• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

Menome

This should be all the entries so far. I'll personally curate them properly once I know they're all in, so I can whittle it down to the best entry from each competitor.

If your submission is missing from this list, re-post it below by the end of Saturday 30th

Battleborn IOTI Just call it a Hero Shooter Randy

Battleborn IOTI Not the Blizzard game

Battleborn IOTI Not a MOBA unless it has to be

BattleBorn |OT| Born for Battle
BattleBorn |OT| Quest for Loot
BattleBorn |OT| Is that Rath Right There?
BattleBorn |OT| End of the Universe

Battleborn IOTI Ambra won't give you the Claptrap

Battleborn IOTI Taste the Rainbow

Battleborn IOTI The Last Star Fights back Against The Void

Battleborn IOTI Fighting to Save the Bordered Lands.

Battleborn |OT| Overwatching the Borderlands

Battleborn |OT| Born for the Night's Overwatch
Battleborn |OT| BATTLE.NET not needed

Battleborn |OT| - over watch and smite the gigantic competition

Battleborn |OT| Raunchy Randy's Badaaassss Song
|OT| Saturday Morning Badasses
|OT| I Can't Believe It's Not Overwatch!
|OT| MOBA Evolve(d)

Battleborn |OT| What the hell is an Overwatch?!
Battleborn |OT| Remember Borderlands? It's back, in MOBA form.

Battleborn Ot Holding out for 25 Heroes till the end of the night (may be to long)

Battleborn OT After colonial marines, here are the real heroes!

Battleborn IOTI MOBAlands

Battleborn |OT| Bordering on the MOBAlands?

Battleborn [OT] Born to be Embattled
Battleborn [OT] A Battle is Born
Battleborn [OT] Congratulations....It's a Penguin in a Mech Suit!
Battleborn [OT] Gestation Complete.
Battleborn [OT] A Labor of War
Battleborn [OT] The Battle Ain't Over, Watch and See
Battleborn [OT] Not a Handsome Collection, Jack.

Battleborn [OT] Borderlands: The Legend of Korra

Battleborn [OT]: It Ain't Over 'til It's Overwatch

Battleborn |OT| Another MOBA Shooter

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Battleborn IOTI Overbotched

Battleborn |OT| Only 3 weeks to Overwatch, HELP!!!

Battleborn |OT| Born to be WiLD.

Battleborn IOTI Just another day in borderland with 25 other champions

Battleborn |OT| Voted Most Likely to not suceed
Battleborn |OT| Is Anyone Else Playing
Battleborn |OT| 25 Wild and Crazy Heroes

Battleborn |OT| Overwatch: Colonial Marines

Battleborn IOTI Watch Over the Battlefield

Watch Over The Borderlands

Battleborn OT | Haul ass and roast some noobs in 3...2...1

Battleborn OT | chikka chikka chikka-chik
(https://youtu.be/uSGV5U1FYC0?list=PLfCVmjOyKUS04b5hS78N4hp715khto6Lk&t=208)
Battleborn OT | Duty called. I answered. We hung out. Duty's awesome!

Those are all quotes from characters in the game

Battleborn [OT] Less than a Moba, Less than a shooter More Than Both

Battleborn [OT] Collaborate, Conquest, Call Victory for your own team!

Battleborn [OT] Why battle if you're not born for it?

Battleborn [OT] Let a new player be Born to to Battle yet another fight

Battleborn [OT] What is better, to be born good or to become good while doing battle?

all sucks i now :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Battleborn [OT] It's actually nothing like Overwatch

Menome

Anyone in the UK who's pre-ordered from Amazon might want to check the delivery date. Mine wasn't scheduled to arrive until Thursday, so I've cancelled it and gone for the Digital Deluxe edition on PSN.

I don't get it. This looks more interesting than Overwatch. But OW has all the hype?

Weird I thought they were the same game until watching the OP trailer.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't get it. This looks more interesting than Overwatch. But OW has all the hype?

Having played both the level of polish Overwatch exudes, Battleborn doesn't even come close to touching. Battleborn is interesting to me in that it's the only of this current crop of hero shooter/MOBAs that is trying to hybridize them, taking a little from the shooter column and a little from the MOBA column. Overwatch is just a straight up shooter, and it feels insanely good to play. Battleborn feels, honestly, kind of crappy to play, but its matches are a lot more MOBA-esque and interesting in my opinion. They're both wildly different games, despite surface appearances and it's a little irritating to me personally that they get compared head to head so often.

Overwatch should be getting compared ONLY to TF2 and Hi-Rez's (Smite developer) upcoming Paladins, which I've also played the beta of. Paladins is much more a straight up shooter than Battleborn is as well, but it doesn't have the smaller, focused, more vertically oriented maps of Overwatch, instead it takes place in more open area maps with lots of flanking opportunities and open combat.

IMO Overwatch is by far the best of "those" types of games (class/hero based shooters) and it is very deserving of its hype.

Battleborn is unique and interesting in its own right, but it flounders quite a bit on its art and sound direction. It will definitely be a lot more difficult for your average gamer to pick up and play.

koji

Being a Blizzard title carries a lot of weight. People seem really dead set on pitting these games against eachother while as far as I'm concerned they are two different beasts. So yeah, even before this has launched it's already DOA as far as "the community" is concerned because it won't "win" against Overwatch, which is bullshit, think they'll coexist just fine, hyperbole and polarisation is fun though.

TL;DR; because internet.

Being a Blizzard title carries a lot of weight. People seem really dead set on pitting these games against eachother while as far as I'm concerned they are two different beasts. So yeah, even before this has launched it's already DOA as far as "the community" is concerned because it won't "win" against Overwatch, which is bullshit, think they'll coexist just fine, hyperbole and polarisation is fun though.

TL;DR; because internet.

Also, because it's a really good fucking game?

Let's not pretend it isn't and that it's all rumor and speculation. It makes you look disingenuous at best, with a smidgen of pettiness on the side. Not a good look. Both games will be good, but serve a completely different gaming genre...with Overwatch being significantly more polished.

koji

Also, because it's a really good fucking game?

Let's not pretend it isn't and that it's all rumor and speculation. It makes you look disingenuous at best, with a smidgen of pettiness on the side. Not a good look. Both games will be good, but serve a completely different gaming genre...with Overwatch being significantly more polished.

Yeah not saying Overwatch isn't good just that the comparison is kinda awkward.

TL;DR; because internet.

Having played both the level of polish Overwatch exudes, Battleborn doesn't even come close to touching. Battleborn is interesting to me in that it's the only of this current crop of hero shooter/MOBAs that is trying to hybridize them, taking a little from the shooter column and a little from the MOBA column. Overwatch is just a straight up shooter, and it feels insanely good to play. Battleborn feels, honestly, kind of crappy to play, but its matches are a lot more MOBA-esque and interesting in my opinion. They're both wildly different games, despite surface appearances and it's a little irritating to me personally that they get compared head to head so often.

Overwatch should be getting compared ONLY to TF2 and Hi-Rez's (Smite developer) upcoming Paladins, which I've also played the beta of. Paladins is much more a straight up shooter than Battleborn is as well, but it doesn't have the smaller, focused, more vertically oriented maps of Overwatch, instead it takes place in more open area maps with lots of flanking opportunities and open combat.

IMO Overwatch is by far the best of "those" types of games (class/hero based shooters) and it is very deserving of its hype.

Battleborn is unique and interesting in its own right, but it flounders quite a bit on its art and sound direction. It will definitely be a lot more difficult for your average gamer to pick up and play.

Thanks for the info. I knew about Overwatch a bit more. Only just discovered Battleborn today believe it or not.

I'm in the market for a new competitive FPS. Currently playing Unreal Tournament pre-alpha (I know, totally different) but your description of Paladins is interesting so will look at that too as well as Epic's MOBA.

koji

I'm in the market for a new competitive FPS. Currently playing Unreal Tournament pre-alpha (I know, totally different) but your description of Paladins is interesting so will look at that too as well as Epic's MOBA.

If you're in the market for a hardcore competitive FPS Overwatch is going to be just that. :)

Paragon looks great as well.

Based on impressions LawBreakers is also one to look out for.

If your on PC, but by the time they nail a console release for that game, the console crowd will be left behind, and playing other games.

I really doubt that, overall, that Lawbreakers will see the same level of popularity as Overwatch, even on PC. I think they are missing an opportunity not to push it onto consoles at the same time, and while I think it's noble to focus on PC-first, they are naive to ignore a majority audience (in most AAA FPS (e.g. Battlefield, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six), if you total players across both XBOX ONE and PS4 they outweigh the PC playerbase).

Remmy2112

If you're in the market for a hardcore competitive FPS Overwatch is going to be just that. :)

Paragon looks great as well.

Paragon also would not be something I would classify as a shooter. It is more akin to Smite in that it is a third person MOBA. Yes you do aim abilities and basic attacks but your ranged attacks, abilities, etc all have a finite range. If you aim a ranged shot across the map and fire your projectile is going to disappear long, long before it reaches the distance you aimed at.

Do you guys think the season pass is worth it?

I bought it already, but just wondering.

Maybe? I got the season pass, but thinking about it: the five characters are going to be added for free(though, they probably have some sort of level restriction like the others do). The season pass gets you the five story stages, and the five characters without having to mess with leveling up, probably.

Do you guys think the season pass is worth it?

I bought it already, but just wondering.

Mm, depends. It includes 5 missions which, in my playtime, take about an hour or so to play through on normal. Skins and taunts can't really be judged until we see them but if they're anything like the exclusive skins in the digital deluxe edition, I'm good. The golden skins for pre-ordering are far better than those.

If the DLC missions prove to be great for farming equipment then I'd say that will probably tip the scales for me. As it stands now, I'll wait for a sale.

Lucifon

I think it's a bit lame the servers aren't online and are only switching on right on the dot at launch. I understand the game isn't out yet. But I received my copy today and simply can't play it, despite the game having single player content.

It's extra annoying when the launch date is the same day as the overwatch beta, and it's currently a bank holiday 3 day weekend in the UK in which I have a new game that would be perfect to get into but I can't do anything with.

I know it's mostly an online game, but most retail shooters these days have servers ready and live days before launch.

deoee

I think it's a bit lame the servers aren't online and are only switching on right on the dot at launch. I understand the game isn't out yet. But I received my copy today and simply can't play it, despite the game having single player content.

It's extra annoying when the launch date is the same day as the overwatch beta, and it's currently a bank holiday 3 day weekend in the UK in which I have a new game that would be perfect to get into but I can't do anything with.

I know it's mostly an online game, but most retail shooters these days have servers ready and live days before launch.

I can't think of any game that had playable multiplayer before launch :eek:

Plus you can always try an Australian vpn Monday evening

Lucifon

I can't think of any game that had playable multiplayer before launch :eek:

Plus you can always try an Australian vpn Monday evening

If you're talking about shooters on consoles I've never come across one which hasn't been playable online a few days before launch! PC games it's obviously different as they don't unlock til the day but that isn't an issue with console games. I've got the game with what seems to be the day 1 patch installed and can start it but literally can't do anything until Tuesday including single player. I can't even get onto the main menu.

deoee

If you're talking about shooters on consoles I've never come across one which hasn't been playable online a few days before launch! PC games it's obviously different as they don't unlock til the day but that isn't an issue with console games. I've got the game with what seems to be the day 1 patch installed and can start it but literally can't do anything until Tuesday.

Oh okay. I barely play FPS on console and did not know that. Well I guess you'll have to wait just a bit more and stare at that tasty box :/

patchday

Thanks for the info. I knew about Overwatch a bit more. Only just discovered Battleborn today believe it or not.

Keep in mind this game is heavily influenced by MOBA and it appears to include a version of Borderlands random loot system. Gear is a factor here.

So let's say its a mix of RPG elements with FPS

Overwatch is more of a purer FPS with all characters available to play at launch (no grinding for them). And no grinding for random loot packs. Battleborn on other hand you have to play the game to unlock the characters and items are a factor.

Both games are fun and it will be interesting to see what happens

Btw, may I also recommend Rainbow Six Siege? Check it out on twitch.tv. Amazing fun.

Keep in mind this game is heavily influenced by MOBA and it appears to include a version of Borderlands random loot system. Gear is a factor here.

Gear may be a factor but it's in no way a 'version of Borderlands' loot system'.

Loot in this game has no where near as much influence as it does in Borderlands. It doesn't significantly adjust your base properties, only give or take small percentages across a variety of attributes. In contrast, Borderlands loot leads to astronomical variance in things like damage output.

I think it's important to clarify that regardless of gear, each character retains its overall capabilities. The tanks are still tanky without the correct items, for instance, and it's not as though you're ever short of gear options, as it's easy to gain a vast array of decent gear. Particularly as the items that give worse enhancements are much cheaper to purchase and therefore can be acquired much earlier on in a match.

Even if we look at how loot is distributed (via packages that can be dropped or bought) it's not similar to Borderlands, the only similar factors are the colour scale denoting rarity, and the fact that drops are rando.

Gear may be a factor but it's in no way a 'version of Borderlands' loot system'.

Loot in this game has no where near as much influence as it does in Borderlands. It doesn't significantly adjust your base properties, only give or take small percentages across a variety of attributes. In contrast, Borderlands loot leads to astronomical variance in things like damage output.

I think it's important to clarify that regardless of gear, each character retains its overall capabilities. The tanks are still tanky without the correct items, for instance, and it's not as though you're ever short of gear options, as it's easy to gain a vast array of decent gear. Particularly as the items that give worse enhancements are much cheaper to purchase and therefore can be acquired much earlier on in a match.

Even if we look at how loot is distributed (via packages that can be dropped or bought) it's not similar to Borderlands, the only similar factors are the colour scale denoting rarity, and the fact that drops are rando.

While you're right in that gear isn't quite as influential as it is in Borderlands, some of the legendaries can certainly be considered powerful and make the difference in a close, long match.

patchday

Yeah I simply meant the loot has randomly generated stats on them (like Borderlands)

Something to keep in mind- this is a loot game (RPG) / FPS.

Not a traditional FPS where a newbie is on even plane with a veteran

This is why I posted alternative for fans of hero shooters looking for fair, balanced pvp (Rainbow Six siege & overwatch)

Also it should be said this game runs at 30 fps (not 60) on console

Special C

Yeah I simply meant the loot has randomly generated stats on them (like Borderlands)

Something to keep in mind- this is a loot game (RPG) / FPS.

Not a traditional FPS where a newbie is on even plane with a veteran

This is why I posted alternative for fans of hero shooters looking for fair, balanced pvp (Rainbow Six siege & overwatch)

Also it should be said this game runs at 30 fps (not 60) on console

The loot in this game has much less bearing than unlocks in other popular "competitive" shooters like CoD or Battlefield. The only difference is the RNG, but the overall effect is actually less.

patchday

Yeah but unlocks in CoD, BF4, Rainbow, etc do not have any dice rolls that determine if you get them or not. Often, RNG is only used for vanites plus in CoD blops 3 in Arena mode everything is unlocked anyway
[edit] CoD might have some dlc weapons in the chests determined by RNG -but- everything unlocked in ranked so....

* Not defending Blops 3 dlc weapons being random though to be perfectly clear

Battleborn OT | You mad, bro?
(A character says it in game. Amazing.)

Oscar Mike, right? I love his dialogue. Like when you're getting damaged, "nice hacks, bro!".

Also reading his lore it goes into how he is from a planet of clones and how there is a King Mike and Queen Mike. I hope we can play a level on that world lol.

Anyone know if they made it easier to rank up your command level? I saw a PC user on twitch playing early access and he was max level 100. Maybe he just played a fuckton, idk.

Xevren

Anyone know if they made it easier to rank up your command level? I saw a PC user on twitch playing early access and he was max level 100. Maybe he just played a fuckton, idk.

A good number of the people in early access had access for a good long while to be fair. I kept hearing it's supposed to level slower on release but idk.

While you're right in that gear isn't quite as influential as it is in Borderlands, some of the legendaries can certainly be considered powerful and make the difference in a close, long match.

Of course they do in a long, close game, but you could also argue that early game cheaper gear pickups make a large early game difference which while leads to reduced late-game efficacy, can lead to significant cascading consequences.

If you score a few early kills and manage to make a push on the sentry, that's often a pretty determinant factor on your success in these games, on which early-game, cheap items has a far greater influence upon. So while they may be better long-term, they are far worse in the short-term early game. In addition, any $ not spent on items can be spent on field resources, so it isn't as if the team buying worse items loses out in the long term entirely. If they had say, an additional $3000 each by using greens rather than purples then that amounts to an additional 7 power bots (or other upgrades) each. That can have a pretty significant impact on the match too, and we'll need to see some high level play (which will take a little time to develop) to see how these things pan out in terms of gameplay balance.

Either way, for now I think it's safe to say you're jumping to conclusions that we simply don't have the information to make, and most certainly neglecting the disadvantages of purchasing those high-cost items.

Top Bottom