• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

Of course they do in a long, close game, but you could also argue that early game cheaper gear pickups make a large early game difference which while leads to reduced late-game efficacy, can lead to significant cascading consequences.

If you score a few early kills and manage to make a push on the sentry, that's often a pretty determinant factor on your success in these games, on which early-game, cheap items has a far greater influence upon. So while they may be better long-term, they are far worse in the short-term early game. In addition, any $ not spent on items can be spent on field resources, so it isn't as if the team buying worse items loses out in the long term entirely. If they had say, an additional $3000 each by using greens rather than purples then that amounts to an additional 7 power bots (or other upgrades) each. That can have a pretty significant impact on the match too, and we'll need to see some high level play (which will take a little time to develop) to see how these things pan out in terms of gameplay balance.

Either way, for now I think it's safe to say you're jumping to conclusions that we simply don't have the information to make, and most certainly neglecting the disadvantages of purchasing those high-cost items.

I'm well aware of their disadvantages, that's exactly why I chose to say long and close matches. We are in agreement when it comes to this, and it's a pretty clever way of handling it I think.

I'm well aware of their disadvantages, that's exactly why I chose to say long and close matches. We are in agreement when it comes to this, and it's a pretty clever way of handling it I think.

Fair enough.

Though, if a match has gone on for a long time then the team with the higher-cost items arguably deserve that advantage as they've held their own in spite of the other team having faster access to their upgrades. Therefore, it does make sense that in a long-close game, the items like the ones you linked would be useful. In theory, those long-close scenarios are exactly what they should be used for. Though, that's only going to be impactful if your opposition doesn't have similar items.

I'm hoping that everyone will be able to get access to roughly what they want fairly accessibly though. One fortunate thing is that you do not have to do anything specific to gain decent drops, as you can just buy loot packs even if you don't play co-op. I think with a little time everyone will have access to everything they need for the characters they play. Of course there will be those that will want to grind for re-rolls on items for minute additional stats, but I don't see that aspect having a huge influence on match outcomes.

Menome

I'm starting to put together the OT now and the winner for the title, picked using http://pickatrandom.com/ is...

*drumroll*

Steel

with:

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Congratulations! I'll be contacting you via PM to arrange your free Steam code!

zugzug

so during the open beta was the pve content supose to be sorta easy and and just follow the numbers spend x time and earn items at end. Or will it change to be more challenging for release.

deoee

I'm starting to put together the OT now and the winner for the title, picked using http://pickatrandom.com/ is...

*drumroll*

Steel

with:

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Congratulations! I'll be contacting you via PM to arrange your free Steam code!

Great choice and congratulations to steel!

if you find need the code I have a friend in need ;p

When will the OT launch? :)

Top Bottom