• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle for Mosul has begun. 1 million civilians trapped inside the city ruled by ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest developments:

Iraq Army within 5 miles of Mosul city limits.
ISIS executed about 40 people celebrating the "liberation" of their villages by Iraqi forces, a Mosul official said.
Dozens of ISIS militants were killed in the Peshmerga push to Mosul's outskirts
Two Christian towns -- Hamdaniya and Bartella -- were freed over the weekend, Iraqi military officials say
Hundreds of people near Qayyara were affected by a fire at a disused sulphur factory, sources said
ISIS launched a dawn attack south of Kirkuk city Sunday after an attack there Friday
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter met with the Kurdistan Regional Government's Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani in Irbil

CNN

Sijil

oh you mean like this Map right?
CufYRWpXgAEZ4-w.jpg

https://twitter.com/PrimeSourceInt
man Russia is so good at not attacking ISIS

-----

Also I know it is cool to hate on Saudi Arabia and some for just means

but they aren't funding ISIS guys

the email said Hillary assumed yet they have no evidence from anywhere that SA (the government) supports ISIS

I mean how silly can you be to support a group that attacks you not only at home but abroad on multiple occasion and also kills your citizens, government officials and soldiers

I mean you guys are going on such a ruse right now it is silly

even now the Saudis are providing airstrikes with the coalition against Deash

----------------

seems like you want to believe it no matter what

I mean a bunch of you guys are suffering some lagging affect

thinking it is 2003 or something

-------------------------
It is convenient to make the whole world some black and white... easy to understand analogoy but reality is not some pre-school finger pointing, emotion ridden adventure

You say Russia ignores ISIS yet the map you posted shows areas retaken by SAA with Russian airstrikes, I.E Palmyra, Eastern Aleppo, Eastern Homs, Shaer gas fields, SAA holding Deir Ez Zor all theaters of operations where Russia engaged ISIS directly, not to mention lost soldiers in Palmyra and East Homs. But Western MSM always ignore these engagements.

You say Russia ignores ISIS yet the map you posted shows areas retaken by SAA with Russian airstrikes, I.E Palmyra, Eastern Aleppo, Eastern Homs, Shaer gas fields, SAA holding Deir Ez Zor all theaters of operations where Russia engaged ISIS directly, not to mention lost soldiers in Palmyra and East Homs. But Western MSM always ignore these engagements.

-_-

like 90% of their strikes is meant to face off against rebels then ISIS

Palmyra was even looted after by not only ISIS but also SAA and Russian sodliers

Turkey, FSA, YGP, SDF, etc... fight way more against ISIS then Assad and his rag tag group of mercenaries

and you can deny all you want but Assad and Russia's main objective isn't ISIS and you know that

Plus Assad is helping ISIS by pushing people over the edge to join him

it seems as if some people don't realize that in order to kill of one snake you need to kill the other snake that is also a catalyst... aka Assad the dude that killed more then ISIS, and AQ did combined

----
everyone knows this and I believe you know this more then anyone since you try and convince yourself otherwise but Assad by himself can't survive when he has the majority of the country against him

who is he ruling? rag tag militias, pawns and his little circle

what does he control? nothing since any bloody country can do as they please in Syria, yet somehow even with everyone under the sun in Syria, fighting in different fronts Assad is still able to manage 90% of civilian deaths

Sijil

-_-

like 90% of their strikes is meant to face off against rebels then ISIS

Palmyra was even looted after by not only ISIS but also SAA and Russian sodliers

Turkey, FSA, YGP, SDF, etc... fight way more against ISIS then Assad and his rag tag group of mercenaries

and you can deny all you want but Assad and Russia's main objective isn't ISIS and you know that

Plus Assad is helping ISIS by pushing people over the edge to join him

it seems as if some people don't realize that in order to kill of one snake you need to kill the other snake that is also a catalyst... aka Assad the dude that killed more then ISIS, and AQ did combined

----
everyone knows this and I believe you know this more then anyone since you try and convince yourself otherwise but Assad by himself can't survive when he has the majority of the country against him

who is he ruling? rag tag militias, pawns and his little circle

what does he control? nothing since any bloody country can do as they please in Syria, yet somehow even with everyone under the sun in Syria, fighting in different fronts Assad is still able to manage 90% of civilian deaths

Point stands, Russia drove away ISIS from many of their strongholds in Eastern Syria, where ISIS was converging on Damascus from Palmyra and east Homs. You conveniently ignored many Russian lead operations against ISIS in order to mislead.

Also "rebels" my ass, if they're not Nusra affiliates then they're Muslim Brotherhood affiliates, i.e Zinki or Ahrar al Sham. Both terrorists with fundamentalist ideals. I love the rainbow colored picture western media tries to portray these "rebels" as if they're some freedom fighting hippies who actually believe in democracy and equality, drawing parallel to the Spanish civil war volunteers, actually read the intended goals of groups like Ahrar al Sham, the largest non Nusra group in Syria, then talk to me about "moderate" rebels. If Ahrar are the standards of moderation then the Middle East is screwed.

The whole north of Syria is flooded with Turkistani, Chechens, Uyighurs, Chinese, Sudanese, Egyptians etc...etc... fighting for Jihad. Jisr al Shughour alone was turned into a Turkistani colony, and you have the audacity to talk about rag tag militias? LOL.

Idlib, which was supposed to be "liberated" by moderate "rebels" is now Al Qaeda's capital in the Middle East. Yeah so much moderation that they actually gave Al Qaeda a foothold.

At the end of the day, when your "rebel" friends invade a loyalist village you know where the civilians run to? Tartous and Latakia or Damascus. Assad controls beneficial Syria, the main ports and economic hubs with the majority of civilians living under his territories.

Point stands, Russia drove away ISIS from many of their strongholds in Eastern Syria, where ISIS was converging on Damascus from Palmyra and east Homs. You conveniently ignored many Russian lead operations against ISIS in order to mislead.

Also "rebels" my ass, if they're not Nusra affiliates then they're Muslim Brotherhood affiliates, i.e Zinki or Ahrar al Sham. Both terrorists with fundamentalist ideals. I love the rainbow colored picture western media tries to portray these "rebels" as if they're some freedom fighting hippies who actually believe in democracy and equality, drawing parallel to the Spanish civil war volunteers, actually read the intended goals of groups like Ahrar al Sham, the largest non Nusra group in Syria, then talk to me about "moderate" rebels. If Ahrar are the standards of moderation then the Middle East is screwed.

The whole north of Syria is flooded with Turkistani, Chechens, Uyighurs, Chinese, Sudanese, Egyptians etc...etc... fighting for Jiahd. Jisr al Shughour alone was turned into a Turkistani colony, and you have the audacity to talk about rag tag militias? LOL.

Idlib, which was supposed to be "liberated" by moderate "rebels" is now Al Qaeda's capital in the Middle East. Yeah so much moderation that they actually gave Al Qaeda a foothold.

At the end of the day, when your "rebel" friends invade a loyalist village you know where the civilians run to? Tartous and Latakia or Damascus. Assad controls beneficial Syria, the main ports and economic hubs with the majority of civilians living under his territories.
and to add to that: one side consist of minorities and the (religious) majority fighting together while the other side only consist of Sunnis. It's mostly radical Sunni Islamists for that matter who have no qualms about beheading other Sunnis they'd consider apostates similar to how ISIS have been killing Sunnis left and right in Iraq (which the same side against Russia/SAA have mostly been quiet about the past 3 years). After all "moderate rebels" and ISIS/AQ don't really differ in ideology...they call each other brothers, fight together (when they aren't killing each other) and wave their flags together. It's not exactly a secret, but then anyone could tell the 'moderate' rebels were Al-Qaida/ISIS laced in the early days when they hijacked the protests and started shouting sectarian statements and calling for genocides against minorites. Sectarian frauds who are likely under a GCC payroll in this thread would have you believe they are secularists wanting to enforce democracy though.

and to add to that: one side consist of minorities and the (religious) majority fighting together while the other side only consist of Sunnis. It's mostly radical Sunni Islamists for that matter who have no qualms about beheading other Sunnis they'd consider apostates similar to how ISIS have been killing Sunnis left and right in Iraq (which the same side against Russia/SAA have mostly been quiet about the past 3 years). After all "moderate rebels" and ISIS/AQ don't really differ in ideology...they call each other brothers, fight together (when they aren't killing each other) and wave their flags together. It's not exactly a secret, but then anyone could tell the 'moderate' rebels were Al-Qaida/ISIS laced in the early days when they hijacked the protests and started shouting sectarian statements and calling for genocides against minorites. Sectarian frauds who are likely under a GCC payroll in this thread would have you believe they are secularists wanting to enforce democracy though.

They don't call themselves at all "brothers", you can look in any ISIS publication their main target are the others "apostate groups" and the worst for them are the ikhwani (MB) and the FSA. I agree that AQ have the same ideology as ISIS but they are presenting themselves as moderate to gain popular support and they do have it in some zone. It's not surprising since the world have abandoned the more moderate group. Political Islam is a force you have to account, it doesn't matter if the west like it or not. It's just there. You can treat with the more democraticals tendencies or end with group like ISIS.

It's not because FSA or ikhwan group are working with al-Qaida in Syria that they have the same goal or ideology. After 5 year of violent conflict, this kind of thing always happens and the alliances don't reflects a ideological coherence. Just look at nazi occupation of France, you had royalist group working with communist and nationalist all togethers. In some zone they were killing each others and in most they were working together.

Equating muslim brotherhood with ISIS is just plain political manipulation or ignorance.

SAA/Russia only attacked ISIS held areas were it threatened the government. Palmyra and Kuweires airbase are the real only notable gains they made since the Russians intervened. Every where else has seen little movement between the fronts and those fronts has been there for many, many months. Deir-Zor for example has been surrounded for years now and both sides have gain and lost territory there.

The only real side that has gained territory from ISIS has been the SDF and the YPG , specifically.

Most of the airstrikes from Russia has been against the opposition for good reason as they are a bigger threat against the government.

Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InSkZb1jg1o

seems like you want to believe it no matter what

I mean a bunch of you guys are suffering some lagging affect

thinking it is 2003 or something
We have the proof. Isn't about me wanting to believe anything.

You guys are hilarious though. More evidence will come out in this regard, will be interesting to watch you guys come to terms with it.

Saudi's are funding ISIS guys (along with Qatar). It is what it is.
I think people generally underestimate/downplay the effect the Russians had while overestimating the effect the US had. Even though it was confirmed that US was putting a more positive spin of how well they were doing against ISIS than was the reality.
I love the rainbow colored picture western media tries to portray these "rebels" as if they're some freedom fighting hippies who actually believe in democracy and equality, drawing parallel to the Spanish civil war volunteers, actually read the intended goals of groups like Ahrar al Sham, the largest non Nusra group in Syria, then talk to me about "moderate" rebels.
Speaking to this point specifically... did you see Channel 4's "moderate rebel" rebranding of al Zinki? They've since removed the video (they got slammed in the comments). But not before someone recorded it and parsed the footage.

Also, the US State Department literally made excuses for al Zinki after they beheaded that little boy too.

You guys are hilarious though. More evidence will come out in this regard, will be interesting to watch you guys come to terms with it.

I think people generally underestimate/downplay the effect the Russians had while overestimating the effect the US had. Even though it was confirmed that US was putting a more positive spin of how well they were doing against ISIS than was the reality.

Speaking to this point specifically... did you see Channel 4's "moderate rebel" rebranding of al Zinki? They've since removed the video (they got slammed in the comments). But not before someone recorded it and parsed the footage.

Also, the US State Department literally made excuses for al Zinki after they beheaded that little boy too.

You have to understand that what Clinton say is not a definitive proof about anything. She is not an expert on that issue, or any issue in the middle-east for that matter if you read her emails, like the vast majority of politicians btw. She provide a proof that ISIS is funded by Saudi Arabia gov. ?

Al-Zinki group made a public statement about punishing the men who did that and condemned the horrendous acts.

Cn0SkX9WgAAJX7t.jpg

You have to understand that what Clinton say is not a definitive proof about anything. She is not an expert on that issue, or any issue in the middle-east for that matter if you read her emails, like the vast majority of politicians btw. She provide a proof that ISIS is funded by Saudi Arabia gov. ?
She sure sounded mighty confident and I believe her. She didn't expect that email to be read by the public. Also, it's consistent with the DIA document and is Saudi's MO. Gonna be hard to dismiss this one, Pigeon.
Al-Zinki group made a public statement about punishing the men who did that and condemned the horrendous acts.

Cn0SkX9WgAAJX7t.jpg
Ok, so they investigated themselves and ostracized the headchoppers so they're no longer a terrorist group (despite channel 4 just producing a piece earlier this month featuring those very same headchoppers). Got it.

She sure sounded mighty confident and I believe her. She didn't expect that email to be read by the public. Also, it's consistent with the DIA document and is Saudi's MO. Gonna be hard to dismiss this one, Pigeon.

You should really try to read beyond the click-bait headline, the DIA document don't speak about West nor Saudi Arabia/Turkey funding ISIS unlike it's been portrayed on every conspiracy/click-bait website.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/05/strategic-against-assad.html

This example of the DIA document is just the perfect example of most of internet political comment nowadays, we take a text and we distort it so much that it fit our narratives. There is Gulf State and AQ on the text, so yeah they are definitely supporting each other.

I don't see how you can call this group a "terrorist group" because some militants commit exactions on a child-soldier of the assad regime, and then condemn the act. Assad army is doing 100 times that thing on a daily basis and they just don't care about condemning it. But i guess if you drop barrel bomb on a residential area you're not a terrorist.

And "being confident" is not a proof. I won't base my worldview on Clinton confidence on a subject. Do you understand the actual implication if ISIS is funded by Saudi Arabia and US administration just don't care ?

Sijil

You should really try to read beyond the click-bait headline, the DIA document don't speak about West nor Saudi Arabia/Turkey funding ISIS unlike it's been portrayed on every conspiracy/click-bait website.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/05/strategic-against-assad.html

I don't see how you can call this group a "terrorist group" because some militants commit exactions on a child-soldier of the assad regime, and then condemn the act. Assad army is doing 100 times that thing on a daily basis and they just don't care about condemning it. But i guess if you drop barrel bomb on a residential area you're not a terrorist.

And "being confident" is not a proof. I won't base my worldview on Clinton confidence on a subject. Do you understand the actual implication if ISIS is funded by Saudi Arabia and US administration just don't care ?

The only reason they condemned the attack is because their fighters were stupid enough to publicize the beheading drawing condemnation. Don't make the mistake of thinking that they're benevolent and beyond barbarism. They're fighting should to shoulder alongside Jabhat Fateh Al Sham, formerly Nusra front, and call them brothers, they're part of the same Islamist Wahhabi coalition, Jaish al Fateh, that rejected a democratic and secular Syria in favor of a rule under Sunni sharia law. That makes their ideals and intents clear and defines them as extremists and terrorists, yet the CIA is giving them TOW missiles which find their way, conveniently, to Nusra/AQ/JFS hands.

There would be no implications against the KSA, they're outright committing mass genocide in Yemen with American and British weapons and the only response they got is an increase in arms sales. They're fighting alongside Al Quaeda in Yemen and no one is giving a shit, they sent an army to quell an uprising for democracy in Bahrain and the US/EU gave them more weapons. The Saudis can buy anyone, unless the Saudis outright scream and boast about supporting ISIS, no one is going to do shit against them, they're more spoiled than the Israelis.

The only reason they condemned the attack is because their fighters were stupid enough to publicize the beheading drawing condemnation. Don't make the mistake of thinking that they're benevolent and beyond barbarism. They're fighting should to shoulder alongside Jabhat Fateh Al Sham, formerly Nusra front, and call them brothers, they're part of the same Islamist Wahhabi coalition, Jaish al Fateh, that rejected a democratic and secular Syria in favor of a rule under Sunni sharia law. That makes their ideals and intents clear and defines them as extremists and terrorists, yet the CIA is giving them TOW missiles which find their way, conveniently, to Nusra/AQ/JFS hands.

I never said so.
Nobody is speaking about a secular syria though, not even Assad have a secular constitution. Just look up article 3 of the current constitution.

And like i said before, it's not because a group is fighting alongside with another group that they have the same ideological background. Some FSA factions are fighting with AQ, so now AQ is democratic ? Why this should work only in a one-way fashion ?

War don't make ideologically coherent alliances.

EDIT: I am not defending Saudi Arabia, i consider that it's one of the most horrendous regime in the world. It's just important that we keep to actual fact about ISIS funding and ideology.
Saying that what is happening right now in Yemen is a "genocide" is just pretty eloquent about how the word get easily used around these days.
A big part of Yemen are pro KSA intervention and want those Houthi out. It's a clear cut civil war unlike Syria where the regime is only defending it's own interests.

This whole "sunni/wahhabi demonization" is just starting to get on my nerves, don't forget that shia militia are equally sectarian and violent. Just look at shi'a militia groups in Irak/Syria. They want "Shari'a law" aswell, so why there is no issue there ?
You know that Houthi in Yemen slogan is "death to the jews/death to america" written on all their flags ? But i guess it's just folklore.

The US always does this shit, they support literal child rapist in Afghanistan just because they fight the Taliban.

You're right, I misremembered. Only Turkey was mentioned by name, not Saudi. It's been a while since I've seen the document.

Re-reading it though... something very suspicious jumps out at me.

You're right, I misremembered. Only Turkey was mentioned by name, not Saudi. It's been a while since I've seen the document.

Re-reading it though... something very suspicious jumps out at me.

Thanks for recognizing it.

And even turkey is called out for supporting the opposition, that consist of Salafis, ISIS/AQ and Muslim Brotherhood (as the main group of opposition) in the same document. Out of that some website take as a conclusion that Turkey supported ISIS. It's just a flawed logic and the lack of rigorous analyze that lead people to buy into these type of short-sighted lectures of the conflict.

It's not secondary, because it's affect as well the decisions-makers, and render less effective the struggle against actuals threats.

Thanks for recognizing it.

And even turkey is called out for supporting the opposition, that consist of Salafis, ISIS/AQ and Muslim Brotherhood (as the main group of opposition) in the same document. Out of that some website take as a conclusion that Turkey supported ISIS. It's just a flawed logic and the lack of rigorous analyze that lead people to buy into these type of short-sighted lectures of the conflict.

It's not secondary, because it's affect as well the decisions-makers, and render less effective the struggle against actuals threats.
I still take the former Secretary of State/your next President at her word though (regarding the Saudi's). She'd know.

Also, after reading that doc again it makes perfect sense why US attacked Der Ez-zhor and why Daesh is allowed to have an escape route back in that direction. It all dovetails with "Plan B".

I still take the former Secretary of State/your next President at her word though (regarding the Saudi's). She'd know.

Also, after reading that doc again it makes perfect sense why US attacked Der Ez-zhor and why Daesh is allowed to have an escape route back in that direction. It all dovetails with "Plan B".

So you actually believe that US gov. is helping ISIS ? :/

The most amazing thing about conspirationist is that they believe the most horrendous thing about their governments but manage somehow to live a normal life living under it without minding so much about it. The cognitive dissociation is hard.

ISIS has "executed" 232 people near the Iraqi city of Mosul and taken tens of thousands of people to use as human shields against advancing Iraqi forces, the United Nations says.

The terror group carried out the mass killings Wednesday, punishing people who had defied its orders, a spokeswoman for the UN human rights arm told CNN.

"ISIS executed 42 civilians in Hammam al-Alil, south of Mosul. Also on Wednesday ISIS executed 190 former Iraqi security forces for refusing to join them, in the Al Ghazlani base near Mosul," said Ravina Shamdasani of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Another 24 former Iraqi security forces officers were reportedly killed Tuesday, the office said.

Since October 17, ISIS has taken tens of thousands of men, women and children from the outskirts of Mosul into the city. Shamdasani said the United Nations feared the group intended "to use them as human shields against the Iraqi forces advance on Mosul."
There have been other reported civilian deaths over the past week as ISIS tries to herd people into its last major stronghold in Iraq and the nation's second city against the Iraqi-led operation.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/middleeast/iraq-mosul-isis/index.html
Horrible
As the Iraqi Army/Militias push further towards the city, this is going to become a bloody root canal operation

That encirclement.
I guess, they aren't trying to bait them into a retreat then.

They can still give them a chance to retreat if the southern forces don't advance any further.
A full encirclement would quickly turn into a bloodbath since they will no choice but to fight to a man.

Friday was a rough day for ISOF as they made their push into the city. Several vehicles were lost in an ambush with several wounded while a CNN reporter was with them. It's nothing like the the fighting in the outskirts.
1:55 p.m.
Holy shit. That is the craziest crap I have seen. A white car just went flying down the side street in front of us. Right between the battalion. Then a rocket-propelled grenade came flying in.
They keep calling for air power.
This fight is nothing like that of the outskirts. This is in the side streets against an enemy that knows them and rules the rooftops. The rooftops of homes that have civilians inside.
"There is heavy incoming, heavy incoming," the captain calls on the radio. "We need air power now! We are getting hit from all sides."

2:13 p.m.
We just took a direct hit. I don't know what it was.
My ears are ringing. Brice has a small wound on the side of his head.
The captain has a head wound. One of the guys is hit in his shoulder.
I have blood on me but it's not mine.

3:06 p.m.
We are in a civilian house, crowded into a room with the family that lives here.
The mother and five children are all huddled into a corner, almost as if they are trying to make themselves as small as possible.
The guys we are with are here too. They don't have vehicles to evacuate -- all their vehicles were ruined, there are only three left that are mobile.

3:10 p.m.
That was an airstrike, or so they said.
There are two families here -- two neighbors. The women and six kids are all crammed behind the dresser.

3:45 p.m.
The family we are with made fried eggs and bread for everyone. Even in the worst of times people who have nothing will give everything. The jets are buzzing overhead now.

3:51 p.m.
Radio call: "The jets are overhead. It's almost over. They are almost finished in your area."
Crazy outgoing fire again. I think backup may have finally arrived.

4:05 p.m.
"Is that my vehicle on fire?" a soldier walks in and asks.
There is gunfire everywhere again. One of the soldiers says ISIS is filming the burning vehicles. "How do you know?" I ask. There is a tall building, I am sure they are. They did this before, he says.
They started to move the wounded, but there is too much incoming fire.
"Are you leaving with the wounded?" I'm asked.
"Yes please."
Brice notes that it will be dark in an hour and a half. The blood has dried on his face.

4:12 p.m.
There is no back-up yet.
Time is going by very slowly. Explosions are shaking this house.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/05/middleeast/iraq-inside-mosul-battle/index.html

Friday was a rough day for ISOF as they made their push into the city. Several vehicles were lost in an ambush with several wounded while a CNN reporter was with them. It's nothing like the the fighting in the outskirts.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/05/middleeast/iraq-inside-mosul-battle/index.html

BBC news team also had a close escape from a car bomb - they've provided footage on their twitter.
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/795312556801978368/video/1

This is the sort of thing this campaign is gonna involve for potentially weeks and months.

Sijil

As an update, ISOF have entered the eastern outskirts of Mosul. PMU's are closing in on Tel Afar in order to cut ISIS retreat line to Syria and Raqqa.

Badr brigade with Iranian advisors are present on the ground in Mosul (https://twitter.com/DanieleRaineri/status/795379898189840384).

As well as SAS, obviously not working together.

Also ISIS deploying child soldiers as young as 13:

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC and NSFW (KIA CHILD SOLDIER)

https://twitter.com/Mogared__Mosul/status/795678049392062465

And a mass grave containing over 100 bodies was discovered, Independent.co.uk link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ate-battle-of-mosul-bodies-iraq-a7403176.html

ISIS has been brainwashing children for a while as seen in their propganda videos. They've even had the children execute prisoners

Also I wonder if they can maintain ISOF after this. They're not so easily replaced and this operation seems like it'll really grind them down as they have already taken some heavy losses already and the city clearing has just begun.
As Iraqi forces struggle to secure the gains they made over the past week on Mosul's eastern edge, the fight against IS has quickly morphed into close-quarters urban combat. With it, casualties among Iraq's troops and civilians are spiking.
On Friday, when Iraqi forces first pushed into Mosul proper, Derek Coleman, an American volunteer medic worked alongside Iraqi special forces at the field clinic.
That day, he said he helped treat 44 casualties before he lost count.
"I think the Iraqi (military) got an awakening when they pushed too far forward," Coleman said, flipping through a notebook he uses to keep records of his cases. In all, 12 soldiers died at the clinic on Friday, he said. "We had two Humvees just loaded with dead bodies."
Iraq's military does not release official death tolls.
Behind Coleman, hundreds of civilians slowly poured out of Mosul on foot. Women and children held white flags made of scraps of dishtowels, torn clothing and pillowcases. Iraqi soldiers gathered them on street corners and loaded them on trucks set for camps for the displaced.

With shrapnel in his knee, 26-year old Hassan Qassim was carried out of the back seat of a Humvee. Wearing a black "Glock" T-shirt, he screamed out in pain as the medics dressed his wound.
His friend, Murtada Jalaw, held Qassim's head and kissed his forehead, trying to distract him from the pain. "We are here and we will take your revenge," he said, his eyes welling with tears.
"Take Mosul," Qassim replied.
The battle for the city, Iraq's second-largest, marks the first time Iraqi forces have entered Mosul since the city fell to IS more than two years ago. The humiliating defeat was partly due to corruption in the Iraqi military.
In the weeks after IS blitzed across Iraq, at least 50,000 so-called ghost soldiers — non-existent troops or men who collected salaries but didn't show up for duty — were identified within the country's military ranks. Also, waste and corruption in contract awarding often left Iraqi soldiers who did show up for the fight under-equipped.
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has taken steps to tackle corruption in the military, but the soldiers and officers say many of the problems that were exacerbated under his predecessor, Nouri al-Maliki, have persisted.
"I've been wounded four times," Qassim said, listing battles where he fought IS over the past two years, "Where is the justice?"
A senior officer tried to quiet him. "You are a hero," he said.

Pete Reed, another American volunteer at the clinic said they expect high casualties.
"It's a huge urban environment," he said. "Imagine trying to go into Brooklyn or Charlotte, North Carolina, where you have huge buildings."
"Now imagine that from every door, window . that kind of gunfire can come out of it at any moment," he said as small arms fire echoed from the front line in the distance.
Car bombs are "ripping these things apart. Humvees aren't built ... (to withstand a car bomb). Nothing's built for a suicide vehicle," Reed said.
In late afternoon, a soldier was brought in with multiple gunshot wounds. Blood soaked through his T-shirt and began to pool underneath him. Medics tried to bandage the wounds. When his breathing stopped, Reed began to preform chest compressions.
The soldier's eye's glazed over.
A few minutes later, Reed called for a body bag and removed the IV from the man's arm. The commotion suddenly dissipated and the half dozen medics and soldiers gathered around stopped what they were doing.
"We don't have a name for him," said special forces Maj. Ahmed Hussein, using a black marker to write "Heroic martyr, Mosul division" on the body bag.
Hassan Aridah, a medic with the Iraqi special forces, said he has been working at field stations such as this Mosul front-line clinic for more than two years. "Sometimes I used to cry, but it's very normal now," he said.
After washing the blood from the dead soldier's cot, he walked up to his commanding officer.
"You shouldn't just leave the body here, other soldiers are passing this road," he said. "It's bad for morale."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f9af...sualties-mount-iraqis-press-deeper-held-mosul

Another sobering account of urban warfare:
  • Street-to-street, house-to-house close quarter firefights
  • Car bombs are ISIS' main weapon and speed out of garages or around corners
  • Militants wait for civilians to fill the streets to mask their own movements and prevent artillery/airstrikes
  • Early gains made in the city like in the Nov 4th battle recorded by CNN were not sustainable
  • Pace has slowed down to allow other fronts to move into advance on the city
  • Tunnels, concrete barriers, and car bombs are everywhere
  • Casualty numbers have not been reported, but are high with truckloads of mangled bodies arriving sometimes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...af671e-a524-11e6-ba46-53db57f0e351_story.html

Update: There's been little progress. You can only do so much in urban warfare without leveling the city (like what Assad / Russians do in Aleppo).

An article from 10 days ago on the progress of the battle: The battle for Mosul in maps: how the offensive has slowed | World news | The Guardian

n84u5Um.png

A France24 video of intense fighting inside Tamim, Mosul (Wikimapia, Gmaps): Iraq: On the frontline of the battle for Mosul with Iraqi special forces - YouTube (possibly NSFW)
~ I hope the person lying dead at 1:50 is not a kid

The video before that: Exclusive: Iraq's 'Golden Division' troops in the battle for Mosul - YouTube

Rear Window

Neo Member
I don't really understand the battle strategy.

- All of the supply lines should have been cut months before entering the city. Do a good siege before going in.
- Why enter the city from only one direction? Should have waited until the other forces were ready and enter the city from multiple directions at once.
- An attempt should have been made to evacuate civilians. Instead it's "hide in your house and hope we don't blow it up!"
- Blow the last bridge already. No idea why they are allowing ISIS mobility.

If this is the best our generals could come up with I am beside myself. Like that rush to the hospital fiasco. What were they thinking?

- All of the supply lines should have been cut months before entering the city. Do a good siege before going in.
- Why enter the city from only one direction? Should have waited until the other forces were ready and enter the city from multiple directions at once.
- An attempt should have been made to evacuate civilians. Instead it's "hide in your house and hope we don't blow it up!"

If this is the best our generals could come up with I am beside myself. Like that rush to the hospital fiasco. What were they thinking?

It's interesting that none of the things that were done to win the Battle of Fallujah were done here.

KRod-57

Banned
Sadly, I don't see this being done before Trump comes into Office.

He's going to get to claim this as a victory, isn't he?

If the battle is finished under his term, he most certainly will, and his followers will eat it all up. However, most the people who actually follow the daily news will know better

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/iraq-army-mosul-isis-214531
ISOF has suffered a 50% casualties already and could be rendered combat ineffective in a month if things continue at this rate.

They really shouldn't be used as line infantry in large scale offensives like this, but the rest of the Iraqi Army isn't picking up the slack for fear of suffering the same kinds of casualties
One senior Pentagon officer with access to daily battle reports on the Mosul fight says the battle for the city has been so intense that the Golden Division’s veteran battalions “are suffering upwards of 50 percent casualties. If that rate stays constant,” he told me, “the division could become combat ineffective in a little over a month, and perhaps even sooner.”
Bad reporting from Politico. One batallion under Golden Division suffered 50℅ casualty rate, not the entire ISOF.

But regardless I dont know why Abbadi put all his eggs on the eastern front.

Update: So it's almost a month ago since the last update in this thread.

There was a lot of progress done since the start of the 2nd stage of the Mosul operation on December 29.

Almost all of the east side of Mosul is liberated, the forces arrived at the Tigris river. If they hold the momentum the west side of Mosul could be liberated faster (hopefully).

Black = ISIS

zzjnjol.jpg

If the battle is finished under his term, he most certainly will, and his followers will eat it all up. However, most the people who actually follow the daily news will know better
Republicans managed to spin the OBL raid as not Obama's doing and his approval bounce ended up being pretty minimal. Hopefully Democrats would do the same.

Unless Trump oversaw some major change in strategy that had a clear effect, in which case sure, whatever.

sofa

Thing is no one wanted a siege, or a Aleppo-like situation. The populace would have taken too much of a hit. The only solution was a urban combat that would drive off the isis militant and direct them to Siria, but no one want to fight in such a harsh environment and that's why only ISOF is doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom