• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKLAC

Do people seriously believe Batman/Superman wont be a huge financial success regardless of quality? If that Marvel movie isn't Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3, it's getting beat.

After hearing the hype on Cap 2... Cap 3 will probably smash BvS.

Man of Steel only beat Thor 2 by 30 million.... with triple the budget....during a summer release..with little competition..

MoS didn't beat shit then.

Man of Steel only beat Thor 2 by 30 million.... with triple the budget....during a summer release..with little competition.

Thor made that amount with Catching Fire and Frozen as competition.

Marvel is going to have how many movie releases before then? The hype if continues strong will carry them extremely far.

I disagree. I think WB have cornered themselves now. It's going to be hilarious, but a Marvel film might very well now make more money and be more successful than the Batman vs Superman movie.
WB pushing this thing back a year is the worst thing they could have done for the franchise.

That's some terrible analysis, Plasma :)

A Superman movie w/ so-so word of mouth and almost zero box-office legs still pulled 650 mil worldwide. Batman BEEN making a billion dollars. Just the branding alone is going to cause buzz to skyrocket. And it's not like Snyder doesn't know how to cut a fuckin trailer, because he most definitely does.

Quality of film never matters in the opening weekend. Quality of the marketing is what counts. He could turn in a beautiful, empty shell of a movie (not the first time he would have done so) but if marketing makes it LOOK like every single wet dream every fan of those two characters have had over the last SEVEN decades of existence, it's going to fucking slaughter opening weekend.

Even IF it's up against Captain America 3.

It's also not impossible that Disney could have a talk with Feige between now and then, as even setting aside the fact they're both superhero movies, studios don't like pitting very similar types of movies against each other on the same weekend. I couldn't think of an example of two superhero movies ever opening on the same weekend before, and I also can't think, off the top of my head, of two aesthetically similar genre films opening on the same weekend, either.

That said -

This could be some really shrewd marketing on BOTH their cases - channeling the ridiculous fan-feud that's been almost wholly manufactured by DC & Marvel like Vince McMahon himself had written the lesson plan since the 70s is pretty smart business. What better way to pump up opening weekend for BOTH studios than to turn the first weekend of Summer Movie Season into a boxoffice FILLED with lettuce from millions of fucking marks who are more excited to support their favorite multimedia conglomerate than they are to elect a President.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
goddamit you guys, now you've completely changed my opinion on this whole situation. I will just wait and see what happens. I think it's the best thing we can all do.

If both studios hold on that date and turn the ridiculous "Marvel vs DC" fan-feud into a legitimate marketing point? NEITHER studio will "Lose." If they can manage to translate that silliness to a legitimate phenomenon at the box office? That's nothing but a win. Chances are it could be the single largest opening weekend (overall) of all time.

In fact, I'd bet that it's likely.

J10

Banned
Marvel has gone full Heisenberg.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Its very smart. Its a win win for both studios.

It results in the fans trying to spend their way to victory.

They're gonna create such a massive tidal wave of recording breaking numbers for the entire industry.

LaNaranja

Marvel has got nothing on the combined might of Batman AND Superman, arguably the two most popular superheroes in the world. No matter what happens I think this movie will end up making more money opening weekend.

That said, I am curious who Marvel sends out. People would go ape shit if they finally gave Ruffalo's Hulk a chance to shine. However, Doctor Strange or Captain America seem more likely. Maybe Black Panther? Or Thor? Or maybe they shock everyone and make a Thor, Captain America, Hulk team-up movie with them having a crazy adventure in Asgard. Or Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

Either way, the craziness of having both of them releasing a movie at the same time is only going to help both of them. It reminds me of Kevin Butler's E3 speech. "If you have an awesome girlfriend, and your friend has an awesome girlfriend, you know who wins? EVERYONE."

Mariolee

I secretly am wishing Marvel's film that it's going to premiere then is something really weird too, like Dr. Strange, Black Widow, Black Panther, or Guardians of the Galaxy 2, just to show off how cocky they are.

dr. strange could be greatness if a good director steps up to make it. marvel's shortlist is just basura as usual though, it's like they just want to shit it out as cheaply as possible and make the guaranteed profit and that's about it :(

batman vs. superman will be huge if they don't make a mess. and despite not building everything up as well as MCU did the name power alone will make it big. it's a bigger deal to me than seeing the avengers together. the only way they could possibly match that was if they threw spiderman in the crew (...aww man)

ben affleck will be great. henry cavill was pretty good. gal gadot is a casting failure though. i hope she proves me wrong but i don't see it happening.

Wiktor

I honestly liked the visual look of all Nolan suits. Burton ones were great too. The biggest problem all Batman live action suits had weren't their design, but how heavy and stiff they were. Batman needs to be fast and extremely agile. This is what I expect from Snyder. I don't want another Batman who can barely move.

i'm not a fan of snyder but he's always reliable on nailing the visuals of adaptations. this will be the best looking batman for sure. and we will finally see him fight like he should.

BadAss2961

Its very smart. Its a win win for both studios.

It results in the fans trying to spend their way to victory.

They're gonna create such a massive tidal wave of recording breaking numbers for the entire industry.
One of them should move. Not because Marvel will have something that can compete with BvS, but because whatever they put out is going to put a dent in its potential gross.

cdkee

Banned
Wait what? Goyer is gone? There a hype train for this WorldFinestGAF?

I don't know if he's gone completely, but Chris Terrio is now writing the script based on Goyer's screenplay, I think. You can thank Batfleck for that. Goyer is best when he's with a good writer (BB, TDK, etc).

Because Thor 2 made just as much money as WB's Superman movie and Iron Man 3 made about twice as much.

And 2 Batman movies both did about as much as Thor 2 and Captain America combined.

Or Rises doing more than Thor 1, Captain America 1 and incredible Hulk combined. Marvel should have gave up back at Thor right?

Mario007

Man of Steel only beat Thor 2 by 30 million.... with triple the budget....during a summer release..with little competition.

Thor made that amount with Catching Fire and Frozen as competition.

Marvel is going to have how many movie releases before then? The hype if continues strong will carry them extremely far.

MoS had Despicable Me 2 and WWZ as competition. It was thanks to those 3 movies that June was the biggest June ever. Also MoS did not have triple the budget of Thor 2.

Here's a thing you fail to understand. MoS, with its negative WOM and the whole internet bitching about it was the third biggest superhero origin movie (bar the two spidermans) and second biggest reboot (bar TAS) of all time. The only Marvel superhero who has done better than Superman at this early stage of franchise building is Spiderman. MoS is bigger than all of Marvel's films bar IM3 and Avengers.

LosDaddie

Banned

One of the best threads on GAF ever. The DC crowd is still recovering from it.

The Avengers really changed the landscape of comic book movies, probably forever. We now live in a world where Iron Man (Iron Man!!) is a bigger BO draw than Superman, and by a wide margin. A comic character the masses probably didn't know about until 2008. Shit, we now live in a world where Thor is within $30mil of Superman at the BO, which is incredible considering the gulf between the 2 characters' popularity pre-Avengers.

All bets are off after Avengers 2 comes out.

jey_16

Banned
It's shocking really that we won't see a DC superhero film for more then 2 years and in that time Marvel is going to release or be involved in atleast 7 movies!

Warner Bros got lazy with the Nolan Batman films and all the cash coming in, Man of Steel should have happened a lot earlier

Maddocks

I don't know if he's gone completely, but Chris Terrio is now writing the script based on Goyer's screenplay, I think. You can thank Batfleck for that. Goyer is best when he's with a good writer (BB, TDK, etc).

hes also at his best when he has someone to double check his work. When he is free to do whatever he wants we get blade 3.

MoS had Despicable Me 2 and WWZ as competition. It was thanks to those 3 movies that June was the biggest June ever. Also MoS did not have triple the budget of Thor 2.

Here's a thing you fail to understand. MoS, with its negative WOM and the whole internet bitching about it was the third biggest superhero origin movie (bar the two spidermans) and second biggest reboot (bar TAS) of all time. The only Marvel superhero who has done better than Superman at this early stage of franchise building is Spiderman. MoS is bigger than all of Marvel's films bar IM3 and Avengers.

WWZ is competition? Wat?

Also you are forgetting summer vs winter. Summer movies make a lot more money than winter movies.

And look it up brah. MoS including its massive PR budget had triple the budget Thor 2 had.

I am sorry but if MoS was launched in Thor 2's slot, it would of been much worse.

And yeah your right, it did due to it being Supes but do you honestly think that within the next 2 years Marvel's hype isn't going to be extremely high?

Marvel will be putting out movies where WB won't.

Verendus

Banned
Oh god, Marvel and DC fanboys. Why are you clowns shitting up this thread? I clicked on here to see if there is news and instead I actually see people dumb enough to think a Captain America movie or some Thor movie is going to be bigger than a movie which has Batman. Batman/Superman is guaranteed to make a minimum of a billion. It doesn't take a genius to see this. You guys are just as idiotic as the people who thought Avengers wasn't going to make around a billion and would do about $600 million neglecting the fact that 2 Iron Man movies had already done that alone. This is going to be Batman's return and his solo movies have been the most successful with two billion dollar entries. It's pretty damn obvious that Batman/Superman is going to steam roll whatever opens around it.

Mario007

WWZ is competition? Wat?

Also you are forgetting summer vs winter. Summer movies make a lot more money than winter movies.

And look it up brah. MoS including its massive PR budget had triple the budget Thor 2 had.

I am sorry but if MoS was launched in Thor 2's slot, it would of been much worse.

And yeah your right, it did due to it being Supes but do you honestly think that within the next 2 years Marvel's hype isn't going to be extremely high?

Marvel will be putting out movies where WB won't.

A movie that did 550 million wordlwide is competing yes. And what massive PR budget are you talking about? We never got a figure for that. All we got was a figure of 140 million that was spent on promotion for the film by brands other than WB, ie free advertising for WB. This is stuff like Nokia having 925 as the Superman phone etc.

Also summer might have been a great time to release the movie but that doesn't change the fact that MoS had the highest opening in June ever or that the June it opened (with DM2 and WWZ) was the biggest June ever. Thor had the holidays as well.

And do you honestly think people won't be hyped for a Batman and Superman movie? In the age of superhero team-ups and Avengers where four superheroes from mediocre to good performing movies did 1.4 billion we'll have a movie where two of the biggest superheroes (except the spiderman) are together on the live action scene. Batman alone did over 1 billion in two of his previous movies. 2016 is when WB is starting their cinematic universe really. It's not like Marvel had a smooth ride to Avengers either.

I haven't been following this thread. What is this about Goyer being gone? That would be amazing.

Marvel releasing a movie at the same time as this would be fucking stupid. There would be no winner in this situation. Both movies would lose out on some money, even the "winner" of the situation would make more releasing at a different time.

Mario007

I haven't been following this thread. What is this about Goyer being gone? That would be amazing.

Marvel releasing a movie at the same time as this would be fucking stupid. There would be no winner in this situation. Both movies would lose out on some money, even the "winner" of the situation would make more releasing at a different time.

In January Chris Terrio was brought it. Many people thought he was just polishing the script but it is now believed (and stated by sites such as Hollywood Reporter) that Terrio is writing the script from the story created by Goyer and Snyder. So basically Goyer is doing the same stuff as he did on the Dark Knight Trilogy.

I actually think it's kinda smart if Marvel to call DC's bluff, as Marvel is the one with less lose in this situation.
Even if whatever Marvel releases doesn't exactly set the world on fire, as long as it prevented BvS from doing the same, then they effectively put a damper on the creation of DC's cinematic universe.

Marvel has handfuls of supporting tie in media to prop up whatever they put in the slot. DC has the Batman & Superman name plus whatever trailer they happen to release.

But I personally think a head 2 head media battle will be insane for marketing and promotion. I'm sure Marvel will deliver something worthy of the match up. I'm betting on Cap 3 at the moment, but who knows what marvel has planned right now. Chances are likely that it will be a record breaking event and both movies will do well. The Marvel vs DC fued will see to that (although most casuals don't know the difference between the two brands)

inm8num2

Nothing exudes confidence in your tentpole film like buckling and moving the release date at the first sign of direct competition. :p

As a rumor I'll treat it as such with a big grain of salt. If WB really wanted to move the release date they have two entire years to do it. No reason to make that decision right now.

Exotoro

Oh god, Marvel and DC fanboys. Why are you clowns shitting up this thread? I clicked on here to see if there is news and instead I actually see people dumb enough to think a Captain America movie or some Thor movie is going to be bigger than a movie which has Batman. Batman/Superman is guaranteed to make a minimum of a billion. It doesn't take a genius to see this. You guys are just as idiotic as the people who thought Avengers wasn't going to make around a billion and would do about $600 million neglecting the fact that 2 Iron Man movies had already done that alone. This is going to be Batman's return and his solo movies have been the most successful with two billion dollar entries. It's pretty damn obvious that Batman/Superman is going to steam roll whatever opens around it.

BWHAHAHA

not making yourself looking better than those "clowns", dude

Wiktor

Good move. This movie is supposed to launch the whole universe, with separate movies splintering from it. WB needs it to get all the attention it can. That's more important than pissing contest with Marvel.

Huh.

Looks like we were giving them too much credit for working together to create a legitimate whirlwind of fan-frenzy by taking the dumb fanboy wars and turning it into a mutually beneficial marketing opportunity.

But this does fit with conventional wisdom on scheduling, though. Studios may have similar movies in summer, but they almost never go so far as to schedule those movies to open on the same weekend.

Nothing exudes confidence in your tentpole film like buckling and moving the release date at the first sign of direct competition. :p

As a rumor I'll treat it as such with a big grain of salt. If WB really wanted to move the release date they have two entire years to do it. No reason to make that decision right now.

First sign? Marvel staked out the 5/6/16 date long before DC did.

If that source is correct, they were clearly gambling that Marvel would have blinked by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom