• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Caved in and watched Diz vs. Gjonaj. IMO:

Felt the first was kind of even. Diz had higher highs (surrogate) and lower lows (jellyfish bar) plus being gassed for non-bars ("you're just a fake Dizaster!"). Diz was in his zone and more comfortable than ever, and I think the Cassidy bar at the end clinched it for him.

Gjonaj's 2nd was pretty uneventful, and that's definitely a choke. Dizaster's eyebrow bar set the tone IMMEDIATELY. And while I think it's super meta that Diz is doing an imitation of Gjonaj who is supposedly doing an imitation of Diz, and that I think imitations can be kind of corny, the way he set up that punchline was EXACTLY like how Gjonaj does it. Even Diz' multis were making sense (Yasser Arafat). That 2nd from Diz was precise as fuck. If that was a URL crowd they would have been screaming LET EM LIVE.

Gjonaj was SNAPPING in the 3rd, whew, with the Lent bar especially. I think his content was overall really good and I preferred it to what Diz brought in his 3rd, but I agree with Myron that there wasn't necessarily a standout moment, although the closest thing would be the Lent bar for me. Everyone has a bad game and most of our favourites took Ls really early in their careers, but what might make the difference here is how much Gjonaj pumped his chest beforehand and the fact that ultimately this is an L in public perception. Maybe it's because the wound is fresh but Gjonaj risks being Nuborn'd at this point IMO.

10gzn8p.jpg

this picture after the battle... lmao i feel so bad for laughing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ave & Nunn Nunn is fire. That round with his wife surprised the hell out of me.

Sounds like URL's January card is going to be the Mook vs. Surf one. Mook talking about it being on national TV, him being locked in for two battles (one of them being Surf), the rest of the card being a huge fan pleaser, a bigger battle on the card than Mook/Surf (what could that be?) etc.

Also Hollow says he's battling on Fresh Coast next year, probably Diz as they've been trying to set that up forever.

I was just about to watch Pass Vs. Clips, never mind that now lol

That battle had its moments, but meh overall. I think its 2-1 either way.

Been watching Young Kannon battles. Dude is dope.

Furyous

Let's talk about Virus:

Whole event was aight I guess.

Let's get to the fuckery. Ron came out in a KKK outfit and Daylyt and entourage pulled out paintball guns and shot him repeatedly.... Then Ron dresses in full blackface and tensions start rising. The event disperses.

Allegeldy, Avocado and partner deleted the footage because FilmOn was involved. However, Diz is saying he has all the footage and is giving rappers royalties off the views which is something no other league does.

mileS

Let's talk about Virus:

Whole event was aight I guess.

Let's get to the fuckery. Ron came out in a KKK outfit and Daylyt and entourage pulled out paintball guns and shot him repeatedly.... Then Ron dresses in full blackface and tensions start rising. The event disperses.

Allegeldy, Avocado and partner deleted the footage because FilmOn was involved. However, Diz is saying he has all the footage and is giving rappers royalties off the views which is something no other league does.

No other league would be able to still book battles if they gave royalties off views.

Diz fails at life for getting Lush to manage him and still fucking with FilmON. dumb dumbs

Wooaaaah... Diz is still fucking with Filmon? In 2015...? We live in a post Ether world here, folks. Everyone should know better than this.

Fury did you see the actual battles? Am I actually gonna have to go to Filmon.com for the 2nd time in my life? I cant believe this is happening to me.

edit:

Looks like Filmon was an excellent choice as always.

fild.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
not tryna hear anything related to Lush and especially not FilmOn in 2015

shout outs to battle rappers fighting over peas persistently and stopping the game from getting anywhere because of this perpetual nonsense

Furyous

Fury did you see the actual battles? Am I actually gonna have to go to Filmon.com for the 2nd time in my life? I cant believe this is happening to me.

Nah, I followed the controversy via twitter when Daylyt posted the video of him lighting up Ron with paintballs. The one woman had the two most realistic looking paintball pistols EVER.

I avoided the battle after finding out Marv Won wasn't performing and knew this would be a bad idea. Ron lit up a gay pride flag but stopped Day from burning the confederate flag. HMMMMMM............................

*EDIT*

Swear all of Ron's internet fans have attacked me online on at another place. Is Cadalack Ron big in battle rap? Is he known for more things other than shooting up mid battle, that allegedly racist Dre Vishis battle, and now dressing up as a KKK member? In other words, should I know who he is?

Caddy Ron was dope back in the GT days. He fell off hard due to drug addiction. For newer fans (like 2011 onward) you'd most likely only know him for shooting up in the battle. His story in battle rap isn't entirely unlike Qleen Paper. At a certain point he was just squandering away every opportunity he had.

Listening to Radio interviews on AFM and The War Report its looking like Caddy Ron got played. Him and Day were working together to make this a deeper concept then the gimmick suggests. Or at least what Day and Ron think of as a deeper concept. Day didnt go through with the plan and shot dude up.

Apparently Diz and other organizers were also selling Ron the dream. Talking about getting payed based of views with youtube monetization, suggesting he be as offensive as possible to make the battle go viral. Also framing this as ultimately redeeming Ron's image because the battle was supposed to culminate in some peaceful resolution in the 3rd round.

After hearing the interviews it's clear Caddy Ron isn't necessarily the coolest dude. There's a light portion of cringe ass "I got black friends" defense for a moment there. Also some preeeetty startling references to the "gay Illuminati agenda" that come out of NOWHERE. Still after hearing him out I can't help but feel badly for Ron. Seems like a lot of people he thought were friends fucked him over.

Diz stating on twitter and interviews that Alki & Filmon don't have rights to the footage/ have the footage in general and their PPV is a scam.

Avocado and Liam (the two filming) have publically said they wont give Filmon the footage and will delete the battles if Filmon is involved.

Lmao this shit is fucking ridiculous. All I know for certain is Daylyt is a huge asshole for shooting someone up with a paint-ball gun close range like that. That shit's no joke.

HAIXIAN VS MIKE P PROVING GROUNDS RAP BATTLE

Yoooooo. I've been waiting on this. Don't sleep guys, the kid Mike P is a killer for reaaal. I haven't even seen the battle yet but im vouching for him leaving earth. I know he's gonna go crazy on his URL debut. Hella psyched to see this shit!

I heard Haixian did his numbers too, so this should be a goodie.

edit:
"I'll be poppin' arms (pop in arms)... the bride comin"!? What!? Let's go Haixian!!!

mileS

Psychoses VS. Dude that doesn't matter

https://youtu.be/dWaMvYgINik

Psychoses bodied this dude. He isn't very good anyways. Psychoses should battle better people now.

Gin I was okay. Long way to come and he had a really good round in there. Psycoses has bad delivery. So bad that I find it hard to even enjoy the alright stuff we writes sometimes. Too many bars falling flat and basic try hard shit mixed in. Maybe hes better live? eh people seem to think so.

Couldn't wait I watched DBD vs DNA. Oh man dna got zipped up

Furyous

Lemme get this straight:

Calicoe shows up to the venue for Power 2, gets on stage, and says I'm not ready. He walks off stage, does an interview, and reiterates this. Detroit wasn't hearing that though and forced him to get on stage after he said now I have something for Ill Will.

All alleged by the way order of Cal's rounds:

1st: garbage freestyle
2nd: humps Nunu four times, gets pushed off, then keeps saying what's up til time is called
3rd: Tries explaining himself only to get booed off stage as shit starts to get real.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GOT ME FEELING LIKE CALICOE, BITCH I'M RUNNING OUT OF SHIT TO SAY

Also Rex spit another mixtape verse to Marvwon lmao Card looked dope too, it's a shame.

mileS

some of what he speaks is the truth though.

but who would want to deal with main stage smack crowds. If I was shotty I probably wouldn't care either.

Furyous

some of what he speaks is the truth though.

but who would want to deal with main stage smack crowds. If I was shotty I probably wouldn't care either.

Yeah but he's a member of Dot Mob. Rex and Mook probably mad as shit with the attention this brings to their already shaky team. KShine is about out of the group. Daylyt is off doing Daylyt stuff. Shotty dissed the SMACK era. DOT is still around but is awful. Real Deal is the only person repping the mob.

Yeah but he's a member of Dot Mob. Rex and Mook probably mad as shit with the attention this brings to their already shaky team. KShine is about out of the group. Daylyt is off doing Daylyt stuff. Shotty dissed the SMACK era. DOT is still around but is awful. Real Deal is the only person repping the mob.
Shotty isn't in dot mob.

I never heard Shotty speak of being in dotmob. I know they've hung a couple times at events. Well thats random, I wouldn't draw the connection either way though. But sounds like Shotty went out on top. One of my favorites so im glad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shout outs to Shotty for having nonchronological conceptions of time.

Everyone played their part, but the three biggest movements were:

#1 Smack. No debating. Shotty is disrespecting for the sake of disrespecting. Whatever history lesson going on is probably like the ones in the South where they remove evolution and slavery from the textbooks.

#2 Grindtime. They capitalized on the digital age and laid the blueprint for distribution and a whole lot more.

#3 Jumpoff, with maybe Fight Klub as a tie or close #4. Did the most for integrating/exposing battle rap to foreign/uncapitalized audiences.

Just sounds like Shotty is mad that his URL arrangement fell through once again. Seems like they've been working on his debut forever too, can't imagine what happened. Shotty is big time now, I imagine that had to do with it.

mileS

Grindtime wouldn't have happened the way it did if it wasn't for the Elements league either. Not to pull that card because I'm from there but Drect confirmed it before, then he got shy about it later on. That being said. I don't think everyone would be where they are without each other. I personally wouldn't put anyone ahead of each other.

I waited all yesterday for this. KOTD on real nigga time.

I figured it would look better on cam. I still got Gjonaj 2-1. Diz had the better performance and some good punches, Gjonaj had better material overall though. The hyping for so much of Diz's stuff was strong. Gjonaj slipping up gave Diz all the fuel he needed to spaz in the 2nd. Also,I think he spent too much time explaining a narrative when he should've just punched Diz away with bars. Especially considering the time limits. He needs to clearly beat Psychoses.

I agree with your thought on Gjonaj's rounds. He spent way to much time trying to build the David vs Goliath narrative and not enough time actually slinging rocks. It honestly seems like Gjonaj got a bit too full of himself and it led to a few embarrassing moments. Him asking the audience: "did you get that shed connection?" when the shit wasn't actually crazy and saying that Diz is "jealous of his success."

I don't know if should have necessarily done back to back punches, though. A lot of Gjonaj's strength is in his imagery. I just wish it'd had a bit more bite to it.

Watching the final cut I still definitely think Diz won and his 2nd round was the best of the battle. Watching it again though the third is debatable. Diz was stumbling a lot in the middle of a scheme there and he lost some steam off it. Not as much as Gjo lost in the 2nd. But I can see someone making a strong case for the 3rd round. Also, that footage is fuckin' extra crispy for this event. Some of the best looking battle footage I've seen in a minute for sure.

Regardless of preference, public perception is gonna force young Gjo to really re-establish his position as that fierce new threat. I'm really looking forward to that. I think he's gonna fuck Psychoses up, badly.

Good lord Shotty vs Clips was one sided as fuck. Charlie's 3rd might have been one of the worst rounds in battle rap all year. He was rambling nonsense. Shotty was looking to kill something that battle. If he got his material off without a hitch it may have been a classic performance. As it stands, with the weird momentum shift after the confrontation as well as the minor choke in the 2nd, Shotty fell just short of the mark.

Still most likely his best performance since the original Ars battle and I liked him in the rematch as well as vs Hitman.

Charlie needs to get it together, he's on a pretty consistent losing streak right now. His character keeps getting destroyed with different angles. Shotty's take on him recycling was tight.

That was a 3-0. Maybe just shy of a body cause Shotty looks like a dick for cutting off Clips' scheme.

Exactly, this is what makes me excited for his next battle. I like Psychoses too and I think he'll do ok, but Gjonaj may murder him because he pretty much has to at this point. Also, the battle will be judged for 5k. After Psychoses kinda called out Gjonaj.....something epic is going to happen.

Wait..nobody thought Clips beat Lux? I mean, I didn't but I could see that as debateable.

mileS

I agree with your thought on Gjonaj's rounds. He spent way to much time trying to build the David vs Goliath narrative and not enough time actually slinging rocks. It honestly seems like Gjonaj got a bit too full of himself and it led to a few embarrassing moments. Him asking the audience: "did you get that shed connection?" when the shit wasn't actually crazy and saying that Diz is "jealous of his success."

Sums up the battle perfectly. In the end I'd say 2-1 Diz. That was my first time watching it and I didn't think it was as bad as people made out to be for Gjonaj.

Top Bottom