One from Batman's PoV
One from Superman's PoV and those will be the first two things we see until like San Diego or whatever.

And near the end of the year, I imagine the whole marketing cycle will begin.

IconGrist

Honestly, I don't think a lot of kids will know who Superman is. The reason these kids LOVE Marvel is because of the movies.

A Marvel movie can be bleh and make tons and tons of money and have everyone and their mother go see it.

DC? Not so much. Man of Steel, I enjoyed, but a LOT did not. Green Lantern was terrible, the Batman movies were great but Nolan wouldn't allow the universe to be built within it with Supes/WW, etc which really hurt them IMO

What the hell did I just read? Kids don't know Superman? The second most well known character in the world? Fucking Superman???

Lashley

It's a good thing this movie has Batman in it then! :p

I honestly don't think people will care a year out

We'll get something by month's end for sure, but expect it to be a glorified teaser
I imagine they have two teasers

One from Batman's PoV
One from Superman's PoV and those will be the first two things we see until like San Diego or whatever.

And near the end of the year, I imagine the whole marketing cycle will begin.

I hope this happens.

Honestly, who knows? I mean, they'll likely know of him, but enough to be excited and want to see a movie?

With Marvel, the mere mention of a hero like Iron Man is going to get a kid hyped. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I'd have LOVED a trailer tonight, it was not to be. Even a 10 second teaser would've done.

What's with this harping on kids anyway? It's a movie not a toy line. This is going to be aimed as much at teens and young adults.

Lashley

What's with this harping on kids anyway? It's a movie not a toy line. This is going to be aimed as much at teens and young adults.

You aim a movie at kids if you want to push toys, merch, etc

Especially when its a "family movie"

Why do you think the Marvel movies are light and include humor, etc

You aim a movie at kids if you want to push toys, merch, etc

Especially when its a "family movie"

Why do you think the Marvel movies are light and include humor, etc

The movies have wide appeal, which is why they are so successful. You make it sound like these are Minion movies or something. People know who Superman is. The audiences WB is going after know who superman is. This isn't some movie aimed at kindergarteners.

Lashley

The movies have wide appeal, which is why they are so successful. You make it sound like these are Minion movies or something. People know who Superman is. The audiences WB is going after know who superman is. This isn't some movie aimed at kindergarteners.

I'm not meaning to.

I just think DC should hype the hell out of this, since this is going to be their "big movie" before Justice League. Have everyone talking about it, tonight would've been an ideal time for a 30 second teaser. Internet would be talking about it for weeks.

WB and Young Justice would like a word with you...

Young Justice is a whole 'nother thing. Not only are the standards that apply to action cartoons and multimillion dollar blockbusters pretty radically different, YJ also suffered from the Cartoon Network head (at the time) actively trying to kill off its cartoon lineup.

Guy Legend

Honestly, I don't think a lot of kids will know who Superman is. The reason these kids LOVE Marvel is because of the movies.

A Marvel movie can be bleh and make tons and tons of money and have everyone and their mother go see it.

DC? Not so much. Man of Steel, I enjoyed, but a LOT did not. Green Lantern was terrible, the Batman movies were great but Nolan wouldn't allow the universe to be built within it with Supes/WW, etc which really hurt them IMO
Wait...what - Superman? Lol

I'm not meaning to.

I just think DC should hype the hell out of this, since this is going to be their "big movie" before Justice League. Have everyone talking about it, tonight would've been an ideal time for a 30 second teaser. Internet would be talking about it for weeks.

They are going to hype the movie. Are you under the impression that they aren't? Is today like the only chance they have to show a trailer over the next 14 months? I mean I get wanting to see it we all would want to see as much as we can of this movie, but to jump from that to this "WB is fucking up!" is irrational.

Penguin

I'm not meaning to.

People are going to be talking about it whenever it hits

Good or bad

Star Wars, Jurassic World, Terminator, Avengers all had their debuts outside of the Superbowl and had some of the most watched and discussed trailers of last year

Not sure why this would be any different

Lashley

They are going to hype the movie. Are you under the impression that they aren't? Is today like the only chance they have to show a trailer over the next 14 months? I mean I get wanting to see it we all would want to see as much as we can of this movie, but to jump from that to this "WB is fucking up!" is irrational.

I just think today would've been their best opportunity to hype the general audience. As a lot of people who will go see the movie mightn't even know it's being made.

EDIT: Maybe it's just up where I live in the UK, but I never hear kids mention Superman. They always mention Marvel heroes and sometimes Batman.

(This is in the schoolyard when I take/pick up my nephew or when he's amongst friends. I'm not a predator)

I just think today would've been their best opportunity to hype the general audience. As a lot of people who will go see the movie mightn't even know it's being made.

EDIT: Maybe it's just up where I live in the UK, but I never hear kids mention Superman. They always mention Marvel heroes and sometimes Batman.

(This is in the schoolyard when I take/pick up my nephew or when he's amongst friends. I'm not a predator)

That's what they all say.

So the Super Bowl 13 months before the movie comes out would be a better opportunity to hype the movie than, say, next years Super Bowl which will be one month before release?

Penguin

On the kid's front, I think DC has some interesting movement on that front with their LEGO movies... their new line of animated series/shorts... Batman Unlimited and DC Superheroes....

It's the mid-range like teens and tweens that may be slightly out of the loop

Lashley

So the Super Bowl 13 months before the movie comes out would be a better opportunity to hype the movie than, say, next years Super Bowl which will be one month before release?

This year for a teaser

Next year for a full blown trailer

EDIT:

On the kid's front, I think DC has some interesting movement on that front with their LEGO movies... their new line of animated series/shorts... Batman Unlimited and DC Superheroes....

It's the mid-range like teens and tweens that may be slightly out of the loop

Actually, thats a great point. I'd completely forgotten about their lego movies and the lego batman spinoff and their animation movies and tv shows are fantastic too.

This year for a teaser

Next year for a full blown trailer

EDIT:

Actually, thats a great point. I'd completely forgotten about their lego movies and the lego batman spinoff and their animation movies and tv shows are fantastic too.

Or later this year for a teaser?
It's not the only chance they are going to have to build legit hype for this movie. Very few (if any?) ads today were for products that were over a year away from release and there's a very good reason for that. Batman/Superman trailer is going go break the 'net no matter what day it's released.

Tonguer

Lol wtf am I even reading.

I have a different perspective. I have two young kids and they absolutely know Superman; I can't recall ever seeing a child not recognize him. Books. Comics. Cartons. Action figures. Video games. LEGOs. Halloween costumes. It's only been recently that kids seem to know the big Marvel heroes as well.

I'm glad they didn't expand nolanverse, they should always have stood alone.

Too grounded for a JL movie. Need that hellbat armor.

Yeah it is massively disappointing there wasn't a trailer but this movie still a year out. Makes zero sense to start promoting heavily, but damn it seems weird to have this film finished and have a year plus of post production.

Remember, they have to sell Jupiter Ascending tickets somehow

I don't think that's happening at this point.

I can't imagine WB saving the full trailer for 2016. It will be attached to Star Wars 7. Teasers will certainly be attached to Avengers 2 and Mad Max.

a916

If they wanted to sell tickets, they'd announce it though to get people in theatres. Otherwise they're hoping on the marketing of JA to bring people in to watch a teaser. Movie releases in 3 days.

Penguin

At the very least we'll have something meaty for BvS at Comic Con. Maybe at least a title card for Suicide Squad.

Things will be much more robust once Comic Con rolls around

Unlike last year, most of their cards are on the table. So I'll expect a big presence for BvS, but also expect Suicide Squad to be there

I doubt most of the cast will do it, but has to be easy enough to convince Jai Courtney to show up...

Things will be much more robust once Comic Con rolls around

Unlike last year, most of their cards are on the table. So I'll expect a big presence for BvS, but also expect Suicide Squad to be there

I doubt most of the cast will do it, but has to be easy enough to convince Jai Courtney to show up...

He's got nothing to preoccupy himself with. He'll be the best Sam Worthington cosplayer there.

Not a chance it'll be attached to Star Wars, a Disney-owned property. They'll probably attach it to 'Vacation' or 'In the Heart of the Sea'.

In a perfect world, it'd be attached with Avengers 2, but this is not a perfect world...

Penguin

I always felt hype-trains are weird concepts

Most people don't really plan their movie or games or anything weeks in advance, let alone months and years like some of us...

Though on that note, while not shocked there was no BvS teaser/trailer, not quite sure what the lack of Jupiter Ascending commercial says for Warner's confidence in it

Most people don't really plan their movie or games or anything weeks in advance, let alone months and years like some of us...

Though on that note, while not shocked there was no BvS teaser/trailer, not quite sure what the lack of Jupiter Ascending commercial says for Warner's confidence in it

I have seen little to nothing from Jupiter Ascending. It's gonna bomb hard. When all I see is from ads attached to YouTube videos, it's not a good sign.

MisterHero

but BvS was supposed to have a football scene
it was scrapped i think?

and cyborg plays football

where's my movie trailer dammit

Loxley

After Jupiter Ascending's poor showing at Sundance, I'm not sure anyone has any confidence in it.

Loxley

To be fair, premiering a film like that at Sundance is just about the dumbest thing WB have done so far regarding that campaign.

Yeah, I was pretty baffled by it. Reading various outlets' coverage of the festival and all-of-a-sudden Jupiter shows up out of nowhere.

BadAss2961

Some of you were still holding out hope for a SB teaser? Ha... No need for it this far out.

Word is we might be getting something really soon though.

Ashhong

Some of you were still holding out hope for a SB teaser? Ha... No need for it this far out.

Word is we might be getting something really soon though.

In one sentence you say theres no need for it and laugh at us for expecting it...and then you say the word is that it's coming soon. Ok..

If the trailer is going to be shipped out w/ Jupiter Ascending, that means it'll likely hit YouTube a couple days before. Maybe even Tuesday, when press/sneak screenings start happening.

Trailers don't sell movie tickets. Not like that, anyway.

BadAss2961

In one sentence you say theres no need for it and laugh at us for expecting it...and then you say the word is that it's coming soon. Ok..
Where did I contradict myself?

Just because there's a teaser on the way doesn't mean it'll air during the Super Bowl. That's a lot of money to spend on a teaser for a movie that's still over a year from release. Not to mention, we've also heard for the longest that there'd be no SB ad. I believe there was also a recent list of trailers that would air during the game, no BvS.

Not to mention, we've also heard for the longest that there'd be no SB ad. I believe there was also a recent list of trailers that would air during the game, no BvS.

Well yeah, but ispot.tv, tho!

People just wanted to believe really hard, and that overrode everything else that said otherwise, is all.

What's funny is that if there IS a teaser that's going out with Jupiter, then we'll probably get the teaser sometime before Friday anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom