• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

El_Chino

Going in expecting this to he a gearbox game, my buddies and I actually had a lot of fun with it. Might considering buying it

Xevren

Yo Ghalt after his buffs is super legit, damage is great which makes sense due to using a shotty. So many Gal players trying to yolo like before and that's just not going to work now.

If anyone on psn wants to play at all over the weekend add me! Xevren11

Trigonx

What do people think of Thorn? I think she's really good. I'm up at 150 kills 32 deaths with her now. Which is decent, I think!

She's my main character, second to Orendi, but I struggle to land Orendi's powers sometimes.

---

Edit: Just met a guy who is level 100 on the beta, what the hell?

So far only played one match as Thorn, I liked her. Would play her more but I try to be the player that keeps the team balanced. Been going full support with Reyna in quite a bit of matches and it seems to be the difference maker. Had a game go to the end with a score of 50-50, but we had 36 kills to 33 so we won. I saved at least 15 deaths that game alone.

I noticed a lot of new players go straight for the sniper characters.

TheYanger

The problem I had with thorn is that the aim assist felt pretty aggressive, and her arrows had enough dropoff that it would actually cause me to miss. Also the reticle would turn 'red' so I'd aim in a spot to hit that and it would still miss, like the reticle wasn't accurate to the hitboxes of the mobs. in 2 hours of playing her I still NEVER got accustomed to how she shoots vs how the game tells you she shoots, which is ridiculous. Also multishot is way more boring that it looks like it should be/sounds like it should be.

OhItsJustDaniel

Neo Member
I thoroughly enjoyed the matches I played, but I feel that the game does a bad job introducing the players to the basics. It took me a while to figure out how mercs work and how to best farm shards and buy upgrades, and I see a lot of players just attack enemy heroes with a deathmatch mentality. The lackluster minimap and FOV really are not helping either.

In my opinion, the game would really benefit from having a tutorial for the multiplayer modes.

docbon

I need to get some gear to beef up El Dragón's health pool. His default HP seems way too low as a melee.

Feels mega hype to play when you get the ball rolling.

I gotta say, my main concern was making everyone feel different. Fears assuaged.

Thorn is a goddamn paper shredder when upgraded, and Shayne just simply fucks shit up.

The only thing I dislike right now is how the single player (which is blatantly an afterthought) is so short, and obviously on a DLC pipeline.

Unicorn

Switched to using Miko or w/e the Mushroom is called so I can try and get the ice crystal creature since one of my packs had a skin for him, plus he's got a cho'gath esque ability of gaining more health the more enemies he kills with chomp.

Problem is I need to win 5 times. I've got 1 win, but man, I just can't get a streak going with games.

Remmy2112

Switched to using Miko or w/e the Mushroom is called so I can try and get the ice crystal creature since one of my packs had a skin for him, plus he's got a cho'gath esque ability of gaining more health the more enemies he kills with chomp.

Problem is I need to win 5 times. I've got 1 win, but man, I just can't get a streak going with games.

Protip, successful story missions count as a "win" for any of those win X mission objections.

docbon

8MiCyiF.gif
Reyna
PIfS5Bt.gif

Has bits of Zarya and Zenyatta in her toolkit (targetted shield and damage amp). Found her really fun to play in incursion.

edit: and that winston bubble for her ult ohoho

I live in Germany and seriously considering getting Battleborn (the beta has left a good impression on me). Though it depends whether it'll run at 60fps as the developers mentioned earlier, cause the beta was locked at 30fps.

i don't think they will be able to reach 60 fps, would be cool, but i don't think so

still it's a must have for me :)

Trigonx

8MiCyiF.gif
Reyna
PIfS5Bt.gif

Has bits of Zarya and Zenyatta in her toolkit (targetted shield and damage amp). Found her really fun to play in incursion.

Yeah, someone else who loves playing Reyna. In one match I ended up 6-0-20. Would pick off the enemies as they ran off with 1/10th life, and over shield the melee dps on my side. Love the homing mark.

Menome

Reposting for our new PC & Xbox One players:

COMPETITION TIME

I'm currently creating the Battleborn OT, but I don't have a catchy title.

Due to an order mix-up, I will also have a spare Steam key from cdkeys.com.

Post your suggestions for an OT title and the best ones will go into a draw, with the winner having their title being used and a free copy of Battleborn for the PC!

Closing date: 30th April

ObiDin

How on earth do you use ISAC? Can't do well with him at all.

I was wrecking with him last night. Got over 200 kills in a story mission, then 10 player kills and over 60 bot kills with a spider tank kill in Incursion. He's great, but has no escapability.

Make sure you are holding down his main attack until the bar fills then release to fire a charged shot. Beef his shields until you get your ult and then hold both attack buttons while ulting. I've stayed in his ultimate form for 5 minutes at a time.

As for the OT title, I still vote for "Bordering on MOBAlands".

AzerPhire

I was wrecking with him last night. Got over 200 kills in a story mission, then 10 player kills and over 60 bot kills with a spider tank kill in Incursion. He's great, but has no escapability.

Make sure you are holding down his main attack until the bar fills then release to fire a charged shot. Beef his shields until you get your ult and then hold both attack buttons while ulting. I've stayed in his ultimate form for 5 minutes at a time.

As for the OT title, I still vote for "Bordering on MOBAlands".

Yea his ultimate is pure carnage. If your playing against a team with no long range character you can just wreck everybody and all the minions. If you upgrade him to increase movement speed when in ultimate and then at level 10 do the quick shield recharge you can stay alive for a very long time.

I find for the first half of the match he can be hard to play but once you get the ultimate and respawn times increase he can be an absolute game changer.

patchday

Good to see everyone is enjoying the game. It truly warms my heart

8MiCyiF.gif
Reyna
PIfS5Bt.gif

Interesting will have to check her out. I made it to L13 on ps4 but still low level on PC

the vampire looking guy with the 2 swords is a monster. I don't use him (i use the 4 arm girl) but damn man every time I'm up against that guy even when I'm a higher level I back up and only go against him if i have someone to help me out. He does a crazy amount of damage

Yea his ultimate is pure carnage. If your playing against a team with no long range character you can just wreck everybody and all the minions. If you upgrade him to increase movement speed when in ultimate and then at level 10 do the quick shield recharge you can stay alive for a very long time.

I find for the first half of the match he can be hard to play but once you get the ultimate and respawn times increase he can be an absolute game changer.

Yep, his ultimate is special in that it isn't a normal skill of a few seconds of duration, but it unlocks a second form. You can atay whatever amount of time in it. So there is a big difference in his early game and his mid-to_late game.

ObiDin

Yep, his ultimate is special in that it isn't a normal skill of a few seconds of duration, but it unlocks a second form. You can atay whatever amount of time in it. So there is a big difference in his early game and his mid-to_late game.

It's even better if you pop his shield skill(with reflect) before ulting as it will still be on during his ultimate. His ultimate really allows for a huge amount of burst damage at the cost of very slow movement speed. He's pretty well balanced because of this.

Try changing the abilities setting to "quick". That way a single button press will put down a pillar or hold it down for precise placement.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight and see if that changes my opinion of Orendi.

It's even better if you pop his shield skill(with reflect) before ulting as it will still be on during his ultimate. His ultimate really allows for a huge amount of burst damage at the cost of very slow movement speed. He's pretty well balanced because of this.

Yeah, Thorn poison AoE killed me twice while I was in Ult form today, as I was too slow to move away, so it isn't like it's a win button.

One thing I'm liking from the open beta (in comparison with the closed technical beta) is that they increased everyone's move speed a bit, like 10%?. Game is more fun now.

I have the PSN credit and I really want to preorder the digital deluxe version...But I want Overwatch too and May in general is gonna crush my wallet

How accessible is this to someone not at all familiar with MOBAs? I like the style and character diversity but if the learning curve is too steep I just know I'm not gonna get into it. Fired it up and see there's also no tutorial? Hmmm...

How accessible is this to someone not at all familiar with MOBAs? I like the style and character diversity but if the learning curve is too steep I just know I'm not gonna get into it. Fired it up and see there's also no tutorial? Hmmm...

I had never played a moba before but I love this game. The mechanics for the two modes available now aren't very complex: kill enemy bots while protecting yours, use the shards to build up machines and activate gear, get to know the maps.

Side note, no ones playing Phoebe and I just need ONE match with her on my team to compete Marquis' lore-_-

Mossybrew

I play Phoebe all the time. Homegirl is actually the dopest. Favorite character.

I tried her once and sucked. It seemed like peeps could always just run away and I couldnt do shit when that teleport on cooldown. Any basic strategy for her? I think I just have a hard time with melee characters in general.

As far as mercs they can totally change the game, just played a round where enemy team was constantly recruiting them and our team wasnt and it made a big difference.

Anyway I think Im going to preorder, beta has won me over and my son digs it too.

I had never played a moba before but I love this game. The mechanics for the two modes available now aren't very complex: kill enemy bots while protecting yours, use the shards to build up machines and activate gear, get to know the maps.

Side note, no ones playing Phoebe and I just need ONE match with her on my team to compete Marquis' lore-_-
Thanks, I will definitely give it a spin then!

Hari Seldon

I installed the beta on pc, I couldn't use my mouse to navigate the menus. So I quit and uninstalled it. That is probably the farthest I will ever get in this game.

Couldn't get into Thorn, she just felt so unsatisfying.

I think it's the lack of damage. Coming from Overwatch and TF2 before it, I think I just have a built in expectation that bow & arrow setups will inherently do significantly more damage due to the increased degree of difficulty involved in landing shots.

ergo, if I can't kill people with 2 arrows, I'd rather use someone else. might just be me, but that was my opinion after giving her a go. she is strong, though. just have to spam skills when they're up. they're a pretty huge chuck of her damage package.

Heads up for GCU people BB is a $10 reward title! Grabbed my pre-order today.

It will be interesting with Overwatch so close but this feels more Moba and OW feels more TF2. I think think they can co-exist.

UltraJay

I installed the beta on pc, I couldn't use my mouse to navigate the menus. So I quit and uninstalled it. That is probably the farthest I will ever get in this game.

Except that you can? You can click any of the headers or buttons. I don't use buttons at all when using the menus except for a escape now and then. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The keybindings for menus don't make any sense though, especially coming from Borderlands which had menu keys that were intuitive.

Drewfonse

I think it's the lack of damage. Coming from Overwatch and TF2 before it, I think I just have a built in expectation that bow & arrow setups will inherently do significantly more damage due to the increased degree of difficulty involved in landing shots.

ergo, if I can't kill people with 2 arrows, I'd rather use someone else. might just be me, but that was my opinion after giving her a go. she is strong, though. just have to spam skills when they're up. they're a pretty huge chuck of her damage package.

It's a beta. Definitely some issues, but hopefully they will be remedied for release

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Just made the edit in.

It's for the Xbox One. It was for the Xbox One, as I just deleted it. Fuck that shit. Waiting 20 minutes to get into a lobby when I could be playing a game where the online actually works.

My NAT and all that stuff is fine too. Oh well, guess it would be my loss, or theirs, now I won't bother buying the game as I was very interested in buying it week one.

Meh, I have played lots of Xbone matches and never had to wait more than a minute or two for a match.

i feel that both her primary and specials do pretty insane damage. The last game I had with her was 23-1, absolutely destroying with her arrows and AoEs.

Of course, you have to use her abilities in unison with her basic attacks to get things done, but that's always how these type of games work. Still, you can land 400+ on a charged arrow shot. Her skills do not detract too significantly from her playstyle though, one of them is just involves shooting 5 arrows instead of one, so it hardly demands any shift in playstyle to throw that out at the start of encounters.

If you get these upgrades:

Blight slow down - use this to lock enemies down as they try to run
Blight +30% movement - use this to escape if you've misscalculated
Arrow penetration - useful for creeps
Volleys Applies Curse
Curse damage over time - extra 100 damage per curse and it prevents them from regening

Those 5 upgrades allow you to initiate fights with volley for 300+ damage, use regular arrows to deal 200-300 damage each on her basic attack, and keep them engaged with you by placing blight behind them.

Coupled with an extra health regen she has super high sustain, so you can harass the opposing team with AoEs, Curses and DoT like mad.

I usually take the increased jump height too as in incursion it allows me to jump onto the mid overwatch and surprise people. I love getting behind people, throwing down AoEs that damage and slow, then begining to engage them with volley. They take a moment or two to realise what's happening, run backwards, walk into a slowing AoE and die. She's a really great character.

On another note, while I to offer a counterargument to the PC vs Console stuff, having played it on PC too, I didn't feel that it was fundamentally much different. The increased FoV helps with melee based characters but it didn't feel like a night and day difference overall. For the most part, I was able to do everything that I was doing on PS4, and seeing the same success.

The biggest difference I would say is aiming with a mouse, as it made it easier for me to land my shots with thorn. Though I experienced more harassment from Marquis than usual, probably because it was easier for him to aim too.

Doubt I will be playing the PC version on launch, it's better (depending on your hardware), but not to a degree that isn't typical between PC and consoles.

I tried her once and sucked. It seemed like peeps could always just run away and I couldnt do shit when that teleport on cooldown. Any basic strategy for her? I think I just have a hard time with melee characters in general.

Phoebe definitely needs to level up a few before going in. Between various turrets, ranged enemies, and bots she goes down pretty quickly unleveled.

Yeah, the risk/reward for her seemed out of whack.

Top Bottom