• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

daedalius

They launch the same month, so you could say they're competing for your money.

I'm probably going to grab Overwatch on launch, and Battleborn too if I can find a good sale.

Sort of the same month, 3rd and 24th are about as far from each other as they can get; at least in terms of my paychecks haha.

Amazon prime preorder is like 47 :)

I hope they add a longer cool down on Thrall camps in the final game. They seem to respawn way too quickly imho.

I think people just need to adjust to the game speed, like you can B and do a camp really quick....but i think for pugs this game wont be very competitive, its very hard to make everything happen in sucha short time span.

After Evolve I am very hesitant to dive day one into a 2k published MP focused title. The support for Evolve has been abysmal. I worry what the user base for this game will be at $60 a pop.

patchday

Gearbox supported Borderlands for a good long while after it released right? I didn't play those much but it seemed well supported

Evolve- they just recently had a 2nd dlc pack that included new hunters. So even though game was kinda a flop (I think) they still released free maps, dlc packs, etc. People like to throw salt on Evolve and I'm not attacking anyone for that- but it was kinda okay...

It was the concept itself and Turtle Rock's execution that bungled it. But that's a different topic

Hope to see Battleborn do well it was fun :)

I have almost 500 hours on Evolve, I'm not one of those mindlessly hating on it.

By support I am talking more about the health of the game. I know they have put out a lot of DLC for it, all 2k games have loads of DLC it seems. But patches to improve the game and fix broken elements have been very rare. Hell they have been hyping the next update for the game for freaking months, its sad.

I just worry that Battleborn will suffer similar fate, especially with such a weird concept and high price tag.

Man, Orendi is very satisfying when you chain her skills together to constantly reduce cooldowns. She has an incredible amount of burst available.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Played some games with a full 5 man stack tonight and the experience was a lot better than queuing solo or with 2-3. Even tho we were all low skill we managed to win 3 of our 4 games.

I started playing the mushroom healer, and that hero was definitely more my speed. I spent a long time unlocking the luchador guy but 2 games with him and I had no clue how to kill people much less do so without dying instantly. Melee heroes in this game seem unwieldy. Aiming your punches among the visual fracas that is the combat in this game is nigh impossible to me and having no build in sustain on the Lucha and only one initiation/escape tool... It was just too hard for me. Healshroom was a lot easier to just practice good positioning and keep my friends up while still helping contribute to kills. I mainly play supports in other MOBAs, so I probably should have tried it sooner here.

Overall consensus among the five of us was more positive than the first day, but I don't think it moved the needle on anybody's hypemeter.

daedalius

Played some games with a full 5 man stack tonight and the experience was a lot better than queuing solo or with 2-3. Even tho we were all low skill we managed to win 3 of our 4 games.

I started playing the mushroom healer, and that hero was definitely more my speed. I spent a long time unlocking the luchador guy but 2 games with him and I had no clue how to kill people much less do so without dying instantly. Melee heroes in this game seem unwieldy. Aiming your punches among the visual fracas that is the combat in this game is nigh impossible to me and having no build in sustain on the Lucha and only one initiation/escape tool... It was just too hard for me. Healshroom was a lot easier to just practice good positioning and keep my friends up while still helping contribute to kills. I mainly play supports in other MOBAs, so I probably should have tried it sooner here.

Overall consensus among the five of us was more positive than the first day, but I don't think it moved the needle on anybody's hypemeter.

I would not mind at all if the melee heroes were 3rd person

Indignate

Would be a bit harder to aim at heads for those sweet crits, I think.

I personally didn't find much of a problem keeping track of people in melee as I thought I would. If I did lose someone, the minimap would put me back on track.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I would not mind at all if the melee heroes were 3rd person

It almost seems necessary. The only time I'm able to have any situational awareness as a melee hero is when I'm in Rath's ultimate.
Would be a bit harder to aim at heads for those sweet crits, I think.

I personally didn't find much of a problem keeping track of people in melee as I thought I would. If I did lose someone, the minimap would put me back on track.
By the time I was able to use the map to orient myself towards someone I was trying to slay they were already far enough away from me that chasing them was impossible. Especially with only one skill able to be used as a chase, which would also need to double as my escape if I ran into more enemies.

The End

Gearbox supported Borderlands for a good long while after it released right? I didn't play those much but it seemed well supported

Evolve- they just recently had a 2nd dlc pack that included new hunters. So even though game was kinda a flop (I think) they still released free maps, dlc packs, etc. People like to throw salt on Evolve and I'm not attacking anyone for that- but it was kinda okay...

It was the concept itself and Turtle Rock's execution that bungled it. But that's a different topic

I can see it having a slow burn: it'll get swamped in may but when it's cheaper in the fall and there's more content out for it people will start picking it up in larger numbers

vakarian32

It almost seems necessary. The only time I'm able to have any situational awareness as a melee hero is when I'm in Rath's ultimate.

I found myself sometimes using Rath's Catalytic Smash skill to scope around corners before rushing in, it puts you in 3rd person until you use the skill or cancel it.

Kuga

Downloaded the Steam beta this weekend... it was a good time! Not $60 worth of entertainment but certainly a neat game.

I exclusively played as Thorn since she seemed to be the "high risk, high reward" sort of offensive character. Got to level 13 / command 13 with 106:35 k:d across 11 PVP matches, which isn't terrible imo. Her AoE blight is insane when specced with slow - trapping players or nuking entire groups of bots is amazing. Thorn can burn down most champions in a couple seconds. Just hang out at midrange and meander around for opportunities to gank people or break pushes. If the match goes to rank 10 then her ultimate just wrecks with the second blight summon on top of the huge burst damage. Worthy of Song indeed.

PVE was alright but the lack of content wasn't very appealing. I played it mostly to get loot drops since I was interested in what was available. The mode definitely has potential if sufficient variety becomes available.

Battleborn doesn't get my preorder right now - maybe if there's more information on what content will be available at launch.

daedalius

Phoebe is pretty amazing, but her melee woes of targeting are worse than Rath, simply because I think Rath attacks in an arc, while phoebe really only hits right ahead of her.

Her damage and mobility are nuts tho.

patchday

Can anyone actually play melee in this game? Feels so cramped and I have no clue what's going on.

Well with Rath you mostly hit R1 to knock them up in the air (so they cant go anywhere) and then you ult. After that they should be dead if they're squishy. I wasn't a Rath main but that's what I did the few times I played him

But yeah in general it is very hard to stick to victims in a melee fight. Overall I found it difficult to keep track of people. I prefer 3rd person for melee fighting

But you know- the first person melee with Rath's glowing swords really does look cool at least. Maybe folks will adjust or just stick to ranged mostly unless they're tanking

I have almost 500 hours on Evolve, I'm not one of those mindlessly hating on it.

By support I am talking more about the health of the game. I know they have put out a lot of DLC for it, all 2k games have loads of DLC it seems. But patches to improve the game and fix broken elements have been very rare. Hell they have been hyping the next update for the game for freaking months, its sad.

I just worry that Battleborn will suffer similar fate, especially with such a weird concept and high price tag.

[edit] Thanks for your reply. You have more hours then me by a longshot in Evolve and it does echo complaints from Evolve-GAF

LiQuid!

Playing El Dragon was a mess cause both of his abilities more or less either take control away from you or change your perspective in a way that makes it hard to orient yourself afterwards. One of them eventually lets you knock opponents up in the air too. With all the crazy perspective changing and enemy movement it's so, SO hard to keep a beat on where they are just to get regular ass punches in. It really was an absolute mess to play. Granted I only played him for two matches, maybe it gets better, but I think having first person melee feature so prominently in this was kind of a misstep.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I can see it having a slow burn: it'll get swamped in may but when it's cheaper in the fall and there's more content out for it people will start picking it up in larger numbers

You mean when Gears 4, Titanfall 2, and Battlefield 5 start rolling out? I dont think so.

deoee

I'm kinda sad I just started playing the beta yesterday.

First 2-3 games were "Wtf is going on - what a shit game" and then it clicked.
Now I can't wait to play more but I still want to try out Overwatch too.

LiQuid!

If they had a $30 or $40 package for this where it was just the PVP multiplayer stuff divorced of all the campaign stuff with all the heroes unlocked from the jump I'd probably bite. Paying full price when I'm not interested in the campaign stuff even slightly is a bad look. Having to go thru all the hullabaloo of unlocking heroes (or just grinding command levels to do it) is just not what I'm looking for.

deoee

If they had a $30 or $40 package for this where it was just the PVP multiplayer stuff divorced of all the campaign stuff with all the heroes unlocked from the jump I'd probably bite. Paying full price when I'm not interested in the campaign stuff even slightly is a bad look. Having to go thru all the hullabaloo of unlocking heroes (or just grinding command levels to do it) is just not what I'm looking for.

It's funny.

People tend to be pissed when there is no singleplayer campaign (Titanfall, Evolve) and also tend to be pissed when there is a Singleplayer campaign.

Mhhh

Also the amount of people disconnecting and/or leaving in this game is... it's just beyond me.

LiQuid!

It's funny.

People tend to be pissed when there is no singleplayer campaign (Titanfall, Evolve) and also tend to be pissed when there is a Singleplayer campaign.

Mhhh

Also the amount of people disconnecting and/or leaving in this game is... it's just beyond me.

There are a lot of people that don't enjoy MOBAs and competitive multiplayer in general. I'm an edge case because I enjoy both, so don't take what I say as wide opinion.

It's definitely in Gearbox's best interest to have this campaign included, even if I find it shallow and unfun, because it's the only thing that even comes close to justifying them charging $60 for this thing.

I'm afraid this thing is going to tank due to not doing enough to appeal to people just interested in the campaign or just people interested in the PVP.

I was unlocking various character lore that I could in this beta, and Attikus has a lore entry that I think spoils the end of Battleborn's campaign.

Oops?

CrimsonN0

Hmm, well, its taken like two dozen games, but I've finally become decent at the game, well, that or I'm facing people way worse than me.
I was mostly playing with Oscar Mike, but have also gotten okay with Rath.
Somehow, though, I think I've done way better with Ambra despite just unlocking her.
EDIT: Now, first game using Phoebe and I did awesome with her. 27 kills and the highest score of the match.

Other than that, anyone else gotten a weird bug where you don't spawn with your weapon. In a game, I picked Montana and he didn't have his minigun, it wasn't invisible either anything - pointing at enemies and hitting fire did nothing, but Hailstorm still iced him and the dash could still damage enemies - just no minigun until I died and respawned.

Exile20

I don't get it. The hate Neogaf has for this game is ridiculous. It just feels people hate BB because OW exist or something. I never played both before this weekend but I am so glad I didn't get in for the OW beta because I could spend some quality time with BB and I had a blast. I played many many hours and really enjoyed it.

I will see how OW is when the open beta starts and decided between the two.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I put in about 4 hours today with the beta, it's decent but feels a bit loose for my liking (for lack of a better word).

Definitely prefer Paragon from what I've played, the frame rate felt a little janky too, but I think it's cause I'm so used to 60fps now (that was 30fps locked right?).

Still, definitely fun: might pick it up on release: love the colour pallette!

Slathe

Enjoyed what I played of the beta. I think it's sufficiently different from Overwatch to stand on its own. I wish my group liked it more as I don't think any of them will pick it up which makes it a tougher buy for me. Still torn on whether to get it or not.

Odrion

Banned
Not sure why people compare it to Overwatch. They are different games right?

They're both taking the concept of having large selection of classes with MOBA style abilities and cooldowns and executing them in two different ways.

Battleborn is trying to implement them into more MOBA styled gameplay and Overwatch is trying to implement them into a more traditional FPS style of gameplay.

Hasney

They're both taking the concept of having large selection of classes with MOBA style abilities and cooldowns and executing them in two different ways.

Battleborn is trying to implement them into more MOBA styled gameplay and Overwatch is trying to implement them into a more traditional FPS style of gameplay.

Yup, that and how close they are in terms of release.

They did, but Battleborn and Borderlands are completely different games requiring different types and amounts of support. I don't think we've seen Gearbox support a multiplayer game that well in the past.

Battleborn will need persistent updates, hotfixes, balance adjustments, etc. We've not had a demonstration that the studio is capable, and on the other hand, we have plenty of developers proving that they are not, on a regular basis (e.g. Rainbow Six Siege, Garden Warfare 2).

I'ma still buy it though. I had a lot of fun. If you get it on PS4 we should team up, but would you be getting it on PC?

I miss this game. After playing about 30 hours of the beta, I will now purchase this game day one!

I think I'll even pre-order the digital deluxe version. I find this game to be very fun. I'm loving this new "hero-shooter" genre. This, Overwatch and Law Breakers will be in my future.

daedalius

I miss this game. After playing about 30 hours of the beta, I will now purchase this game day one!

I think I'll even pre-order the digital deluxe version. I find this game to be very fun. I'm loving this new "hero-shooter" genre. This, Overwatch and Law Breakers will be in my future.

Me too, wanted to play earlier today.

No goodbye message or anything, you just can't receive the server data

Same. I haven't played Lawbreakers so I don't know about that one but this, Overwatch, Smite, Rainbow Six (rainbow six siege is kind of a hero shooter) are my games right now.

LiQuid!

Not surprised. Kind of neutral coming out of it. Went in really wanting to like it since it presses so many of my buttons. Have a lot of mixed feelings coming out of it, yet I still feel like I wanted to spend more time with it. Not $60 worth of time with it however.

Top Bottom