• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
That whole month is going to be crazy. I think Batman/Superman, The Amazing Spider-Man 3, the Marvel movie, and X-Men Apocalypse are all being released back to back.

Blader

That whole month is going to be crazy. I think Batman/Superman, The Amazing Spider-Man 3, the Marvel movie, and X-Men Apocalypse are all being released back to back.

Everyone's hyping up summer 2015, but it's 2016 that's going to be packed to death. Superman/Batman, ASM 3, X-Men, two Marvel movies, Alice in Wonderland 2, How to Train Your Dragon 3, Apes 3, Finding Dory, Independence Day 2, etc. all in a three month span.

Everyone's hyping up summer 2015, but it's 2016 that's going to be packed to death. Superman/Batman, ASM 3, X-Men, two Marvel movies, Alice in Wonderland 2, How to Train Your Dragon 3, Apes 3, Finding Dory, Independence Day 2, etc. all in a three month span.

Okay? You guys act like people don't see more than one movie.

Blader

Hmm, hope they don't burn out Evans, I remember rumblings of Hemsworth not being pleased with going back to back on Thor-Avengers-Thor for three years.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Would be for the best. Why would you put your most ambitious film in any kind of danger? Competing directly with a Marvel movie will hurt both.

Damn. They are just ready to fucking go after the hype for Winter Soldier... Crazy, man.

Verendus

Banned
BWHAHAHA

not making yourself looking better than those "clowns", dude
No, I look infinitely better. I come into this thread looking for news, or updates, or something worthwhile, and I really don't want to see version one thousand of the same tired argument between what seem to be a bunch of folks who have an unnatural and unhealthy amount of love towards 'opposing' companies.

inm8num2

First sign? Marvel staked out the 5/6/16 date long before DC did.

I know - I meant the first sign of what that competition actually is. I guess WB tried to push Marvel to back down, but Marvel didn't flinch. Now they've revealed Captain America 3, it would be kind of silly of WB to move MoS 2 so quickly.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Hmm, hope they don't burn out Evans, I remember rumblings of Hemsworth not being pleased with going back to back on Thor-Avengers-Thor for three years.

He's taking a break from acting so the Marvel films will pretty much be the only things he does. He probably doesn't mind so much.

BadAss2961

Oh god, Marvel and DC fanboys. Why are you clowns shitting up this thread? I clicked on here to see if there is news and instead I actually see people dumb enough to think a Captain America movie or some Thor movie is going to be bigger than a movie which has Batman. Batman/Superman is guaranteed to make a minimum of a billion. It doesn't take a genius to see this. You guys are just as idiotic as the people who thought Avengers wasn't going to make around a billion and would do about $600 million neglecting the fact that 2 Iron Man movies had already done that alone. This is going to be Batman's return and his solo movies have been the most successful with two billion dollar entries. It's pretty damn obvious that Batman/Superman is going to steam roll whatever opens around it.
Looks like the Captain America crew didn't get the memo.

IconGrist

Someone should fax the memo right away. Cap 3 will do amazing but BvS will do better.

Cap 3 will be, what, Marvel's 8th or 9th movie by that point? Batman will have last been seen something like 4 years by the time BvS releases AND the sequel to a generally well received Superman movie by audiences AND be the first time the two will have ever been in live action cinema together. I just don't see how Cap 3 can best that.

Granted, it's very likely Cap 3 will be the better movie. I will say WB better know what they have at stake here. If Cap 3 is better received/does bigger at the BO than a fucking Superman/Batman movie they should just quit. They wouldn't, but they should.

Cap 3 will have a built in audience of everyone that was pleased with Cap 2.
If Cap 2 does better than Thor 2 numbers and closer to IM3 numbers, and Avengers 2 does anything close to or better than Avengers 1, then Cap 3 is the movie to beat, not the other way around. The built in audience with 12-13 movies preceding it carrying forward a connected storyline, riding off another possible Avengers bump coupled with massive HYPE after a highly successful sequel... the burden is on Batman vs Superman to overcome that.

The trailers will need to be on point as they will be scrutinized to death. The movie had to be better than just decent 6/10 because the fans will tear this a new one if it doesn't deliver.
Tension well be high and expectations even higher since this is the DC jumping off point of their Cinematic Universe and DC fans want that same thing us Marvel fans already have, and that is a cohesive universe for our favorite characters to coincide within together. Bring all our favorite comic characters & crossovers events to life.

So while some DC enthusiast feel everyone is stupid or idiotic for thinking Captain America 3 stands a chance against BvS, I think the ball is in DC's hands, but they are playing in Marvel's court.

There are still a lot of "ifs" that needed become "knowns" such as how well Cap 2 does and how Avengers 2 does, but based on general Hype and reviews, I still think DC is the one with something to prove.

BadAss2961

Cap 3 will have a built in audience of everyone that was pleased with Cap 2.
If Cap 2 does better than Thor 2 numbers and closer to IM3 numbers, and Avengers 2 does anything close to or better than Avengers 1, then Cap 3 is the movie to beat, not the other way around. The built in audience with 12-13 movies preceding it carrying forward a connected storyline, riding off another possible Avengers bump coupled with massive HYPE after a highly successful sequel... the burden is on Batman vs Superman to overcome that.
!

Marvel's going to hit fatigue at some point. I just hope they don't take the good comic book movies with them. :p

!

Marvel's going to hit fatigue at some point. I just hope they don't take the good comic book movies with them. :p

Considering how many genres you can do with the superheros alone. If Marvel is smart (and all indication points to yes till proven otherwise), they can create very diverse films within the MCU, from thrillers, action packed, mystery, SciFi, space opera etc.

Wiktor

Considering how many genres you can do with the superheros alone. If Marvel is smart (and all indication points to yes till proven otherwise), they can create very diverse films within the MCU, from thrillers, action packed, mystery, SciFi, space opera etc.

With most superheroes (at least the Earth-based ones) all you can do is action movies though. You can give them some slight flavor in one way or another, but in the end they're all will still be action movies.
Nobody will make $200 mln mystery movie with superhero.

With most superheroes (at least the Earth-based ones) all you can do is action movies though. You can give them some slight flavor in one way or another, but in the end they're all will still be action movies.

A mystery superhero movie doesn't need to have $200 mil budget, though. As it doesn't need a lot of flashy CG like the action ones.

ReiGun

Holy shit how had I never seen that before? That was pretty funny. If DC would get in on it too and also start playfully throwing jabs back the fans on both sides would go ape shit.

They should. Play into the fanboy wars. Let the fans do your advertising for you. Works for the video game industry.

Of course not. Because that'd be dumb.

You know, mid range budgets ($75mil-130mil) of superhero genres would be ideal. Have Marvel test the waters.

BadAss2961

They should. Play into the fanboy wars. Let the fans do your advertising for you. Works for the video game industry.
Nah... I thought the video was a little cringeworthy. For a studio that's doing very well, they sure are acting like #2. It's always the ones in 2nd place that talk the most.

LaNaranja

Nah... I thought the video was a little cringeworthy. For a studio that's doing very well, they sure are acting like #2. It's always the ones in 2nd place that talk the most.

I liked it. It was just mostly just Mackie having some fun. He is the same guy who has stated multiple times that he wanted to have Falcon in his traditional colorful costume. He and Sam Jackson are hardly the spokesmen of Marvel. It would be like Gal Gadot saying something and attributing it to Warner Bros studio on the whole.

Maddocks

yup. WB doesn't really have to say much. They doing something no one knew could happen. batman and superman on screen together being awesome. When batman and superman are standing side by side on top of a building, we will know they actually are doing it and not green screened together.

LaNaranja

yup. WB doesn't really have to say much. They doing something no one knew could happen. batman and superman on screen together being awesome. When batman and superman are standing side by side on top of a building, we will know they actually are doing it and not green screened together.

Wait what?

Superman

I'm hyped.
Surprisingly ;)
I'm also hyped for Cap 2. This is a good time to be a Superhero fan guys... DC or Marvel. Exciting times await! Let's embrace that and not let silly fanboy squabbles spoil anything.

Having seen what Mr Affleck has done recently with Argo... The Town & Gone, Baby Gone (I know he didn't act) I have no worries that he can play the part, and play it well. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't gross a billion dollars!

Anyway... I'll be subbed to this getting the news as it comes in.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Superman and Batman are the most iconic friendship in comic book history. They're not exactly breaking new ground here. If anything this should have happened years ago.

Every time this thread gets bumped, I think it's about the suits.

I'm hyped.
Surprisingly ;)
I'm also hyped for Cap 2. This is a good time to be a Superhero fan guys... DC or Marvel. Exciting times await! Let's embrace that and not let silly fanboy squabbles spoil anything.

In the next few years, I'll hopefully been lucky enough to have seen:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Multiple Avengers movies
Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman
Justice League
Dr. Strange
The Sinister Six
Venom (I remember hearing shit about that since the Raimi movies)
Ant-Man
Possibly Black Panther
Possibly Captain Marvel
Age of Apocalypse
Days of Future Past

Crazy times man.

MisterHero

putting Batman and Superman on screen together. I remember they wanted batman for Smallville, but couldn't happen. Not because they had no ideas, but because WB wouldn't allow it and they had some legal problems with it.
The Bat Embargo. IIRC someone behind the Nolan Batman movies didn't want any live-action crossovers while his movies were coming out. It also limited the Batvillains on Justice League, etc.

Batman now exists in Smallville Season 11 . I wonder how they would've handled him on the show though.

Tim Burton almost made it happen in the 90s but of course his Superman was cancelled.

Mariolee

The Bat Embargo. IIRC someone behind the Nolan Batman movies didn't want any live-action crossovers while his movies were coming out. It also limited the Batvillains on Justice League, etc.

Batman now exists in Smallville Season 11 . I wonder how they would've handled him on the show though.

Tim Burton almost made it happen in the 90s but of course his Superman was cancelled.

Holy crap, how did I never know about this?

Batman_SV_Super_Bat_Fight_2.jpg

Even the comics don't have the budget for a good costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom